B:TAS "Cold Comfort" Talkback (Spoilers)

Latest News & Videos

Rate "Cold Comfort"

Votes: 8 18.2%
  • ****1/2

Votes: 11 25.0%

Votes: 10 22.7%
  • ***1/2

Votes: 4 9.1%

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • **1/2

Votes: 2 4.5%

• *1/2

Votes: 1 2.3%

• 1/2

Votes: 3 6.8%

• Total voters

The Penguin

All Hail the King!
Staff member
Dec 20, 2001
South Dakota
twitter.com
Discuss this classic Batman: The Animated Series episode from the The New Batman Adventures era!

Episode #088 - Cold Comfort
Original Airdate - October 11th, 1997.

Mr.Freeze is back and bitter as ever as he plans to release his vengeance on Gotham City. Freeze also has a big surprise for Batman.

Comments?

Condiment King

custom user title
Apr 19, 2002
www.poned.com
Is Batman on every day now?
Indeed, Batman: The Animated Series is on weekdays at 3:30 p.m. on Cartoon Network as well as 2:30 a.m. every Saturday.

Very good episode and very surprising. In the first of the episode, I was afraid that Mr. Freeze was being reduced to a punk, much like Two-Face was, but hey, Mr. Freeze had another very meaningful episode. Bruce seemed a bit more "nice" in this episode than I like though. :p I thought it was rather fitting for the episode to be called "Cold Comfort" and that is exactly what Mr. Freeze sought but never found. :( After he came to that point, he sought to take all the comfort away from Gotham City and drag everyone down with him.

Very exceptional episode.

Bleu Unicorn

\ (^v^) /
Mar 22, 2002
gentlewit.com

[color=63B8FF]I must have been in some alternate reality every other time this episode has aired, as today I finally got to see it for the first time.

I'm pretty blown away, I must admit. I can see how everyone who saw this before Sub-Zero was so disappointed, which makes me so glad that today was the first time I saw this. :D Having seen "Meltdown" the whole talking head thing (while still kind of freaky) wasn't really a shock. Freeze drastic change is pretty interesting. He's definitely one of the villians that you feel the most sympathetic for -- and permanently loosing Nora certainly took its toll on him.

I really enjoyed this one. I loved how Bruce's concern for Tim and Alfred was shown when Freeze threatened them. And how he stayed by Alfred when Freeze ran off. It just was so very right. I couldn't have imagined it better. The scene prior to that in the Cave was pretty in character for him, pushing Batgirl to do better, even though she got a high score. And what a gauntlet to run! Oiya!

I like the design Freeze has in TNBA, not that I ever had any problems with the original design, but it works for the sleeker TNBA look. Honestly, off the top of my head I can't find much I didn't like with this episode.

And was that Cree Summer (Max in BB) as one of Freeze's henchwomen?[/color]

Last edited by a moderator:

DKstormyknight

Shadow in the Darkness
Jun 24, 2002
Prowling in the Batmobile
Visit site
Re: ****

Originally posted by BleuUnicorn
I loved how Bruce's concern for Tim and Alfred was shown when Freeze threatened them. And how he stayed by Alfred when Freeze ran off. It just was so very right. I couldn't have imagined it better.

I agree, his concern for Tim and Alfred was perfect, great part of the episode! I never got to see Cold Comfort until today, and overall I liked it. The story was good, the music great and Mr.Freezes new look is vary cool. (pun intended) Good Episode!

:cool:

TheScarecrow

The Master Of Fear
Nov 20, 2001
Arkham Asylum
Visit site
On one hand, I had no problem with the "new" Mr. Freeze. He seemed to have a logical reason for snapping to the point where he would go around destroying the things that people valued most... he lost everything (his wife, his body, and any sanity he had) and now he wanted everyone else to feel the same.

Doesn't make him sympathetic like his old motive in BTAS, but in a way that adds to the tragedy. You felt so sorry for Freeze in BTAS, and to see him become THAT, you go "what a shame". Losing the rest of his body, I didn't even have a problem with. I know some thought it sucked, but again, for me, it added to the tragedy of the "new" Mr. Freeze.

Michael really did a great acting job in portraying the "new" Mr. Freeze as well. Then again, he's ALWAYS done a great job playing this character, so I guess that's a moot point.

The only real problems I had with this episode came from Freeze's new hinchm... er... women. It's way out of character for Freeze to hire chicks with bad and annoying (and I mean REALLY BAD and REALLY ANNOYING) puns to do his dirty work for him... especially this new darker heartless Freeze, who I could see hiring big silent thugs to keep people at bay while he carried out his heartless acts.

I can see the Arnold version from B&R, or the three versions from the 60's show, having female "molls", but not the Bruce Timm animated version. Man, what a crock! That, along with the spider legs on Freeze's head container, led me to believe that Jon Peters had a hand in making this episode. All that was missing were the polar bears and the gay robot sidekick.

Other good things: the Batgirl training segment, with that theme music, as well as the interactions between Bruce, Batgirl, Tim, and Alfred. And Bruce playing dumb about the dinosaur fossil (calling it a lizard) was a nice touch of character as well (remember, he's SUPPOSED to play a bubblehead in public).

JohnStewart-GL

Mighty JLU memba
Jan 9, 2002
tulsa oklahoma
I gave it 4 1/2 stars. I liked Freeze's new design for TNBA better than his Btas counterpart. This is one of my fave TNBA eps. I always like Freeze hes a very tragic character.

mbaker

Nov 8, 2001
Washington, PA.
Visit site
Is this episode connected with Batman Beyond's "Meltdown"? I would assume that Freeze would eventualy return as A cyborg. I've also noticed that Batgirl sticking her toung out when being criticized has carried over to TNBA.

Dr. J

Ninja in training
Oct 7, 2002
Visit site
****1/2 from me. I've seen it before, but it was still great. I especially like the scene where Bruce is scolding Tim about his lack of knowledge about the justice system, and Tim points out that he doesn't exactly follow due process. "Uh... so, how did you do on your math test?"

Daredevil_2003

The Man Without Fear
Jul 13, 2002
Tampa, FL

This has to be the best Mr. Freeze story I've ever seen or read outside of "Heart of Ice" (the first B:TAS Freeze episode). The fight between Freeze and Batsy at the end is one of the main reasons, I guess. Seeing Victor finally go over the edge was definitely cool as well. I just love this episode, I do not know why, but I do. Definitely one of the best B:TAS episodes and perhaps the best TNBA episode.

The Penguin

All Hail the King!
Staff member
Dec 20, 2001
South Dakota
twitter.com

"Ironic isn't it? After all I did to keep my wife whole, I end up like this. You understand now why I could not return to my Nora, my treasure. There's no hope for me, or you, or your city. Everyone's going to feel my loss." - Mr. Freeze, Cold Comfort

My first impressions of the episode had me wondering why Freeze was just going around hurting people. That has never been his style. Victor Fries always has a higher purpose when he causes trouble, but now he was just causing others pain simply because.

Going after Bruce's surrogate family was an interesting move for the meaner, mechanical Mr. Freeze. It was touching seeing Bruce move to protect Tim and then tend to Alfred.

On a complete side note, I loved the debate between Bruce and Tim about the civics test. :D

Even though I was expecting it, it was still a shock to see Freeze with only a head. I liked the episode, but at the same time I felt like we lost a lot of who Mr. Freeze is and what he stands for. He just wasn't the same and it wasn't because he's just a head now.

:eek: The frozen suit minus the head was a powerful way to end the episode.

Caped Crusader

Batman--The Dark Knight
Dec 8, 2001
The Batcave
www.comicartfans.com
I’ve had next to no time to respond these talkbacks lately, but now I’m finally getting a chance.

“Cold Comfort” has never been one of my favorite episodes. I didn’t like how they made Nora leave him and marry her doctor. I also didn’t like how they reduced Mr. Freeze to just a head! :eek: I will say that this episode had its moments, but I still wasn't very impressed with it.

Originally posted by TheScarecrow
The only real problems I had with this episode came from Freeze's new hinchm... er... women. It's way out of character for Freeze to hire chicks with bad and annoying (and I mean REALLY BAD and REALLY ANNOYING) puns to do his dirty work for him... especially this new darker heartless Freeze, who I could see hiring big silent thugs to keep people at bay while he carried out his heartless acts

I couldn't agree more. Out of all of the things I disliked about this episode, I disliked them the most!

