"Batman: Bad Blood" Feature Talkback (Spoilers)

"Batman: Bad Blood" - Rate the movie and join the discussions below!

• Total voters

Troy Troodon

Ok so we know she's going to be in the sequel to this film regarding this continuity in particular.

Bat-Fan Beyond

A lot of the DC animated movies that have come out in recent years have gotten quite a bit of criticism, especially the ones with Damian, but I have to say I really enjoy them. This one was no different. I thought it was good and I love how it ended with the Bat-Family altogether setting out into the night to fight crime, with Babs stepping out of the shadows to follow them. I think this was a great way to close the Batman & Son trilogy. I know supposedly there will be more, and I'm looking forward to The Justice League vs. The Teen Titans, but I have to admit that I really would like to see this run of continuity end with that film. Seems like fatigue is starting to set in and I think six connecting movies (Son of Batman, Batman vs. Robin, Batman: Bad Blood, as well as Justice League: War, Justice League: Throne of Atlantis, and Justice League vs. Teen Titans) are a good run, so maybe now should be the time for DC to start exploring other characters, and I don't just mean as guests of the Justice League. I just think it's time for something different. We're still getting the stand-alone adaptations, like the upcoming The Killing Joke, and hopefully we'll get more JL: Gods & Monsters, but I think as far as continuity goes between the Batman and Justice League features, it's time for a change -- a new style, new designs, new voice actors, new characters, a new continuity altogether.

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
I thought Son of Batman and Batman vs. Robin were both a lot better, the problematic ending of Batman vs. Robin notwithstanding.

beyond94

batgirl-burnside-bad-blood-166356.jpg

Hopefully in next years Batman animated film actress Bella Thorne will voice Batgirl. It would be intersting to hear her voice interacting with the cast especially Stuart Allan's Robin.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Better than doing the same thing over and over in order.

Batwoman predates Batgirl even by modern standards.

Batwoman debuted in 1956 while Batgirl in 1961 or 2. The modern Batwoman was 2006. The Batgirl of Burnside version was 2014 wasn't it?

Heck, even with Batwing, talking about first appearances he technically first appeared in the early 70s.

Troy Troodon

Batwoman debuted in 1956 while Batgirl in 1961 or 2. The modern Batwoman was 2006. The Batgirl of Burnside version was 2014 wasn't it?

Heck, even with Batwing, talking about first appearances he technically first appeared in the early 70s.

You know, your right on point there.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
I'll probably post a more detailed review eventually, but in short I liked the movie. The story was pretty great, with some decent characterizations and a few unexpected twists along the way. I agree Batwing could have been fleshed out some more but I still thought he was a pretty cool addition to the movie. Batwoman on the other hand was handled fine as far as I'm concerned. Or at least I couldn't see anything wrong with her portrayal here and enjoyed her story-arc for the most part.

The villains were fine, though the way the Heretic was built-up to be the big bad and got killed relatively early was pretty anti-climatic. The other minor villains weren't the most interesting but they did deliver some good scenes. The action scenes were all pretty awesome though some were a little too unnecessarily violent. But there were a few good laughs as well, like the way Hellhound got taken out.

Dick Grayson taking on the mantle of Batman for this movie was fun. I actually wouldn't have minded if he got more chances to impersonate his mentor. It was pretty obvious Bruce Wayne was alive and would eventually return though. But the mind-control twist was a nice bonus.

All in all, I enjoyed the movie and liked the new characters. The Batgirl cameo at the end was just the icing on the cake for me. Pretty cool design, too. Looking forward to her being formally introduced in this new continuity.

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
The World's Finest has published its review of the Batman: Bad Blood animated feature. Click on the image below to check it out.

Further coverage of the title is forthcoming.

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter

Was the Batwing in the 70s Lucas Fox?

I'm not sure what @Yojimbo means about Batwing first appearing in the 70's. Batwing first appeared as a different unrelated to Luke Fox character as a member of Batman Incorporated in 2011. As far as my knowledge, Luke Fox wasn't conceived until 2013 where he become a different Batwing. Lucius Fox, his father, first appeared in 1979. I don't recall any other character by the moniker of Batwong before or any earlier appearances by Luke Fox, and I can't find anything on the net. But I could sure as hell be wrong and if anybody's got more info one way or the other jump in please.

As for Batwoman circa 2006, she's basically an in name only retool of the 1950's character, but yes, she definitely predated Batgirl and was pretty prominent in those old books, so I actually like her appearing pre Barbara. Damien pre Jason and Tim though, not so much.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Batwing technically first appeared in the early 70s?
Batman #250 "The Batman Nobody Knows," in a hypothetical sequence, by a child. Bruce took these 3 inner city boys camping and they each shared their take on Batman. One was Batwing (Batwings at the time I think). Sort of like "Legends of the Dark Knight" on The New Batman Adventures. Could have been an influence on that episode maybe.

Spider-Man

I would definitely like to see Batgirl show up in the next instalment of the solo Batman movies if they continue with this continuity. I also like that they picked the "Burnside" costume as that feels more right than her coming out in the New 52 armor she had. We'll have to wait and see I guess but it was a very cool surprise. I was lucky enough not to have it spoiled by pretty much every fan and news outlet just a few hours after the movie was on iTunes.

And with this movie ending the Talia thread for now, I hope, maybe the next one will focus more on Batman and other members of the cast and put Damian in the back seat. I really like Damian's character but these three movies have really focused on him more than any other character and that seems to be the same for the JL VS TT movie, so I'd like to see that change. Keep him in there but put him in a supporting role.

Just rewatched this alongside "Son" and "Vs". Still don't think they're good, but I usually watch things I want to like that I don't until I find something to enjoy. Sorta like some crazy self brain-washing. These films really aren't about Batman, and since this continuity doesn't look to be leaving us anytime soon, I think it would be interesting if the next film was either a very loose interpretation of the Batman Incorporated concept, or that it would be set it up for the fifth film. They could have a lot of fun with that concept and introduce a ton of Bat people without developing them and leave Batman to the backburner, and (though I'm 98% believe they won't) kill off Damien in the end. Plus Batman, Incorporated is such on off the wall title and concept that it sounds like it would drum up some sales.

EDIT: To whomever moved this to the proper thread, thank you! When I realized I posted in the wrong place I kept trying to delete the post and kept being told I did not have permission to do that. Sorry for the trouble, honest mistake

Last edited:

Luke Cage

Seems like all of the recent batman movies find a way to sabatoge themselves. Son of Batman gave Damian mutant healing powers. In this one, we get way too much uninteresting backstory on Batwoman and Batwing which killed the pacing for me.

I would rather have seen the Nightwing/Damian duo building a relationship while doing some real detective work to find Bruce. Instead we saw that just about anybody who puts on a bat costume becomes unstoppable. (Batwoman puts on a cowl and goes toe-to-toe with Talia. Really?)

Hopefully the next effort will focus on fewer than 5 main chracters, and tell a compelling story. If they want to introduce Barbara as Batgirl, make the whole movie center around that. Don't force feed backstories for Catwoman, Tim Drake, Cassandra Cain, and Batmite.

Despite the story faults, I still loved the action sequences, voice acting and designs. 3 stars

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Instead we saw that just about anybody who puts on a bat costume becomes unstoppable. (Batwoman puts on a cowl and goes toe-to-toe with Talia. Really?)
They both had military training. Fox served. Kane may have washed out but after the encounter, started training. Both had tragedy. Both wanted didn't want to be on the sidelines of a war. If that's not the recipe for an ally of Batman, I don't know what is.

If they want to introduce Barbara as Batgirl, make the whole movie center around that.
It was just a bonus for fans. It's silly to think of her cameo as a negative.

It's likely she will get a proper feature in an upcoming movie. Batwoman and Lucius had a cameo in Batman vs. Robin after all.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

WBD announces a Meerkat Manor animated film. In other news, the world suddenly remembers Meerkat Manor exists.
Today marks the 5th Year Anniversary of when the HD Double Pack of Final Fantasy X & X-2 was released on the Nintendo Switch in North America. It was nice to be able to play my favorite Final Fantasy game on a Nintendo system.
Alex Dudley's DToons YouTube channel is back after being hacked a couple of weeks ago. Good news.

Take a look at these cool posters.

Rebecca and Ian are LEGENDS!
If you want an example of what truly all-ages animation is, I can't think of a better recent example than Bluey's "The Sign". I have more to say, but you'll be hearing from me again ;)

Featured Posts