"Batman: The Adventures Continue (2020 Mini-Series)" Comic Book Talkback (Spoilers)

Batman: The Adventures Continue - Rate and Discuss this Series!

• Total voters

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
And both DC and Comixology shows #8 is split into 3 chapters and they all release on December 17.

-Chapter 15
The holidays are here and Harley is in full-on cheer mode! After permission from Poison Ivy, Harley sets up a party and invites all the villains in Gotham for one night of Christmas cheer. But one villain didn’t get the invite and wants to put an end to Harley’s unholy night. Can Batman infiltrate the festivities and save the villains or will this be the end of crime in Gotham?!

-Chapter 16
Harley’s holiday gift exchange is in full swing, but one of the gifts is a bit…incendiary. Batman needs to pull some holiday hi-jinks and keep the treacherous present away from its recipient otherwise the party’s going to blow sky high!

-Chapter 17
It’s a race through Gotham as Batman and Robin chase down the gift and its recipient. Can Batman get a hold on the villain and save the New Year’s celebration or will this new year be over before it even starts?!

Pfeiffer-Pfan

Cool Rider
A great little issue today. Truly felt like an episode of the show. If the comic did continue, standalone stories like this seems to be the way to go. With Dini/Burnett/whoever staying true to the spirit of the animated show and telling stories they WANT to tell, not shoe-horning in characters in order to support a toyline.

Looking forward to the next two parts.

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
From the visionary producers of Batman: The Animated Series, discover new adventures in the famed DC Animated Universe with Batman: The Adventures Continue!

BATMAN: THE ADVENTURES CONTINUE #15

Written by: Alan Burnett and Paul Dini
Art by: Ty Templeton

The Story: The holidays are here and Harley is in full-on cheer mode! After permission from Poison Ivy, Harley sets up a party and invites all the villains in Gotham for one night of Christmas cheer. But one villain didn't get the invite and wants to put an end to Harley's unholy night. Can Batman infiltrate the festivities and save the villains or will this be the end of crime in Gotham?!

Digital Release: December 17, 2020
Price: $0.99

Note: Issues #15 - 17 make up a full-length story. Issue #16 will be available digitally on Dec. 18, and Issue #17 (the last issue ... for now) will be available digitally on Dec. 31.

Discuss this special holiday-themed issue of Batman: The Adventures Continue (the first of three) right here! What did you think?

Spider-Man

I'm going to echo Pfeiffer! This is the BTAC comic I would've liked from the get-go.

Did anyone get their issue late? My copy is usually available shortly after midnight but it didn't unlock until 6am or so this morning. I don't pay close attention to how Comixology rolls out but it really seems like so many issues have been late or misdated and so on.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Aw... guess Wesker regressed and Scarface returned again post-"Double Talk". And now the Joker has set his sights on using him to likely get the CX payload to blow up Harley and Ivy's party... for not getting invited.

Nice little detail of the explosives in Jim's glasses. lol, Mayor Hill got in one panel, one line appearance in this series. Montoya! But ouch, Scarface's gang died. Ho ho, saw that coming, Bullock got slugged. Dr. Leland! Nice to see she still is upbeat at this point, considering her job.

Batman in midair descending with Wesker reminded me of "Dark Heart" when Superman got him at the last second.

Nice little twist with the opening case turning out to have took place before BTAC #1.

The Thin Man and Annie Get Your Gun movie talk exchange was well played to show Harley and Ivy's report. In-universe, Betty Hutton is in her 80s per Ivy's "you're a little too late." But to us, it's a rather grim reference as she passed away in 2007. Was hoping there would be a little callback to "Holiday Knights" - which is essentially was a year ago in-universe. And Harley knows Joker alright, he is gonna try and kill everybody, lol.

That Santa's workshop "Dummy" panel - guff!

Robin's "I won't ask how you know that." lmao.

And Straightman is still in the mix.

Mostly a standard part 1 set up issue but a lot of great little moments, references, and jokes.

I'll guess the rest of the CX is buried in the foundation of the Gotham Plaza Christmas tree.

Last edited:

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
From the visionary producers of Batman: The Animated Series, discover new adventures in the famed DC Animated Universe with Batman: The Adventures Continue!

BATMAN: THE ADVENTURES CONTINUE #16

Written by: Alan Burnett and Paul Dini
Art by: Ty Templeton

The Story: Harley's holiday gift exchange is in full swing, but one of the gifts is a bit...incendiary. Batman needs to pull some holiday hi-jinks and keep the treacherous present away from its recipient otherwise the party's going to blow sky high!

Digital Release: December 18, 2020
Price: $0.99

Note: Issues #15 - 17 make up a full-length story. Issue #17 (the last issue ... for now) will be available digitally on Dec. 31.

Discuss this special holiday-themed issue of Batman: The Adventures Continue (the second of three) right here! What did you think?

Frontier

Staff member
Wesker and Scarface! I mean, we kind of already gave them an ending in TNBA, but it's nice to see them all the same :D.

Oh yeah, Scarface's gang all died because we can say that now in this comic. It ain't just for kids anymore :eek:.

Oh hey, Mayor Hill! Haven't seen him in a while. Reminds me of the Batman Adventures comics where he retired and Penguin took over :ack:.

Dr. Leland is one of the unsung heroes of the DCAU. Remaining chipper and committed to patient rehabilitation even in a place like Arkham :cool:.

It's kind of jarring for me that they're going with a Harley who's acting like she's completely split from Joker and more independent with Ivy knowing what happens in RoTJ. I get why they're writing her that way, it just feels kind of disingenuous to me :(.

Harley and Ivy dressed glamorously for the holidays :D.

Kite Man! Heck yeah! I'm guessing King Shark is there because he was in as a nod to the Harley cartoon. And...Captain Boomerang, for some reason. Guess he got to make out with Roxy Rocket, so not a total loss :p.

Oh hey, they actually explained away Penguin's TNBA redesign from reconstruction surgery...that's more than they did for most of the other redesigns :sweat:.

Hey, Knute Brody, the world's worst henchmen the Batfamily all pose as from that anniversary story Paul Dini wrote! Neat ;).

Ivy has another human friend? And she's seemingly not a dangerous criminal? Seems like this Kwan woman is being set up to give Arnold some healthy love once he's finally moved on from Scarface :).

I honestly thought Harley and Ivy were going to be the main villains of this arc, but the one with malicious intent is Joker and the crux of the plot is the fate of Arnold Wesker. Is Batman even going to deal with the queens of crime at all in this story? Or maybe there little Holiday bliss will be part of the denoument o_O?

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Storage room had some interesting bits: looked like a Freeze Gun, Hatter's hat and circuitry card, the plant monster and Ivy's crossbow gauntlet thingie from Pretty Poison, Riddler's cane, Penguin's umbrella maybe (though wouldn't make sense for Arkham), and some jack-o-lanterns (maybe Almost Got 'Im?)

Bit an mistake with Baby Doll saying her age, she should be older. In her debut episode, she was 30. No way only 2 years passed. She's more like 34. And thankfully it was a veiled reference, Harley basically implies she invited work friends -- the Suicide Squad namely Deadshot, Captain Boomerang, and Clock King -- but canon wise that makes no sense because Deadshot isn't recruited until a few years later in the JLU era. Or Condiment King being there for that matter.

