"Batman: The Adventures Continue (2020 Mini-Series)" Comic Book Talkback (Spoilers)

Batman: The Adventures Continue - Rate and Discuss this Series!

• Total voters

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Huh. I wonder how the physical #3 will be titled - Mentors Part II or stuck to III?

Ah, used the museum fight to sow discontent in Tim. Batman telling him to go home and grounding him are just going to add to that. Lovely turn with that battle revealed to be just a sham and Lex hired Deathstroke to get revenge for what happened to him in the first issue. I love how Red Hood is now the x-factor that could sabotage Deathstroke and Lex's plans because he has his own plans for Batman - heh heh.

That was pretty funny Batman pulled off the disappearing act on Deathstroke.

Robin's mention of his geometry teacher was nice hat tip to Len Uhley. And to Grant Morrison with the street name. The Hephaestus Sword was a surprise though I wonder if that's real or part of the sham. I think the latter. Kobra, while part of the lie, still a cool reference. The 9/11 reference is problematic depending how your personal timeline is set up - could be potentially during JL season 2 now. But heh heh, Deathstroke knows his Johnny Mathis.

Was a little surprised editorial let Lex swear. Shrug.

M.O.D.O.K.

Scientist Supreme
Staff member
I guess that explains why Firefly doesn't use that suit in Justice League.

I'm a bit sad that interest in this series has died down. I wasn't into the earlier chapters, but I think it has improved a lot by this point, both in terms of story and art.

majcvd49

I guess that explains why Firefly doesn't use that suit in Justice League.

I'm a bit sad that interest in this series has died down. I wasn't into the earlier chapters, but I think it has improved a lot by this point, both in terms of story and art.

I mean I certainly wouldnt say interest has died down per se. They extended it by another issue, so sales must be good. I just dont think people come here to discuss comics too much.

That being said I love this new arc. Thought the first was overly simplistic and pedestrian. This one has some solid heft to it; I think the length is helping it.

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
The first print issue of Batman: The Adventures Continue has arrived!

BATMAN: THE ADVENTURE CONTINUES #1 (of 6)

Written by: Paul Dini and Alan Burnett
Art by: Ty Templeton
Covers: Main cover - Dave Johnson; Variant cover - Dan Mora; Black variant cover

The Story: From the visionary producers of Batman: The Animated Series come all-new stories in this seminal animated world. In this opening chapter, Wayne Enterprises in Gotham City is attacked by a giant robot that steals an entire room from the laboratory. Who's controlling the robot? How will Batman stop the mechanized menace? And what does it all have to do with Lex Luthor's sudden appearance in Gotham?

Print Edition Release Date: June 9, 2020
Print Edition Cover Price: $3.99

Rate and discuss Batman: The Adventures Continue right here!

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
The "Mentors" arc concludes! From the visionary producers of Batman: The Animated Series, discover new adventures in this seminal animated world! Discuss Batman: The Adventures Continue right here!

BATMAN: THE ADVENTURES CONTINUE #6

Written by: Alan Burnett and Paul Dini

The Story: Deathstroke enacts his final plan to kill the Dark Knight, luring him away from the rest of the Bat-Family. Can Batgirl and Robin deduce Deathstroke plans, or will Gotham have a new, more brutal, protector?!

Digital Release: June 18, 2020
Price: $0.99

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Okay, that was an interesting way to adapt Deathstroke. He was only looking to absorb Batman's operation into his and take on more kids. Made the young protege angle the focus. The real bonus for him was he was being paid to assassinate Batman. Aaand the Hephaestus Sword is the real deal. Yikes. Kinda cliche with the whole I'll tell you my whole plan shtick but had to somehow tell us what the rest of the plan was and what better way to hoist him on his own petard for when Batgirl and Robin intercede.

Makes perfect sense Batman would notice Firefly's nuances were off. Not a good time in Gotham for Sunny. Also so Batman to make use of the Firefly costume against Deathstroke. He must have thrown that fire extinguisher really hard. lol.

Not a deal breaker, but Barbara has a job as a librarian at GSU? Uh, Okay. Brainstorming. Since this is post-TNBA, maybe she's taken up a second job in addition to her GCPD tech job, to start saving up for grad school.

Jason's method of intervention was clever indeed. And no fingerprints left. Clutch. But I wonder how he dodged the library's and campus' security cameras.

