"Batman Beyond: Season Three" DVD Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate and Comment on the "Batman Beyond: Season Three" DVD

• Total voters

Hades

First of all, there is no such thing as a "must buy" except in the case of essentials that one needs to exist. "Must buy" and "must have" is just marketing jargon. And people who get sucked into buying just because something is described as "must have" or "must own" are suckas.

And it's my fault for not being clearer earlier--I don't buy DVDs just for the extras. But the extras may influence my buying decision if they're worthwhile enough.

I rarely ever buy new because pre-owned DVDs are often more than half the cost of retail. And why buy when I can rent specific discs from season sets through Netflix? There are plenty of cartoon DVDs on the market that I'd like to see again just because it's been so long since I saw them, but that doesn't mean I want to own them.

From my observation and experience, a lot of people who have made DVD buying decisions based on nostalgic impulses have sometimes ended up regretting it for one reason or another.

But not having seen BBS3 yet, I didn't know how many decent episodes were in the set or if perhaps the quality waned in the last season as happened with other shows. I was on the road back then and out of touch--did the series have a decent finale, or was ROTJ the last hurrah?

I get what you mean. If it weren't for Transformers the Movie, I would probably be like you. :p

What I mean is, when I was a kid, I would rent the Transformers movie every few weeks, and then, when I finally got an allowance, and saved up to buy it, it was out of print, and no store had used copies for sale. So I only had to keep renting it when I wanted to watch it, until I found a bootleg copy at a comic convention that worked 1 freaking time. Fortunately, Rhino released the movie about 6 months later.

As for series, well, being that they rarely put a series on VHS, and if they did, it was always just random episode, and once a show left TV, that was practically it forever. I hated that, as I want to watch whatever when I want. Thus, I will forever buy every series and movie I like even if I only watch it once every 5 years. Just knowing that I can grab it at any time, choose from any episode at any time, brings joy in my eyes. Like The Simpsons for example. I haven't touched Seasons 3-5 since I first bought them, but they are sitting there on my shelf, ready for me to watch any time I feel like watching it, and that makes paying for them worth it.

Hanshotfirst1138

Morphinomenal!
I really don't see it. Truthfully, I think the look of BB and the rest of DCAU is about as far away from anime as you can get in a drama/adventure cartoon.

Uh, I don't know what you're getting at. The comics (duh), anime, and the Fleisher Superman short are obviously inspirations from the DCUA. All of the rough edges and slick art-deco vibe scream anime to me; not as much as something explicitly anime-esque as Avatar or Teen Titans, but I think that the influence of anime is prevelant on almost all of the DCAU. The somewhat bulky lines, the stylized world, the shadows, all of it seems to have drawn very heavily from Japanimation. Not that its all explicitly based on anime, but I see tons of the asthetic. Return of the Joker was helmed by TMS, one the world's premiere anime studios.

tjguitar

Ive never seen Batman Beyond but I watched the first season today and yesterday and it was great. All 3 seasons were basically blind buys, I like Batman, Superman, JL and JLU and figured I'd give it a shot...but some of the stuff bought for nostalgic reasons, I found were a waste, such as Robotech. Just doesn't do anything for me anymore.

Toddman

Hulk not good with words.
Uh, I don't know what you're getting at. The comics (duh), anime, and the Fleisher Superman short are obviously inspirations from the DCUA. All of the rough edges and slick art-deco vibe scream anime to me; not as much as something explicitly anime-esque as Avatar or Teen Titans, but I think that the influence of anime is prevelant on almost all of the DCAU. The somewhat bulky lines, the stylized world, the shadows, all of it seems to have drawn very heavily from Japanimation. Not that its all explicitly based on anime, but I see tons of the asthetic. Return of the Joker was helmed by TMS, one the world's premiere anime studios.

Well, I would never claim to be an anime aficionado, but the stylized backgrounds and the shadows aren't elements that are exclusive to anime or have an origin in anime as far as I know. And I don't think the art deco inspiration of the early DCAU has ever been attributed to an anime influence.

I agree with you though that there are some anime touches in the DCAU. Like you said anytime TMS provided the legwork, a passing resemblence to traditional Japanese animation was inevitable, particularly in the climax of ROTJ which was so reminiscent of Akira.

As a series, BB had some very subtle anime influences like the future-asian cityscape and the blurred bgs that were used so often:

10.jpg

But I don't think any of those subtle influences give the DCAU a "distinctly animeesque look." In my opinion, the streamlined figures, over-muscled physiques and lack of giant robots is still more of a departure from anime than a tribute.

Toddman

ShadowStar

Wow. This set has surpassed my expectations. I got it today from Amazon and have already watched nearly everything on it. Maybe it was the awesome feeling of seeing over half a dozen DCAU stories that I'd never caught before... I don't know. But it was fun. I haven't checked out the special features yet, but the packaging is beautiful and so are many of the episodes.

"Kings Ransom" and "Out of the Past" were real treats for me, as I'd only seen them once before (last year, when CN UK randomly started showing season 3 episodes that hadn't yet aired in the UK). Nice to see "Betrayal" again as well, and finally, for the first time, "Big Time" (though I liked "Betrayal" more). "Inqueling" was a bit of a let down given how great the previous Inque stories were, though maybe the impact was lost on me because I had read up on the episode before out of curiousity. Fantastic to see "The Call" for the first time in years; funny how that episode was all over the place in terms of quality, with some parts awesome, others repetitive and boring. "Speak No Evil" and "Curse of the Kobra" were bizarre... but the animation and music helped them a little. "Countdown" was a blast and "Untouchable" wasn't too bad. I did start watching "Unmasked", but I missed the last couple of minutes because I was interrupted; I'll catch it again tomorrow - ah, the beauty of DVDs.

All in all, this set is a definite step up from season two, but it still doesn't hold a candle to the classic first season.

Simpler Simon, which were the classic four episodes you alluded to in your post? Out of interest, did you mean "Kings Ransom", "Out of the Past" and both parts of "The Call"?

Simpler Simon

Always in Style
Simpler Simon, which were the classic four episodes you alluded to in your post? Out of interest, did you mean "Kings Ransom", "Out of the Past" and both parts of "The Call"?

Pretty much. Having gone through most of the set now, the remaining 9 are for the most part better than I remembered, but each still demonstrate notable flaws that detract from the episode (mostly in terms of story). The Call is a giant mess as well, but it's flaws don't detract from the spectacle. Maybe thats the difference.

ShadowStar

Yeah, "The Call part 2" had me in fits of laughter when Barda and Aquagirl were shown "one-eyed" because of the Starro-fish on their faces. (Where's the screenshot when you need it...)

I've now seen "Unmasked" and I actually didn't mind it too much, though it should have been MUCH better. But the murder/suicide sequences for the Kobra agents were quite daring, and they salvaged the ep. I really liked "Countdown" as well, but "Kings Ransom", "Out of the Past" and "The Call" are the unquestioned high points of the season. If only "Out of the Past" had been longer and we'd seen the RFG again after the season premiere.:sad: And the end of "The Call" was a little unclear... Batman accepted membership but remained a part timer, I assume, and what did Superman mean by the "More than you know" line? (Having seen "Epilogue" I automatically assumed from that quip that Supes is in on the knowledge of Terrys genetics, but that's probably just the fanboy in me:))

The special features were nice and concise, though the season 3 panel discussion was really more of a "What would have happened in season 4?" thing. No complaints about that, though. The interaction between the crew is always fun to watch; the "0-1" gag was hilarious!

Spider-Man

I haven't seen alot of these episodes in years and it was so cool to revisit them. There are even couple I don't remember seeing at all. It's great to have DVD-quality copies of some of my favorite episodes like Out of the Past and The Call. The extras are pretty nice, too. I even got a laugh watching some episodes in the French dub just to see how different they sound from the voice actors we're all used to listening to. There are some nice extras and I thought it was nicely done all around.

b.t.

In fact, I was reflecting on what a bizarre reversal it was in Big Time to have Macy playing the cold-as-ice terrorist crook while having perennial badguy actor Robert Patrick playing the weasely and nebbish desk jockey. Did somebody switch their sides at the audition?

that was andrea's idea, to cast them both against type.....in fact, for some reason, i had assumed robert WAS going to be playing the heavy and bill macy the weasel, and didn't realise andrea had cast counter-intuitively until we were actually in the recording studio, at which point i voiced my reservations....she said, "let's just rehearse it this way and if you still don't think it'll work, we'll ask them to swap roles when we record"....obviously, they both rocked it during rehearsal....

so, andrea 1, bruce 0...

Alex Weitzman

Got Opinions?
that was andrea's idea, to cast them both against type.....in fact, for some reason, i had assumed robert WAS going to be playing the heavy and bill macy the weasel, and didn't realise andrea had cast counter-intuitively until we were actually in the recording studio, at which point i voiced my reservations....she said, "let's just rehearse it this way and if you still don't think it'll work, we'll ask them to swap roles when we record"....obviously, they both rocked it during rehearsal....

so, andrea 1, bruce 0...

This brings up a question I've been wondering for a while: how'd you snag Macy back when you were casting for Where There's Smoke? He must have been coming right off of the publicity high of Fargo, for chrissakes.

Spotlight

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Man, I wish I got paid for every time someone on this forum said they believed that Warner Brothers Discovery was going to ax, erase or sell off the Looney Tunes franchise. I could retire tomorrow.
Why do so many adults with no kids get so hopping mad about the existence of preschool shows and blocks? "Grr! I hate Cartoonito and Mickey Mouse Fun House! How dare they make preschool shows!" I don't get it.
Did the forum drop the swear rule? I've seen serious high tier swears and adult terms.
Just 10 more days until part 2 of Invincible's second season. Let's go!!!
I love how The Naked Gun films list bit parts by their line of dialogue. I wish more films did that rather than generic "Guy 1", "Woman on street", etc.

Featured Posts