"Batman Ninja" Animated Release Talkback (Spoilers)

Batman Ninja - Rate and Discuss this Epic DC Animated Movie!

• Total voters

Fone Bone

Hindsight 2020!
Batman Ninja

That was weird. I liked it. But it was weird.

I am going to give this a positive grade. Unfortunately, I feel I will probably give the wrong idea with this review. I liked the movie very much. And yet, I'm probably going to spend the entire review pointing out the movie's faults. Mostly because it's the faults that I loved.

But anime does not speak to me for the reasons this movie is unlike other DC movies. Unlike Western animation, anime is a very visual medium. It's not the place for puns or wordplay or even subtle characters riffs. It's big and always "on" 100%. Which is the reason I am always so confused why anime always overexplains what is happening on screen as if the viewer is very stupid. That sort of narration crutch is something that is only needed if the project is badly animated or drawn. This is easily the best animation in a DC project ever, which just made all of the overexplanations seem even dumber.

And yeah, anime has betrayals and reversals of fortune that are random and arbitrary. There is no part of the Joker being a humble farmer that made any part of the story better, except that the overseas writers mistakenly believed it was a good twist. It's not, and anime never has those because none of those twists are ever necessary to the story they are telling. It's just an added complication to pad things. To be fair, American television, not just animation, does this too, but at least we are able to call them on it. I don't really see that many people pointing out that anime is actually really badly written with dialogue that seems amateurish. It's not just Pokemon. It's all anime. And it's weird the medium is never called on it. Probably because it looks so great.

And it does look great. That is easily the scariest looking Joker we have ever gotten, live-action or animated.

The time machine didn't make sense. I get why it transported them back in time. But what did it transport them halfway across the world to Feudal Japan too? Not once was it referred to as a time and SPACE machine.

I thought the tag after the initial end credits was extremely damaging. While the movie didn't actually leave off on an amazing place, the Batcarriage on horse slowly moving down the street quickly deflated whatever excitement I had been feeling over how bananas the rest of the movie was. It gutted a great deal of tension. It's like Jet Li doing exposition movie dialogue in that soft voice of his right after he's finished kicking everyone's asses. He's kind of undoing everything he just did. (Thank you, Family Guy).

Robin having a monkey was stupid. There being a giant mecha fight in ancient Japan was stupid. There being a giant mecha monkey was stupid. I mentioned before the entire genre was stupid, right? The messed up thing is the ridiculousness is what actually made it fun. It's the definition of a guilty pleasure for me. But it's so stupid.

That kicked all sorts of ass and ran out of all sorts of bubblegum. ***1/2.

DarkAngel

Lord Vader
Batman Ninja

That was weird. I liked it. But it was weird.
I generally agree with your thoughts, Fone. I quite liked it. Visually beautiful. Thin from story/dialogue perspective, but I thought the look, atmosphere, and a different approach were content enough to get me through. It was one of my favorites of last year.

I really got a kick outta seeing all four robins together.

It was also interesting to watch it with the English dialogue track versus in Japanese with subtitles. The differences in dialogue were interesting.

Fone Bone

Hindsight 2020!
I generally agree with your thoughts, Fone. I quite liked it. Visually beautiful. Thin from story/dialogue perspective, but I thought the look, atmosphere, and a different approach were content enough to get me through. It was one of my favorites of last year.

I really got a kick outta seeing all four robins together.

It was also interesting to watch it with the English dialogue track versus in Japanese with subtitles. The differences in dialogue were interesting.
I have it on Blu-Ray so I'll be checking the subtitles eventually but I saw it on the DC Universe service so I only saw it in English.

Spotlight

Sponsored Ads

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Ready for Halloween!
We have Kim Possible and Flame Princess making bacon pancakes (I assume this was filmed long before quarantine).

Who wants to bet when Oaxis launches, it'll just be the Noog Network with family-friendly public domain content added in?
CNC
How come every time I try to associate with a social media account on my profile, I'm getting an error message?

To everyone reading this: You're one in a million. In other words, you're special.