"Batman: Gotham By Gaslight" Animated Feature Pre-Release News & Discussion (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Batman: Gotham by Gaslight is the next movie title, as mentioned on the back cover for the Batman and Harley Quinn home media release. Click the image below for further details and stayed tuned for further updates.

Discuss this forthcoming animated feature right here at The DC Animation Forum.

Attachments

• bhqgbg.jpg
    bhqgbg.jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 167

Frontier

Staff member
So the next film is going to be a Gotham by Gaslight adaption! Interesting...curious to see how much they adapt or expand from the source material, and what the voice cast and art style will look like :cool:.

Also interesting that we're apparently getting another out-of-continuity film start off next year straight after Batman and Harley Quinn :).

Troy Troodon

The back cover art for this has been released and reveals GOTHAM BY GASLIGHT as the next movie. I'm on my phone at the minute so you'll all have to do a bit of hunting.

Another Batman movie?! Can we please get a stand alone Superman movie, like Red Son?! It's too soon for another Batflick. I mean nothing wrong with that but still we need a break from Batman oversaturation.

Greg91

Reporter
That is surprising to see an out-of-continuity movie early next year. It seems like the DC animation crew might be mixing it up with these movies. Last year, we got the in-universe Batman movie before the in-universe Justice League movie. This year we got an in-universe Teen Titans movie instead of an in-universe Batman movie. Who knows if they've changed things up dramatically for next year?

It is interesting to see the first movie for next year listed on the back cover since they usually don't do that.
Another Batman movie?! Can we please get a stand alone Superman movie, like Red Son?! It's too soon for another Batflick. I mean nothing wrong with that but still we need a break from Batman oversaturation.
I'm not sure we can expect anything else. As James Tucker stated here, before Teen Titans: The Judas Contract, the studio felt the need to include the Justice League or Batman in all their (recent) movies. The Judas Contract was only made because it followed Justice League vs Teen Titans.

Even though we're still getting Batman and Harley Quinn this year, we got one movie without Batman at all since Superman: Unbound. That's a pretty big deal, so even if we get more Batman, I don't mind as long as they're making an effort to branch away from relying on the character.

Last edited:

Otaku-sempai

It is interesting to see the first movie for next year listed on the back cover since they usually don't do that.
Not so; The name of the Sneak Peek is routinely revealed on the back cover packaging, even when it is for the next year's first quarter. It isn't always revealed this far in advance, but there isn't an autumn release (except perhaps for the Caped Crusaders vs. Two-Face feature, but that is a different line (DC Classics).

Greg91

Reporter
Not so; The name of the Sneak Peek is routinely revealed on the back cover packaging, even when it is for the next year's first quarter. It isn't always revealed this far in advance, but there isn't an autumn release (except perhaps for the Caped Crusaders vs. Two-Face feature, but that is a different line (DC Classics).
Not always. Sometimes it is like Batman: Assault on Arkham in 2014 and sometimes it isn't like Justice League: Gods and Monsters in 2015. Most of the time, it seems like it isn't because they like to save those reveals for Comic-Con, but maybe I'm just not remembering correctly.

Otaku-sempai

The Sneak Peek title isn't always on the prototype art for the DVD/Blu-ray packaging, but it is always on the final product.

Pfeiffer-Pfan

Cool Rider
Remember, Jennifer Carpenter supposedly revealed she will be voicing Catwoman in this adaptation. Therefore, we know they are expanding on the story quite a bit. It'll be interesting to see if they can pull it off (This was due for the 20 minute DC Showcase shorts treatment - might it have worked better there?).

Who knows, perhaps they are sending Jason O Mara's Batman to an alternate timeline and it is still an in continuity tale?

Looking forward to the sneak peek.

Otaku-sempai

Remember, Jennifer Carpenter supposedly revealed she will be voicing Catwoman in this adaptation. Therefore, we know they are expanding on the story quite a bit. It'll be interesting to see if they can pull it off (This was due for the 20 minute DC Showcase shorts treatment - might it have worked better there?).
I was just going to mention that myself. The "Superman/Shazam" Showcase short was double-length (what used to be called a 'two-reeler') and ran for 25 minutes. That treatment was, as you point out) also proposed for "Gotham by Gaslight".

Who knows, perhaps they are sending Jason O Mara's Batman to an alternate timeline and it is still an in continuity tale?
I'm skeptical about that idea, though I'm not sure that incorporating the story's sequel "Master of the Future" into the adaptation would be the best solution either as the two tales are both done-in-ones. On the other hand, the two tales together only come to 112 pages, so they might be combined after all.

The original story had no female lead. Maybe Catwoman's character arc will mirror her development in Batman: Year One. That would entirely fit-in with the Ripper stalking and murdering prostitutes. Selina might even be substituted for Julie Madison from "Master of the Future".

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
Not much to talk about without seeing the sneak peek and knowing how they're going to adapt or expand on the original story, but it is pretty cool knowing Catwoman is going to be in it in some form :).

I don't think she's had a major role in a movie, not counting the Showcase short or Return of the Caped Crusaders, since Year One.

Oh this is great news! The fact that a stand alone film is kicking off the slate next year gives me hope that they're finally putting this lackluster Justice League 52/Son of Batman continuity to bed. Only good film of the bunch was Justice League Dark. They'll probably keep going, but I have hope we'll get back to three unique stories, art styles, & casts a year.
I hope Gaslight is good enough to get Red Son made.
Glad to see Oliva isn't involved, sans the Dark Knight Returns most of his work is unjustifiably over the top and immature/underdeveloped.

Frontier

Staff member
It would be kind of funny if O'Mara is in this and finally gets to use his actual accent :p.

Jay Oliva unfortunately didn't work on this film.

(Note there's some bad language in the replies)
I am kind of curious about the crew for this o_O.

I think Liu has confirmed he's got a movie in the pipeline, but that's also probably the next in-continuity film. And I doubt Timm will be directing this right after Batman and Harley Quinn.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
If it's Liu, props to that guy working on 3-5 movies in various stages every day. I remember at some point James Tucker said he would be directing a movie.

Otaku-sempai

If Bruce Timm is the director then this gives him another chance to change-up his style. I can't see much point in adapting Gotham by Gaslight into animation without trying to evoke the look of the original story.

#1 defender

I think Liu has confirmed he's got a movie in the pipeline, but that's also probably the next in-continuity film. And I doubt Timm will be directing this right after Batman and Harley Quinn.

I thought Sam Liu is directing Batman and Harley Quinn, with Bruce Timm producing?

Do we have any idea what Jay Oliva is currently up to? Hopefully he's not too tied up with his work on the DCEU live action movies. I know he wants to break into live action and i wish him all the best, but i'd hate to lose his directorial touch in these animated movies.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I thought Sam Liu is directing Batman and Harley Quinn, with Bruce Timm producing?
Correct. And Liu has already hinted at a 2018 title he's finishing/finished up. On June 15, Liu tweeted he's putting the finishing touches on a title that releases in 2018. And it also involves Wiedmann and Timm.

Do we have any idea what Jay Oliva is currently up to? Hopefully he's not too tied up with his work on the DCEU live action movies. I know he wants to break into live action and i wish him all the best, but i'd hate to lose his directorial touch in these animated movies.
No, but he did make a cryptic tweet on July 7, 2016. 'last few weeks were tough but today was an awesome day' and 'great things on the horizen for DC live action and animation.' So looks like he's still working in both fields. Seem like around spring 2016, he started prep for probably a 2018 title. On January 22, at 2:27-2:34 and 2:35-2:39, Oliva stated something to the effect of 'his first movie for 2017 [we know was JLD] is done and the crew is awaiting overseas animation' then 'in a couple months, he begins prep for his second movie for 2017'. Since Liu directed the other 2 for this year, he might have meant 2018.

It would be kind of funny if O'Mara is in this and finally gets to use his actual accent :p.
That would be hilarious. But the cynic in me thinks it'll be Conroy. Plus, Conroy did hint back at the end of February that he's in an upcoming DTV that hadn't been announced yet.

BigFatHairyDeal

Defender of the Universe
I just assume we get a solo Batman film every year, but I'd rather that they don't double-up on Batman. At least space it out so we can get faux-variety.

Troy Troodon

You know, after watching the new Castlevania series on Netflix, I think either Richard Armitage or James Callis would make a good Gaslight Batman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.
Change of plans, no concert for me tonight! Instead, if everything goes according to plan, I will instead be seeing Chris Barron (of Spin Doctors) in May.
I may actually delete my twitter account. It is just really bad these days, and I have other ways to keep in touch with the few people on there I do care about, so deleting it would be rather easy. Something I once thought I'd never think of doing.
And now: A Classic Toonzone Moment #3

On the TTTP on October 13, 2002, a couple of users question if Dumb Patrol (1964) is truly offensive, causing a long discussion about flame wars: "Dumb Patrol"
I still haven't made a real post on that Dreamwidth blog I have linked in my signature. Still deciding what I want to do with it, really. I want to practice my reviewing skills so I may use it exclusively as a review blog for whatever I feel like.

Featured Posts