"Batman (2011 Ongoing)" Series Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate and Comment - "Batman"

• ***1/2

Votes: 0 0.0%

• **1/2

• *1/2

• 1/2

• Total voters

Jin Kazama

Hawkguy
Staff member
I really loved this issue. It reminded me a bit of the Batman comics of a few years back that focused more on the world around Batman instead of just him and his sidekicks, around the time of No Man's Land and it's aftermath. I've always felt that they add a lot to the mythos of Batman by showing how the world views him as opposed to just a story about him.

Cloonan's art worked so well, also. Capullo's art was never that hyper-detailed anyway, so this kind of matched that style while still having it's own take. I don't think she'd be a good fit for a more "guy in spandex" type of issue, but for one of this tone, I think she did a fantastic job.

An amazing issue that provided a nice breather between major storylines.

VictoryStar

"Here is your first present~"
I loved Batman 12, we got to see how Gotham is through a normal resident and not one of the Bat family and the lives they have to go through. I really love Harper Row and I can't wait to see more of her in Snyder's Bat stories as time goes on. I just hope she wasn't made to be the one killed off in the Death of the Family story next month and gets a big role later on (she seems like she could be a good candidate for a Oracle like character) But I guess we'll have to wait and see.

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Discover the origins of The New 52!

BATMAN #0

Written by SCOTT SNYDER
Backup story written by SCOTT SNYDER and JAMES TYNION IV
Art by GREG CAPULLO and JONATHAN GLAPION
Backup story art by ANDY CLARKE

-Bruce Wayne has returned from his worldwide quest to take the law into his own hands!
-This issue reveals the early steps of building everything that surrounds Batman - the costume, the cave, the car, the gadgets!

Comments?

Astrolupine

Man on the wing.
While we have enough Bat-flashback stories already and I prefer the idea of one single Red Hood (or according to Killing Joke, the hood being passed around), it was an okay (if very brief) issue after last month's filler. It'd be interesting if this tale is a fair lead-in to Death Of The Family. Andy Clarke's backup I preferred over the A-story, although I still don't buy this 'compressed five years' nonsense.

Azrayel

Maybe I didn't see if there were differnt time periods listed, but did it show at the pictures toward the end that jason, dick, and tim the same age?

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
The Joker has returned ...

BATMAN #13

Written by SCOTT SNYDER
Backup story art by ANDY CLARKE

• The Joker returns in “DEATH OF THE FAMILY”!
• He crippled Batgirl. He killed Robin. What will The Joker do now that he’s returned to Gotham City?
• What must Batman do to protect his secret identity and that of those who fight alongside him?

Comments?

Astrolupine

Man on the wing.
I wasn't a fan of how Snyder wrote the Joker in 'The Black Mirror', so pardon me for been a bit cautious before reading.

But upon finishing the issue, it's a great surprise how the clown prince is still written as spine-chilling while Snyder keeps him in the shadows. His new look is quite interesting, but it'll make more of an impact when we see it up close in future issues. (Scariest Joker for me? Dave McKean's in Arkham Asylum.) I also dug the callbacks to Batman #1 (vol. 1, that is). A very good start to a sure-to-be interesting arc.

And no, I don't think Alfred will die. Warner Bros. would have DC resurrect him straight away, anyway.

Bat Bruce

Oh this is not going to end well. I don't care how expensive it will be, make Batman a weekly, I can't wait months at a time!!

And stay away from Alfred I've already suffered what his fate will be once this year!

Spider-Man

This book was fantastic! It deserves all the acclaim its getting! The pace, the tension, how downright creepy the Joker was, this issue hit everything right. The cliffhanger is great, too! Sure, Alfred's not going to die or anything, but the implications for what it means is huge! Plus the Joker does look very creepy with his new face. Absolutely loved this issue. Probably the best superhero comic of the week.

VictoryStar

The 0 issue was good, was kind of sad it was supposed to be standalone and ended in a cliffhanger though. But it was still a good issue despite that.

Batman #13 on the otherhand was amazing <3 I could tell most of it was just set up and such for the other comics in the event but what we still got was still amazing and very haunting too. Can't wait to get the next issue and see where the cliffhanger leads! (Btw Batman revealed his identity to you know who in Morrison's run so I hope no one was surprised by it.)

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
"Death of the Family" continues...

BATMAN #14

Written by SCOTT SNYDER
Backup story art by JOCK

• The Joker is back and somehow more sinister than ever! What caused this change? And can even Batman stop a Joker so driven and dangerous?
• And where is Alfred?
• Plus: In the backup feature, The Penguin is running out of options as he’s confronted by The Joker!

Comments?

Astrolupine

Man on the wing.
Egad, this storyline gets even more intense (exciting, too!). I'm glad Alfred isn't dead (yet, mainly because offing him this early would make less impact) but I'm curious of the direction the books would go if he were permanently blinded. The mechanic look on Joker is a nice little change if you've gotten tired of the old purple/green tuxedo in recent years and his exposition is nice but over-rambling to the reader. But what's up with his Cobra Commander speak?

Backup was alright if short. I don't get the praise for Jock's art.

VictoryStar

That was an awesome issue! I love Joker's plan slowly being revealed here and the revelation that he not only knows Batman's identity but the rest of the family also. The story started out slow but it's picking up really fast and I know it's going to get even better next month.

I can't wait to see Batman and the rest of the family meet up in the next issue (including Red Hood!) and discuss how they're going to deal with the Joker. It's really exciting just thinking about it!

Can't wait for next month's issue.

Wonderwall

Staff member
Joker knows who Batman is? Not quite sure I can get on board with that.

Wonderwall

Staff member
That's not really helping and one of the reasons why I can't get on board with it. Even if they don't I'm not sure there's really anywhere interesting they can go with Joker knowing that knowledge.

Shawn Hopkins

TZ Member of the Year 2013
The Joker has known Batman is Bruce Wayne for decades. He just didn't care. His attitude about it is best summed up in Arkham Asylum, when the inmates want to see Batman's real face and the Joker says "that is his real face!" I think there's also a scene where he sees Bruce as Bruce and thinks it's hysterical. And if you want something more recent he's around while Batman is unmasked during R.I.P. and hears someone call him Bruce.

Wonderwall

Staff member
Him knowing is nothing new but like you said he just doesn't care. I don't have a problem with that. Just seems odd that they're writing him here to actually care enough to make something of it. At least that's the impression I'm getting.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.

Featured Posts