B:TAS "Cold Comfort" Talkback (Spoilers)

Latest News & Videos

Rate "Cold Comfort"

Votes: 8 18.2%
  • ****1/2

Votes: 11 25.0%

Votes: 10 22.7%
  • ***1/2

Votes: 4 9.1%

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • **1/2

Votes: 2 4.5%

• *1/2

Votes: 1 2.3%

• 1/2

Votes: 3 6.8%

• Total voters

ROBOTRON

100% Pure Robot!
Aug 27, 2005
Detroit...WE KILL PEOPLE.
www.freewebs.com
3 stars.

Freeze is reduced to a head (a story which was continued in Batman Beyond) and hires women as henchmen to carry out his non-profit reign of terror. Good episode, but one which left me asking more questions about Freeze than ever.

Why would those henchwomen work for Freeze when he obviously has no motivation other than anger? Where did he get all the money from to buy his headquarters, helicopter, reverse fusion bomb, etc.? Did he steal all that stuff or what? After Gotham bay thawed out who retrieved/kept and stored his head for 30 years?

Strange.:sweat:

Road to Gotham

Sep 5, 2003
Excellent episode. 'A'

Feel Pathos towards Freeze as his humanity has slip away from him.
Very Creepy watching the head of Freeze attach itself to the metal body.
Batman and Batgirl make a good team.
Plus there is a cameo by Jack Ryder aka the Creeper.

John Cage

Mystery Man, 666+ Posts Strong
Sep 8, 2004
Canada
I never cared much for this episode, and agree with Jim that the ice nymphs as a glimpse into Mr. Freeze's current mindset is a weak explanation. The only good thing to come out of this is that it set up "Meltdown" and the great bit where the relative of one of Freeze's victims wants revenge. It was a great moment, and, in fact, "Meltdown", in hindsight, seems to be the DCAU team's way of making up for how unsympathetic Freeze got in this episode. I hope this comes up on the next DVD set, since Freeze, and a couple of other villains like Two-Face, lost of lot of their sympathetic qualities in TNBA.

Have a good day.
John Cage
(Mystery Man)

Tom Servo

Dec 21, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
I would agree on some critiques on this episode, but I still found it engaging. I found that Freeze's motivation worked for me, in that there was nothing left of him as a man at all, so reuniting with his revived wife would be quite the hollow victory. His plan on robbing others of what they love works as well, but I would have almost preferred him doing this alone, with no henchmen (or henchwomen). And I enjoyed his fight w/ Batman and was surprised when he strapped Freeze to his own bomb and then dropped them both! Goodness gracious, that was "cold", but at that point, Batman had had enough. And somewhere that head is crawling along on the ocean floor, I guess...

Batman Fan

Batarang Attack
Jan 21, 2005
Charlotte, NC
I'm in the minority but I enjoyed this episode. It does have its problems, but I found it to be a pretty good episode.

The main prolems are mostly with continuity and the quote "Drastic change of Mr. Freeze's motives for the worst" unquote. Some things don't make since like his change from being able to feel emotions to going back to the way he started out, there was no real logical explanation for that. The ice maidens, while pretty cool for henchwomen, were unnecessary and didn't make since for Freeze to have them. Then Freeze, went from taking everything people liked, to wiping out the whole city, which I guess is basically the same thing, but it doesn't fit from what he was doing at first and why he stopped doing it, as we all know, Freeze is very persistent, so I don't know why he changed his plan.

But, I did like Mr. Freeze's new motive. The man struggled and went through so much to save his wife and thought he could live happily ever after with her once he saved her, but tragedy struck him again, deteriorating his body and again seperating him from his one true love. You gotta feel sorry for this guy, seeing him persevere through challenge after challenge to reach his goal and then having it taken away from him in a hearbeat must have been heartbreaking. This probably made Freeze lose control of himself mentally and he probably just snapped. I think the motive was very fitting, just as in he would do everything to save Nora, and then lost her, he felt he should take away what everyone else cared for to make them suffer just as he did. While they didn't give us a clue why he'd want to do this other than to make people suffer what he did, I liked it and thought it fit very well with Freeze's cold attitude and heart.

There were a lot of action scenes I liked, from the beginning battle with the ice maidens, to Batgirl's training session, to the attack on Wayne Manor, to the fight at the end on the helicopter, a lot of scenes were great and provided some interesting moments. I liked how Batman was completely unsatisfied with Batgirl's score and he has some good dialouge, it fits with his perfectionist ways and his attitude as a mentor. The fight in Wayne Manor was cool, with Batgirl fighting Freeze and Bruce and Tim against the Icemaidens. The fight at the end was very brutal and cold on Batman's part, but it made for a great scene where you see Freeze's suit in the iceberg without his head.

The animation was really nice on the fighting sequences and character movments and ice effects were all really nice. I loved the way the new Freeze design was animated and the addition to the creepy spider robot Freeze was also cool.

All in all, an underrated episode IMO, that deserves a second chance.

TheGrayGhost

Apr 14, 2006
...Now I know who to blame for the writing of Subzero.

Batman's comment in Dark Heart regarding his on-board ice weapon prompted me to find the episode featuring the event he was referring to. This is the episode. And what a good episode it is. Surprisingly good, actually.

Wolf Boy2

Mar 12, 2006
Virginia
I loved, as I did all of TNBA.

