Latest News & Videos

Peter Paltridge

Too Hip For Spielberg
Staff member
Sep 24, 2003
Stars Hollow
www.platypuscomix.net
Over the holiday, the Japanese trailer for the Sonic the Hedgehog movie was released overseas. Foreign trailers are cut by different people and tend to reveal things the American promo campaign didn’t plan to.
The Japanese trailer starts out with a scene we’ve seen before, depicting what is obviously Green Hill Zone from Sonic’s original game, and a blue blur speeding around, looping the loops, and collecting floating rings. Then he stops and….it’s Sonic, but not the version we all know. He’s a baby, and he has a flower for you!

We never find out who the flower is for (guess we’ll have to buy a ticket for the answer to that one) but it’s Baby Sonic and he’s adorable, and Sega knows it, because the trailer also includes a pitch for merch of him.
The timing really couldn’t have been better for Paramount or Sega, given the instant celebrity bestowed upon another “baby” version of an iconic character (even if The Mandalorian’s “Child” isn’t specifically Yoda). And yes, a...
Continue reading...

JoeMabbon

Private
Aug 8, 2014
Iacon
Yeah, a “coincidence.” Because this production has never gone back and reworked itself to cravenly appeal to the audience.

AdrenalineRush1996

May 13, 2016
Yeah, a “coincidence.” Because this production has never gone back and reworked itself to cravenly appeal to the audience.
Well, at least I hope Sonic the Hedgehog doesn't suffer the same fate as Cats (second trailer better received than first trailer but film becomes a critical and box office disaster).

Pooky

Jul 14, 2010
UK
There was a Baby Sonic toy listed before or around the time of the first trailer, so I think it was always part of the plot

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

If Flintstones = Grand Dad, what does Yogi Bear equal? Grand Bear?
It took me all day and most of the month, but I finally got my 2 laptops upgraded (SSD, new RAM, replaced any and all broken parts, full cleanup of useless programs and salvaging useful ones). It was rough work, but I enjoyed every minute of it!

Someday, I'm gonna do this for a living, honestly.
Asa
What is with Nickelodeon US refusing to air the Pineapple RV episode of SpongeBob? It's already been aired in some countries, how come America didn't get it yet?
Tex Avery's MGM Cartoons are finally getting a blu-ray release after years of us waiting, at last!
#RIPKobe, Gigi, and the others in the helicopter.