"Batman: The Adventures Continue (2020 Mini-Series)" Comic Book Talkback (Spoilers)

Latest News & Videos

Batman: The Adventures Continue - Rate and Discuss this Series!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ****1/2

• **1/2

• *1/2

• 1/2

• Total voters

-batmat-

Nov 10, 2010
Argentina
James, the live stream is available for 24hs after its made, like every Instagram story. You could try to record it again if you want to, to avoid the technical issues. It's great for the most part tho!

Reactions: James Harvey

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Apr 23, 2001
Toonzone
www.worldsfinestonline.com
James, the live stream is available for 24hs after its made, like every Instagram story. You could try to record it again if you want to, to avoid the technical issues. It's great for the most part tho!
Thanks, batmat! My recording of the livestream matched the one available by DC Comics' Instagram video. I checked a few other recordings and those stream glitches line up with my recording. Hopefully a more consistent connection will be used for any future readings.

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Apr 23, 2001
Toonzone
From the visionary producers of Batman: The Animated Series, discover new adventures in this seminal animated world! Discuss Batman: The Adventures Continue right here!

BATMAN: THE ADVENTURE CONTINUES #1 (Chapter 2)

Written by: Paul Dini and Alan Burnett
Art by: Ty Templeton

The Story: Batman's in the clutches of Lex Luthor and his powerful robot as the mad genuis races to open the vault he stole from Wayne Industries and claim his prize! The Dark Knight will need to utilize experimental tech if he's going to topple the billionaire before he leaves Gotham, but where is Superman and why can't Batman get in touch with him?!

Digital Release: April 15, 2020
Price: $0.99

Continue to talk all about Batman: The Adventures Continue right here at The World's Finest!

Last edited by a moderator:

Pfeiffer-Pfan

Cool Rider
Jul 24, 2007
UK/Ireland
pfeiffer-pfan.tumblr.com
A wonderful issue. I think both chapters will read very well when put together on the printed page. So much fun.

Ty Templeton is amazing at capturing this world. Templeton, Parobeck and Burchett (in his younger days) are the trifecta as far as I'm concerned.

Well done to Yojimbo as well, regarding his instincts on the robot.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Jul 13, 2003
Shahdaroba
www.dcauresource.com
Hmm, so Brainiac. Shrug. I guess this was from another skirmish that took place after "Knight Time"? Batman did tell Lex the remnant was driverless because Brainiac beamed himself into space -- that could better answer as to how he returned in "Twilight". EDIT: And I suppose after "The Demon Reborn" since Superman tells Batman he "once again owes him" one.

My one gripe, would have been a better surprise if they didn't include work in progress art with the Brainiac head in the background from this chapter during the initial press about the series (or in the least I wish I didn't spot it).

"Your rib cage is starting to resemble a picket fence," lol, didn't think I missed this Alfred's descriptions after all this time.

Batman leaving Wayne Manor in the Super Armor from TDKR. The way Templeton drew it reminded me of a pose commonly used in Batman Beyond art. Wonder if that was intentional... I mean, you could argue this armor is the clunky prototype that he'd tweak over the decades that would eventually evolve into the concealable prototype he had to dust off in "Disappearing Inque" then the final version, of course, the Beyond suit.

Batman using a Kryptonite jolt to snap Superman out of the mind control was a neat move and Superman popping out bare chested, reminded me of "The Call". heh. Or even Superman carrying off Lex and someone with a parachute was like the ending in "World's Finest" almost just in that it was Batman with the parachute.

And the warsuit is destroyed in the plane explosion. Guess it'll take him a few years to make another one. ;)

Didn't expect the 'reveal shot' of Jason Todd already but woof, looks to have that trademark temper.

EDIT: Wonder if that guy Jason pulled gun on was an original creation or an incidental from some episode of TNBA.

Last edited:

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Apr 23, 2001
Toonzone
From the visionary producers of Batman: The Animated Series, discover new adventures in this seminal animated world! Discuss Batman: The Adventures Continue right here!

BATMAN: THE ADVENTURE CONTINUES #2 (Chapter 1)

Written by: Alan Burnett and Paul Dini

The Story: Slade Wilson has come to Gotham and that has the Dark Knight suspicious. Robin, however, thinks the swash-buckling mercenary is just here to help. Is Deathstroke a friend or foe and what are his plans for Batman?

Digital Release: May 6, 2020

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: RoyalRubble

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Jul 13, 2003
Shahdaroba
www.dcauresource.com
Hmm, may have to revisit Feat of Clay Part One to see if that movie was referenced. A nod to the Gangbuster from Metropolis doesn't make much sense. Though the Gang Busters series was reprinted in some Batman comics and matches the imagery, cops busting crime.

Mm, so the Annie thing was just a quick cameo/nod. Well, and tells us this series is at least after "Growing Pains" as well as "World's Finest".

Sunny jacking a Farmer Brown van or Roxy's cameo was amusing enough. And the billboard was a hat tip to Soder from STAS. Commissioner Gordon is a hoot as always. That portrait by the kitchen for some reason reminded of when Andrea Beaumont was leaving Wayne Manor and she hits the horn accidentally when she and Bruce kiss goodbye.

Hmm, so I guess Deathstroke wants to poach the Batfamily and kill Batman and whoever else turns him down. I suppose Nightwing will be showing up next chapter or some point in this series. The brand new character Sunny adds another dimension to all this. Interesting Deathstroke ended up being the one to tip them off to Jason lurking around.

A weird clayface design...
Perhaps it be chalked up to the fake antidote Sunny supplied him with.

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Temecula California
This version of Slade definitely seems like more of a gentleman mercenary, even unmasked, but I wonder how much of that is an act :confused:.

Poor Clayface isn't a fan of reboots...or of being driven out of control :eek:.

That Annie scene did not go how I expected it to, but good move by Robin :).

Definitely starting to lay it on thick that Jason was Bruce's "lost ward," or something to that effect. Kind of funny to see him comment on Tim's anger issues :rolleyes2:.

It was nice to see Roxy Rocket pop in there, I wouldn't have even minded if they'd drawn out that aerial battle with Batgirl more. Was Babs taking a selfie or fixing her hair in front of tied-up Roxie? Savage :p.

Is it just me, or did Slade come off like he was flirting with Batgirl a little there? Maybe I'm just too used to how regular Slade can be with younger women :ack:.

I assume Sunny is Dini doing his thing of creating original henchgirls/assistant characters for bad guys as he has done on numerous occasions, and to probably give Batgirl someone to fight, although my first thought was she was the comic's take on Rose Wilson/Ravager :cool:.

iammattie

Aug 11, 2012
Georgia
That portrait by the kitchen for some reason reminded of when Andrea Beaumont was leaving Wayne Manor and she hits the horn accidentally when she and Bruce kiss goodbye.

Someone pointed out in our YouTube comments that it seems to be based on "Self-Portrait in the Green Bugatti" by Tamara de Lempicka, but I definitely had the same idea at first. Speaking of, our breakdown for issue 3 went up today. Surprised nobody here has mentioned that the introduction of Hush seems to have been hinted at throughout this chapter.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Jul 13, 2003
Shahdaroba
www.dcauresource.com
Someone pointed out in our YouTube comments that it seems to be based on "Self-Portrait in the Green Bugatti" by Tamara de Lempicka, but I definitely had the same idea at first.
Some of her style was Art Deco. That could be the connection. Unless it's always been there if the TNBA-era kitchen has ever been seen in full like that. EDIT: Nope. Hmm, know for sure it appeared in "The Underdwellers" in the BTAS episodes.

Speaking of, our breakdown for issue 3 went up today. Surprised nobody here has mentioned that the introduction of Hush seems to have been hinted at throughout this chapter.
You mean Deathstroke saying his mission was "hush-hush"? Uh, idk, could be they're working together. That sounds interesting. I figured Deathstroke wants Robin for his growing team -- a foreshadowing of Joker also coveting him later on. Red Hood probably has plans for him, too. Bit of a gut punch that everyone wants a piece of Tim considering what will happen to him.

Last edited:

iammattie

Aug 11, 2012
Georgia
You mean Deathstroke saying his mission was "hush-hush"? Uh, idk, could be they're working together. That sounds interesting. I figured Deathstroke wants Robin for his growing team -- a foreshadowing of Joker also coveting him later on. Red Hood probably has plans for him, too. Bit of a gut punch that everyone wants a piece of Tim considering what will happen to him.
There were a handful of things in this issue, the Hush-Hush, Jason used the word "unravel" and the letter decided it needed to be bolded, and Bruce's face walking out of the dining room seemed to be a bit different, almost mirroring Jason's elsewhere.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Jul 13, 2003
Shahdaroba
www.dcauresource.com
There were a handful of things in this issue, the Hush-Hush, Jason used the word "unravel" and the letter decided it needed to be bolded, and Bruce's face walking out of the dining room seemed to be a bit different, almost mirroring Jason's elsewhere.
5/12: Seems a bit too on the nose but I guess we'll see. Dini's been pretty quiet on Twitter about BTAC, I guess he decided not to answer or hint anything else until the series is completely released.

5/19: On Comixology and Read DC, for unknown reasons, Issue #2 Chapter 2 will release a day later this week on May 21 instead of May 20.

EDIT: Andrew Marino confirmed the releases will now be on Thursdays.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cartoonfan13

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Apr 23, 2001
Toonzone

BATMAN: THE ADVENTURES CONTINUE #4

The Story: Batman and Batgirl don't trust Deathstroke and his claims, but Robin however is all for teaming up with the mercenary. The Bat Family will have to figure out where they stand quick when Firefly returns and starts torching the Gotham Museum of Natural History!

Digital Release: May 21, 2020

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Jul 13, 2003
Shahdaroba
www.dcauresource.com
I like the choice of not showing Red Hood scrambling to avoid Batman from catching him and play up the mystery angle for Batman wondering how the person spying on him was able to time it to escape in 33 seconds without detection or leaving obvious clues. Really gets the gears going in Batman's head until he concludes it's Jason.

Liked the focus on Robin and Deathstroke pinpointing all the things he doesn't care for like the wisecrack entrance or the non-lethal solution against the murder hornets. Btw, lol, nice use of current events.

Interesting callback to "Torch Song", Batman's heavy duty armor, and Cassidy. Other nice pin for where to place this mini-series and implicitly after or around the time of "Legends of the Dark Night" as well.

Didn't expect a new development with the bug obsession and Garfield having made himself a new suit. I guess canon's okay if it gets destroyed in this story so that it makes sense in-universe he has his original suit in Justice League.

Last edited:

jtstrecker

Watchtower Database
Nov 22, 2015
Oregon
www.watchtowerdatabase.com
I guess canon's okay if it gets destroyed in this story so that it makes sense in-universe he has his original suit in Justice League.
Good call about it getting destroyed, but I guess we'll see. The timeline of that new costume was certainly BUGGING me. ;)

My only other theory would be that he just goes back to the old costume off-screen. We didn't even know THIS happened between TNBA and JL (presumably) until now, the DCAU is famous for backwards-retconning stuff, haha. The entirety of JL/JLU is basically a retcon since we'd already gotten "Batman Beyond." Maybe Firefly thought his old suit showed off his muscles better so he could impress Volcana, haha.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Jul 13, 2003
Shahdaroba
www.dcauresource.com
Good call about it getting destroyed, but I guess we'll see. The timeline of that new costume was certainly BUGGING me. ;)

My only other theory would be that he just goes back to the old costume off-screen. We didn't even know THIS happened between TNBA and JL (presumably) until now, the DCAU is famous for backwards-retconning stuff, haha. The entirety of JL/JLU is basically a retcon since we'd already gotten "Batman Beyond." Maybe Firefly thought his old suit showed off his muscles better so he could impress Volcana, haha.
Yeah, I mean, that's probably the simple explanation we'll have to go with. There is always fun in speculating. I suppose Deathstroke's Zurich story creates the notion he's a world hopper now and perhaps has stash houses around in different cities like Metropolis that have the bare necessities like back ups of his basic suit and weapon. Whereas we can say this new suit is either destroyed at the end of the story or was confiscated by GCPD and stored in Gotham so since they're in Metropolis fleeing from Stryker's... etc.

They had said in interviews to treat the mini-series as if TNBA never ended and teased Lex's suit is a prototype to the one in JL, so yeah, more or less we've known since before the first issue came out it's set between TNBA and JL. The only thing I'm really mulling in my head right now is that is this pre-Legacy or post-Legacy.

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Apr 23, 2001
Toonzone

BATMAN: THE ADVENTURES CONTINUE #5

The Story: Deathstroke and Robin face down Firefly, but can the two stand the heat after the firebug gets the upperhand? And who's hired Deathstroke to take down the Dark Knight?

Digital Release: June 4, 2020

Spotlight

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

CNC
2 new trademarks filed by The Cartoon Network, Inc. recently: Hot Freaks and Norm Nerveman, Neural Detective. Probably not animation, because they only say "in the field of comedy" instead, which leads me to them being potential new [adult swim] projects.

Apparently, Suite Life and Phineas and Ferb were on Jetix USA: Saturday Kids TV schedules

If Spider-Man says wear a mask, then wear it.
Tenchi Muyo! debuted on old Toonami 20 years ago today. Love still stinks.