"Batman: The Adventures Continue (2020 Mini-Series)" Comic Book Talkback (Spoilers)

Batman: The Adventures Continue - Rate and Discuss this Series!

• Total voters

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Batman: The Adventures Continue "Mentors Part 1"

I have to say I don't much like this. The tone is far too dark and I don't recognize the fun DCAU in the sensibility of story. I'll still buy and read the comic but it's not what it was being billed as. **1/2.

Batman: The Adventures Continue "Mentors Part 2"

Again, this does not feel like the DCAU to me. I'm not happy. **1/2.

Pfeiffer-Pfan

Cool Rider
I'm seeing some rough reviews for this comic on various sites, with many highlighting how the writing is downright horrendous/amateurish.

I do think the writing feels a little off, but it's hardly that bad. Such a shame that most returns to the DCAU (even visually) seems to get a hard time of it. I guess you really can't go home again.

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
After a slight delay, Batman: The Adventures Continue has arrived! From the visionary producers of Batman: The Animated Series, discover new adventures in this seminal animated world! Discuss Batman: The Adventures Continue right here!

BATMAN: THE ADVENTURES CONTINUE #10

Written by: Alan Burnett and Paul Dini
Art by: Ty Templeton

The Story: The secret history of Batman's second Robin revealed at long last!

Digital Release: August 13, 2020
Price: $0.99

Discuss the latest installment right here! If you thought the last issue was full of surprises, well, brace yourself ...

jtstrecker

Watchtower Database
What a weird release timing...we stayed up to midnight as usual to read and discuss this, gave it like an hour and it wasn't there, with several websites saying it wasn't gonna show up until tomorrow. Then I wake up and it's there. Oof.

Not a ton of easter eggs in this one. Some fun villain (and Summer Gleeson) cameos, and more muddying of the "Lost Years" timeline. But not bad overall. Cool to finally see the Red Hood costume. Weird new Robin costume (and new Batgirl costume?).

I'll obviously have much more to say in our review/breakdown, coming 8/23. I'm tired.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Idk, the writing is really getting off the rails, imo. But I guess because the story is centered around Jason, it's natural for things to get a bit more grimdark. I curious if this mini-series would play out the same way if Bruce Timm was involved in writing, too. I do like how Alfred still plays the voice of reason in this mini-series.

Eh, only way to make it work is say that was a different Firefly and Garfield appropriated the name and costume later on because of his fire obsession. Shrug.

What was up with Batgirl's costume, seemed like they melded the BTAS and TNBA into a third costume. Or the colorist made a boo-boo. EDIT: Yeah, ok, it's the TNBA design but with blue gloves and boots instead of yellow.

Jason's I get, easy to say he made his own changes as time went by.

I guess you could say this encounter is what leads Crane to go grim and adopt the creepier TNBA look.

Geez. Bruce got sucker punched by Dick and not sucker drop kicked by Jason. But too bad the cover ruined that shocker scene.

I wonder if #6 will be the conclusion or if they stretched it to #7. I've been musing it would be funny if #7 is a one-off that explains where Nightwing was this whole time - like having his own problems, taking on the Court of Owls and Talon or something. lol. Cause, he should still be based in Gotham at this point...

Frontier

Staff member
I'm glad they made it important that Bruce cares about Jason and wasn't just using him as a replacement for Dick or was some, cold, unfeeling, machine when it came to him. And Jason thinks Bruce doesn't believe in him when it couldn't be farther from the truth :crying: .

Jason tossing Crane off a roof reminded me of the first "sin" comic Jason committed was letting a guy fall to his death :ack:.

Costume chronology is still a little weird. Batgirl had her B:TAS design even though, chronologically, she was already wearing the black and yellow suit instead of the blue and grey. I guess it's darker to show some kind of sense of it being in-between shifting between her two costumes, but it's still kind of weird :confused:.

As popular as Scarecrow's redesign was, it was kind of surreal seeing him in his old look although I still heard Jeffrey Combs in the dialogue :p.

The Red Hood design still looks good :).

Pfeiffer-Pfan

Cool Rider
I ALSO read it as Combs!

Guess I'm the odd one out as I read it as Polic II (who is quite underrated). Old mask... old voice. :)

I enjoyed this issue, but it still doesn't feel like a natural fit at all. I really wish DC/WB would take a gamble and let Timm/Dini/Burnett/whoever have a stab at the DCAU without restrictions:

- It's B:TAS but filtered through the lens of TMNT (2012).
- It's TNBA (visually) but it's also a mature, raunchy, buddy comedy filtered through the lens of the Harley Quinn character.
- It's a JLU movie (but not really), we are only using the designs.
- It's TNBA but we are simply fitting in action figures where there is really no room for them. You only have six issues and we want you to feature ALL these characters.

I'm happy and grateful to have this, as it's fun and nostalgic, but the DCAU is so beloved that you have to make sure any new content/additions is of a similar quality. As we near the end, I'm not sure I would have glowing praise for B:TAC.

M.O.D.O.K.

Scientist Supreme
Staff member
You know something? Considering Scarecrow's role here, I wish it was him and not Joker that "killed" Jason. He could return to get revenge on Jason who humiliated him by catching him off-guard. He could even bust out his TNBA costume for that. It would be a way to avoid repeating Joker traumatizing another Robin and bring a neat twist to this DCAU take on the character. Plus, it's not like Joker is relevant to Red Hood's identity anyway.

Frontier

Staff member
You know something? Considering Scarecrow's role here, I wish it was him and not Joker that "killed" Jason. He could return to get revenge on Jason who humiliated him by catching him off-guard. He could even bust out his TNBA costume for that. It would be a way to avoid repeating Joker traumatizing another Robin and bring a neat twist to this DCAU take on the character. Plus, it's not like Joker is relevant to Red Hood's identity anyway.
Considering how much they've changed about the character so far, it probably wouldn't be too much of a stretch, even if I believe Jason's hatred of Joker is kind of a big part of his character.

Pfeiffer-Pfan

Cool Rider
I'll never understand how it's "not a JLU movie"...but I suppose that's a topic for a different thread. ;)

Let me clarify... I absolutely consider it a JLU movie, but it wasn't designed to be a JLU movie from it's inception. It became one from a visual standpoint in order to differentiate it from other JUSTICE LEAGUE projects.

That paints the creative team into a bit of a corner and stunts narrative development or any natural progression that Timm and co may envision.

Timm even said the movie is not what he would have done had he known it was a 'JLU' movie upfront.

We have been fortunate to get new DCAU projects, but they have definitely been littered with limitations and restrictive boundaries.

This is, in my view, exactly the issues plaguing the creative team of B:TAC.

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
Let me clarify... I absolutely consider it a JLU movie, but it wasn't designed to be a JLU movie from it's inception. It became one from a visual standpoint in order to differentiate it from other JUSTICE LEAGUE projects.

That paints the creative team into a bit of a corner and stunts narrative development or any natural progression that Timm and co may envision.

Timm even said the movie is not what he would have done had he known it was a 'JLU' movie upfront.

We have been fortunate to get new DCAU projects, but they have definitely been littered with limitations and restrictive boundaries.

This is, in my few, exactly the issues plaguing the creative team of B:TAC.
Which is kind of funny when they took an actual DCAU story and gave it a fresh coat of paint to make Crisis on Two Earths :p.

b.t.

Which is kind of funny when they took an actual DCAU story and gave it a fresh coat of paint to make Crisis on Two Earths :p.
Following Owlman’s theory of parallel worlds — specifically his point about there being timelines that are vastly different and others where the differences are so minute as to be almost completely inconsequential, my personal head canon is that the events of CRISIS ON TWO EARTHS actually DID happen in the DCAU JL/JLU timeline, but with a different GL on the team.

As for the ‘new coat of paint’ , let’s just say we don’t like to let good ideas (and entire scripts) go to waste...

#TeamMike

When it was announced Jason Todd was going to be part of this comic I knew right then was no way this could fit in the B:TAS canon.

But I don't care because when it comes to DCAU comics, I follow the B.T. rule of thumb of which none of them are canon, even the ones they wrote like Mad Love until it was adapted by the show.

I went into this just wanting it to be good... and while it hasn't been bad, it's been rather safe and generic. Even though it's written by Dini and Burnett, much of it feels like fanfiction.

It's yet another example for me to add to the pile why the DCAU should be left alone lol.

Last edited:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts