• 1/2

Votes: 1 3.3%

• Total voters

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
In an effort to get talkbacks for every Batman: The Animated Series episode, The Penguin and I will be putting up B:TAS talkbacks throughout the summer. This will help fill the gaps and present a complete collection and archive of all animated Batman episode discussions. Talkbacks for scheduled episodes will stay remain intact. And now...

00r.jpg
Episode #069 - Avatar
Original Airdate - May 9th, 1994.

A mystic Egyptian scroll donated to the Gotham museum by Bruce Wayne is stolen by Ra's Al Ghul, and Batman and Talia must join forces to prevent the power-mad Ra's from unlocking the scroll's secrets of life and death. Their quest takes them to a hidden temple deep beneath the Egyptian desert. There the Dark Knight is forced into a terrifying battle with an ancient Egyptian sorceress who seeks to destroy them all.

Comments?

Another great Ra's episode, I'm glad that all of his appearances weren't strecthed over two-parters every time he appeared unlike Darkseid.

Bird Boy

WF Admin
Staff member
Batman's Biggest Fan said:
Another great Ra's episode, I'm glad that all of his appearances weren't strecthed over two-parters every time he appeared unlike Darkseid.

Meh? Darkseid was in a couple eps that weren't Two-Parters--he first appeared in "Fathers Day", then was in "Tools of the Trade". Granted, he didn't play center-stage, but still.

And what's wrong with Two-Parters, anyhow? :p

As for the episode--I always liked it. Being into Archeology and the whole tomb, mummy, thing...I dunno, I just always found it pretty cool. Plus there were some great quotes (most of which are seen in the on World's Finest).

Plus, the animation was damn fine in here too...very well done.

-BB

JusticeLeagueLegion

Samantha is a hottie!!
Actually "Tools Of The Trade" came first Bird Boy. But anyway, I thought this episode was one of the coolest episodes of the series...that Ancient Queen was down right scary...and all in all...the episode just rocked.

James

Administrator
Staff member
Another of my favourite episodes. It just oozes style. It captures those old 40's B-movie flicks. The relationship between Bruce and Talia is well depicted and it's great to see more of Bruce and less of Batman for a change.

Great homage and full of action and drama.

Anarky

Team Conan
I liked this ep, however, the Thoth Kapera angle was a bit over the top for a Batman story. But I suppose she opened the door for Etrigan to appear on TNBA and Karkull in STAS. I gather that the WB was more lenient w/ black magic and the undead than FOX was. Typical BTAS greatness: animation, storyboard, dialogue, music, action...

Gotta love the twist at the end. I won't spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it, even though spoilers are allowed on talkbacks.

oh, great titlecard for Avatar and the opening was unique as well. Instead of going black-n-white, they went w/ brownish hue instead...perfect for the desert atmosphere.

JusticeLeagueLegion

Samantha is a hottie!!
Anarky said:
...But I suppose she opened the door for Etrigan to appear on TNBA and Karkull in STAS. I gather that the WB was more lenient w/ black magic and the undead than FOX was.

She had nothing to do with it. And Fox had previous shows that had magic on it before this one...and this one WAS on Fox.

Until Volume 3 comes out I'll just share my personal memories.

I wanna know how in the heck did Batman get out of that dessert. All he's got is a canteen of water. As a little kid I asked my mom and her reply was this: "He's Batman, that's how!"

Batman Fan

Batarang Attack
A bit bizarre for a Batman episode but I still liked it. There's was a lot of deception in this episode which was nice too see and Batman working with Talia is cool to, always liked that team-up.

Zergrinch

You know, I have trouble relating the title, "Avatar", to anything we see in this episode... Don't the crew delight in putting double entendres into their episode titles? :evil:

Simpler Simon

Always in Style
Note that this episode is actually the last time we see Batman battle Ra's Al Ghul while the Demon's Head is in top form...."Showdown" is more about Hex than Ra's or Batman, "Demon Reborn" shows Ra's at his weakest moment, and "Out of the Past" has Ra's hiding in Talia's body.

The Penguin

Mod of Fowl Play
Staff member
"Avatar" airs tonight

Tonight at 12 midnight ET, Boomerang airs the Batman: The Animated Series episode, Avatar. If you do not have Boomerang, you are encouraged to follow along on disc 2 of your Batman: The Animated Series, Vol. 3 DVD set.

00r.jpg
Episode #069 - Avatar
Original Airdate - May 9th, 1994.

A mystic Egyptian scroll donated to the Gotham museum by Bruce Wayne is stolen by Ra's Al Ghul, and Batman and Talia must join forces to prevent the power-mad Ra's from unlocking the scroll's secrets of life and death. Their quest takes them to a hidden temple deep beneath the Egyptian desert. There the Dark Knight is forced into a terrifying battle with an ancient Egyptian sorceress who seeks to destroy them all.

Comments?

DeathscytheVII

Farewell, Daughter of Trigon
Brilliant episode with my favourite brilliant villain. I liked the fact that Ubu tossed Batman the water canteen at the very end, after he had his life saved. Shows that there is honour among some badguys ;)

I seriously wish there was at least one more Ra's episode for BTAS, i mean, bruce did consider Ra's his "greatest enemy" ;):)

looking back, i'm amazed at the impression Ra's gave me. He only had like....3 episodes in Batman (showdown is jonah hex :p), yet i still consider him just as big as the joker. Amazing character, and i love the voice actor for him.

Crow

Better than the much-heralded previous Ra's Two-Parter I reckon.

Sexual tension abounds here too.

JSmith

An okay episode, but definately the worst of the Ra's appearances. Facts are facts. After the first season of BTAS, the suits got involved and forced the creators to put Robin in nearly every episode in an attempt to get more kids watching the show. Kids buy toys, toys=$. With the switch to Adventures of Batman and Robin the show got a lot campier and a lot sillier. This episode, even though Robin doesn't appear, is an example of that campiness. A century years old mummy?? Indiana Jones like adventure? Ra's returning to youth magically at the end with no rhyme or reason?? Pure camp. This reminded me of the cheesy Alan Quartermain movies that used to run on saturday afternoons. When Bats says that Ra's sounds like a bad saturday afternoon serial, he hit the nail right on the head.

Batman Fan

Batarang Attack
I definetly don't like this one as much as I used to, it wears out on multiple viewings, and I think this is the worst Ra's appearence, it doesn't nothing to advance his character or anyone else's and while it does hint a possible relation between Bruce and Talia, it never follows through, plus, that's the last time we see Talia until Demon Reborn. This episode is mainly a boring action-adventure plot that gives some satisfaction the viewers with some nice animation, and weird action scenes, but it doesn't come through and ultimately doesn't last.

**1/2

Link

Meh... this was ok. Ra's return seemed a bit too sudden and I didn't quite get the plot. I mean Talia just abandons Batman like that. Oh well, I'll go with three stars anyways.

DisneyBoy

Searchin' My Soul
Some may think this a weak Ra's episode, but I think quite the contrary. Ra's is considered one the most powerful DCAU enemies because we get the sense, very quickly, that he is dangerous and mysterious. That's called atmosphere...and this episode is filled to the brim with it.

So what if nothing really changes by the end? There are plenty of other episodes that never amounted to some major shift in characterization. This is one fun, fine ride. Great animation, acting and story.

John Cage

Mystery Man, 666+ Posts Strong
Great episode. Much as I like a good Joker or Catwoman story, I love these grounded, more 'realistic' stories they used to do on Batman (comparatively speaking, of course). Michael Reeves did a great job with the script for this episode, and the animation is beautiful.

Have a good day.
John Cage

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts