B:TAS "Day of the Samurai" Talkback (Spoilers)

• Enter to win two tickets to Whisper of the Heart. Details here.

Latest News & Videos

Rate "Day of the Samurai"

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • ****1/2

Votes: 13 31.7%

Votes: 11 26.8%
  • ***1/2

Votes: 3 7.3%

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • **1/2

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • *1/2

Votes: 2 4.9%

• 1/2

• Total voters

The Penguin

All Hail the King!
Staff member
Dec 20, 2001
South Dakota
twitter.com
Tonight at 2:30 a.m. ET Cartoon Network airs the Batman: The Animated Series episode, Day of the Samurai.

Episode #043 - Day of the Samurai
Original Airdate - February 23rd, 1993.

Kyodai Ken kidnaps the daughter of Yoru Sensei, the martial arts instructor who taught both Kyodai and Bruce. The Ninja's ransom for her is a scroll that teaches the location of the fabled Death Touch.

This is the night of the samurai, post your comments here. :p

TheScarecrow

The Master Of Fear
Nov 20, 2001
Arkham Asylum
Visit site
This was a great episode.

Kyodai Ken is an awesome bad guy that fits into Bruce's past quite nicely, and that finale was just awesome. Haven't seen it in years, but I still enjoy it a lot.

I mean how often did this series go to Japan? A nice change of pace from the mean dark streets of Gotham and lent a great atmosphere to the episode.

Yoru Sensei came off (to me at lest) that he guessed Bruce is Batman ("You can't hide a warriors spirit in that playboy image"), but didn't let on.

All and all, this episode gets ****1/2 from me.

JTurner954

Paradigm City, USA
Jan 4, 2002
Florida
Visit site
4 1/2 stars and proves yet again that there is no such thing as a bad Batman episode.

I liked this episode more than the one with Kyodai's debut. Extra points for the subtitled scenes (it seems like I am into the story more with subtitles). I always love watching episodes with a different villain from the usual batch since (as proven here with Kyodai's "exit") you don't know exactly what he or she will do. Great atmosphereic mood too away from the usual city place. Is Kyodai dead or alive? I guess we will never truly know (though I have a feeling he is dead since no more episodes dealt with him).

Hmm, I see to be one of the first few people to post a review again. That JL episode (which I missed and will watch at 10 a.m.) must of wore everyone out.

czyznyck99

Apr 8, 2002
Somewhere Apocalyptic...
I had already seen this episode, but I never cared to comment on it. It wasn't bad. I just loved the fight at the end. That whole "deadly touch" thing was somewhat weird, I remember at first that I thought Batman actually withstood the pressure (how cool would that have been :cool: ).

3 stars.

Later.

Drachentöter

Good night. And good luck.
Oct 17, 2002
USA
Three 1/2 stars

This was an entertaining episode. But I don't see how people can hate Moon of the Wolf so much and not say a bad word about this one. As soon as I saw the title, I figured it'd be the same thing.

Some goofy legend told in flashback is threatening people and Batman must stop it. I'm not saying MotW was better in plot, but the basis is the same. It just leaves me apathetic when it comes to the episode.

Animation didn't impress me too much. I never liked squinty eyed Bruce that much. He looks too much like Clark Kent especially after seeing Little Girl Lost pt. 2.

The good things about this episode were the styles. The oriental music fit well, unlike that rock guitar in Moon. Setting the episode in Japan was also a wise move, changing the dark style of Gotham. The fight between Bruce and the Ninja was interesting too, especially the Ninja's death and seeing Bats without his mask.

But my favorite part was what the Sensei said about Batman being a samurai. And he really did remind me of Samurai Jack. Kevin Conroy pulls off some nice Japanese.

Bleu Unicorn

\ (^v^) /
Mar 22, 2002
gentlewit.com
[color=63B8FF]This is another one of my favorites. I actually enjoy this one more than "Night of the Ninja." I like how it builds on the foundation from that first Kyodai episode and takes it even farther. The fact that Batman goes to Japan just makes it even more cool for me (I'm part Japanese and just love that country).

