Batman: TAS unproduced episodes

I think they made the right choice with just focusing on Hex in Showdown based on the fact that it was just 20 minutes.
I know it sounds silly, but I'd love to see a retro Batman TAS dvd flick made using the Nocturna script using the old casts and character models!
And I would wrestle Darksied to read that Sandman script! That's amazing and heart wrenching that Sandman and Death almost appeared in the DCAU.

I wonder if any episode/episodes had they're dialogue recorded and were shelved before animation? I know this happened with both the 1987 and 2003 adaptations of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and several Disney sequels were recorded and put in purgatory after John Lasseter took over and shut them down.
Any chance there are some Batman audio adventures forgotten and waiting around to be heard?

Last edited:

Revelator

Loathsome spotted reptile
From an interview with Tom Ruegger:

"There was one story that I wrote that we didn’t make, and I don’t even know why because I spent a month writing this. Everyone knew I was writing it and they were all cool with it, and yet ultimately the network said, 'Too dark, we can’t do it.' I’ve spoken about this a little bit before, but it was called The One and Only Gun Story.
It started in a mine where different metals are being mined out of the ground, and we follow the metal to the factory where it’s melted down and turned to steel and different things. We watch this delivered to a manufacturer – and this is all before anyone speaks – but we find that where it’s been mined, there’s a Native American there saying, 'This is sacred land, you shouldn’t be there.' So, the metal gets turned to a gun. The camera, which has been watching this rock taken out of the ground and turned to metal on a gun, it follows this gun, it gets put in a box, and the next thing we know the box is being opened in a gun store and someone’s buying the gun. You follow it home, it’s put into a safe, the safe is closed, then blackness. Years pass, then it turns out this is the gun that kills Bruce Wayne’s parents.
We watch this gun, which gets flipped into the river and fished out by a kid. Ultimately, Bruce Wayne gets hold of this gun and, at the end of the episode, melts it down and turns it into a plaque for the grave of his parents. That’s The One and Only Gun Story that the network said, 'No, we’re not making that!' This is self-serving, I guess, but it was a very good script. It was dramatic. Obviously, they had never aired anything like it. They were just scared. They thought, 'Oh, this is going to get us a lot of attention, and it’s about guns, so we’re not going to do it.'"

-batmat-

Doesn't sound like a very interesting episode to me though. At least from reading that. Guess I'd have to see it. But he kinda talks about it as if it was the next Heart Of Ice of something.

Revelator

It's a very interesting and unusual idea that would have been radically new to a kid's cartoon: following the progress of a deadly weapon from its creation to its destruction and redemption. And it certainly makes better use of the gun that killed Bruce's parents than Year Two!

I'm curious if the script was ever considered for use in TNBA (since the WB was a more permissive network) or just forgotten about, since Ruegger wasn't involved with that series.

Fone Bone

Hindsight 2020!
From an interview with Tom Ruegger:

"There was one story that I wrote that we didn’t make, and I don’t even know why because I spent a month writing this. Everyone knew I was writing it and they were all cool with it, and yet ultimately the network said, 'Too dark, we can’t do it.' I’ve spoken about this a little bit before, but it was called The One and Only Gun Story.
It started in a mine where different metals are being mined out of the ground, and we follow the metal to the factory where it’s melted down and turned to steel and different things. We watch this delivered to a manufacturer – and this is all before anyone speaks – but we find that where it’s been mined, there’s a Native American there saying, 'This is sacred land, you shouldn’t be there.' So, the metal gets turned to a gun. The camera, which has been watching this rock taken out of the ground and turned to metal on a gun, it follows this gun, it gets put in a box, and the next thing we know the box is being opened in a gun store and someone’s buying the gun. You follow it home, it’s put into a safe, the safe is closed, then blackness. Years pass, then it turns out this is the gun that kills Bruce Wayne’s parents.
We watch this gun, which gets flipped into the river and fished out by a kid. Ultimately, Bruce Wayne gets hold of this gun and, at the end of the episode, melts it down and turns it into a plaque for the grave of his parents. That’s The One and Only Gun Story that the network said, 'No, we’re not making that!' This is self-serving, I guess, but it was a very good script. It was dramatic. Obviously, they had never aired anything like it. They were just scared. They thought, 'Oh, this is going to get us a lot of attention, and it’s about guns, so we’re not going to do it.'"
It sounds like an interesting enough idea, but it raises a question for me: When Bruce melts down the gun, does he know that it's THAT gun? Because if he doesn't, that's a pretty stupid coincidence.

iammattie

On the topic of "The One and Only Gun Story", I've been working on a WDb series on lost episodes, and that one's come up a lot over the years from Tom Rugger, Alan Burnett, and Randy Rogel. That bit basically has most of the available info, but a couple interesting additions that I've seen were that the shooter was going to be Jack Napier, he shot and killed the gun store clerk after the gun was purchased, and after the gun was fished out of the river it was involved in multiple storylines that had happened in BTAS already. According to some folks the script was written before Burnett came on board, but Ruegger says it was actually sometime after he wrote Gray Ghost, about midway through season one, so that may give some sort of idea as to which plotlines it potentially could have weaved through. Apparently Randy Rogel still owns a copy of the script and brought it into WB to scan for use on the DVD bonus features, but as far as I can tell it didn't end up on disc.

Revelator

Thanks very much--those are very interesting additions indeed! A pity the script didn't end up on disc. I'd love to read it, though I'm not at all surprised Fox refused it. It might have been too strong for the WB too. What is "WDb" by the way?

Revelator

Some more tidbits from Cinefantastique, this time concerning unproduced episodes from The Adventures of Batman & Robin:

* "A script involving Hugo Strange was deemed subpar and dropped."

* "Another episode cancelled after running afoul of Fox’s Broadcast Standards and Practices was titled 'The Darkest Night,' in which Batman is hypnotized into becoming the ultimate vigilante. Noted producer Bruce Timm, 'The mildest thing he does is threaten a thug while holding him over a rooftop. After he gets the information he wants, he drops the guy off the roof. Even though Robin is there to save him, BS&P said we couldn’t have that happen. We decided that if we can’t do the weakest thing, then this show is not worth doing.'"

Obviously this script was later reworked into TNBA episode "Never Fear," but it would be interesting to know what else was changed besides the cause of Batman's mental transformation (which went from hypnosis to the Scarecrow's toxin).

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Some more tidbits from Cinefantastique, this time concerning unproduced episodes from The Adventures of Batman & Robin:

* "A script involving Hugo Strange was deemed subpar and dropped."

* "Another episode cancelled after running afoul of Fox’s Broadcast Standards and Practices was titled 'The Darkest Night,' in which Batman is hypnotized into becoming the ultimate vigilante. Noted producer Bruce Timm, 'The mildest thing he does is threaten a thug while holding him over a rooftop. After he gets the information he wants, he drops the guy off the roof. Even though Robin is there to save him, BS&P said we couldn’t have that happen. We decided that if we can’t do the weakest thing, then this show is not worth doing.'"

Obviously this script was later reworked into TNBA episode "Never Fear," but it would be interesting to know what else was changed besides the cause of Batman's mental transformation (which went from hypnosis to the Scarecrow's toxin).
Neat, do you recall what page(s) these were on?

Hmm, I wonder if the Strange one is the "Mind Games" one by Micheal Reeves and Len Wein where Strange made Bruce and Dick forget they were Batman and Robin. But there was a feeling no one wanted to do a Strange sequel, too.

iammattie

Neat, do you recall what page(s) these were on?

Hmm, I wonder if the Strange one is the "Mind Games" one by Micheal Reeves and Len Wein where Strange made Bruce and Dick forget they were Batman and Robin. But there was a feeling no one wanted to do a Strange sequel, too.

I believe it was Mind Games. Reaves has said "It was, I thought, a good script that never got a fair chance, since nobody on staff particularly liked Hugo Strange as a villain." Though Marty Isenberg has also revealed on Batman: The Animated Podcast that he had a Hugo Strange pitch that was also shot down.

David Wise also went into really deep detail about the "Darkest Knight" pitch during his appearance on the show.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I believe it was Mind Games. Reaves has said "It was, I thought, a good script that never got a fair chance, since nobody on staff particularly liked Hugo Strange as a villain." Though Marty Isenberg has also revealed on Batman: The Animated Podcast that he had a Hugo Strange pitch that was also shot down.

David Wise also went into really deep detail about the "Darkest Knight" pitch during his appearance on the show.
Off hand do you recall which episodes those were? I don't remember if I ever got around to listening to those, might have lost the link. lol.

iammattie

Off hand do you recall which episodes those were? I don't remember if I ever got around to listening to those, might have lost the link. lol.
I'm actually working on my second installment for the lost B:TAS videos right now so I've got the info on hand! For Hugo Strange info check Batman: The Animated Podcast #8 - His Silicon Soul (approximately at the 62:20 mark) and for Darkest Knight Batman: The Animated Podcast #40 - The Strange Secret of Bruce Wayne (27:30-39:30)

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I'm actually working on my second installment for the lost B:TAS videos right now so I've got the info on hand! For Hugo Strange info check Batman: The Animated Podcast #8 - His Silicon Soul (approximately at the 62:20 mark) and for Darkest Knight Batman: The Animated Podcast #40 - The Strange Secret of Bruce Wayne (27:30-39:30)
Okay, yeah, this looks like a second Strange pitch. Isenberg's was inspired by the Batman: Prey comic book arc. I think it ended with Batman finding Strange dressed up like him and totally nutty. Isenberg also mentioned he had an idea for a sequel to "What is Reality?" - Combination of "Awakenings" and "Silence of the Lambs" where all these Riddler crimes were going on while Riddler was still in a coma. They need to wake Riddler to catch the criminal because of heightened stakes. He only responded to Batman's presence. Was hypnotizing guards and doctors with post-hypnotic suggestions then Batman to do his crimes but Batman breaks free. Then Martin Pasko had him shift to working on "His Silicon Soul". And Robert N. Skir pitched a story of a gang kid falling through the cracks and Batman tries to save him.

Interesting how "The Darkest Knight" was really Robin-centric in a sense and he takes advantage of Joker's ego to further his search for the cure.

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Hey folks! The World's Finest just added a hefty collection of Batman: The Animated Series production content, including a batch of unproduced episode scripts. And yup, that includes the script for "The One and Only Gun!" The content comes from the desk of Martin Pasko, courtesy of the one, the only ... The Flash - former WF administrator, webmaster & graphic designer! Many thanks, good sir! Anyways, check it all out right here, folks!

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Hot damn, that's some epic adds, James! I have some entertaining reads ahead of me.

I really like this Hellbane script, the gothic take grabbed me. Really adds to that tone of BTAS that made you question if the ghost was real -- well before the other shows came along and expanded the canon and confirmed things like the supernatural were real.

Neat, MOTP was "Masks" at one point. Wow, just skimming it real fast - they confirmed Bruce was a college freshman at the start of the flashbacks. And they were even going to have a flashback to Joker's origin with the fall into the vat! And they use the Jack Napier name in the drafts!

Some of these others don't seem that good... like I'm really glad they evidentially went with the "Read My Lips" script over the "Mama Didn't Raise No Dummies" one as the introduction to Scarface and the Ventriloquist. Glad they rejected the "Never Say Uncle" one...

Really happy to see the Creeper script, can see what their original idea was finally. As well as the gun script! Wow, and what looks like another Clayface one set after "Mudslide"? They did revisit the Golem idea in whole new ways in Beyond with Willie Watt and I suppose Earthmover in a way.

Spotlight

Sponsored Ads

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Apparently, in addition to the DreamWorks incarnation of Trolls... Disney Channel aired the DiC one?
they can bring back g4, chiller, and cloo back on xumo, i mean if they bring back spike tv for pluto tv, why not chiller, cloo, and g4 for xumo
Hey guys, I'm back! Been gone for almost a year from having a lot on my plate but now I have more free time. I hope everyone here is making it through these tough and difficult times.
Today marks the 20th Year Anniversary of when Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask was released in North America. Majora's Mask was the second game from the franchise I played and certainly fits with the Halloween theme.
Why did Adult Swim air the Family Guy episode Wasted Talent as part of the Halloween special?