• Enter to win two tickets to Howl's Moving Castle. Details here.

"Batman: Hush" Animated Feature Pre-Release News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Latest News & Videos

BigFatHairyDeal

Defender of the Universe
Yay, another movie with a Batman v. Superman fight. Maybe if we're lucky, we'll also get another Superman origin story, or a Death of Superman story, because these three types of movies never happen...

Snarkiness aside, at least "Hush" has one of the few good Batman v. Superman fights (I'd say the second best to the one in the new 52 JL comics), so if it's faithful to the books, I can live with it. Of course, part of that which made the book's version was Batman's inner monologue, which will be hard to translate without an anime-style color commentary character narrating what's going on, heh.

Frontier

Staff member
Yay, another movie with a Batman v. Superman fight. Maybe if we're lucky, we'll also get another Superman origin story, or a Death of Superman story, because these three types of movies never happen...

Snarkiness aside, at least "Hush" has one of the few good Batman v. Superman fights (I'd say the second best to the one in the new 52 JL comics), so if it's faithful to the books, I can live with it. Of course, part of that which made the book's version was Batman's inner monologue, which will be hard to translate without an anime-style color commentary character narrating what's going on, heh.
I'm curious if they'll keep the Superman fight in the movie, although I guess it is one of the "highlights" of the story as a whole...

If they do, assuming Conroy is Batman, I wonder if they'll get Daly or Newbern back for Supes :)?

Pfeiffer-Pfan

According to James Tucker's twitter, he is a producer on BATMAN: HUSH. He hasn't done a stand-alone release since Assault on Arkham in 2014 so this doesn't bode well for this being out of continuity. Even in this video, it seems like O'Mara is at least familiar with the movie.

I swear, if they use O'Mara and the Bourassa artwork, this will be the biggest disappointment of the DC Universe line to date for me. They need to try adapting Jim Lee's artwork and Conroy would be perfect for this. Jeph Loeb always said when writing Batman, Conroy was the voice he heard in his head.

Also, here's the generic pre-cover artwork for the film on Amazon UK.

Dallas Kinard

According to James Tucker's twitter, he is a producer on BATMAN: HUSH. He hasn't done a stand-alone release since Assault on Arkham in 2014 so this doesn't bode well for this being out of continuity. Even in this video, it seems like O'Mara is at least familiar with the movie.

I swear, if they use O'Mara and the Bourassa artwork, this will be the biggest disappointment of the DC Universe line to date for me. They need to try adapting Jim Lee's artwork and Conroy would be perfect for this. Jeph Loeb always said when writing Batman, Conroy was the voice he heard in his head.

Also, here's the generic pre-cover artwork for the film on Amazon UK.
I 100% agree with this.

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
I'm kind of two-minds about it.

Like, I can see the desire to set this out-of-continuity since it's a fairly standalone story with a strong visual style all it's own, as well as Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill having expressed interest in doing a proper adaption of the story in the past. I totally get that.

But I can kind of see the idea behind making it in-continuity as well, like they did with Death of Superman, in that it affords them the opportunity to showcase more of this universe's version of Batman's Rogues Gallery, Catwoman, and do a movie that's more character-focused around Bruce compared to the past trilogy of in-continuity Batman movies that were really more about Robin and the Batfamily when you think about it.

It also probably doesn't hurt that this universe has a burgeoning Batfamily that they could actually use in a Hush adaption without having to work to re-introduce them to audiences.

So I'm not really for or against either way, but it'll be interesting to see what they do with it.

Dreyfus

They should just let that in-continuity stuff go. DC already did with Rebirth, and I'm pretty sure they were just following the lead/directive of the New 52 anyway. It would be a huge mistake to do that to a Hush adaptation. I think they'll understand that since this is one of the "classic" Batman stories, it deserves its own treatment.

Frontier

Staff member
They should just let that in-continuity stuff go. DC already did with Rebirth, and I'm pretty sure they were just following the lead/directive of the New 52 anyway. It would be a huge mistake to do that to a Hush adaptation. I think they'll understand that since this is one of the "classic" Batman stories, it deserves its own treatment.
Well, the same argument could be said for Judas Contract and Death/Reign, but they've also adapted them into their animated film continuity.

I think DC, and James Tucker, has invested too much into these in-continuity films to just up and end them.

Pfeiffer-Pfan

I wish I had your enthusiasm for them, Frontier, but it's slightly neutered the line in many ways for me.

We'll see what happens... but the only investment they have in the 'in continuity' stuff is how they keep budgets down.

Otaku-sempai

I'm not sure how making Batman: Hush an in-continuity project affects it much compared to The Death of Superman or Teen Titans: The Judas Contract. But I also have zero emotional investment in the story or in the character of Tommy Elliot/Hush.

Spider-Man

I could see this adapted in the 'New 52' style since it's a story that can stand up on its own and fit in with the previous New 52 Batman animated series. If they use that style I won't matter. I like O'Mara and I've grown to really like him in the role. There's really no reason for them not to use that style if they need to save money. I wonder since there is four movies next year if that could alter the budget. Of course if they do choose to adapt Jim Lee's style I hope they find a good balance so we can avoid a mess like the old 90s X-Men cartoon. The story is also very episodic so I wonder how they will get around that.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
''In general''... there's no denying Gotham By Gaslight takes more man hours and resources in pre-production than something like the in continuity films. Timm alluded to pretty much that.
Okay, so instead of the budget, man hours and resources. Sure, for pre-production of stand alones like Gaslight more time is dedicated than in-continuity. But even then, it probably balances out anyway (i.e. TOTAL MANHOURS AND RESOURCES THEORITICAL BREAKDOWN Standalone: 1/2 Preproduction, 1/4 Production, 1/4 Post and In Continuity: 1/4 Preproduction, 1/2 Production, 1/4 Post) in total.

Frontier

Staff member
I think, rather then budget, doing in-continuity movies at least might save them time to get more features out per year since they can use old designs and not start completely from scratch each movie :).

Although even having said that there are still probably enough new characters per movie that justifies Bourassa being busy :p.

StrangeMan

This is great news! I hope that they don't make it an in-continuity film with the rest of the New52 animated movies simply because I'm not a big fan of their art style, and it would be a huge disservice to waste the oportunity to try to adapt Jim Lee's awesome artwork.
But other than that I think the New52 animated movies have gotten a little better with the last few releases, Death of Superman was the first one of those movies that I actually really enjoyed so I'm optimistic even if Hush ends up being an in-continuity movie.

Elias Lachenal

SO just to clarify... HUSH will release right after Reign of Supermen next year?!

SO the order of release would then be...

#1 Reign of Supermen
#2 HUSH
#3 JL vs F5
#4 WW Bloodlines

Frontier

Staff member
SO just to clarify... HUSH will release right after Reign of Supermen next year?!

#1 Reign of Supermen
#2 HUSH
#3 JL vs F5
#4 WW Bloodlines
I'm pretty sure it's the other way around for JLvsFF and Hush, assuming the order they were announced at Comic-Con is the order they will be released in.

RoyalRubble

Staff member

#1 Reign of Supermen
#2 HUSH
#3 JL vs F5
#4 WW Bloodlines
As mentioned in the opening post, Batman: Hush is the 3rd movie for 2019. So the order is Reign of the Supermen, Justice League vs. Fatal Five, Batman: Hush and Wonder Woman: Bloodlines.