Batman = HUSH, Superman = ?

Latest News & Videos

Binker

Batman: HUSH, I believe, is basically a good story for new readers to grab on too. If you read it, you would know why I say that.

Since FOR TOMORROW was done by Jim Lee, I want to know, despite the reviews I've heard, if the story is somewhat similar to HUSH in ANY way.

Also, if not (depending on how many believe it ain't) from No Limits going down, what books of Superman, the collected ones, would you consider great/good/good enough starting from the character's "reboot" in 2000 that IS similar in ANY way to HUSH?

P.S. I reason why I suggested FOR TOMORROW was because Jim Lee did it after HUSH which makes me think on the similar ideal story. HUSH had a good story that effects Batman in all areas. And it even showcases and explains, in a vague history, the past cases/incidents Batman has had.

If FOR TOMORROW has this, great. If not, what does?

Jor-El

Krypton is doomed.
FOR TOMORROW is like HUSH in that they are both drawn by Jim "I Delay Books Because People Will Let Me" Lee and they were both stories that would have been good in 5 or 6 issues max but someone let the stories go on for a year. So FOR TOMORROW is the closest thing to HUSH, but don't take that as a compliment for either story.

The best thing to grab new Superman readers, in my opinion, would be Superman: Birthright. It makes Superman powerful and relevant and explains all the backstory they need to understand.

Condiment King

custom user title
I'll completely echo Jor-El, but chances are -- if you liked Hush, then you'd probably like For Tomorrow as well. However, I'd recommend Broken City and Birthright over them.

Shawn Hopkins

TZ Member of the Year 2013
I really hate Hush. I could complain about the story, but I guess the main thing is I have never like Jim Lee's art. I know I'm in the extreme minority here, but I can't see the appeal in it.

randomguy

Came, liked Ike, and left.
Although "For Tomorrow" does touch on most of the major aspects of the Superman mythology, if you're looking for a "Hush"-like story, you probably won't be very happy with it. Brian Azarello is a very different writer from Jeph Loeb. While "Hush" works well as a "Batman's greatest hits" type-of story, "For Tomorrow" is a more complicated and more ambitious story dealing with religion and some headier themes.

It's also not, as people around here have noted, particularly good. I didn't hate it, but it's not very satisfying, either on its own merits or as a "Hush" kind of story.

If you're looking for a Superman story with that kind of appeal, though, Jor-El is right to recommend Superman: Birthright. It's a 21st-century retelling of Superman's origin and first few months of operation, and in addition to being a very good read, it also nicely summarizes the Superman character and his supporting cast.

Other good Superman books in a similar vein would include John Byrne's Superman: Man of Steel TPB reprints (they're on volume 4 right now), Superman For All Seasons (also by Jeph Loeb), and the Superman Adventures digests that contain stories about the animated version of the character.

Hope this gets you started!

Binker

I ahev asked around and FOR TOMORROW is frowned upon. Superman/Batman is everyone's top pick and I wouldn't blame them. People have told me to get Rucka's run on Superman seen in UNCONVENTIONAL WARFARE & THAT HEALING TOUCH. Should I get that?

There's three books (2 coming out in collection forms) that is on my mind to get and need honest opinions on them:

Sacriface
The Journey
&
Godfall

Jor-El

Krypton is doomed.
Superman/Batman is crappy unless you like differently-colored inner monologues of Superman and Batman that talk about the same thing throughout the entire issue:

SUPERMAN: I sure love eating a big breakfast!
BATMAN: Clark loves a big breakfast, but I don't. Makes me sick.
SUPERMAN: Bruce thinks breakfast upsets his stomach, but really it's just Loeb's attempt at characterization by trying to make me and Bruce way more opposite than we should be.
BATMAN: Leave it to Clark to blame Loeb for this. Loeb writes me to be way more powerful than I actually am. Good thing too because Darkseid would've killed me if I had come anywhere near him in the crappy Supergirl arc.
SUPERMAN: I hope Ma made extra bacon.
BATMAN: I hope Clark's mother has extra Tums.