A lot of nice meaty bits of timeline info.
-Tim Drake mentions a Bond movie has been out for awhile. The two titles that spring to mind that have a chance of working, at least for my timeline, would be The World Is Not Enough on November 19, 1999 or Die Another Day on November 22, 2002. I'm thinking the former.
-Tim mentions he passed his geometry final. The news channel timestamp of EST in the first chapter of Issue #2 frames this mini-series taking place between the first Sunday of November and the second Sunday in March because of daylight savings. So Tim's final would be in December. Around mid-December.
-Tim admits to Barbara he's been Robin for almost one year.
-Past chapters have placed the mini-series having to take place after World's Finest, Growing Pains, Torch Song, and Legends of the Dark Knight.
-The one problem in the whole series for me is the 9/11 reference. But if I disavowed it as an anachronism and what not, I'm currently feeling good about this series taking place before or at the most around the time of Secret Origins. But then again, still 4 issues to go. And it really depends on everyone's own take on the overall timeline. Shrug.

iammattie

-The one problem in the whole series for me is the 9/11 reference. But if I disavowed it as an anachronism and what not, I'm currently feeling good about this series taking place before or at the most around the time of Secret Origins. But then again, still 4 issues to go. And it really depends on everyone's own take on the overall timeline. Shrug.

I think one of the things that makes the most sense to me with this is that 9/11 occurs earlier in the DCAU. It would explain why the Justice League didn't intervene, and also could be part of the reason why GWB never made it into office as people may have not taken him seriously post 9/11. It also gives a little more potential backstory to groups like CADMUS and ARGUS having been born out of the similar yet different surveillance state that follows those events.

If I recall correctly, the only other time 9/11 came up in the context of the DCAU was a Static Shock comic that was specifically written as part of DC's Post-9/11 collection. It used design work from the TV show, but has a few plot elements that don't work (such as Frieda being aware of Virgil's identity) which I had taken to mean maybe it happened later on down the timeline, so it's interesting that we're now presented with a case for it being earlier.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I think one of the things that makes the most sense to me with this is that 9/11 occurs earlier in the DCAU. It would explain why the Justice League didn't intervene, and also could be part of the reason why GWB never made it into office as people may have not taken him seriously post 9/11. It also gives a little more potential backstory to groups like CADMUS and ARGUS having been born out of the similar yet different surveillance state that follows those events.
That could work but conversely, there's the notion that the JL simply couldn't be everywhere (or were off world) - just like in the Young Justice canon and 9/11 still happened in 2001. Still, if I could use the magic wand, I'd make Deathstroke's line a reference to something earlier like the U.S. embassy bombings in 1998.

But like I said, still 4 issues left before I draw any conclusions.

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Azrael comes to Gotham in "The Darkest Knight!" From the visionary producers of Batman: The Animated Series, discover new adventures in this seminal animated world! Discuss Batman: The Adventures Continue right here!

BATMAN: THE ADVENTURES CONTINUE #7

The Story: The Knight of St. Dumas, Azrael, arrives in Gotham and he's burning through the city in search of something stolen from the Church. Can Batman wrangle the aggressive vigilante or will his flaming sword pierce the Dark Knight?!

Digital Release: July 2, 2020

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I still say the buyer was Ra's. If it is, hope they address "Demon Reborn" - and basically reveal that because they didn't finish taking all of Superman's power, the process reverted and Ra's was back to square one with his failing health. And the Shawl is what's next on the list of artifacts he thinks can restore him to full strength again.

Neat way to weave in Azrael/Jean Paul and the Church of St. Dumas. One of the places Bruce trained at before he returned to Gotham and became Batman. And Bruce and Jean Paul are old acquaintances from that time.

Hands down, funniest scene was Alfred calling up Batman about a guest.

Kinda chuckled they had time to make Jean Paul a new set of armor.

Did not expect a giant bird to end the chapter.

Kind of a set up issue but par for the course with this series.

Frontier

Staff member
It was nice to see Catwoman again and in the midst of a classic chase between her and Batman before Azrael swooped in. When the cover came out I was really pumped for a Bruce and Selina team-up, but then he has her arrested by the GCPD :(.

Was Montoya the officer carting Selina away and making the cat jokes? Just weird to see her in a normal officer uniform considering the timeline :confused:.

