"Batman: Gotham By Gaslight" Animated Feature Pre-Release News & Discussion (Spoilers)

Latest News

WebMasterSage

Obey the Pecking Order.
Jun 17, 2015
Ratings
342 5
Here are some updates from the Batman: Gotham By Gaslight iTunes page. There's also a screenshot of how the cover for the home media release might look.

About the Movie
It's Batman vs. Jack the Ripper in an Elseworld's adventure that imagines the Dark Knight over a hundred years ago in a turn-of-the-century Gotham.

Credits:
Actors: Bruce Greenwood
Jennifer Carpenter
Chris Cox
John DiMaggio
David Forseth
Grey Griffin
Anthony Head
Bob Joles
Yuri Lowenthal
Lincoln Melcher
Scott Patterson
William Salyers
Tara Strong
Bruce Timm
Kari Wuhrer

Director: Sam Liu
Screenwriter: Jim Krieg
Producer: Bruce Timm
I'm guessing John DiMaggio is Jack the Ripper then. Though I will say it's pretty nice Bruce Greenwood is surprisingly back as Batman before Outsiders. Saw him on Kingsman last weekend and yet here we are.

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Ratings
11,409 46
Sherman Oaks CA
I'm guessing John DiMaggio is Jack the Ripper then. Though I will say it's pretty nice Bruce Greenwood is surprisingly back as Batman before Outsiders. Saw him on Kingsman last weekend and yet here we are.
He could also be playing Hugo Strange.
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that Tara Strong will voice (Miss? Mrs.?) Barbara Gordon.
It would be fitting ;).

I also think Grey Griffin is playing the redheaded woman in the sneak peek who Jack the Ripper attacks (if that's not Barbara).

GWOtaku

Staff member
Reporter
Feb 21, 2003
Ratings
753 6
Arlington, VA
Bruce Greenwood (Batman: Under the Red Hood) is Batman / Bruce Wayne in Gotham by Gaslight. Jennifer Carpenter is Selina Kyle. All per official word at the Gaslight panel and an interview session before.

Edit: Jennifer Carpenter, not Lawrence. Don't know why I typed that

Last edited:

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Mar 8, 2009
Ratings
7,914 6
A Valid Location
October 19th:
I think the most recent project Choi worked on was Batman and Harley Quinn.

EDIT:
DC All Access has interviews with the crew that worked on this movie from Comic-Con:

November 1st:
Looks like the movie will be rated R, for "some violence", according to Film Ratings
TITLE: Batman: Gotham By Gaslight (2017)
RATING: R
CERTIFICATE #: 51306
REASON: Rated R for some violence.
DISTRIBUTOR: Warner Bros. Home Entertainment
ALTERNATE TITLES:
OTHER: Animated

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Jul 13, 2003
Ratings
11,673 21
Shahdaroba
www.dcauresource.com
Looks like the movie will be rated R, for "some violence", according to Film Ratings
Makes sense with someone like Jack the Ripper in the mix. I guess some scenes are showing a murder or two in gory detail. I thought maybe they were playing with lighting and shadow -- enough to give a PG-13 but I guess not.

WebMasterSage

Obey the Pecking Order.
Jun 17, 2015
Ratings
342 5
November 1st:
October 19th:
I think the most recent project Choi worked on was Batman and Harley Quinn.

EDIT:
DC All Access has interviews with the crew that worked on this movie from Comic-Con:

November 1st:
Cool. :) I'm a sucker for R Ratings so this is pretty much perfect.

November 6th:
http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/nycc-batman-gotham-by-gaslight-panel-shows-promise

Anthony Head is Victorian Alfred

Mod Note: Double Post merged.

Last edited by a moderator:

Otaku-sempai

Sep 10, 2010
Ratings
1,462 4
Lackawanna, NY
This article seems to have come out a month ago, though this is the first time I've seen it. Others have already revealed the casting of Anthony Head as the voice of Alfred. We've known for quite a while that the story needed to be expanded to make it an animated movie. Then there is this:
The film will partially adapt the original Gotham by Gaslight story and the sequel, Master of the Future, and contain a few surprises and additions.
I have not seen anything else that suggests that any elements from Master of the Future were used for this; does anyone know if this is accurate?

Last edited:

Otaku-sempai

Sep 10, 2010
Ratings
1,462 4
Lackawanna, NY
I wasn't sure if it had been mentioned anywhere what the next movie was going to be.
We found out around the same time that the news dropped about Gotham by Gaslight, but it has been a while since it has been discussed. After the new Suicide Squad story (not a sequel to Batman: Assault on Arkham) there's supposed to be a two-part adaptation revisiting The Death of Superman and Rise of the Supermen storylines.