But hey, maybe that's your thing. Maybe the series will be better once Loeb leaves it. It's really unfortunate since Loeb wrote Superman For All Seasons, one of my favorite Superman stories ever told.

As far as Rucka's Adventures of Superman work goes, GO AND BUY THOSE TPB'S. Unconventional Warfare and That Healing Touch were okay stories, and even better stories from that series have yet to be collected. Sacrifice is essential in understanding The OMAC Project and, consequently, Infinite Crisis. Steer clear of Godfall and I can't remember ever hearing about The Journey.

Other Superman recommendations include Secret Identity which is a GREAT GREAT book that you will surely love, and Superman: No Limits which is a really fun, simple collection of good Superman stories from back in late 1999 when the titles, briefly, actually all became extremely enjoyable.

staticblue

Jor-El said:
Superman/Batman is crappy unless you like differently-colored inner monologues of Superman and Batman that talk about the same thing throughout the entire issue:

SUPERMAN: Bruce thinks breakfast upsets his stomach, but really it's just Loeb's attempt at characterization by trying to make me and Bruce way more opposite than we should be.
BATMAN: Leave it to Clark to blame Loeb for this. Loeb writes me to be way more powerful than I actually am. Good thing too because Darkseid would've killed me if I had come anywhere near him in the crappy Supergirl arc.
Since Ive yet to read a single issue of this comic, I can't really judge your opinion. for all I know, you could be right. I was seriosly thinking of collecting the trades though. I will say this. your imitaion of the monolugue was downright hilarious. Im still laughing as I type this:p

Binker

Man, Superman isn't really on my, or ANYBODY'S, top five list:

BATMAN
SUPERMAN/BATMAN
WONDER WOMAN
SUPERGIRL
INFINITE CRISIS series

Steven C

Jor-El said:

haha, that is sooooo true!

-Birthright is an awesome story, I loved it.
-For Tomorrow has awesome art, story was kinda boring.

Damien

Watching
I've been looking for a Superman story that deals with more philisophical issues, and I heard For Tomorrow was that kind of story. For those who've read it, is that true?
And what does it have to do with Hush as far as having the same artist? The writers are different. Does liking one have anything to do with liking the other? I only ask because I hated Hush (and just about everything else Loeb has done, does, or will do in the future).

Jor-El, ha! That's better than Loeb!

Ed Liu

Frog of Thunder
Staff member
Reporter
Howdy,

Damien said:
I've been looking for a Superman story that deals with more philisophical issues, and I heard For Tomorrow was that kind of story. For those who've read it, is that true?
Apparently, Superman spends a lot of time talking to a priest in "For Tomorrow." Whether this is philosophical or not is an exercise for the reader.

If you are in the mood for such a book, I can recommend Superman: Secret Identity by Kurt Busiek and Stuart Immonen, which is gorgeous and has a bit more intellectually depth than an average Superman book, even if it's not "really" Superman who stars in it. It was easily one of my favorite comics of 2004, though.

And what does it have to do with Hush as far as having the same artist? The writers are different. Does liking one have anything to do with liking the other? I only ask because I hated Hush (and just about everything else Loeb has done, does, or will do in the future).
Nothing, other than the hope DC had that "For Tomorrow" would do for Superman what "Hush" did for Batman. Brian Azzarello wrote "For Tomorrow." I'm not too crazy about his stuff personally, but I certainly can't imagine Jeph Loeb managing to produce something like 100 Bullets.

-- Ed/Ace

Spotlight

Staff online

Latest profile posts

JoeMabbon wrote on Frontier's profile.
The G.I. Joe and Transformers Films almost crossed over.
Red Arrow wrote on Fone Bone's profile.
Disney is teaching their child actors now how to handle fame.
Although I did like some of the now dead Jetix block's programming in the past, It did ate up most of Toon Disney's airtime to the point where it felt like it was Vice-Versa which annoyed me when I was younger.
Call me weird, but I seem to prefer The Little Mermaid's series more than the trilogy. I also have a AU in development at Post something random where some characters of the series as well as fictional ones are included.
Apparently John K. is FINALLY finished with 'Cans Without Labels'.