"Batman: The Adventures Continue (2020 Mini-Series)" Comic Book Talkback (Spoilers)

Batman: The Adventures Continue - Rate and Discuss this Series!

• Total voters

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Batman: The Adventures Continue "Red Son Rising, Pt. 1"

I actually liked that.

I feel like Jason's behavior seems much more sinister here than he was acting behind the scenes in earlier issues. Maybe that's a huge mislead on his intentions. But I actually think things could go either way.

The last couple of issues have been total messes, so it was nice to read an issue I enjoyed. ****.

Spider-Man

I've got caught up on the series before the last issue this week and as interesting and mostly enjoyable this book has been it definitely reminds me how much of BTAS and the DCAU were a collaborative effort and how a lot of that was the right people at the right time making the right choices and that's lacking a little bit here. I'm not so ridiculously obsessive about canon as most folks are but it's gotten a bit distracting here to the point where it seems more important than the story itself. It doesn't have that seem feeling as most other DCAU/BTAS books and shows have. Even Batman & Harley felt more "on brand" than this does and I don't think I'm ever going to get over Batman kicking over Nora Fries' dead body. It's great having Dini and Templeton back but something about this whole series has felt off. I do want to see how this all wraps up but this series is heading for a good read but one that's still disappointing.

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
From the visionary producers of Batman: The Animated Series, discover new adventures in this seminal animated world! Discuss the final issue of Batman: The Adventures Continue right here!

BATMAN: THE ADVENTURES CONTINUE #14

Written by: Alan Burnett and Paul Dini
Art by: Ty Templeton

The Story: The Red Hood's plan against the Bat-Family comes to a head as he offers Batman a choice: kill the Joker or Robin dies!

Digital Release: October 15, 2020
Price: $0.99

Discuss the final issue (for now) of Batman: The Adventures Continue right here! What did you think? Share all your thoughts right here!

Pfeiffer-Pfan

Cool Rider
Did anyone find the moment when Batman was mocking Jason (''For a weak, immature Robin, maybe'') and then immediately tries to keep him focused when Joker does it (''Don't let him get to you''), a little strange?

I honestly feel Batman's ''voice'' has been a little off during this series. However, Dini doesn't disappoint with his Joker. Still as fun as ever.

Last edited:

M.O.D.O.K.

Scientist Supreme
Staff member
It's one of the better issues and the inclusion of Slade and Sunny wrapped things around nicely, but it's still a pretty abrupt ending and I don't like how the series handled Jason Todd. Rather than do something unique that covers similar emotional beats, it's pretty much a recreation of the same story but with a less sympathetic Jason. The comic being tongue-in-cheek about it also being Tim's backstory doesn't make it better. Bruce mocking Jason for a bit also rubbed me the wrong way. So did Straightman suddenly coming back to life to save Joker.

I also noticed that, despite Dick being put in multiple covers and mentioned a few times, we never actually got to see him. I guess there's the bonus Christmas story coming out, but I'm not holding my breath.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Heading into this finale, I was starting think this could have just been the last 3 issues. We didn't need 7. But then the epilogue. So Deathstroke wins ultimately?

I did like that without the utility belt, Batman had to resort to mind games to keep Jason focused on him while Tim deciphered his wording and escaped and helped end things. Joker was amusing as usual but got a bit dark with him getting shot in the arm and a bit of foreshadowing with him admitting he added some tech to Straightman's head -- since we all know what happens to Tim eventually.

I had a feeling we'd have an ambiguous death fall but I didn't think until the end, it would be another sewer death fall. <cough>MOTP<cough> Big debris takes out the big strong guy also seems like something from B:TAS. lol. It was interesting Tim Drake was involved in this version of the Red Hood story but too bad Batgirl's involvement was spotty. Really, they didn't think to search the boat passing through the harbor in plain view of them? I was also a bit surprised there wasn't some scene of them unpacking and talking in the Batcave but eh.

So did Straightman suddenly coming back to life to save Joker.
I don't think they outright said the chandelier killed him.