M

Mr. Freeze

Anyone find the Freezettes completely lame? They served pretty much no purpose, and could've easily been replaced with a shot from Mr. Freeze's gun. I wish I knew why these hwenchwomen were brought in. Seems to me that they were brought in simply as eye candy. If they weren't in there, they episode would've been a bit better. Freeze has no reason to rely on these girls. He even leaves on behind!

bat313

Jan 26, 2003
NJ
Visit site
This episode was alwys one of the things that bothered me about TNBA. Everything that BTAS had nicely tied up was unwrapped again for so that TNBA could have a few more stories. At the end of "SUBZERO" poor Mr freeze can finally see that his Nora will be alright. I think a better ending is actually letting Batman help him become more human again, so that he can be with his wife. After all, batman did rescue her in after that oil thing burned down, and i would think Freeze would be very grateful to him. Instead they chop off his head, and turn him into a freek. The same thing happened to clayface, who shoudl never have come back to life, but thats another story. But thats just my two cents,
Bat13 :cool:

Boyd Kirkland

Dec 24, 2002
CA
Visit site
Mr. Freeze said:
Anyone find the Freezettes completely lame? They served pretty much no purpose, and could've easily been replaced with a shot from Mr. Freeze's gun. I wish I knew why these hwenchwomen were brought in. Seems to me that they were brought in simply as eye candy.
Caped Crusader said:
“Cold Comfort” has never been one of my favorite episodes. I didn’t like how they made Nora leave him and marry her doctor. I also didn’t like how they reduced Mr. Freeze to just a head!
bat313 said:
This episode was always one of the things that bothered me about TNBA. Everything that BTAS had nicely tied up was unwrapped again for so that TNBA could have a few more stories. At the end of "SUBZERO" poor Mr freeze can finally see that his Nora will be alright. I think a better ending is actually letting Batman help him become more human again, so that he can be with his wife. After all, batman did rescue her in after that oil thing burned down, and i would think Freeze would be very grateful to him. Instead they chop off his head, and turn him into a freek. The same thing happened to clayface, who shoudl never have come back to life, but thats another story. But thats just my two cents,
Bat13 :cool:
My sentiments exactly. This story just felt like someone's idea of a sick, twisted joke - a poke in the eye of anyone tempted to feel sympathetic for Mr. Freeze.

Maxie Zeus

Upside Down
May 1, 2001
Norman, Oklahoma
anbat.toonzone.net
Mr. Freeze said:
Anyone find the Freezettes completely lame? They served pretty much no purpose, and could've easily been replaced with a shot from Mr. Freeze's gun. I wish I knew why these hwenchwomen were brought in. Seems to me that they were brought in simply as eye candy. If they weren't in there, they episode would've been a bit better. Freeze has no reason to rely on these girls. He even leaves on behind!
Okay, I gotta defend them, though no one will like the defense, because it involves the whole "just a head" thing.

Mr. Freeze starts off by losing his wife and losing his emotions, and, trapped in that suit, he become exiled from humanity. Losing his body is just a further extension of this -- he is now, almost literally, cut off from humanity. I think it's an ingenious "turn of the screw" on the character -- life just gets worse and worse for the poor guy.

Now, what do the nymphets have to do with this? Well, think about it: he's lost his wife and his, um, "equipment." One of the most basic "animal" behaviors -- the sort of thing that links all living things together -- is now completely denied him. So why did the TNBA crew surround him with knockout babes? As a sick joke -- he can't do with them what they're plainly designed for. And, since it's plain he voluntarily recruited them, he is torturing himself. He's lost what is dearest to himself, and he's not going to let himself forget it.

Boyd Kirkland said:
This story just felt like someone's idea of a sick, twisted joke
Well, exactly. And I can only reply: You say that like it's a bad thing. :D

bat313

Jan 26, 2003
NJ
Visit site
Wow!!!!!!!! Theeeeeee Boyd Kirkland !!!!! Are you the real Boyd Kirkland, writter and director of many a batman episode???? Cuase if you are i'm a huge fan and it's an honor that you picked my post to help emphasize how you felt about this episode.
I mean it completey ruined what you guys had done in "SubZero" which was one of the greatest Freeze apearances ever!!!!!!! The character is excellent, and i know to have a super hero you need a super villian, but this guy deserved a break. How can batman live in a world where no villian is ever reformed???? It's dishartening and outrageous. One thing i never liked was that Batman villians are alwasy escaping, killing people, and so on. Freeze was the one great character that could have turned around, and even helped fight crime, that might be pushing it, but it woud have given batman some home that waht he does is not all for nothing. This episode is merely a sad a atempt to bring back a great villian. I mean i love seeing Mr Freeze as much as the next guy, but there is a million batman villians out there, and he if any of them, should have been the one to turn around.
And by the way, Mr Kirkland, of love watching X-men evolution, and think your are one of the best at character development!!!
Thanks, Bat313 :)