"Batman: Hush" Animated Release Talkback (Spoilers)

Discuss and rate the "Batman: Hush" animated movie! Please leave your thought before leaving a vote!

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • ****1/2

Votes: 2 28.6%

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • ***1/2

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • **1/2

• *1/2

• 1/2

• Total voters

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
A mysterious villain puppeteering Gotham’s most dangerous forces leads the Dark Knight into uncharted waters in Batman: Hush. This movie is part of the popular series of DC Universe Movies from Warner Bros. Animation, DC Entertainment and Warner Bros. Home Entertainment! Discuss the animated feature, the bonus content - all of it - right here!

Batman: Hush
Studio:
Warner Bros. Animation
Release Date: July 20, 2019 - Digital; August 6, 2019 - 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray, DVD, DC Universe Streaming Service

Synopsis: An adaptation of the seminal DC classic tale, Batman: Hush centers on a shadowy new villain known only as Hush, who uses Gotham’s Rogues Gallery to destroy Batman’s crime-fighting career, as well as Bruce Wayne’s personal life – which has already been complicated by a relationship with Selina Kyle, aka Catwoman.

Batman: Hush boasts a stellar voice cast led by primetime television stars Jason O’Mara (The Man In The High Castle) and Jennifer Morrison (Once Upon A Time) as the voices of Batman/Bruce Wayne and Catwoman/Selina Kyle, respectively. The cast also includes Jerry O’Connell (Carter, Billions, Stand By Me) as Superman, Rebecca Romijn (The Librarians, X-Men) as Lois Lane, Rainn Wilson (The Office) as Lex Luthor, Vanessa Williams (Desperate Housewives, Ugly Betty) as Amanda Waller, Jason Spisak (Young Justice) as Joker, Peyton List (Bunk’d, Jessie) as Batgirl, Peyton List (Gotham, Mad Men, The Flash) as Poison Ivy, Geoffrey Arend (Madam Secretary) as the Riddler, Sean Maher (Firefly) as Nightwing, Maury Sterling (Homeland) as Thomas Elliot, Bruce Thomas (Legally Blonde, Kyle XY) as Jim Gordon, Adam Gifford (Longmire) as Bane, Sachie Alessio (Justice League Dark) as Lady Shiva, Stuart Allan (Teen Titans: The Judas Contract) as Damian Wayne, James Garrett (Batman: Bad Blood) as Alfred, Hynden Walch (Teen Titans Go!) as Harley Quinn, Chris Cox (Family Guy) as Scarecrow, and Tara Strong (Batman: The Killing Joke, Teen Titans, Teen Titans Go!) as Reporter.

Director Justin Copeland (Reign of the Supermen) helms Batman: Hush from a script by Ernie Altbacker (Teen Titans: The Judas Contract). Jim Krieg (Batman: Gotham by Gaslight) & Alan Burnett (Suicide Squad: Hell To Pay) are co-producers. Amy McKenna (The Death of Superman) is producer. Michael Uslan is executive producer. Executive Producers are Sam Register and James Tucker (Reign of the Supermen).

Batman: Hush Bonus Content:
Note: Bonus content may vary between Blu-ray, DVD and Digital HD editions.
-DC Showcase: Sgt. Rock (Animated Short): From executive producer and director Bruce Timm comes the first new DC Showcase animated short since 2011's Catwoman, bringing DC Comics' gritty World War II hero to animated life in an all-new adventure.
-Short Feature: "Batman: Love in Time of War" - Dangerous. Seductive. Villain. Hero. This is the story of Selina Kyle and the relationship she has forged with the world's greatest detective.
-Sneak Peak: A Sneak Peek at the next DC Universe Movie, "Wonder Woman: Bloodlines" - An advanced look at the next animated film in the popular DC Universe Movies collection.
-Audio Commentary: Executive Producer James Tucker, Director Justin Copeland and screenwriter Ernie Altbacker share their thoughts and insights on Batman: Hush.
-From the DC Vault: From the DC Comics Vault: The Batman/Superman Hour: "The Underworld Underground Caper" and "Partners in Peril"

Discuss the Batman: Hush animated release here!

Please note this talkback is for both the Batman: Hush animated feature and all aspects of the assorted home media releases. Discussion for both are now housed in one single talkback discussion thread. Spoilers are also allowed, so those who have yet to see the movie may want to avoid this thread until they have.

Related Threads:

-Sgt. Rock Animated Short Talkback (Spoilers)
-Batman: Hush Comic Book Talkback (Spoilers)
-Reign of the Supermen Animated Release Talkback (Spoilers)
-The Death of Superman Animated Release Talkback (Spoilers)
-Suicide Squad: Hell To Pay Animated Feature Talkback (Spoilers)
-Teen Titans: The Judas Contract Animated Feature Talkback (Spoilers)
-Justice League Dark Animated Feature Talkback (Spoilers)
-Justice League vs Teen Titans Animated Feature Talkback (Spoilers)
-Batman: Bad Blood Animated Feature Talkback (Spoilers)
-Batman vs Robin Animated Features Talkback (Spoilers)
-Justice League: Throne of Atlantis Animated Feature Talkback (Spoilers)
-Son of Batman Animated Feature Talkback (Spoilers)
-Justice League: War Animated Feature Talkback (Spoilers)

Note: Remember, we appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

-batmat-

It was OK. Sadly the original artwork is so epic that the movie just can't do it justice. And this is worse due to the fact that they have to use the new 52 continuity designs... and sad to say the animation department seems to be lacking proper budget as the movies used to have in the start of this movie franchise. I wish they would have left this one stand alone with its unique designs.