I also noticed that, despite Dick being put in multiple covers and mentioned a few times, we never actually got to see him. I guess there's the bonus Christmas story coming out, but I'm not holding my breath.
I'm going to assume he's been starting to split his time between Gotham and Bludhaven until finally moving to Bludhaven outright closer to the events of the ROTJ flashback. And in the couple weeks these issues take place roughly November-December, Nightwing was in Bludhaven working a big case of his own or was even out of state. And no one bothered to (or would) ask him for help. I mean, Alfred should have and would have but... idk, Nightwing was incommunicado for whatever reason - undercover, etc.

Frontier

Staff member
As far as a DCAU adaption of Under The Red Hood (which this basically was), I thought it was okay even if it ultimately was pretty predictable if you'd seen the original aside from the nods to Return of The Joker.

I like that there was some emphasis on how much Batman cared about Jason and wanted to do right by him (up until the end where he was trying to throw him off), but while I understand it's somewhat necessary from a story standpoint I feel like they had Jason go a little too off the rails here. He's much more nuanced than someone who would kidnap Tim and put him in this situation, but I guess he had to be an antagonist at the end of the day. And Batman didn't leave him to die, he freed him from his bounds before going to secure Joker. The problem was Jason wouldn't let Bruce get away without taking Joker out :(.

Deathstroke and Sunny...for sequel bait? Or to make their appearance feel more consequential. I'm still disappointed we never got a Batgirl vs Sunny fight (so Batgirl at least got to do something significant on-panel other than the rescue). I guess Jason is the Grant/Joey to Sunny's Rose in the Deathstroke family they have set up here :ack:.

I mean, it doesn't get any better than Dini writing The Joker. Honestly I'd say Joker was more on-point in this series than Batman. I loved how he wouldn't let someone force him to kill Batman and pointed how there was really no convenient way to deal with Jason that didn't end with a lot of questions. And just admitting he hasn't thought about Jason since that night :p.

I have mixed thoughts about this series overall but I'm hoping they can deliver a fun ending with the Harley and Ivy Issue :).

Spider-Man

I was pretty underwhelmed by the ending and it seemed like the book just couldn't hold up to its promise. It actually ended up feeling more by-the-book than I was expecting. The Joe Chill subplot was actually handled really well and I got a lot of that. And the twist at the end, the Joker's wife is alive and with a son, was a surprise. Still DC still can't stop leaning on the likes of Killing Joke.

Though none of this really makes sense when you consider this book spun out of The Darkseid Saga arc and Batman asking the Moebius Chair doesn't quite fit with this any more. Not a bad story but Geoff Johns was reaching further than he could and it shows. It just falls a little flat at the end.

The art and coloring on this book were second to none though. Incredible!

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Dive deeper into the history of the Red Hood in the print edition of Batman: The Adventures Continue!

BATMAN: THE ADVENTURE CONTINUES #6

t-06ac.jpg

Written by: Paul Dini and Alan Burnett

The Story: Batman's clash with Jason Todd continues as he hunts for information on his former Boy Wonder. Meanwhile, Alfred recounts Jason's rampage against the criminal underbelly of Gotham City and what led him to a confrontation with the Clown Prince of Crime, The Joker!

Print Edition Release Date: Nov. 3, 2020
Print Edition Cover Price: $3.99

Rate and discuss Batman: The Adventures Continue right here!

Spider-Man

I've noticed that the earlier issues of this comic have been coming harder to come by and issue #2 is apparently a hot back issue. Is there any reason for that?

It looks like DC is getting better at combining the two digital pages into one. I couldn't help but notice the top and the bottom half of the pages blend much better together now.

Has there also been any word on a trade collection yet?

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I've noticed that the earlier issues of this comic have been coming harder to come by and issue #2 is apparently a hot back issue. Is there any reason for that?

It looks like DC is getting better at combining the two digital pages into one. I couldn't help but notice the top and the bottom half of the pages blend much better together now.

Has there also been any word on a trade collection yet?
11/8: Off the top of my head, this could have been the point when things got dicey because of DC leaving Diamond and going to UCS for distribution so during the transition period, we're seeing less copies being ordered maybe.

There is no word yet on a trade paperback for BTAC. They added an issue twice now, so that could be delaying a date announcement. Perhaps it will come up in solicits this month or next.

11/20: BTAC trade paperback comes out in June for $16.99.