We get to meet Kairi here -- which to me, when I first watched this episode ages ago, was just going to be yet another woman that would fall for Batman. Needless to say I'm glad they didn't play that up (it's an angle I think is overplayed sometimes). Though it would have been neat to have seen her again during the series -- although, I guess "Curse of the Kobra" counts. <shrugs>

Anyway, the fight scene by the volcano is one of my most favorite action sequences of the series -- lots of emotion there for a battle, which just heightens it that much more. Overall, 4.5 stars.[/color]

Condiment King

custom user title
Apr 19, 2002
www.poned.com
****1/2

This is absolutely one of my favorite episodes! This and "Night of the Ninja" are awesome. Kyodai Ken just seems to get in the mind of Bruce Wayne more so than even the Joker.

This was an entertaining episode. But I don't see how people can hate Moon of the Wolf so much and not say a bad word about this one. As soon as I saw the title, I figured it'd be the same thing.
There is a difference. "Moon of the Wolf" I think could be compared to "Critters" (and we all know how bad that episode is) because Farmer Brown and the villain from "Moon of the Wolf" are both never seen again. Yet, Kyodai Ken has two episodes. :p Plus, like I said before, Kyodai KNOWS Bruce Wayne more than perhaps even the Joker. Even though Kyodai probably won't be remembered by anyone but hardcore Bat-fans, Kyodai Ken is a major element from Bruce's past, which goes into him becoming the Batman.

Drachentöter

Good night. And good luck.
Oct 17, 2002
USA
Originally posted by ionglkyle
There is a difference. "Moon of the Wolf" I think could be compared to "Critters" (and we all know how bad that episode is) because Farmer Brown and the villain from "Moon of the Wolf" are both never seen again. Yet, Kyodai Ken has two episodes. Plus, like I said before, Kyodai KNOWS Bruce Wayne more than perhaps even the Joker. Even though Kyodai probably won't be remembered by anyone but hardcore Bat-fans, Kyodai Ken is a major element from Bruce's past, which goes into him becoming the Batman.
Yeah, you have a point, the villain is what tips the balance. The werewolf in MotW I couldn't care less for and the same goes for Batman. Kyodai Ken had an obvious history with Bats as well as a more interesting personallity overall (his death sticks in my mind).

But affects Bats more than the Joker?

Yeah...RIGHT. :p

Pyro

Sep 15, 2002
Around...
Visit site
I thought it was pretty good, I loved the action scenes and the lava. For some reason, I really liked the batgrapple in this episode. I thought it was weird when Kyodai Ken said "who would have thought it would be there," that seemed like a pretty obvious area to me. Plus I had learned before that pressing near that area(at the base of your ribs) could puncture your liver but what does that matter if the liver can regenerate up to 1/4 of itself? Can somebody clarify whether that touch can kill or not? It was a very entertaining story. I give it a **** 1/2

Raziel

The Anti-Hero of Soul Reaver
Aug 8, 2002
www.gamefaqs.com
Originally posted by Bleu Unicorn
[color=63B8FF]This is another one of my favorites. I actually enjoy this one more than "Night of the Ninja." I like how it builds on the foundation from that first Kyodai episode and takes it even farther. The fact that Batman goes to Japan just makes it even more cool for me (I'm part Japanese and just love that country).

We get to meet Kairi here -- which to me, when I first watched this episode ages ago, was just going to be yet another woman that would fall for Batman. Needless to say I'm glad they didn't play that up (it's an angle I think is overplayed sometimes). Though it would have been neat to have seen her again during the series -- although, I guess "Curse of the Kobra" counts. <shrugs>

Anyway, the fight scene by the volcano is one of my most favorite action sequences of the series -- lots of emotion there for a battle, which just heightens it that much more. Overall, 4.5 stars.[/color]
do you look asian/japanesse? Do you know any japanesse?

The Penguin

All Hail the King!
Staff member
Dec 20, 2001
South Dakota
twitter.com
****1/2

"He fought Bruce Wayne and Batman. Fighting styles are like fingerprints. Kyodai knows that we're the same man." - Bruce Wayne, Day of the Samurai

When I tried to watch this episode last weekend I was just too tired and I was falling asleep. :yawn: Then I forgot I hadn't watched it yet! :eek: So here I am. This was a great episode and I could find very little wrong with it.

The ancient tale and the flashback with Bruce's voice-over was a very strong and powerful part of the episode. It was cool seeing Batman outside of Gotham, we don't get that kind of thing very often and this was Japan no less!

The final confrontation between Bruce and Kyodai was very well done and the volcano just added to the tension.

The biggest problem I had with this episode was the voice change of Yoru Sensai. Chao-Li Chi was absolutely perfect in Night of the Ninja and it was really lost with Goh Misawa. It just wasn't the same. :(

Last time Bruce Wayne face off with his former rival Kyodai Ken he was viewed by both his opponent and his closest friends as the "underdog" and the chances he would defeat Kyodai were not very good. When he managed to defeat the ninja in hand to hand combat his foe escaped humilated, wondering how he could have lost to "a rich man's pampered son." Swearing revenge Kyodai sought out the 'Death Touch' to defeat his rival, using Yoru Sensai and his prize student to get it. In order to get Batman/Bruce Wayne to face he him to committed the ultimate act—kidnapping one of those close friends. His plan almost worked, but Bruce's superior intellect won out over Kyodai's strength. Once again defeated, Kyodai would not take another hit to his ego by accepting help and was swept away in a volcanic explosion.

Is Kyodai Ken dead? We will never know.

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Apr 23, 2001
Toonzone
www.worldsfinestonline.com
Re: ****1/2

Originally posted by The Penguin
Is Kyodai Ken dead? We will never know.
Yeah - he's dead. Originally, it was going to be pretty obvious that Kyodai Ken died in the explosion. But due to censor problems, the scene had to be reboarded and rescripted so we were left wondering. But Bruce Timm confirmed that Ken is dead...

The Penguin

All Hail the King!
Staff member
Dec 20, 2001
South Dakota
twitter.com
Originally posted by Jim Harvey
Yeah - he's dead. Originally, it was going to be pretty obvious that Kyodai was blown to kingdom come. But due to censor problems, the scene had to be storyboarded so we were left wondering. But Bruce Timm has stated that Ken is dead...
Very interesting. Thanks Jim. ;)

Sep 7, 2004
Earth
Time for a DVD review!

I though this episode was cool. I agree that the subtitles were a nice touch(you don't see those in cartoons everyday!) The battle on the volcano was amazing.(the animation could have been better though) Seeing Batman without his mask was REALLY cool.

Batman Fan

Batarang Attack
Jan 21, 2005
Charlotte, NC
I liked this episode a lot, more than Kyodia's first appearence in "Night of the Ninja" It was nice to see Batman in Japan instead of just plain old Gotham City. The fight on the volcano was amazing, and Batman's defense against the touch was good too.

The ending was great too, when Yoru Sensei commented on Batman's bravery and saying that he's a real samurai was cool. The animation was a bit sluggish but overall a good episode. 4stars

V.L.

Nerdlinger
Oct 26, 2004
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I took the opportunity to watch this episode again (eagerly awaiting volume 3 now) and I once again got a whole Fistful of Dollars vibe with the defence Bruce employed against Kyodai's technique.

Revelator

Loathsome spotted reptile
Nov 18, 2001
San Francisco, CA
Okay episode. The backgrounds are great but the figure animation is really very lousy, and when the characters fight it's like watching dueling sock puppets. Kyodai Ken never really had that much to him beyond resentment, so his getting killed off probably was a good move. What makes this episode unqiue among other cartoons is the extensive use of subtitles, which was a very nice touch and realistically done. In an age where Americans are rushing to dub Japan's cartoons, it's nice to see American animation that's actually interested in giving its viewers a dose of Japanese. The best part of the episode was the sensei explaining how Batman's sense of fair play--extending a lifeline to Kyodai and not using the death-touch himself--lifts him above the ranks of a ninja like Kyodai, who otherwise uses many of Batman's techniques of sneakiness and playing dirty.