But Batman as the worst henchman ever as Santa? Gold.
Kite Man! Heck yeah! I'm guessing King Shark is there because he was in as a nod to the Harley cartoon. And...Captain Boomerang, for some reason. Guess he got to make out with Roxy Rocket, so not a total loss :p.
Well, it was an eclectic bunch: The Wonderland Gang (The Walrus, Tweedledum and Tweedledee, The Carpenter, March Hare), Baby Doll, Roxy Rocket, King Shark, Captain Boomerang, Deadshot, Scarecrow, Magpie, Ratcatcher, Kite Man, Clock King, Mad Hatter, Condiment King (kinda flimsy canon wise), Nostromos (deep dive there); some who never appeared in any of the cartoons like Magpie, Ratcather, King Shark, Kite Man.
Oh hey, they actually explained away Penguin's TNBA redesign from reconstruction surgery...that's more than they did for most of the other redesigns :sweat:.
That was amusing. It makes sense since Jason Todd was between BTAS/AOB&R and TNBA.
Ivy has another human friend? And she's seemingly not a dangerous criminal? Seems like this Kwan woman is being set up to give Arnold some healthy love once he's finally moved on from Scarface :).
Seems that way.
I honestly thought Harley and Ivy were going to be the main villains of this arc, but the one with malicious intent is Joker and the crux of the plot is the fate of Arnold Wesker. Is Batman even going to deal with the queens of crime at all in this story? Or maybe there little Holiday bliss will be part of the denoument o_O?
The loglines were a little misleading. They did hint at Joker. But it's definitely looking to be Scarface and Joker. The 3rd logline implies a time skip to New Year's Eve. So presumably the other 50 pounds of CX will be found and used.

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
Storage room had some interesting bits: looked like a Freeze Gun, Hatter's hat and circuitry card, the plant monster and Ivy's crossbow gauntlet thingie from Pretty Poison, Riddler's cane, Penguin's umbrella maybe (though wouldn't make sense for Arkham), and some jack-o-lanterns (maybe Almost Got 'Im?)
They had some Penguin stuff in Arkham Aslyum (the game) too. I think maybe Arkham just collects villain material even if they're not actually Arkham inmates.
Bit an mistake with Baby Doll saying her age, she should be older. In her debut episode, she was 30. No way only 2 years passed. She's more like 34. And thankfully it was a veiled reference, Harley basically implies she invited work friends -- the Suicide Squad namely Deadshot, Captain Boomerang, and Clock King -- but canon wise that makes no sense because Deadshot isn't recruited until a few years later in the JLU era. Or Condiment King being there for that matter.
This series has already had plenty of timeline issues :p.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
This series has already had plenty of timeline issues :p.
It's annoying but there's space to work with like some things on JL vs Fatal Five

1. I just assumed the guy that's him in the comics took over the Condiment King name. Same with the Firefly Jason Todd fought in the previous arc, some other guy.

2. Harley's 'friends from work' line was vague enough to ignore the discontinuity because Deadshot doesn't join the Task Force X in the JLU era several years after when this story is supposed to take place (off the top of head I have this issue on December 24, 2001 and "Task Force X" is Memorial Day 2005 for example). The compromise is she meant other criminals just like when she was trying to tell Harley who she'd invite in the first chapter. "Work" is equated to "committing crimes" - that sort of mindset.

3. Baby Doll lied about her age or was already drunk or had her license suspended two years prior.

OverMaster

Bad at Videogaming
To be fair, Rhino didn't seem to be in Scarface's gang during this outing (if this takes place after Double Talk, maybe Scarface's still angry at him), so odds are he didn't die.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
To be fair, Rhino didn't seem to be in Scarface's gang during this outing (if this takes place after Double Talk, maybe Scarface's still angry at him), so odds are he didn't die.
Yeah, none of them looked like the gang he had in BTAS/AOB&R and TNBA.

M.O.D.O.K.

Scientist Supreme
Staff member
I've been enjoying this story for the most part. I think it's gelling better than the rest of the series since it doesn't feel like it's cramming in a new character into the continuity. There's still some continuity errors and I don't know if I like it undoing the story from Wesker's last appearance in TNBA, but it at least keeps the sympathetic angle on him.

My favorite part is probably the villain Christmas party, since I usually like stories where they just interact and do mundane things. Lots of cameos here and there, even from villains that were never part of the DCAU before like Ratcatcher, Kite Man, and Magpie. Scarecrow as the Ghost of Christmas Future was probably the best gag, followed by Penguin's holiday away from Gotham and the explanation for his design change between shows.

Some quibbles: I still don't like how Harley is written to be more like her modern self when we know that's not going to stick. I think having ANOTHER story with Joker as the main antagonist is very repetitive, though I liked Straightman's appearance. Finally, I wonder why this was teased as a Harley and Ivy story when it clearly is more of Ventriloquist one.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts