Bakugan: Battle Planet (Discussions)

Terror of Death

Very disappointed in how this turned out. The initial images from 2015 made me believe they were going the same route as Hasbro with the 2011 Kaijudo reboot. Boy, was I wrong. It doesn’t hold a candle to that series or even the one it's based on. I tried giving it a chance but had to stop after the first 5 (10?) episodes. There's three main reasons why it worse than the old seasons.

1. Most of the Bakugan have no personality. The Bakugan in the old series didn't have tons of depth but at least they had some backstory and you often got to see them interact with their owners and the other bakugan in the none battle scenes. Due to the 11 minute format the writers spend more time on the gags, moral lesson of the day, and battles. They talk so little they may have well just made them communicate through roars. I feel really bad for Dragos voice actor since they brought him back and he has very little to do compared to the original series.

2. Subpar voice acting and localization. The old series had this too but it stands out more in this one. A lot of the voices don't match the characters and the actors seem like they little range or only had time to do one take. There's often awkward pauses in the middle of sentences because their trying to match the lines to the opening and closing of the characters mouths. It's also apparent the dub writers are adding more jokes and simplifying the dialogue with how random some of the lines are. I could be wrong but it's either Man of Actions fault or some new directors and writers.

3. Feels like it's aiming for a lower target demographic. The overt moral lessons, the kids being obsessed with making viral videos, calling themselves the "Awesome Ones" and all the problems being solved by the end of the episode. Seasons 2-4 of the original series actually had deaths, tragic backstories and the villains and heroes actually waging war with one another. It wasn't the most mature toyetic anime but it had some stuff to keep older viewers more engaged. Similar to post Disney seasons of power rangers there's little effort and no "edge."

Two minor gripes: lens flare during battles and whitewashing Dan. I like lens flare but its best used sparingly. Also, they should have kept Dan Japanese or made him half Japanese like the protagonist of the Kaijudo reboot. The new Shun seems like he would be the caucasian one in the group since he looks nothing like the original Shun.

LinusFan303

A fan of Peanuts in their 70th year
Ah season 1 was 50 episodes like how Beyblade's seasons usually are, interesting.

Takao

Fight the darkness all around
The show has officially been renewed for a 104 x 11-minute second season:

Given the success of the brand, Spin Master, TMS Entertainment and Nelvana have greenlit the second season Bakugan: Armored Alliance (104 x 11 min) and it is now in production, set to launch in 2020.

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
I'm genuinely shocked with the way CN has treated it. Maybe the toys sold well enough, or the show simply did way better overseas.

Reactions: RDG

Takao

Armored Alliance debuted earlier this month here and it'll hit CN in the U.S. on March 1st at 6:30AM.

Last edited:

FTPC

Could Disney X D use
Bakugan:
and all their season on their channel
that would led to two hours of anime on the channel,

bayblade
yu kai watch
Poke'mon
and now
Bakugan:

Takao

The Bakugan reboot is co-produced by Cartoon Network. At the moment, first-run episodes are unlikely to wind up anywhere else.

Disney no longer has new Pokemon episodes. Yo-Kai Watch is MIA and might not return.

Reactions: RDG

Spotlight

Sponsored Ads

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

going to draw Merman!Kahoot later today, if I have the time
Tomorrow, I'm starting the Christmas edition of Media Brackets.

happy thanksgiving and stay safe
Happy Spanksgiving! I love giving Spanks! I've got a hankering for some spankering!