B:TAS "What Is Reality?" Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate "What Is Reality?"

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • ****1/2

Votes: 7 29.2%

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • ***1/2

Votes: 1 4.2%

• **1/2

Votes: 2 8.3%

• *1/2

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1/2

• Total voters

The Penguin

Mod of Fowl Play
Staff member
Tonight at 2:30 a.m. ET Cartoon Network airs the Batman: The Animated Series episode, What Is Reality?.

00r.jpg
Episode #048 - What Is Reality?
Original Airdate - November 24th, 1992.

Seeking to prove once and for all that his is the superior mind, the Riddler lures Batman into a riddle-solving contest inside a computer game of virtual reality. In the course of solving the riddles and escaping the Riddler's traps, Batman learns that he is able to manipulate the virtual reality landscape much like the Riddler does.

Are your comments really here? :p

JTurner954

Paradigm City, USA
This is my #3 favorite episode. Riddler shines yet again though I did not like the outcome in the end (possible excuse not to have many Riddler episodes?). Everything else is just fantastic. 5 stars.

My second favorite episode has not aired yet. And get this: It has nothing to do with The Riddler (the third Riddler episode is my #4 favorite). Anyone care to take a guess at what my #2 pick is?

TheScarecrow

The Master Of Fear
Episodes like this are the reason I love the BTAS version of the Riddler. John Clover plays him brilliantly, and the character pushes Batman to his limits intellectually and become a joy to watch unfold. I wish this premise would've been utilized in Batman Forever... hell, I wish the Riddler would've been written as well in BF as BTAS does... period.

****1/2

I can also see why Riddler wasn't used as often (and TNBA never really used him at all). He is a hard character to write for, and I can see why Batman writers of all forms either don't use him at all, or reduce him to a bit player. A shame really.

Jedigreedo

Chill. It's only an opinion.
Pretty enjoyable episode, it had a few inconsistency problems though but overall enjoyable. I really liked this version of Riddler. Anyone else thinking the Batlink line from Batman Beyond could've been inspired by this episode?

The Detective

This is a good episode. One of the best Riddler episodes. They took a hard character, and really did some great episodes with him.

Condiment King

custom user title
****1/2

This is my favorite Riddler episode and "Riddler's Reform" comes in a close second. I just loved the B:TAS Riddler and how he was protrayed and it really is a letdown to see a one episode appearance in TNBA and below average B:GA issues about him....... :(

MILatino

=/\=
**½

Too techno and sci-fi. If you hooked me up to virtual reality, I certainly know the difference between it and reality. There was no excuse for the Commissioner not to simply remove his helmet.

The "Riddler's Reform" is a much better Riddler episode even though it still conjures up the same question I have of Riddler and Batman's other rogues. If they're strapped for cash, who's supplying them with all their personalized gadgets?

murmur

Loud whispers
Originally posted by Jedigreedo
Anyone else thinking the Batlink line from Batman Beyond could've been inspired by this episode?
Huh? Specify...I'm curious about what you mean...

Jedigreedo

Chill. It's only an opinion.
Re: Re: B:TAS "What Is Reality?" Talkback (Spoilers)

Originally posted by MILatino
There was no excuse for the Commissioner not to simply remove his helmet.

I think it was that the Riddler had made the connection stronger than just an adverage connection (explaining why he was a vegetable in reality), and he had a firm grasp on Gordon's mind. Only until the Riddler started losing control did Gordon recover, and look at how put-out he was after they got the helmet off and such.

tarheelmed02

Yes...I agree totally. One of the best BTAS eps ever. I liked the Riddler. He really gives Bats a working brainwise. I liked the part where he was knighted and turned with that gnarly looking BAT. That was awesome.

Also, that last riddle that led them to Riddler...If the world's fair, I'd still have my old job...thought that was pretty clever. anyway, really good ep.

DVD let me view this episode! Aw, man! I haven't seen this episode in years!

Robin proves his mettle in this story. I liked how he helped Batman out.

The ending doesn't make any sense though. If Riddler got traped in his virtual world,(and Batman said getting him out may be a riddle no one can solve) then how could he reappear fit as a fiddle(though nutty as a fruitcake) in Riddler's Reform?

Batman Fan

Batarang Attack
I really like this episode because of the plot. Batman and Robin inside a computer game is so cool. Loved seeing the Riddler again. I think Riddler episodes are so amazing because of their individuality and you don't need Batman beating up the Joker to have a good episode. I really enjoyed this episode but I still like "If You're So Smart, Why Aren't You Rich" better!

Originally posted by Carrieattheprom
The ending doesn't make any sense though. If Riddler got traped in his virtual world,(and Batman said getting him out may be a riddle no one can solve) then how could he reappear fit as a fiddle(though nutty as a fruitcake) in Riddler's Reform?
The ending confused me as well, but maybe uploaded himself into reality:rolleyes:

Harley Quinn

Batman Fan said:
.... and you don't need Batman beating up the Joker to have a good episode.
Batman beating up the Joker didn't make for a good episode. In fact, he did that way too much... And he does it even more in the comics. I mean, come on, the Joker's no heavyweight like Batman. He may be resiliant, but he's still a lanky guy. It's not fair.

Makes me sad.:sad:

How can you commit so much violence upon a face like this?:
joker.jpg

Awwwwwww lookit how cute.......

Award goes to me for de-railing the topic the most. :)

The Penguin

Mod of Fowl Play
Staff member
"What Is Reality?" aired last night

Last night at 12 midnight ET, Boomerang aired the Batman: The Animated Series episode, What Is Reality?. If you do not have Boomerang, you are encouraged to follow along on disc 3 of your Batman: The Animated Series, Vol. 2 DVD set.

00r.jpg
Episode #048 - What Is Reality?
Original Airdate - November 24th, 1992.

Seeking to prove once and for all that his is the superior mind, the Riddler lures Batman into a riddle-solving contest inside a computer game of virtual reality. In the course of solving the riddles and escaping the Riddler's traps, Batman learns that he is able to manipulate the virtual reality landscape much like the Riddler does.

Comments?

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.

Featured Posts