It was faithful to the original comic in some ways, and some not. They pulled a Gotham By Gaslight changing the identity of the main villain. Catwoman gains much more relevance than in the original comic and Thomas Elliot loses some. That's the hard thing about adaptations. If they follow the original beat by beat, its kinda boring, and if they try new things, they are changing something that is originally iconic for something that, in most cases, isn't.

It had good moments. The Batman vs Superman fight was great, and Batman's line about Clark being a good person, and him not being one, was delivered perfectly. Great moment.

The Thomas and Bruce scene at the hospital stood out to me. It is rare that I pick up on bad pacing and acting in animation, but man, this scene was just so bad. Wooden performances, weird pacing in the dialogue, stiff animation, it was a bit cringe worthy.

Changing the ending made some scenes feel out of place. It was never explained or revealed if true if the Joker was truly innocent or not. Also, since when does the Lazarus Pit gives someone knowledge? Specially such specific knowledge. And such strenght and fighting classes?

I personally tend to remark on the stuff that I don't like, so I don't want to sound overly negative. But sadly there wasn't much on this that I can pick out as standing out for the better.

Batboy84

Also, since when does the Lazarus Pit gives someone knowledge? Specially such specific knowledge. And such strenght and fighting classes?
It's not so much specific knowledge, so much as clarity. Helps that he went in because of a brain tumor too. As for the strength, the Lazarus Pit doesn't just heal, it rejuvenates. Just look at Batman Beyond when Bruce used the pit. As for being able to fight, did the movie ever establish how much time passed between him submerging in the Lazarus Pit and the beginning of the movie? Because he could've just undergone training during that time.

majcvd49

I for one loved it.

It was a Batman blockbuster, in the truest sense of the term. Constant action, interesting relationship moments with Batman and Catwoman, and some strong set pieces. Also some solid Nightwing humor thrown in. Was it a bit lazily animated? Sure. And was the end twist jarring? Yes, at least initially. But upon reflection it actually makes more sense than the initial comic resolution, which was painfully obvious.

I also enjoyed how it furthered the overall narrative of this animated universe while also being enjoyable as a standalone Batman flick. Just something I can pop on when im looking for a fun shot of Batman action. I'd call that a win.

Spider-Man

I agree with what majcvd said above. I prefer the changes here in the animated movie as opposed to the comic itself. It makes a lot more sense and ends up being a more satisfying reveal than Hush's identity in the comics. I watched this over the weekend and really enjoyed it even though it has the same problems as most of the other movies. The animation could've been better but I assume the budget was spent more on the last two Superman animated movies than on this one. I imagine this will get crapped on quite a bit by fans online. It already had a lot going against it since they weren't adapting Lee's style so even if it's good this movie seemed like a damned if they do/damned if they don't situation.

Troy Troodon

I honestly found myself enjoying this until the last third; the ending really ruined the whole point of the original comic.

BigFatHairyDeal

Defender of the Universe
I have a general ambivalence toward the Jason O'Mara Batman movies. In short, I like that they take chances with the mythology and have created their own character arcs that aren't necessarily subject to the comics or other media. On the other hand, I feel like a lot of their stories were off the mark. Hush is another mixed bag.

I might be in the minority in that I think the quality of the animation is perfectly fine and up to standard with the movie line. Where I get disappointed with the animation is that the storyboarders don't seem to care anymore about conveying any realistic semblance of human fragility. Batman's fall from maybe a 100 feet or more directly onto the street only sidelined him for a couple weeks after surgery? Right... On the bright side, they used that story beat to give an excuse to change Batman's costume to look more like Jim Lee's Batman suit from the comics, so I give credit for that. Also, if Bane loses another fight thanks to a ruptured hose, then we might as well change the American lexicon from a weakness being described as someone's Kryptonite to the hose that connects Bane's head to his wrist contraption.

It's been about 15 years since I last read "Hush" so my recall of all the events is not that good. I was fully expecting the early foreshadowing of the Lazarus Pit to be linked to Thomas Elliott's revival and reveal as Hush. This is where I give the movie credit for not being so by the book, literally. It does change the story a lot, but I didn't think it was necessarily bad, though perhaps inferior to the source material. However, if I just saw this as a movie about how Batman and Catwoman's relationship will never quite work out, even if Catwoman reforms (mostly), then I think the movie's story is otherwise quite fine.

Trying to view this movie as a general fan who didn't necessarily know the story, I think the biggest weakness in the story is that it seems to jump around a bit. It does feel like the abridged version of a longer story, which essentially it was. A 12-issue arc fit into one 75-or-so-minute movie isn't an easy task, and unfortunately, you feel the compression effects.

Finally, I'm pretty tired of Batman v Superman, but I always thought the comic handled their fight correctly, and the movie does it great justice, and short of the expository narrative from the print version that gets lost on screen, it probably is better and more to the point.

