"Batman: The Adventures Continue (2020 Mini-Series)" Comic Book Talkback (Spoilers)

Batman: The Adventures Continue - Rate and Discuss this Series!

• Total voters

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
From the visionary producers of Batman: The Animated Series comes all-new mini-series event from DC Comics featuring stories in this seminal animated world! Discuss Batman: The Adventures Continue right here!

BATMAN: THE ADVENTURE CONTINUES #1

Written by: Paul Dini and Alan Burnett
Art by: Ty Templeton

The Story: In this opening chapter, Wayne Enterprises in Gotham City is attacked by a giant robot that steals an entire room from the laboratory. Who's controlling the robot? How will Batman stop the mechanized menace? And what does it all have to do with Lex Luthor's sudden appearance in Gotham?

Digital Release: April 1, 2020
Price: $0.99

Welcome back to the DCAU! Talk all about Batman: The Adventures Continue right here at The World's Finest!

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Ha ha, fake out. We start on the tail end of a fight between Bane and Batman. Iceberg Lounge billboard, check.

lol, Bullock. Always ends up in a sideways squad car. I recall that happened to him in Mask of the Phantasm in the flashback.

Betting it now, Superman is in that robot against his will. The way the robot flew away is too reminiscent and how smug Lex was about Superman being missing...

Veronica Vreeland! Lot of name drops, Lois, Superman, Joker, "World's Finest", Daily Planet, Tim Drake. Nice.

That Claremon Airfield might be the same one in the opening scene of "Rebirth Part 1" -- it's what I thought of immediately.

Last edited:

Pfeiffer-Pfan

Cool Rider
Well, that's the first digital comic I've ever purchased. Definitely weird not to be actually holding an issue in my hand, but with everything that is going on, I thought I'd go ahead and give digital a go.

This was a fun opening chapter. The pacing seemed a little off, but I guess that's only becasue you are only really getting half an issue. Templeton's artwork is as gorgeous as ever, even if the backgrounds seem a little... sterile?

Burnett/Dini clearly nail the characterization but I'm worried this mini-series might end up juggling too many plot threads.

All in all, a great start and I'm looking forward to more.

iammattie

Betting it now, Superman is in that robot against his will. The way the robot flew away is too reminiscent and how smug Lex was about Superman being missing...

Now that you mention it.... I could totally see that. We've been trying to figure that one out.

That Claremon Airfield might be the same one in the opening scene of "Rebirth Part 1" -- it's what I thought of immediately.

That was my first thought. Doesnt check out. It's much closer to Gotham Airpirt from Sins of the Father though.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200401-002022_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20200401-002022_YouTube.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 364

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Now that you mention it.... I could totally see that. We've been trying to figure that one out.
I mean, it's a match to the whole up up and away pose when Superman flies upward... like this image.

That was my first thought. Doesnt check out. It's much closer to Gotham Airpirt from Sins of the Father though.
I discounted that because of the fact of how Batman describes Claremon as a tiny little strip south of Gotham. Gotham Airport is like the JFK International of Gotham I would think so it's a really big place located within Gotham. One thing to note about the airfield in "Rebirth" is that in the far shots, the design looks one way but in the close ups of the exterior, the design differs so I'm speculating it's the same airfield from Rebirth but a different hangar. But yeah visually, if you flip that shot you posted counter clockwise, design wise, it's a close match except none of the satellites on the tower roof I think. EDIT: And the wind sock and the main building doesn't appear to be on the right like in Sins.

EDIT2: Of y'know, it's just a location made up for the comic and we're severely overthinking this.

Last edited:

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Points to Alfred for referring to the mafia as the Costa Nostra.

Veronica mentioned she and Bruce did date, split up and became friends. This seems like news to me. Sure she always flirted with him, but I don't think it was ever confirmed they dated before?

Templeton's artwork is as gorgeous as ever, even if the backgrounds seem a little... sterile?
True, like the opening shot of the airfield. I chalked it up to digital drawing and coloring.

When have I ever been known to overthink anything??
Pass. :p

iammattie

Veronica mentioned she and Bruce did date, split up and became friends. This seems like news to me. Sure she always flirted with him, but I don't think it was ever confirmed they dated before?

Yeah, I noticed this as well. Bruce also makes clear that he's not the Marriage type , which I wonder whether that may have been a nod towards the wedding in Chemistry, which Veronica was at.

Something else I picked up on, if you go by the BB is 40 years in the future interpretation, we're probably about 20 years from the opening of Rebirth. Idk if Bunny's age had ever been confirmed, but she looks like an adult imo. Seems like Ronnie could be settling down with her unknown father around this time.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Yeah, I noticed this as well. Bruce also makes clear that he's not the Marriage type , which I wonder whether that may have been a nod towards the wedding in Chemistry, which Veronica was at.
True, the general rule of thumb seems to be this is set between TNBA and JL. EDIT: I'd guess before "Legacy" definitely.

Something else I picked up on, if you go by the BB is 40 years in the future interpretation, we're probably about 20 years from the opening of Rebirth. Idk if Bunny's age had ever been confirmed, but she looks like an adult imo. Seems like Ronnie could be settling down with her unknown father around this time.
Perhaps. I don't remember if it even it was said she married Bunny's father though.

Last edited:

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
DC Comics has provided a description for the second digital issue of Batman: The Adventures Continue, available April 15.

Batman's in the clutches of Lex Luthor and his powerful robot as the mad genuis races to open the vault he stole from Wayne Industries and claim his prize! The Dark Knight will need to utilize experimental tech if he's going to topple the billionaire before he leaves Gotham, but where is Superman and why can't Batman get in touch with him?!

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Oh, duh, so two digital issues equals one print issue. So digitally, #1 releases on 4/1 and 4/15, #2 in May, #3 in June, #4 in July, #5 in August, #6 in September and so the print issues were/are essentially releasing a month later from the digital date.

You might want to tell your rep the logline has genius misspelled.

Looks really likely Batman dons the TDKR suit to fight Luthor and the robot.

Last edited:

Spider-Man

What a great first issue! I don't have a single complaint, everything about it seemed and felt right. Can't wait for the next issue already. I can't be the only one who noticed the Veronica Vreeland holding up three fingers when she and Bruce were discussing his wards. Seems like a clue which I assume will play into the Red Hood story.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I can't be the only one who noticed the Veronica Vreeland holding up three fingers when she and Bruce were discussing his wards. Seems like a clue which I assume will play into the Red Hood story.
Indeed. I'm curious if that will explore the gap between the flashbacks in Robin's Reckoning and the series premiere of BTAS OR the 2.5 year gap between when Dick quit and returned as Nightwing.

ShadowStar

Alas, I missed it. I logged in before 10am PT and have been refreshing the page every couple of minutes since then, but nothing has been posted. Looking at the comments, some other people have been similarly confused, while others seem to have managed to listen along to Kevin Conroy. Would someone be able to explain how it was possible to follow along with the livestream, please?

EDIT: Figured it out in the end, with a bit of help! Not Instagram-Savvy.

Last edited:

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
A recording of DC Comics' Kevin Conroy reads Batman: The Adventures Continue can be viewed below. Please note that any issues with the video quality is the result of the livestream itself and not the recording.

M.O.D.O.K.

Scientist Supreme
Staff member
I loved his Bullock myself.

Veronica Hamill? So I'm assuming she got married at some point? I thought her talking about Bruce's sons needing a motherly touch was just her flirting with him, but I guess she just wants him to settle down with someone.

Also, I'm guessing Kevin wasn't supposed to mention Jason Todd's name from the script. ;)

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts