Batman: TAS unproduced episodes

I was wondering besides the already mentioned episodes like "The Count and The Countess", "The Midnight Hour", "Mind Games", and "Vigil". Where there any other unproduced episodes?

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I think it was a Batman 75 or a Spotlight on Bruce Timm panel last year or so they talked about one or two unused episodes I think. I don't remember if they were additional from the ones mentioned already.

Some interviews here and there. Burnett mentioned the infamous Nocturna story and "Silent Night" (I think both were talked about the panel above I can't remember.
Well, I would have liked to have gotten more into Batman’s sex life, but of course that was impossible. At one point we wanted to do a story without dialogue – “Silent Knight” we called it. Never happened. We also wanted to do a Nocturna story – Bruce had drawn a hot model of her - but she’s a vampire, which would’ve involved bloodletting, which was a huge no-no for kids TV. I’m sure there were other stories we wanted to tell that went by the wayside, but they don’t come to mind. We mostly got to do what we wanted to do.

I didn't know about any of those episodes. What's the story behind them?
Check out this thread
https://www.toonzone.net/forums/dc-...btas-episode-count-countess.html#.VTSM0PDe-ZE

Peter Paltridge

Out To Lunch
Staff member
At one point we wanted to do a story without dialogue – “Silent Knight” we called it. Never happened.
Aw man. That would've gone in all the top ten lists; it was the perfect show to try that kind of episode. The score spoke for itself anyway and that would have been its big chance to shine.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Found it, it was back in 2013. And add one more story idea.
On a different note, Burnett wanted to do a “Silent Knight” story with no dialogue, based on Neal Adams’ “The Silent Night of the Batman.” They were later able to do something similar with the Batman/Catwoman short “Chase Me.”

Dini said they had an idea for doing a dream-like Sandman-type story with Morpheus and Death, with Batman stuck between life and death. They pitched to Neil Gaiman, who liked it, but Burnett thought it was too metaphysical. “I would do anything with Paul,” Burnett said. “I’d give him as much rope as he wanted – and he’d come in and say ‘I have this idea about Harley and ivy together,’ and I’d say, ‘Go!’” However, he added that they had rules in beginning: “No ghosts, and no Humanitas Awards.” (i.e., no Very Special Episodes about drugs and alcohol). “With Ra’s al Guhl, we got into that mystic area a bit.

Frontier

Staff member
It's interesting that Neil Gaiman was into it, as he's notoriously protective of his Sandman characters.
He seems a lot more lenient about lending them to DC when someone at least asks him to use them. I know he gave Paul Cornell permission to use Death for his Action Comics run, and I've believed there have been other instances where Sandman characters have popped up with his permission :).

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
The Nocturna story was planned for an episode or two of The Adventures of Batman and Robin, as well as the Creeper initially.

Modern Masters Page 45-46

Modern Masters/Eric Nolen-Weathington said:
You had planned for some new villains for that second season [The Adventures of Batman and Robin]. There were plans for a Nocturna storyline.

Was that going to basically follow the storyline from the comics?
Bruce Timm said:
Oh, yeah. That storyline in the comics was a really long, drawn out, soap operish kind of thing, and we were going to do at most a two-parter with it, trying to condense the best parts of those comics into one finite story. We never got far with it, because we knew that it was going to be tricky. We called up Fox and said, "We're thinking about doing this story, blah, blah, blah," and the minute we said vampires they said no. "Well what if we--?" "No." [laughter] "What if we never see fangs?" "No." "What if when Nocturna bites Batman it's all in the shadows?" "No. No, vampires, period." "What that's one not worth doing then."

Modern Masters Page 46

Modern Masters/Eric Nolen-Weathington said:
You had also planned for the Creeper to show up that season.
Bruce Timm said:
Yeah, the Creeper show just didn't gel that first time around. We went back and forth on it, and a number of writers took a stab at it. It just never got to a point where we all felt happy with it, so we just dropped it.

Robin section of "Batman Animated"

A potentially intriguing Catwoman/Black Canary team-up was interrupted in midpitch to the network by their demand, "Where's Robin?" When the writers asked if they could omit Robin from just this one episode, Fox obliged by omitting the entire story.

Riddler section of "Batman Animated"

There at least half a dozen full or partially completed stories in our dead script file that proved ultimately too complex or too silly to produce.

the greenman

Ya know, it would be awesome to have Timm produce the Nocturna script as a DC movie. If it was a 2 parter, they have enough for a full length film.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Ya know, it would be awesome to have Timm produce the Nocturna script as a DC movie. If it was a 2 parter, they have enough for a full length film.
True, they've gone back and reused shelved scripts before like with Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths or that one episode of The Brave and The Bold. Speaking of, same series where they did a vampire Batman episode. heh. And even Timm finally got to do a vampire Batman on the upcoming Gods and Monsters movie.

the greenman

True, they've gone back and reused shelved scripts before like with Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths or that one episode of The Brave and The Bold. Speaking of, same series where they did a vampire Batman episode. heh. And even Timm finally got to do a vampire Batman on the upcoming Gods and Monsters movie.

I'm just debating in my mind if they can pull off that classic BTAS design. Either way, that would be an awesome film to see. I wonder who they would've cast as Nocturna.

What was the Brave & Bold ep?

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I'm just debating in my mind if they can pull off that classic BTAS design. Either way, that would be an awesome film to see. I wonder who they would've cast as Nocturna.

What was the Brave & Bold ep?
I think so. The Batman 75 short showed the classic Timm design could be.

I recall back in the day punkrockgirl fancasted Lara Parker as Nocturna.

Shadow of the Bat! from season 3.

the greenman

I think so. The Batman 75 short showed the classic Timm design could be.

I recall back in the day punkrockgirl fancasted Lara Parker as Nocturna.

Shadow of the Bat! from season 3.

Hmmmm, Dark Shadows alum huh. Very interesting. I did a quick research, and I dig it.

Thanks for both. Forgot about that ep.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Hmmmm, Dark Shadows alum huh. Very interesting. I did a quick research, and I dig it.

Thanks for both. Forgot about that ep.
Indeed.

You're welcome on both counts.

BTW, if anyone wants to know more - WF took on punkrockgirl's website. It includes a page on Nocturna. Bruce Timm's character design is on it as well. Or I believe it is the one on the left.

the greenman

Okay, thanx for the link. That places it in perspective for me, cause I was thought this idea was back in the FOX Kids time period. Dini states in that link it was later in WB days.

I would've prefered the FOX Kids era, when it was still processed in dark on dark.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Okay, thanx for the link. That places it in perspective for me, cause I was thought this idea was back in the FOX Kids time period. Dini states in that link it was later in WB days.

I would've prefered the FOX Kids era, when it was still processed in dark on dark.
It's odd. Either one is right or they pitched it both times. In Modern Masters, Timm said it was for Adventures of Batman and Robin, while Dini there said it was the The New Batman Adventures.

the greenman

Found some other little details on the two projects "Silent Night" and "Nocturna":
-What stories didn’t they get to do? One idea was a vampire story with Nocturna from the comics. The idea was that that she bites Batman and next morning Alfred comes in and pulls the curtain and Bruce’s skin starts to bubble and burn…but Fox said “No vampires.”

-On a different note, Burnett wanted to do a “Silent Knight” story with no dialogue, based on Neal Adams’ “The Silent Night of the Batman.” They were later able to do something similar with the Batman/Catwoman short “Chase Me.”

http://www.newsarama.com/18560-batm...rating-21-years-of-the-definitive-batman.html

If you look up that Silent Night comic, it seems they kinda did it with that The New Batman Adventures episode "Holiday Knights" and doing "Chase Me". I assume they simply wanted instrumental Christmas music over visuals, and Animaniacs beat them to that.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Found a bit more info in Wizard #92 on Enemy Ace and Nocturna
th_Wizard_92_page46_Cutting_Ege_zpsygycfmos.jpg

Originally, there was a plan to show Ra's al Ghul in three time periods -- fighting Jonah Hex in the old west, Enemy Ace in World War I and Batman in the present. The creators couldn't find room for Enemy Ace, and instead just went with Hex in "Showdown"
At the conclusion of the first episode of a proposed two-parter, Batman would return home after fighting the female vampire Nocturna. Come morning, when the sunlight fell on Bruce's legs, they'd start to smoke! Both Fox and WB said no way vampires could be on Saturday mornings, let alone their main character become one.

Spotlight

Sponsored Ads

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Apparently, in addition to the DreamWorks incarnation of Trolls... Disney Channel aired the DiC one?
they can bring back g4, chiller, and cloo back on xumo, i mean if they bring back spike tv for pluto tv, why not chiller, cloo, and g4 for xumo
Hey guys, I'm back! Been gone for almost a year from having a lot on my plate but now I have more free time. I hope everyone here is making it through these tough and difficult times.
Today marks the 20th Year Anniversary of when Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask was released in North America. Majora's Mask was the second game from the franchise I played and certainly fits with the Halloween theme.
Why did Adult Swim air the Family Guy episode Wasted Talent as part of the Halloween special?