Dreyfus

Some might call it the bane of his existence. Anyway, waiting to watch this on DC Universe, but tough to hear they changed so much.

Alex20

It was an alright movie. I never read the Hush arc in the comics but I remember hearing it wasn't that good so I didn't expect much going into this.

I really liked Riddler as Hush and that reveal along with the ending fight scene was the best part of this movie. On the flip side, Batman and Catwoman together is just so awful and dragged down the whole movie. I wound up skipping probably 10 minutes of it because of this.

Otaku-sempai

Has anyone else been unable to access The World's Finest over the past few days? When I've tried I keep timing out.

EDIT (8/10): Now WF is loading properly. I don't know what was up with it before, but it's fine now.

Last edited:

ABrown

This movie was alright. I didn't love it, I didn't hate it. You'll have to forgive me that I'm not familiar with the source material. I think what I liked most about the movie was this version of Catwoman. I was disappointed that the villain ended up being Riddler, as I'm not the biggest Riddler fan. In fact, as the movie was wrapping up, I was have a tough time believing that the entire thing didn't just take place in Bruce's head when he had the injury earlier in the movie.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
It's not so much specific knowledge, so much as clarity. Helps that he went in because of a brain tumor too. As for the strength, the Lazarus Pit doesn't just heal, it rejuvenates. Just look at Batman Beyond when Bruce used the pit. As for being able to fight, did the movie ever establish how much time passed between him submerging in the Lazarus Pit and the beginning of the movie? Because he could've just undergone training during that time.
I don't think a time was specified but granted the in-fighting among the League resumed after Bad Blood to fill the power vacuum left by Talia, it would have been up to 3 years. Or I suppose you could stretch to when Ra's is assassinated, so could've been 3-4 years prior.

Batboy84

Oh I did not like this movie. Everything felt off from start to finish. The pacing felt completely off, with the beginning 50 minutes or so feeling like a bunch of scenes stitched together, only to then spend like 2 minutes glossing over how Batman and Catwoman start fighting crime together for who knows how long before they get back to Hush. There were moments where they tried to do things differently from the graphic novel (Hush's identity), while other moments felt too close to the novel for the movie's own good, specifically with the whole thing with Superman. What purpose did that serve other than to tell Batman that someone named Hush orchestrated it?

As for Hush's identity, on the surface level, I get what they were going for. They wanted to keep up the mystery for those who read/know of the novel. The problem is that the movie makes the same mistake that the novel did: introducing the villain in the same story that he's the villain of. Yeah, we know who the Riddler is through other projects, but a movie should not depend on preconceived ideas that we as the audience form from other projects to divert suspicion or build up a motive. The fact that we've spent more time with Nygma as Hush than as the Riddler shows just how badly they failed here.

The same can be applied to Thomas Elliot. Obviously he's introduced here as both a red herring and as someone close to Batman to "raise the stakes". Problem is this is the first time he's shown up in these movies, and he only shows up in like 3 scenes. This was done to kill off someone without it being someone that they've developed.

As for Selina walking away, there was just not enough build up. They did not do enough to establish her disagreeing with Batman's refusal to kill until the very end. This part felt rushed.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Going into Batman: Hush, I knew there was no way it would be 1 to 1 translation of the comic nor was I really beholden to the comic either but I enjoyed where it diverged from the source because it broke into new territory into a deep, cerebral exploration of what Batman is and the tragic truth of how far he's willing to go and not go but I also liked the 'panels' taken right from the comic. And of course, it doesn't hurt to have the who's who of Batman's Rogues Gallery coming out the woodwork, the manipulations of Hush, and a good 'ol romp with Superman that made the comic one of the greatest stories ever told. Much like this year's Reign of the Supermen, I thought Batman: Hush brilliantly walked a tight rope between being a loose comic adaptation, a solo movie, and being part of an ongoing continuity. Hush is an excellent character deconstruction and heartfelt love story.

The center piece of the movie without a doubt is the character study presented by the relationship between Batman and Catwoman going to the next level. Where it's the issue of trust or who will change for whom and who won't, both are propelled into an almost anthology format of battles from Batman and Bane, to Poison Ivy and Superman, Harley Quinn, Joker, Clayface, Scarecrow, Riddler, and Hush. Each time we see how far Batman is willing to operate near the edge into the abyss.
-For Bane, he'll let him get electrocuted into submission and cooperate with the morally dubious Amanda Waller.
-With Superman, he'll fight with Kryptonite but admonish Catwoman for throwing Lois Lane off a roof.
-Or for killing a friend he wasn't really being a good friend to, he'll choke and pummel the Joker but leave him still breathing.
-He'll even try to pull a villain to safety by rope in the most impossible of situations.
-But he won't get Catwoman go over the line and slice any throats. Nor will he let anyone on his team come anywhere close to violating his golden no-kill rule.

While Damian was able to change for the better under Batman's code and we got to watch that unfold over several movies, it's heartbreaking see the opposite happen for Catwoman under Batman's code and Batman with Catwoman on his team. Fittingly, a leopard cannot change its spots. A tiger cannot change its stripes. One can't change one's essential and core nature despite their best effort. It very much mirrors the ending of another love story, "Casablanca." It wouldn't have ended any either way like with Rick and Ilsa. Batman and Catwoman love each other but had to let each other go. She knows freedom from her past but he is bound by his. But maybe someday... I liked that it ended on a glimmer of hope. It wasn't a super downer ending, there was still some heart to it.

Or another way to look at it is a version of the movie that works within the constraints of an 82 minute runtime and presents a more cohesive and tighter script than what a year long serial story arc that plays out over 11 issues can get away with. In a way, the notion of operating within an ongoing continuity also presents some challenges and opportunities to put a new spin on several story points.
-Batgirl is substituted in for Huntress and helps with recovering Batman after his fall.
-Or Bane takes Killer Croc's place in the hostage situation and has a result, the movie is able to touch on last year's "Suicide Squad: Hell To Pay" through Amanda Waller and recovering him for her team of supervillains. And whether it was intentional or not, it makes more sense if you read the Hell To Pay tie-in comic.
-The fabled Batman-Superman battle is trimmed to its core using Kryptonite knuckles and putting Lois in life threatening peril. There's even more weight to it if you watched the past releases "The Death of Superman" and "The Reign of the Supermen" which put a big focus on Superman/Clark and Lois' romance, which is useful to compare to Batman and Catwoman, as well as introduce the new suit Superman wears in Hush.
-Same with Lex. Changing where he was in the comics as the President, we get treated to a little more as to what happens with Lex after the finale of Reign of the Supermen as a bonus of sorts.
-For whatever reason, while the Bat Family gets a decent focus, it is kept smaller whether it be for pacing, time constraints, or budget, regulars like Leslie Thompkins or Harold who were in the comic are are kept out of the movie but Bat Family in the movie canon like Batwoman and Batwing are omitted.
-On the other hand, Commissioner Gordon has a bigger role than he's had than in previous movies.
-Joker's part is reworked slightly to make it more compelling than the comic, he's framed for the murder of Thomas Elliot and is beaten senseless by Batman until Commissioner Gordon can snap him out of it.
-Another brilliant reworking because of the canon, is since Talia is dead, Lady Shiva is kept in the movie but she becomes the touchstone for that world of the League of Assassins who tells Batman a Lazarus Pit was used and at the same time, provide a status check up for the group in this canon.
-Or since Jason Todd or Tim Drake aren't in the picture yet, the Clayface mystery is shifted down the line to Riddler while the graveyard battle for Scarecrow is expanded on a little.
-The biggest chance is reducing the role of Thomas Elliot to red herring which in return hacks away of lot of his backstory and gives time to grow Batman and Catwoman's arc more organically throughout the movie.
-As a consumer of DC animation, I wasn't too put off by the filmmakers molding Riddler into the real villain of the movie as it happened before in recent times with the "Scooby-Doo! & Batman: The Brave and The Bold" animated movie which was also supervised by James Tucker.

As I mentioned in the above paragraph, there are a lot of nice "bonus" lines that provide mini-updates on certain parts of the canon but there's also a decent amount of easter eggs, references, and nods here and there.
-Like in the opening scene, the party takes place at the Gotham Museum of Natural History where Batman first fought some zombie Talons in Batman vs. Robin.
-Or Ivy's hideout in Metropolis is a nod the Day of the Triffids movie which combined with Ivy is amusing since it was a sci-fi movie was about antagonistic venomous plants.
-There's also the double reference of the mask worn by Heath Ledger's Joker in the opening scene of "The Dark Knight" and the design of Pagliacci matches costume worn by the Joker the Batman' 66 episode "The Joker is Wild".
-Nightwing's current suit is a slight update from his previous suit that was used in Judas Contract. Mostly the same but in Judas Contract, the emblem was red and here, it's now blue.
-There's also a few cameos here and there like Renee Montoya walking with Gordon when he first appears or Lucius Fox at Thomas Elliot's funeral.
-One for the older fans was Riddler doing a snippet of "Shake Shake Shake" from KC and the Sunshine Band. Which kind of works since Riddler's ambition was higher in this movie and that's reportedly what the song was about, "to get out there and do it."
-My favorite callback was Nightwing humorously alluding to how Batman ended up with a son when Catwoman is taken to the Batcave for the first time.
-This is actually Scarecrow's 2nd appearance in the canon, he was in the Nightwing and Robin short that came with Throne of Atlantis. In this movie, he's got a new costume and a new VA, Chris Cox, rather than Michael Rosenbaum reprising.

The issue I could see viewers having with the movie was sadly the sheer amount of villains, some of the staging, and pacing perhaps but there are a few nitpicks here and there depending on where you're coming from in your knowledge of the source material. Ignoring the continuity, this is a gratuitous amount of cameos. While on one hand, we've waited years and years for them to show up in the canon like the Joker for example. He was teased early on in the movie line at Arkham in "Son of Batman" or on the Bat Computer in "Batman vs. Robin," and a fleeting mention by Harley in "Suicide Squad: Hell To Pay." Then he finally shows up in a canon movie only to be used as a patsy and punching bag although that's the same role he played in the comic. Despite that it pays off in the finale of the movie and Joker's inclusion was brilliantly altered a smidge, it could still feel like a letdown to some. I suppose some might take offense to the "slide show time skip" with the likes of Mr. Freeze, Penguin, and Two-Face instead of them getting their five minutes of fame. But on the flip side, you could argue, the characters that appeared are the ones that needed to. Otherwise, it would have been a series of vignettes that ran a little too long for one's attention span. Or Riddler.

On the surface, his part in the story passes the squint test. But from another angle, by the end of the movie, you have to really just roll with it. The Riddler debuts in this movie so his rage of being treated as a C-lister, his motives, his planning, and his capabilities have to be taken at face value. This wasn't something that's been built up over several movies. It's sort of left to each viewer to either accept or reject as a good enough reason and portrayal. That's if they're even familiar with the character to begin with. And it's up to the viewer to suss out what the Lazarus Pit did to "upgrade" Riddler, it's not going to spelled out to the letter. But the big reveal does come off jarring. It's just too much at a point when we're thinking, 'Okay, Batman, punch him out and get to the ending.'

Another thing one could really nitpick is the fall Batman takes. Sure that's armor and there's probably padding, but the depiction of that fall seemed rather unrealistic. That length of that fall looked fatal or crippling at best. Or even the jump Catwoman makes onto the train. The anthology structure of the movie may not roll with some viewers and could be misinterpreted as a pacing issue. Long time viewers could be annoyed with some of the more tried and true things being repeated again, like Bane's Venom tube being cut and him being subsequently electrocuted or changing the mystery villain's identity (which was just done last year in Gotham by Gaslight but that was a different crew to be fair).

The movie marks the directorial debut of Justin Copeland who started working on the DC animation direct to video movies in the mid-2010s as a storyboard artist and later did double duty as storyboard supervisor. Copeland and the team's storyboarders didn't skimp on any action or drama scenes and knew when to go big or go small, adapted some key scenes from the comic, and provided a fresh new angle on Batman, Catwoman, and Gotham that hasn't been done before. But it's almost criminal that Copeland only directed this and and co-directed the upcoming Wonder Woman: Bloodlines but it's only because of a once in a lifetime opportunity came up with an adaptation of the Skybound/Image series "Invincible." Sad he had to go, like Jake Castorena, but happy he's still going to be entertaining audiences with his future endeavors.

Ernie Altbacker had an intimidating task of taking an 11 issue storyline and adapt it into a 80 minute screenplay but I think he succeeded and showed a clear vision and careful guiding hand with what to keep, what to toss, what to rework, and what to add to make the Olympian jump from page to screen. I think where Altbacker succeeded was not focusing on the villains at the expense of the story but how the story is lifted by each villain encounter - like Aesop's Fables applied to Batman - culminating in the final battle with Riddler, a twisted mirror of Batman's ego perhaps. I liked the anthology format of battle to battle rather than a standard script Act 1 to Act 3. It was something different and lended itelf to the romance story.

Jason O'Mara and Jennifer Morrison put the movie on their backs and carry it along with ease while performing essentially two roles each as Batman and Bruce and Catwoman and Selina, respectively. The on-screen chemistry is there from the start of the movie at the party and you really want Bruce and Selina to work out this time despite the obvious. Sean Maher, Stuart Allan, James Garrett, and Bruce Thomas reprise their roles as Nightwing, Damian, Alfred, and Commissioner Gordon and despite being in and out of the Batman movies, it's still like no time has passed and they're on game. Rainn Wilson, Jerry O'Connell, and Rebecca Romijn have a guest spot is a nice bonus after they got a strong focus in the past two Superman movies as well as with Vanessa Willams returning as Waller and Hynden Walch as Harley Quinn from Hell To Pay. Newcomers Maury Sterling as Thomas Elliot, Geoffrey Arend as Riddler, Jason Spisak as Joker, Adam Gifford as Bane, Peyton List as Poison Ivy, Sachie Alessio as Lady Shiva, and Peyton List as Batgirl all put on strong performances in their debut and here's hoping they'll be showing up again in either these roles and/or in new ones. Some of them we had so little time with, it was almost criminal. I'll say it. I was impressed with List's take on Batgirl.

The filmmaker commentary track features Executive Producer James Tucker, Director Justin Copeland and screenwriter Ernie Altbacker. Whether you've read my movie reviews in the past or if you're reading one for the first time, I think every movie should have a commentary track and when it doesn't, I'll make a point of mentioning that. So this movie automatically gets a higher rating for having one. But on a slightly more serious note, the commentary does what it should really and provides a look behind the scenes in the making of this movie like the choice to make the romance between Batman and Catwoman the foundation of this story rather than the mystery of who Hush is, the various changes they made in adapting Hush from comics to screen, how to make the movie work for those who read or didn't read the original comic book arc, what was left on the cutting room floor, the easter egg references, which "young" or veteran storyboard artist worked on which major scene, some improv by Hynden Walch, accurate gun designs, working out the Joker scene, and how to end the movie. All in all, the commentary was a delight.

The movie's featurette, "Batman: Love in Time of War" explores the history of between Batman and Catwoman through out the various forms of media. It includes the standard talking head segments with animation and comic book professionals, academics, and behind the scenes of Batman: Hush. It's the basic primer in every release. The other special features include the sneak peek of the next DC Universe Movie title, Wonder Woman: Bloodlines coming out later this fall, a bonus episode from the Batman: The Animated Series "Catwalk" and trailers for Justice League vs. The Fatal Five and the live action hit Shazam! and a Hush figurine if you bought the combo pack from Best Buy. The upcoming Death and Return of Superman combined edition and live action Joker movie trailers play before the main menu. Kinda meager but at this point I only care about a commentary and the sneak peek.