It's called "character development", people. Bats and Freeze had to change over time from their "Heart of Ice" selves.

And "Subzero" was stinking AWESOME. As good as MOTP.

Anyone notice that Batman didnt help the frozen Ice Maiden? Or that he kicked another one in the face? He was definetely getting colder in his old age.

I also like how Batgirl didnt hold a grudge against Freeze, even though he tried to kill her.

Wonderwall

Staff member
Mar 4, 2006
Canada
This is one of my fav episodes from the TNBA. I thought that Freeze's actions and new motivations worked well, and that it was a good showing of character growth. It also establishes the foundation for his awesome return in Batman Beyond. The animation was pretty solid, as most of the New batman Adventures were. The new suit also looked great, and the fight on the helicopter rocked, pretty hard hits that the Bats took. The only complaint I had were his henchwomen. They looked cool and all but I thought they didnt make sense to have around, and Cree Summer was more annoying than usual in this episode..almost The Hulk season 2 She Hulk annoying.

Caswin

Apr 12, 2004
TheGrayGhost said:
Personally, I believe ROTJ to be the best of the DTV's, but saying Subzero is as good as MOTP is blasphemous.
Agreed. I have to agree with Maxie Zeus when he said that that's a story that didn't need sixty minutes to tell.

That, an offshore oil rig still full of oil, incredibly weak polar bears, and his wife's mysterious recovery. Better than Batman & Robin? You'll hear little dispute on that. Better than Heart of Ice? Debatable; I think not. Better than Mask of the Phantasm? ...no.

Wolf Boy2

Mar 12, 2006
Virginia
Caswin said:
Agreed. I have to agree with Maxie Zeus when he said that that's a story that didn't need sixty minutes to tell.

That, an offshore oil rig still full of oil, incredibly weak polar bears, and his wife's mysterious recovery. Better than Batman & Robin? You'll hear little dispute on that. Better than Heart of Ice? Debatable; I think not. Better than Mask of the Phantasm? ...no.
I didn't say better, I said as good as. Hell, I enjoyed them equally, do y'all hafta attack me for it?

Kraven

Jun 24, 2006
Unknown
This episode utterly ruined Mr. Freeze for me. I hated the new design and his "loss of humanity." I was so ticked the entire time, you wouldn't believe it. Chalk up another reason for me to hate TNBA and want BTAS the way it used to be.

-Kraven

TheGrayGhost

Apr 14, 2006
Kraven said:
This episode utterly ruined Mr. Freeze for me. I hated the new design and his "loss of humanity." I was so ticked the entire time, you wouldn't believe it. Chalk up another reason for me to hate TNBA and want BTAS the way it used to be.

-Kraven
His disconnection from humanity is a part of the character since BTAS. It is a concept which is symbollically represented in his cold/ice/snow motif. So you're contempt shouldn't be anything new. I think you're just creating reasons to dislike the series. Which is fine by me, but I thought you'd like to know that you're an [Toonzone censored me.]

Kraven

Jun 24, 2006
Unknown
TheGrayGhost said:
His disconnection from humanity is a part of the character since BTAS.
That's not how I see it. IMO, he was always trying to get closer to humanity by reviving his wife.
TheGrayGhost said:
I think you're just creating reasons to dislike the series.
I... could be.:evil: :rolleyes:
TheGrayGhost said:
but I thought you'd like to know that you're an [Toonzone censored me.]
I'd respond, but the mods are in high alert now and I really don't want to start a fight. Look for one somewhere else.;)

-Kraven

TheGrayGhost

Apr 14, 2006
You know, it's strange. I've never really encountered such overbearing moderators before. It was one of the reasons why I was hesitant to become a member of this forum. I hope you guys know that this forum has earned quite an infamous reputation among other community boards.

Wolf Boy2

Mar 12, 2006
Virginia
Kraven said:
That's not how I see it. IMO, he was always trying to get closer to humanity by reviving his wife.
Whom he lost again. He was a monster in Heart of Ice also. He wanted to kill Ferris Boyle, and he would kill anyone who interfered. When he discovered Nora was alive, he became much more human again.

But then his body died just as Nora's was revived, and she remarried. He was given another kick in the [Toonzone censored me], worse than the first one. This salt in an already open would created the monster of "Cold Comfort."

Fifty years of nothingness was the only thing that mellowed him out into the Victor of "Meltdown." Knowing that Nora would be dead anyway dulled the pain of her rejection.

I love this character development. What y'all seem to want are one-note characters that never evolve. Batman's world is cold and dark. Characters get darker. They do not reform (with the noteable exception of Arnold Stromwell). Every character on BTAS/TNBA evolved further into the abyss. Even Superman did. Terry almost did, but in the end he broke that cycle.

TheGrayGhost

Apr 14, 2006
Amen.

Although I'm a bit curious about your mention of Superman. Afterall, he has Lois and his parents to anchor him.

Wolf Boy2

Mar 12, 2006
Virginia
TheGrayGhost said:
Amen.

Although I'm a bit curious about your mention of Superman. Afterall, he has Lois and his parents to anchor him.
All I meant was that everyone who entered Batman's world became darker characters. However, Superman's darkness had to do with "Legacy", and nothing to do with Batman or Gotham, so I guess that analogy doesnt work.