Catwoman suggesting using the shawl to heal Batman's heal Batman's heart made think of the Gotham Adventures comic that showed the big "breakup" between the two and how that lead to her redesign. At least Bruce admits he still partially enjoys the chase :p.

That Alfred scene with Azrael was amazing :D.

Not a bad job of integrating Jean-Paul and Azrael/St. Dumas mythos into the DCAU Batman continuity. I never would have thought of having Bruce learn from the Order during his travels and knowing Jean-Paul as a friend, but that's actually a pretty clever take :).

So the Azrael armor was deliberately designed to look like Batman. And then Bruce gives Jean-Paul the idea to use the AzBats armor :rolleyes2:.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Was Montoya the officer carting Selina away and making the cat jokes? Just weird to see her in a normal officer uniform considering the timeline :confused:.
I doubt it. They wouldn't make that dumb of a mistake. Just another nameless GCPD cop.

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
The latest print edition of Batman: The Adventures Continue has arrived!

BATMAN: THE ADVENTURE CONTINUES #2

Written by: Paul Dini and Alan Burnett
Covers: Main cover - Sean Murphy; Variant cover - Dustin Nguyen

The Story: Slade Wilson has come to Gotham City, and his arrival is making the Dark Knight very suspicious. Robin, on the other hand, thinks the swashbuckling mercenary is just here to help. Is Deathstroke a friend or foe ... and what are his plans for Batman?

Print Edition Release Date: July 8, 2020
Print Edition Cover Price: $3.99

Rate and discuss Batman: The Adventures Continue right here!

hobbyfan

Okay, that was an interesting way to adapt Deathstroke. He was only looking to absorb Batman's operation into his and take on more kids. Made the young protege angle the focus. The real bonus for him was he was being paid to assassinate Batman. Aaand the Hephaestus Sword is the real deal. Yikes. Kinda cliche with the whole I'll tell you my whole plan shtick but had to somehow tell us what the rest of the plan was and what better way to hoist him on his own petard for when Batgirl and Robin intercede.

Makes perfect sense Batman would notice Firefly's nuances were off. Not a good time in Gotham for Sunny. Also so Batman to make use of the Firefly costume against Deathstroke. He must have thrown that fire extinguisher really hard. lol.

Not a deal breaker, but Barbara has a job as a librarian at GSU? Uh, Okay. Brainstorming. Since this is post-TNBA, maybe she's taken up a second job in addition to her GCPD tech job, to start saving up for grad school.

Jason's method of intervention was clever indeed. And no fingerprints left. Clutch. But I wonder how he dodged the library's and campus' security cameras.

A lot of nice meaty bits of timeline info.
-Tim Drake mentions a Bond movie has been out for awhile. The two titles that spring to mind that have a chance of working, at least for my timeline, would be The World Is Not Enough on November 19, 1999 or Die Another Day on November 22, 2002. I'm thinking the former.
-Tim mentions he passed his geometry final. The news channel timestamp of EST in the first chapter of Issue #2 frames this mini-series taking place between the first Sunday of November and the second Sunday in March because of daylight savings. So Tim's final would be in December. Around mid-December.
-Tim admits to Barbara he's been Robin for almost one year.
-Past chapters have placed the mini-series having to take place after World's Finest, Growing Pains, Torch Song, and Legends of the Dark Knight.

Babs as a librarian is a call-back to the live-action series.

Spider-Man

After a few COVID-related delays I'm glad to finally have the first two print issues in my hand. As nice as it is to read it digitally on the way to work or whatever it's so much better to have them in print and in my hands. I do wish the print version made more of an effort to hide that it's clearly two digital pages barely stitched together per print page but it's just great to have new stories in print in general. I've been really enjoying the series so far and I can't wait for the next digital issue next week. These read so much better in print too I find.

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Surprises await in the conclusion to "The Darker Knight!" From the visionary producers of Batman: The Animated Series, discover new adventures in this seminal animated world! Discuss Batman: The Adventures Continue right here!

BATMAN: THE ADVENTURES CONTINUE #8

The Story: After nearly killing Penguin, Azrael races to find the person who stole from the Church of St. Dumas. Batman, however, won't allow Azrael to use such aggressive methods. Who will be left standing when the Dark Knight faces the burning vengenance of St. Dumas?!

Digital Release: July 16, 2020

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts