"Batman '66 (2013 Ongoing)" Series Talkback (Spoilers)

"Batman '66" - Rate and Comment on this DC Comics title!

• ****1/2

Votes: 0 0.0%

• ***1/2

• **1/2

• *1/2

• 1/2

• Total voters

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Holy resurrection, Batman! The 1960s live-action Batman TV series returns as an all-new monthly title from DC Comics!

BATMAN '66 #1

BATMAN%20%2766%20%231%20CoverLR.jpg

WRITER: Jeff Parker
ARTIST: Jonathan Case

Put on your go-go boots and get ready to "Batusi" back to the Swingin' 60s as DC Comics reimagines the classic Batman TV series in comics form for the first time! These all-new stories portray The Caped Crusader, The Boy Wonder and their fiendish rogues gallery just the way viewers remember them. In this first adventure, The Riddler's out to steal some valuable artwork from under the noses of Gotham's police. But Batman gets help from an unlikely source: a certain femme fatale dressed in feline finery!

Comments? Batman is back! What are your thoughts?

Related Discussion:

-Batman: The 1960s Classic TV Series Talkback (Spoilers)
-Batman: The Complete Television Series Blu-ray/DVD/Digital Talkback (Spoilers)
-Batman: The 1966 Movie Feature Talkback (Spoilers)
-Wonder Woman '77 (2015 Ongoing) Series Talkback (Spoilers)

rggkjg1

KRYPTONITE NEVERMORE!
Recap: When we last left the Dynamic Duo, Batman introduces the world's newest dance craze! Batman and Robin, turned into toads?! HOLY CATCHPHRASE! An unlikely alliance with the Green Hornet! Aunt Harriet gets a dance of her own! Batman and the Joker hang ten! Alfred entrusted to Batgirl's secret! Batman and the Riddler square off in the ring! Batgirl, paid less than Robin?!

47 years later, will Batman's exciting adventures contine to endure and entertain? Don't skip all the way to the last page ladies and gentlemen! The best is yet to come!!!

Comments?

As I expected, GENUIS! This debut issue delivered and then some! For some reason I was really surprised that current/modern/established elements to the Batman mythos would be incorporated into this series. I guess I was more caught up in the simple fact that I was getting Adam West Batman comics. Inside the Batcave, Bruce and Dick work with their respective masks off. Batman look's up the Riddler's file on the Batcomputer, and behold: Edward Nigma's file shows up. The villians' REAL NAMES and I assume REAL/PREVIOUS personalities before becoming a villian are used. That excites me the most. Then we get to Catwoman, she reminded me of the current "anti-hero" Catwoman we've all been used to as Batman teams up with her and let's her slip away. Obviously, I cant see any romantic interest stuff happen here between Catwoman and Batman. But maybe SELINA KYLE and Bruce Wayne. Although, I dont know how that would work since Catwoman was seen MANY MANY times without her mask. In this possible situtation I can see Bruce going along to protect his Batman identity since BATMAN would never see her socially. Bruce would have to have some reluctance of course (simliar to Bruce and Selina's first date back in "Hush").

My main gripe right now is that this debut issue didnt follow the forumla. Why didnt the issue start with the villian comitting the crime. Comissioner Gordon and O'Hara discussing the villian's crime and their return to Gotham? Gordon calls Batman, Bruce and Dick social hour getting interrupted by the Batphone? And so on and so on. I guess the idea here is to do self contained one issue stories, but I would love to see at least 2 issue arcs here and there that utilizes the formula and part one ending on a cliff hanger (NEXT BAT-MONTH! SAME BAT-WEEK!). Next month is Killer Croc, who we never saw on the TV show. If we get origin stories for previous unseen characters, I think the formula would also be a good way to tell particular origin story.

As I expected, the BEST Batman comic out right now and in years.

Villano

I love this series. It's nice to see DC actually putting out a comic that's fun. My only complaint is that they couldn't get the rights to some of the actors, Alfred and Commissioner Gordon being the most obvious. I heard that they might not have Yvonne Craig's, but I don't know if that's true. I hope it's not because it might look a little weird with a generic Batgirl.

Also, the problems I had with the panel progression (with the balloons and sound effects appearing) seem to have been fixed with the 2nd issue (at least there weren't any problems for me).

Hopefully, the sales will be here to support this title (the digital first Ame-Comi Girls and Arrow series have both been cancelled).

rggkjg1

KRYPTONITE NEVERMORE!
Hmmm. I wont mind having a tweaked/altered Batgirl if they cant do Yvonne Craig's likeness. In that situation, I want her to legitimately have long red hair and not have to wear a wig. Hopefully they can use the same costume though.

rggkjg1

KRYPTONITE NEVERMORE!
Alrighty, issue number 2 will introduce Killer Croc. Does anyone have any predictions/theories on what he'll look like before we officially see him? I only do the print issues, so I'll have no idea if his digital appearance is already available. I wonder if a picture of him will even get out after his print appearance. Anyway, I think the Adam West Killer Croc will look similar to the famous Gorn from Star Trek '66. I'm sure they would have also just reused/recycled the actual Gorn costume if given the chance to do the character for TV.

zoombie

I like to see have the Julie Newmar Catwoman and the Eartha Kitt Catwoman be seperate characters. I always thought with the persoality change from someone that had some humanity and comparisson and feelings for Batman, to someone that just a regular villain. In my head canon, after season two the original Catwoman MIA, and someone took that monicur in her absence.

I_Spyral

Moonrider
I only read the first issue, but this was just the best damn thing ever.

Villano

Alrighty, issue number 2 will introduce Killer Croc. Does anyone have any predictions/theories on what he'll look like before we officially see him? I only do the print issues, so I'll have no idea if his digital appearance is already available. I wonder if a picture of him will even get out after his print appearance. Anyway, I think the Adam West Killer Croc will look similar to the famous Gorn from Star Trek '66. I'm sure they would have also just reused/recycled the actual Gorn costume if given the chance to do the character for TV.

DC is following the format from the Ame-Comi line: Digitally, the issues are shorter and come out weekly. They then collect 4 (I think) digital issues for 1 print comic. So, that's going to lead to some confusion when people are talking about issue numbers (issue #6 digitally will just be a part of #2 in print).

So, Croc probably won't appear until next month or so. My guess is that they'll go for classic Croc as a human with a skin condition. I wouldn't be surprised if they have him working in the freak show at Robin's old circus so they can explore some of Robin's past. At least that's what I'd do. :)

dth1971

Will future issues of BATMAN 1966 feature these Batman villians in the BATMAN 66 era?: Harley Quinn, Poison Ivy, Scarecrow, Two Face, Clay Face, and Calendar Man? I also would like to see in BATMAN 1966 villians that appeared in the Filmation 1960's and 1970's Batman cartoons like Simon the Pieman and Sweettooth. How about during a climbing the wall building scene an appearance by Bugs Bunny?

Villano

Will future issues of BATMAN 1966 feature these Batman villians in the BATMAN 66 era?: Harley Quinn, Poison Ivy, Scarecrow, Two Face, Clay Face, and Calendar Man? I also would like to see in BATMAN 1966 villians that appeared in the Filmation 1960's and 1970's Batman cartoons like Simon the Pieman and Sweettooth. How about during a climbing the wall building scene an appearance by Bugs Bunny?

The creators are trying to stick to the style of the TV show, so we definitely won't see cartoon characters popping up. However, I do know that they plan on doing '60s version of modern villains and I'm 99% sure that Two Face was mentioned as one. The only one on your list I'd be unsure of is Clayface because his powers might seem a bit too extreme for this comic (unless they plan on using the original Basil Karlo version - a guy in a scary mask).

hobbyfan

This was a fun read, but overpriced at $3.99 per issue. FWIW, the other digital first books (Ame-Comi Girls & Arrow) have been cancelled, so don't expect this to have a longer lifespan on the shelf.

Road to Gotham

Legends of the Dark Knight #13 is also listed as the last issue.
Enjoyed the 1st issue of BATMAN 66. Story was very good, art not so good. Maybe it was the printing.
It seem a little blurry.
I read somewhere that CHANTEL is going to return. Maybe he will try to rekindle his romance with Aunt Harriet.

Villano

Legends of the Dark Knight #13 is also listed as the last issue.
Enjoyed the 1st issue of BATMAN 66. Story was very good, art not so good. Maybe it was the printing.
It seem a little blurry.
I read somewhere that CHANTEL is going to return. Maybe he will try to rekindle his romance with Aunt Harriet.

Wait, the first issue of Batman '66 is out in print already? Do you know how many digital issues it collects? Is it just the one completed Riddler/Catwoman arc (the first 3 digital issues) or does it include any part of the Penguin/Mr. Freeze arc, too?

As to the art, go the Comixology page here: Batman '66 Digital Comics - Comics by comiXology and then click on cover of the issues. After it takes you to that particular issue, click the cover again and you get a sneak peak at the art. You should then be able to tell if it's the art or the printing.

BTW, Legends of the Dark Knight is still going to continue digitally. They are apparently just skipping the monthlies and going straight to trades when printing. Also, Arrow is coming back when the show returns as "Arrow Season 2". Again, I'm assuming that it'll go straight to trades. I actually think that's a pretty good idea with the digital books. I'd imagine something like Batman '66 will do better in collected form in a bookstore than monthlies in a comic shop.

Road to Gotham

The first print issue collects only The RIDDLER-CATWOMAN story.
PENGUIN and MR. FREEZE story will be in the 2nd issue.

rggkjg1

KRYPTONITE NEVERMORE!
Gotham's coolest villains battle the Dynamic Duo!

BATMAN '66 #2

WRITER: Jeff Parker
ARTIST: Ty Templeton

It's the middle of summer, so why is an iceberg blocking Gotham harbor? Aided by his new accomplice, Mr. Freeze, the Penguin floats in on a giant iceberg that he declares to be a soverign nation. Now, in order for ships to pass and commerce to continue, everyone is going to have to pay a toll to "Emperor Penguin." Will the beaked criminal really be able to use diplomatic immunity to pull off this pernicious piracy?

Comments?

Batman '66 is released digitally first and can be read/downloaded here at Comixology:
Batman '66 Digital Comics - Comics by comiXology

Last edited by a moderator:

rggkjg1

KRYPTONITE NEVERMORE!
I am disappointed to say that Killer Croc did not appear in this issue as originally planned. Sad? DON'T BE! Penguin's submarine, the exploding shark, and surfing Batman return for this issue! Not to mention a cameo from the silver age Bat-Woman!

Villano

Did the print issue #2 only contain the Mr. Freeze/Penguin story or did it also include the Chandell and Siren team-up (from digital issue #6)?

I have to admit I was a little disappointed in the Freeze/Penguin one. First, a minor nitpick, but the UN doesn't exist in the TV Batman world. It's the United World there. Secondly, I know that they are mixing the appearances of the villains so that Catwoman might be Julie Newmar in one issue but Ertha Kitt in another. That's cool and I have no problem with that. The thing is, I'd hoped that they'd keep their personality consistent with the actors who portrayed them. Mr. Freeze was played by 3 actors, George Sanders (my favorite), Otto Preminger (my least favorite), and Eli Wallach. They went with the Preminger appearance, but gave him Sander's personality. Preminger was the one who would seem to be constantly amused and shout, "Wild!" a lot (which gets old really fast, btw). Sanders was cooler (no pun intended) and polite. I'm not sure why they swapped the personality unless they could only get the rights to Preminger's appearance.

The Chandell and Siren story was great. The art team from the first issue returned and this time without the annoying color quirks from the first arc.

On the downside, they seem to totally eliminated the unique panel progress they had before where word balloons and effects appeared as the action transitioned. It was overused in the first arc, but I wish they kept it for the sound effects. Have the "Pows" and "Bams" appear after someone is hit really made it feel like the TV show.

rggkjg1

KRYPTONITE NEVERMORE!
The print issue of #2 includes both the Penguin/Mr Freeze story and Chandell/Siren story. I was really surprised that I got TWO stories in one issue. I hope that will be the format for most (or every) print issue from now on.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Alex Dudley's DToons YouTube channel is back after being hacked a couple of weeks ago. Good news.

Take a look at these cool posters.

Rebecca and Ian are LEGENDS!
If you want an example of what truly all-ages animation is, I can't think of a better recent example than Bluey's "The Sign". I have more to say, but you'll be hearing from me again ;)
aegisrawks wrote on Light Lucario's profile.
I loved your post in that Nick thread. I really dislike Nick's mentality of "It didnt outdo the Super Bowl, CANCEL IT NAO" and I am so glad you agree, even if you are more realistic and more wise.
It seems evidently that, despite being completed, ''Walpurgisnacht Rising'' hasn't been released yet. What do you think?

Featured Posts