"Aztec Batman: Clash of Empires” (HBO Max Feature) News & Discussion (Spoilers)

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
A new animated feature, “Batman Azteca: Choque de Imperios” (“Aztec Batman: Clash of Empires”) was announced by HBO Max Latin America.
HBO Max Latin America has unveiled a new take on the Dark Knight in the upcoming animation feature “Batman Azteca: Choque de Imperios” (“Aztec Batman: Clash of Empires”) in the first ever collaboration between Warner Bros. Animation, Particular Crowd, Mexico’s Anima and “Book of Life” producer Chatrone. The new project was announced Monday night at a cocktail event held at the 37th Guadalajara Int’l Film Festival (FICG).
The original, Spanish-language animated film places the iconic DC superhero against the backdrop of Aztec Mexico and immerses viewers in the enigmatic culture of Mesoamerica.
The tale centers on a young Aztec boy, Yohualli Coatl, whose father, village leader Toltecatzin, is murdered by Spanish Conquistadors. Coatl flees to Tenochtitlan to warn King Moctezuma and his high priest, Yoka, of looming danger. “Using the temple of Tzinacan, the bat god, as a lair, Yohualli trains with his mentor and assistant, Acatzin, developing equipment and weaponry to confront the Spaniard invasion, protect Moctezuma’s temple, and avenge his father’s death,” the synopsis reads.
Juan Meza-León (“Harley Quinn”) directs the feature, while Anima’s José C. García de Letona and Fernando De Fuentes serve as producers alongside Chatrone’s Aaron D. Berger and Carina Schulze.
Sam Register and Tomás Yankelevich serve as executive producers. Alejandro Díaz Barriga, an expert on Mesoamerican studies and the ethnic history of Mexico and the Andean region, will work closely with the creative team to make certain that the indigenous representation portrayed in the film is appropriate and relevant.

Comments?

TFormersMarvel

I recall there was a Deadline article, back in December 2020, that revealed HBO Max's plans to fund international originals based on DC properties.

“One of the things that we’re going to do with Max is that all of our international productions will eventually live on Max and we’re going to do a much better job of coordinating between all of the folks programming in Europe, Latin America and Asia so if there’s anything that we’re developing that has real cross-border appeal, we’ll be able to highlight that,” [Casey Bloys, Chief Content Officer of HBO and HBO Max] said.

So it's cool to see that initiative coming to fruition! The premise also sounds intriguing as an Elseworlds story, despite being another Batman adaptation. While the name didn't ring a bell, the animation studio attached (Anima) is probably best known for their Legend Quest series and films.

M.O.D.O.K.

Scientist Supreme
Staff member
I should nitpick and say that the Spanish title should probably be another word than "Choques" since that's more associated with crashes than clashes. :p

While the name didn't ring a bell, the animation studio attached (Anima) is probably best known for their Legend Quest series and films.
I'm familiar with their Leyendas work. Their earlier work is VERY rough, but they've been improving a lot as the Legend Quest series shows.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Last edited:

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
The Hernan Cortes/Two-Face combination sounds pretty interesting. I was kind of expecting them to use the actual Ra's al Ghul as a villain here but this should work, too.

M.O.D.O.K.

Scientist Supreme
Staff member
Here's some images for Batman, Joker, and Two-Face.

I only recognize Omar Chaparro. He's a comedian who's done some Spanish dub work such as Syndrome from The Incredibles. He sort of sounds like a Hispanic Tony Hale. Interesting that they're portraying Hernan Cortes as their Two-Face, but apparently he sounds to be just a generic villain.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.

Featured Posts