Last edited:

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Has there been any confirmation as to when the Harley and Ivy issues will release digitally?
Not yet. Templeton is still working on them. I would guess December 4 and 18 to sync with the back drop of the issue. I doubt December 25 since all eyes on Wonder Woman '84 that day for DC, imo.

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
The Red Hood story-line comes to an end in the print edition of Batman: The Adventures Continue!

BATMAN: THE ADVENTURE CONTINUES #7

Written by: Paul Dini and Alan Burnett

The Story: The stage is set for Jason Todd's master plan. Batman must kill The Joker - or Red Hood will kill Robin! Can Batman turn the tables on his Boy Wonder turned bad and save Tim Drake, or will Batman finally put an end to the Clown Prince of Crime's shenanigans?

Print Edition Release Date: Dec. 1, 2020
Print Edition Cover Price: $3.99

Rate and discuss Batman: The Adventures Continue right here!

Spider-Man

I have to say these last two issues read better in print together than as separate digital issues. It still has some problems but it works a lot better.

I know the last digital issues of BTAC are coming before the end of the year but has there been a release date yet?

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I know the last digital issues of BTAC are coming before the end of the year but has there been a release date yet?
Nope, not yet. But there's only 2 choices really: the 10th and the 24th or the 17th and the 31st. EDIT: Seems like the latter based on Monica Kubina's best guess.

Last edited:

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Batman: The Adventures Continue "Red Son Rising, Part 2"

I'm not sure the comic needed to have a solid reason we never saw Leslie Thompkins on The New Batman Adventures. I just always assumed the writers were bored with her because she was a boring character. Not everything needs to be rationalized.

Sid the Squid. That's one of those moments you knew the writers wrote simply because the fans would go nuts. For two reasons mostly: 1. Nobody but a major fan of the cartoon would remember who he is. Sid never would have returned on the animated series itself, even if it had lasted ten more seasons. The precise fact we see a one and done character past the one which is why the cameo is memorable, appreciated, and unusual.

I am not a fan of this comic book relaunch but I want to give it major credit for something. One of the things I hate about all DC projects outside of the Timmverse is that they portray Harley Quinn as a murderous psychopath. Without fail. And that was NEVER her subtext on Batman: The Animated Series or the various spin-off shows and movies she appeared in. Her refusing to kill Jason Todd's Robin and having to be taken from the hideout kicking and screaming is the Harley I remembered and was able to sympathize with. And that's probably because the issue was cowritten by Paul Dini himself. But no other DC media project understands that Harley loves a brutal killer despite the fact that she isn't one herself. That's one of the biggest conflicts and contradictions I always loved about the character. But DC is much happier dressing her as a stripper and gorily killing people left and right. I do not think the Harley Quinn cartoon or the recent Birds of Prey movie are entirely worthless as far as pieces of entertainment go. But neither of them use a Harley Quinn I remotely recognize.

That was decent fanservice. ****.

Batman: The Adventures Continue "Red Son Rising, Part 3"

It's stated in a vulgarish way by the Joker, but this is the first and only time it's been revealed that Harley and Ivy became a couple in the DCAU at one point.

Emil Dorian is not the same level of geek as Sid the Squid. I'm wonder who the writers thought they were impressing by bringing him up.

I very much like that the Joker of all people is refusing to play Jason's game. For a couple of reasons: Joker "losing" the game would result in the precise level of chaos he always wanted, so he'd totally be willing to die for that. And if that's so, the game is stupid and illogical, and not worth playing. And as Batman noted, a competent Robin could totally escape that trap.

Not sure what was up with the Deathstroke ending. We're almost out of issues. Not the best place for long-term foreshadowing.

I have very few fan demands when it comes to future DCAU projects. I don't even demand they all be produced by Bruce Timm. But one thing I will insist is that if this miniseries ever gets an animated adaptation, Clancy Brown MUST voice Straightman. I don't care that he's already Luthor, he would be perfect. Again, I think Clancy Brown would be more necessary for an animated adaptation of The Adventures Continue than Bruce Timm would be.

That was interesting, but I didn't like the ending because I don't feel we have enough time left to wrap everything up. ****.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.

Featured Posts