B:TAS "Cold Comfort" Talkback (Spoilers)

Latest News & Videos

Rate "Cold Comfort"

Votes: 8 18.2%
  • ****1/2

Votes: 11 25.0%

Votes: 10 22.7%
  • ***1/2

Votes: 4 9.1%

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • **1/2

Votes: 2 4.5%

• *1/2

Votes: 1 2.3%

• 1/2

Votes: 3 6.8%

• Total voters

Wolf Boy2

Mar 12, 2006
Virginia
Caswin said:
What about Ventriloquist?
He was never evil. His alternate personality was the evil one. Just like Harvey Dent was never evil (Two-Face and the Judge were the evil ones).

Toddman

Hulk not good with words.
Jun 6, 2001
St. Louis, MO
Visit site
TheGrayGhost said:
You know, it's strange. I've never really encountered such overbearing moderators before. It was one of the reasons why I was hesitant to become a member of this forum. I hope you guys know that this forum has earned quite an infamous reputation among other community boards.
Personally I'm glad there is such strict enforcement of board rules at this site (although I'll admit that seeing two "censored" tags so close together is a little strange).

I've trolled other message boards from this genre (check out the DC Comics website for one) and have seen some of the childish insults and name-calling that are allowed to pass there. Not to mention some of the outright racism, homophopia and ignorance that's posted from time to time. Add all of that to the fact that so much rumor and wild misinformation goes unchecked and it starts to look like a real train wreck to me.

If that's what passes for the opposite of "infamous", they can keep it.

Toddman

Caswin

Apr 12, 2004
Wolf Boy2 said:
He was never evil. His alternate personality was the evil one. Just like Harvey Dent was never evil (Two-Face and the Judge were the evil ones).
Veering a little off-topic, but since no one replied to mine, and people are evidently reading this one - why, especially in the TWF cast pages, do I keep seeing Judge listed as a villain and Phantasm a hero?

AlienX

Apr 22, 2008
massachusetts
Ahh the controversial cold comfort while some hate others love I thought it was a great episode of tnba but when yo compare it to his other appearances it kind of lacked meaning of what his other apperance signafy but does show a different side to him and really this is now where it shifts more toward his condition as an immortal and I loved the end where his head is missing from his robotic body gives way to what we see in batman beyond and the comics . This felt really sad in what he became but it felt like a good episode but thankfully this is followed up later and evens out this story .

Babat

Mar 26, 2009
US
Whom he lost again. He was a monster in Heart of Ice also. He wanted to kill Ferris Boyle, and he would kill anyone who interfered. When he discovered Nora was alive, he became much more human again.

But then his body died just as Nora's was revived, and she remarried. He was given another kick in the [Toonzone censored me], worse than the first one. This salt in an already open would created the monster of "Cold Comfort."
Exactly. That is how I took it too. The other option was to continue the way he was but what right does he have to be evil when nora is healthy again. That seem to be his motivation. They had to come with some way that he couldn't be with nora in order to explain his villianous.

I love this episode. We get to see wayne manor which means seeing alfred and bat family interaction which I love. We hardly saw that in tnba. One of the few things I didn't like about tnba was how they make bruce so cold. I like the personality bruce had in btas. We get to seem some of that with his interaction with barbara and mostly with tim (trying to avoid tim's point). :)

DisneyBoy

Searchin' My Soul
May 16, 2001
Somewhere in the imaginat
Visit site
I don't love this episode because Freeze really comes off as a jerk, but I really respect the team for taking that risk, and letting him being a total monster for once. There's some nice animation in the final act and that fight is particularly chilling, in the aftermath of the Manor attack. There aren't many villains out there who ever dared to bust into Bruce Wayne's home. That final confrontation is especially suspenseful because you just know Victor will do it without any remorse...which is a stark contrast to him wanting everyone except himself saved from the oil rig in Subzero.

Fans of Freeze should really check out the Batman: Gotham Adventures story where he tries to reunite with Nora one last time. It's especially moving and restores much of the heart to the character.

Revelator

Loathsome spotted reptile
Nov 18, 2001
San Francisco, CA
I recently rewatched this on Blu-Ray. What a weird episode! I can see why some loathe and others praise it. There's an argument to be made that as a character Mr. Freeze was ruined the moment Nora was brought back from the dead, an act which turned a tragedy into a tortuous soap opera with a comic book-conception of death.

In an ideal world, after "Heart of Ice" BTAS would have adapted the "Batman Adventures Holiday Special" comic story involved Mr. Freeze, and afterward the character would have been retired. Some tragic characters ultimately aren't suited to being recurring villains.

But after Nora returned Mr. Freeze's story went from simple to convoluted. "Cold Comfort" seems like an effort to clear the decks--get rid of Nora but still have Mr. Freeze as a tragic villain. It works, but feels nasty at the same time.

Those Freezettes for example...it's impossible to believe Mr. Freeze has such tacky taste. If he really wanted ice maidens around, they'd be better dressed.

And the ice-nuke the city plot is basically the same thing the Joker and Two Face tried pulling in TNBA, another sign that Freeze was being reduced to villain of the week status.

Ansara's line readings are still fine, but a little more emotion is showing through, sometimes the wrong sort too, considering the notes of petulance and self-pity. Perhaps these should be considered signs of the character's evolution or devolution, but they certainly leave a sour taste. Freeze is also burdened with too much expository dialogue--I miss the taciturn old Freeze.

The animation in this episode didn't bother me back in '97 but now seems rather mediocre--never bad and never good. There's more consistency in the character rendering than in the bad old days of Akom, but there's an insubstantial, flimsy feel to the characters' appearances.

I can understand what the crew were attempting in "Cold Comfort" but can't take more than superficial pleasure in what was done. Perhaps it would have been best to bypass Mr. Freeze and go back to rehabilitating another silly old comics villain instead. Polka Dot Man anyone?

Reactions: Fone Bone

#TeamMike

Nov 24, 2018
New York
I've grown to appreciate this one after the Batman Beyond episode "Meltdown."

I basically see this episode as a part of Mr. Freeze's character arc. Had it been his last episode, I would have disliked it.

Last edited:

Revelator

Loathsome spotted reptile
Nov 18, 2001
San Francisco, CA
I was never very fond of "Meltdown," but perhaps I should rewatch it after Batman Beyond arrives on Blu-Ray. At the time I thought it was an overwrought attempt to give Mr. Freeze a tragic ending, but I can see why it would leave a better taste in one's mouth than "Cold Comfort."

#TeamMike

Nov 24, 2018
New York
I was never very fond of "Meltdown," but perhaps I should rewatch it after Batman Beyond arrives on Blu-Ray. At the time I thought it was an overwrought attempt to give Mr. Freeze a tragic ending, but I can see why it would leave a better taste in one's mouth than "Cold Comfort."
"Meltdown" has my favorite Michael Ansara performance as the character.

He basically gets to play all the sides to Mr. Freeze. Bitter, remorseful, happy, and then vengeful.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Jul 13, 2003
Shahdaroba
www.dcauresource.com
Couple day's ago, James Tucker talked about the origin of Mr. Freeze's Icemaidens.
The Icemaidens idea came from a conversation we had over lunch. As originally pitched, she (we only talked about one him having one ice maiden) was to be eerily silent and creepy like Dr. Phibes' assistant, Vulnavia, instead of the ice pun chatterbox we got
(Incidentally, it also got me thinking what Mr. Freeze would sound like if Vincent Price voiced him)

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Saw the Descendants short Audrey's Royal Return. I will not miss this franchise. That was a disaster.
I'd tell Pumpkin Spice to go back where he came from but I'm not sure he'd still fit in the bottom of an outhouse.
Happy 2nd anniversary to what I believe is Disney’s best program, Parker Plays.
So now entire three and a half minute long music videos count as ads?? No thanks, YouTube.

#StopThisMadness
Radical Buster wrote on Spaceman's profile.
I really like your avatar. Violet Evergarden ranks pretty high on my list of favorite animes from last year, alongside Devilman Crybaby and Megalo Box.