Frontier

Staff member
I enjoyed the film. I might not rank it as one of my favorite Batman animated films, or as high as Under the Red Hood or Dark Knight Returns, but I thought it was a solid and fun Batman feature.

As an adaption of Hush set in the in-continuity line I also think it was handled fairly well but I can understand if this wasn't the Hush adaption a lot of people were hoping for, though frankly I think people have always had absurdly high expectations for when this popular story would finally be adapted.

I feel like I was spoiled a little by Reign and JLvsFF animation-wise as this felt like a bit of a step down visually. I mean, the animation wasn't terrible, but it lacked the polish and quality of the past two movies of this year in my opinion. I guess when you have four films a year, one of them had to take a hit production-wise :sad:.

And as a fan of Bourassa's character designs, I feel like there might be less complaints about them being the standard for the in-continuity films if the animation production for the line was always up to the standard of stuff like Reign. I feel like it takes Maven or Studio Mir for his designs or looks to really reach their full potential or pop on screen. I will say that I think all his female characters look very gorgeous and strong, and that was well on display with the ladies of this film :D.

That being said, as always the animation really picks up during action sequences, with the Batman vs. Superman fight, Catwoman vs. Ivy, and the final fight against Hush being suitably dynamic and exciting fight scenes :cool:.

I think the creators made a wise decision of focusing on the Batman/Catwoman romance with this movie. It's one of DC's most famous and popular relationships and one that has not been as featured in the films compared to, say, Superman and Lois, so it's nice to see it getting it's due here. It provided a strong emotional core to the events of the movie and a good way of humanizing Batman and bringing out a side of him we haven't really seen much of in these movies :anime:.

It was nice to see them go back to the classic blue and grey Batsuit that Batman wore during the comic storyline. I'm kind of surprised no one commented on the trunks though. I'm also curious to see if Batman will still be wearing it in future movies given the rest of the Trinity seem to be either sticking with modern costumes (Superman) or eventually changing into them (Wonder Woman) o_O.

I know Jason O'Mara is probably not many people's favorite Batman VA, but he's grown on me over time if only for the consistency he's reprised the role across all these in-continuity movies, and he's been one of the few to have stuck with their roles since the beginning with War. I don't think this movie will change anyone's mind about him but I felt his performance here was overall pretty serviceable and solid. There were times where I did feel his delivery was a little too dry, even if I think they partially lean on that for Batman's character, or his delivery was a little off but there were definitely scenes where I felt he shined, such as his playfullness with Catwoman, his mocking of Riddler at the end, and the final scene with Selina :crying:.

I thought Jennifer Morrison was a very solid Catwoman. I don't think she sounded as much of natural fit for the character as Jennifer Carpenter did, but I felt she, and the movie by extension, captured well Selina's flirty playfulness, her humanity, and her edge and what that brings to the table with her relationship with Batman. She may have a good heart deep down, but she's no goody-two-shoes, and a part of Batman wouldn't have her any other way ;).

I did feel Morison's delivery could use a bit of work at some lines, but it feels like a role she can grow into over time. I hope she gets the chance to reprise the role again soon :proud:.

I thought it was interesting that Selina's identity as Catwoman was not publically known, and that Bruce made it clear Gordon didn't know. She didn't even realize her costumed identity was why Bruce stopped seeing her. So she's apparently never been arrested in this continuity. Which kind of makes me think of a possible scenario where her identity gets outed or someone leaks her identity to the GCPD to drive a wedge between her and Bruce. Just imagine she and Bruce are about to reconcile or have an intimate moment and Gordon busts in to arrest Selina :ack:.

That reporter was totally Vicki Vale right? Redhead reporter? Got to be. Plus, role reprisal from Tara Strong if true :).

Bane finally appears in an in-continuity movie after being teased in JLvsTT and being cut from a possible ending for Hell to Pay. Although his role here doesn't really amount to much beyond fulfilling Killer Croc's role of a kidnapper, reducing Bane to a money-obsessed thug who, as always, is quickly dealt with after he's cut off from his venom by a Batarang. I get they justified Bane being "off" through a new venom strain and possible Ivy brainwashing, but still not the best showing for him :sad:.

Lady Shiva was really only in the movie for about two-minutes to set up the Lazarus Pit's factor into the twist and all the in-fighting going on with the League of Assasins for leadership with the Al Ghuls "dead." I do kind of wonder if any future movies will follow up on that element, and showcase who among the League is vying for leadership. Sensei? Nyssa? Another Damian clone :confused:?

It was a bit of a bummer that, with the high-quality action sequences of the DC Animated Feature line, we didn't get to see Shiva cut loose at all in the film. Although I am glad Bourassa didn't just use the exact same design for Shiva that he used for Young Justice (a same courtesy not offered to Mr. Freeze), even if basically amounted to Shiva ditching her pants. Not that I minded :p.

It was nice to finally get follow up on Batgirl from the ending of Bad Blood, even if it feels like they really skipped ahead to her being part of the Batfamily now. I guess with Robin gone she's the new "baby" of the bunch, although I'm surprised they're still letting her run around in that homeade costume :(.

Batgirl here came off as a capable crime-fighter with a very rigid moral code and a bit of an independent streak, which is very true to character for Barbara Gordon. I'm kind of surprised they never mentioned her relation to Jim at all, but she was really only in the movie to fulfill Huntress' role for a short period of time and then kind of vanish for the rest. I thought Peyton List captured the character quite well in what little dialogue she had, so I hope there are more plans for Batgirl moving forward so we can see and hear more of this take on Barbara Gordon :anime:.

Speaking of Peyton List...the other Peyton List proved to still be an extremely natural fit for Poison Ivy just as she did on the Gotham TV show, embodying Ivy's sensual and seductive nature with some attitude quite well. We also got some of plant goddess Ivy even if she didn't get to show it off much aside from her fight with Catwoman :evil:.

I think this is the first time Ivy has kissed a woman on-screen, animated or otherwise. I wonder if we'll get her first on-screen kiss with Harley in the Harley Quinn cartoon ;)?

It was nice to see the Superman cast again after Reign and seeing them settle into their roles. I liked the couple banter with Clark and Lois, as well as Lois meeting Bruce Wayne and asking for a raise if he bought the Planet :D.

Luthor as a "Probationary Member" of the Justice League. Yeah, I see that ending well...

I kind of felt like Batman and Superman's relationship was improving over the course of these movies, but they were very hostile towards each other here, although the circumstances didn't help matters. Maybe they need a Superman/Batman movie to hash things out and cement their friendship :(.

I kind of preferred how they handled the Lois situation where she fell because she forced herself off Catwoman instead of Selina just throwing her, but I guess this did set up the more dubious lengths Catwoman is willing to go for Batman that developed into the climax :eek:.

It's not cheating if your mind-controlled...right :rolleyes2:?

It was nice to hear Hynden Walch as Harley. No one can really replace Arlene Sorkin as the character but of all her "successors" I feel like Hynden has been able to capture the spirit of the character and voice well without being as grating as Tara's Harley can get :).

Although speaking of Tara, I wonder why they didn't have her reprise Harley since she was already in the movie? I wonder if that does lend credence to the idea that they originally wanted Hynden for Harley in Hell to Pay but couldn't get her, so that's why they had Tara play her :confused:?

It was also nice to see Harley in her classic jester costume again, although with exposed shoulders for...added sexiness I guess? Still vastly preferred over her Hell to Pay look :harley:.

"I'm the only one who can tie up Mr. J!" Yeah, that's...more about Harley and Joker's sex life then I think I needed to know :sweat:.

Damian's small moment was nice, with him calling in and giving Bruce some relationship advice. He even called Catwoman a "trollop" which, while a tad crude, is a very Damian thing to do. I love how this young kid is lecturing Batman of all people on proper relationship etiquette and safety when the closest he has to a relationship is whatever is going on between him and Raven:rolleyes: .

I found it somewhat amusing that we finally have Joker make his proper debut in this continuity and then he apparently kills a named character and gets beaten within an inch of his life by Batman. Like, jeez, that's probably the most vicious beatdown Batman's given Joker in an animated property :eek:.

Although I feel like the full weight of that moment in the comics is somewhat lost here since we don't have much precedent for how bad this version of Joker is or how much he's hurt Batman up to this point. So I guess it's another instance where the creators relied on fan preconceptions to sell an important moment. Heck, for a movie in this DVD line, Joker surprisingly never actually kills a single person :confused:.

Did anyone else get the sense that this Joker has been locked up in Arkham for a while? There was his comment about who's Robin now, which I felt was both a nod to Jason Todd and that Damian becoming Robin happened while he was locked up or "away," and he also doesn't seem used to Batman fighting villains other then him. I'm not even sure if he knew who Clayface was o_O.

I thought Jason Spisak did a really great job as Joker here. I felt he acclimated himself well to Joker in a more serious and darker setting of the animated movie continuity, which is kind of an oxymoron when talking about The Joker. His lines during the Batman beatdown and his commentary on the Clayface fight were fun. It almost kind of made me wish we had gotten more of him in the movie, and hopefully Spisak will get another chance to play the Clown Prince of Crime, particularly with a better opportunity to play off O'Mara's Batman. Although wouldn't it be amazing to watch him play off Rainn Wilson's Luthor :D?

What happened to Harley? They never really addressed what happened to her after she bounced out of there. I recall in the comic Batman knocked her out while he was beating up Joker, but as far as the movie is concerned she's the only villain who got away. For all her effort to save Joker I was half-expecting her to free him when the GCPD arrested him :confused:.

It would've been nice to see Batwoman and Batwing acknowledged. The most we get on that front is Montoya showing up next to Gordon and Lucius showing up at Tommy's funeral. But I get there's only so much you can get to in one movie :ack:.

Bruce Thomas' Gordon feels so out of his depth and overwhelmed in these movies, even by the standard of the character. I guess he did get his big moment of talking Batman out of killing Joker from the comic, but we haven't seen much of Batman and Jim's relationship in this universe to where I could really feel the connection and meaning in him doing that. But them's the breaks I guess...

I love how they saved Selina using a cat pun for after she finally had sex with Bruce. Like, she didn't give Ivy the satisfaction of one but she immediatley does it after having the most satisfying sex of her life ;).

Seeing Batman and Catwoman as crime-fighting partners and in a bit of "maritabl bliss" phase of their relationship was a refreshing change of pace from what we usually see with Batman. Who needs Robin :p?

It was also nice to get cameos of Penguin, Two-Face, and Mr. Freeze. Really, I think they had pretty much all the major Bat-Villains covered in this movie aside from Killre Croc and Man-Bat (who they'd already used) or Mad Hatter and Firefly (who they'd already killed off)...

I guess if there's one character from Hush who the movie did a bit of disservice to would be Two-Face, but I guess he should feel lucky that his Two-Face side didn't succeed in having Professor Pyg remove the Dent side. And with a possible Long Halloween adaption coming up, fans of Two-Face will see the character get his due :).

Although one character who benefitted from more screentime then they even had in the original story was Nightwing. It was nice to see Dick be so involved in things and his and Alfred playing wingman for Bruce with Selina was a highlight of the film. Although he kind of dropped the ball with dropping the "Son" bomb so soon :eek:.

I guess it's hard to ignore the biggest change and swerve in the movie, Riddler being Hush. Personally, while I am a fan of Thomas Elliot as Hush, I can understand wanting to find a way to preserve the mystery or surprise fans, and I thought it was a fairly clever way of combining two of the stories biggest twists (Hush's identity, Riddler knowing Batman's identity) into one cohesive package :cool:.

Like, the biggest weakness of Hush as a narrative was how obvious it was who Hush is. So I don't blame the creators for trying to improve on that even if, on the level of being a faithful adaption, it hurts the film to some degree. But it was always something I think the creators were going to have to wrestle with one way or another. Short of spending more time developing Elliot (which may have cut back on the important moments of Bruce and Selina), it would be difficult making Hush a compelling and believable threat as a new character within the timeframe that they had :(.

But I can also see where the Riddler twist would have been improved by better establishing him as a villain beforehand or better laying the groundwork for the reveal, even if I think the bare necessities are there. But I think overall Riddler proved to be a very formidable adversary in the end, and this whole convoluted plan of Hush's was very Riddler-esque in it's intricacy :evil:.

I also want to praise Geoffrey Arend for his performance here. He was extremenly believable as the smarmy, non-threatening and condescending intellectual Riddler while also the serious, machiavellian, mastermind Hush. If it was him doing both Riddler and Hush's voice before the reveal, he did an amazing job differentiating the two voices. If they hadn't killed him off at the end, I would have loved to have heard more of Arend as Nygma :anime:.

It's almost hard to believe that, in the context of this movie, Tommy Elliot was actually a good guy and genuine friend for Bruce. I mean, he still comes out of nowhere but I kind of liked the banter he had with Bruce. And Riddler just digging up his body and hanging like that was a seriously sick thing to do :mad:.

I know some people were disappointed Jason Todd wasn't referenced in this movie, but honestly I didn't think he needed to be. I liked that moment in the comics but it was one that worked well because it had a lot of comic history behind it that I don't think would have worked in a standalone movie, especially one where they're working under a continuity where there have only been two Robins. I did think the way they repurposed the Clayface twist was fairly clever :cool:..

The movie did end on a bittersweet note, with Batman and Selina ending their relationships because Bruce is too dedicated to his mission and to what it means to be a hero even at the cost of himself, and Selina wanting more then that because she loves and cares about him. It's a bit of a tragic way for things to develop, but one that feels in-line with the kind of relationship Battman and Catwoman have. But at least it also ended on the hope that their might be a future for them someday :).

Honestly, after this film, I wouldn't mind more Batman films or at least another film set in Gohtam. I'd love to see more of the Batfamily, continue to develop Batman and Catwoman's relationship, or even develop more of the Rogues Gallery. I'm not sure if that's in the cards, but I feel like this movie opened up the potential for more :anime:.

Last edited:

Dreyfus

The best one I've seen in a while. I was worried going in that the story changes would drag me down on it, but pleasant surprise it went over really well and actually added a lot to a story that is otherwise pretty basic-level. This is also the first movie to make me feel like the in-universe continuity had a purpose because it made me actually care about the relationship between Batman and Selina and it gave Batman some much-needed character conflict/development. I may be speaking too soon after watching this for the first time, but it really struck the same kind of notes that Mask of the Phantasm did for me with Andrea Beaumont and Bruce's happiness and conflict with it, except with Catwoman, which I think is an awesome dynamic and great use for both her and Bruce's character development. Overall a great adaptation and I say kudos to the script writer and all involved.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
It probably would have dragged the story and there wasn't enough time/budget but it's somewhat amusing that Hush didn't sic any villains on Alfred/Wayne Manor or Damian (and the Titans) even he was all about destroying Batman's life before killing him.

Spotlight

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

FOP marathon on NickPluto.. it's not off yet though.
My website's server is falled down. I am working on it....
So I seemed to have found another couple of episode titles for Colonel Bleep yesterday: Two more Colonel Bleep episode titles?

Nick@Nite social media finally posted about Friends trivia challenge though

Featured Posts