"Batman: Gotham By Gaslight" Animated Feature Pre-Release News & Discussion (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frontier

Staff member
That would be hilarious. But the cynic in me thinks it'll be Conroy. Plus, Conroy did hint back at the end of February that he's in an upcoming DTV that hadn't been announced yet.
I'm not sure if we really need Conroy again after he'd just played Batman again for Batman and Harley Quinn, though at least here he would get to play a Victorian-era Batman and actually have to do something different with his performance for once :rolleyes2:.

Although it would be cool if we got another Thomas Wayne situation here :).

Road to Gotham

There was a squeal called MASTER OF THE FUTURE.
Maybe they will combine these 2 stories into one movie.

Side Note. Batman wore the GOTHAM BY GASLIGHT custom in a B:TB&TB episode, "Trials of the Demon!".

Otaku-sempai

There was a squeal called MASTER OF THE FUTURE.
Maybe they will combine these 2 stories into one movie.
Yes, that's been brought up and it is a distinct possibility. The two tales combined only come to 112 pages. At the same time, they are both stand-alone stories and combining them creates issues of pacing and story flow that would need to be overcome.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Yeah, it would be a tough order to combine it. Maybe something like connecting Jack the Ripper's motivations to frame Bruce with Claypool's big plan to clear the slums -- something like Bruce had some claim to the land or was championing efforts against redeveloping and the Ripper's connection to the Wayne Family and revenge thing was just his personal reason for going along with Claypool's plan.

Pfeiffer-Pfan

Cool Rider
I'm not sure if we really need Conroy again after he'd just played Batman again for Batman and Harley Quinn, though at least here he would get to play a Victorian-era Batman and actually have to do something different with his performance for once :rolleyes2:.

I don't quite get this backlash that is happening for Conroy at the minute. He is only selected for appropriate projects anyway. Looking at his resume over the past five years, there is not one project where I thought, ''Oh here we go... the cynic in me was right, they've given us Conroy AGAIN, doing the same old, same old :rolleyes2:''.

He was stunning in The Killing Joke, gave a great performance in the recent Injustice 2 and is doing great things with a more sarcastic tone in Justice League Action. He was a little off in Arkham Knight (the dialogue is dire in those games), but he is remarkably consistent with his work.

He probably won't be cast in this and I don't think he should be. However, with fanboys, it seems like you're damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Frontier

Staff member
I don't quite get this backlash that is happening for Conroy at the minute. He is only selected for appropriate projects anyway. Looking at his resume over the past five years, there is not one project where I thought, ''Oh here we go... the cynic in me was right, they've given us Conroy AGAIN, doing the same old, same old :rolleyes2:''.

He was stunning in The Killing Joke, gave a great performance in the recent Injustice 2 and is doing great things with a more sarcastic tone in Justice League Action. He was a little off in Arkham Knight (the dialogue is dire in those games), but he is remarkably consistent with his work.

He probably won't be cast in this and I don't think he should be. However, with fanboys, it seems like you're damned if you do and damned if you don't.
I'm never against Conroy reprising Batman, he's always great in whatever he's in (even in Arkham Knight for the most part), I just think it would be nice to get to see someone new get a chance to voice the Caped Crusader every now and then given how often Conroy (and even O'Mara) get to reprise their roles ;).

Pfeiffer-Pfan

Cool Rider
That wasn't targeted at you specifically, Frontier. Just a few comments (some of them even quite homophobic) that I have seen online recently.

rggkjg1

KRYPTONITE NEVERMORE!
COME ON!!!!!!!!! (my instant reaction to seeing Gotham By Gaslight announced for the first time). This isn't a sarcastic "Another Batman movie? Didn't see that coming." response, this was complete anger and frustration over this entire Batman situation. I guess I also assumed the Return Of The Caped Crusaders sequel would be the next film since we all know it's coming. And trust me, my anger/frustration has nothing to do with that not being the next release.

We only get 3 of these movies a year. Can ONE of them PLEASE not have Batman in it, or anything to do with Batman?!! Ever since Flashpoint in 2014, here is the predictable trend of movies that get released:

- Justice League movie with Batman in this animated shared DC movie universe.
- Solo Batman movie in the shared DC movie universe. (This year The Judas Contract filled this spot. It still counts in this category since Nightwing is in it and it continues with Damian's story. One of the most requested films to adapt says the WB announcements. HA. Yeah, as a more FAITHFUL adaptation, not tweaked to fit into this shared universe.)
- "Random" Batman movie not tied to the current animated DC movie universe.

Most importantly, doesn't having this shared universe defeat the entire purpose of this movie line? Do away with the shared universe. That alone would free up a spot for something else that is NOT Batman. Or keep it, but only do ONE Batman or ONE Justice League shared DCU movie.

I said it before, all the CW DC shows are hits. Wonder Woman is the highest grossing and most critically acclaimed release in the cinematic DCU. What more does WB need to see that there is a market for something other than Batman? Is ONE animated movie without, or nothing to do with Batman too much to ask for? I know all the money is in Batman. But at the very least wouldn't WB just get back their money by following up a non Batman release with a Batman release?

Otaku-sempai

COME ON!!!!!!!!! (my instant reaction to seeing Gotham By Gaslight announced for the first time). This isn't a sarcastic "Another Batman movie? Didn't see that coming." response, this was complete anger and frustration over this entire Batman situation. I guess I also assumed the Return Of The Caped Crusaders sequel would be the next film since we all know it's coming. And trust me, my anger/frustration has nothing to do with that not being the next release.
You need to understand that Return of the Caped Crusaders and the upcoming Batman vs. Two-Face are part of a separate line, DC Classics, and do not count towards the number of DC Universe releases. The Batman vs. Two-Face animated feature will probably be released sometime this Fall--well before Gotham by Gaslight.

I do not count Justice League: The Judas Contract as one of the Bat-centric features. Despite featuring both Damian and Nightwing, Batman never appears in it, even in voice only. I don't mind most of the movies falling into a shared universe, so long as it isn't a predominantly dark and depressing universe filled with angsty heroes who don't understand the meaning of the word 'heroic'. Unfortunately, that is what we've seen over the past few years.

-batmat-

Gotham by Gaslight was probably decided and made (and finished?) long before Wonder Woman's success

rggkjg1

KRYPTONITE NEVERMORE!
More specifically twards Gotham By Gaslight, I think in my angry/frustrated COME ON!!!! reaction also had to do with the comic only having 52 pages. Is that enough material for an animated film? Maybe they'll combine the sequel into the movie too. Or should I just expect that to be ANOTHER stand alone BATMAN movie in the future?

Is the well on more lengthy Batman stories now dried up, and should we expect more adaptations of shorter stories?

BigFatHairyDeal

Defender of the Universe
More specifically twards Gotham By Gaslight, I think in my angry/frustrated COME ON!!!! reaction also had to do with the comic only having 52 pages. Is that enough material for an animated film? Maybe they'll combine the sequel into the movie too. Or should I just expect that to be ANOTHER stand alone BATMAN movie in the future?

Is the well on more lengthy Batman stories now dried up, and should we expect more adaptations of shorter stories?

Don't forget that Superman vs. the Elite was based on a single issue, Action Comics #775, which Amazon approximates as only 40 pages.

The way I see it, it's fine for stories to be scaled to be longer if the central premise is good enough to make a movie about. It might even be better than taking a longer story such as the death of Superman and having to cut so much from it that it's hardly the same story anymore.

Since SDCC is on the way, I look forward to seeing the full 2018 slate.

Pfeiffer-Pfan

Cool Rider

Possibly suggesting that Timm is spearheading Gotham By Gaslight? I can't image he is involved in the ''Death/Reign of Superman'' stuff, as between the original stuff in Justice League/JLU and Doomsday, he would be shockingly repeating himself.

Based on recent tweets, I'd say:

Executive Producer: Bruce Timm
Director: Sam Liu (He talked about finishing touches back in June)
Composer: Frederick Weidmann

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Towards the end of the Batman and Harley Quinn panel from Comic-Con (around the 22:05 minutes mark in this recording), Gary Miereanu teased that some of the people there may have worked on Gotham by Gaslight.

Pfeiffer-Pfan

Cool Rider
From the Batman and Harley Quinn iTunes Extras, a small (not terribly exciting image):

negt8i.png

I suppose we should be hearing about the voice cast next week. They usually announce it before the digital release of the sneak peek.

mrbean1500

From the Batman and Harley Quinn iTunes Extras, a small (not terribly exciting image):

negt8i.png

I suppose we should be hearing about the voice cast next week. They usually announce it before the digital release of the sneak peek.

The character designs remind me of 2004 Batman series.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts