Avengers: Black Panther's Quest "Yemandi" Talkback (Spoilers)

Latest News & Videos

Rate and Discuss this "Avengers Assemble" episode!

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • ****1/2

Votes: 0 0.0%

• ***1/2

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • **1/2

• *1/2

• 1/2

• Total voters

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Tune in for a new episode of Marvel's Avengers: Black Panther Quest, tonight starting at 9:00PM ET!

Marvel's Avengers: Black Panther's Quest "Yemandi"
Episode Debut - January 20th, 2019

Black Panther discovers secrets about his ancestor, Yemandi.

*Anika Noni Rose (The Princess and the Frog) guest stars as Yemandi. More details here.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

BlackoutCreature

Thor and Yemandi were awesome together and I'm kinda sad that their crazy adventures aren't a regular thing on the show.

So does anybody know when exactly this episode takes place? I don't remember hearing any dates given or references to contemporary events that might date it. Some of the etymology narrows it down a bit, but as near as I can tell this could be any time between the 11th Century CE and World War I.

TheLemsterPju

Thor and Yemandi were awesome together and I'm kinda sad that their crazy adventures aren't a regular thing on the show.

So does anybody know when exactly this episode takes place? I don't remember hearing any dates given or references to contemporary events that might date it. Some of the etymology narrows it down a bit, but as near as I can tell this could be any time between the 11th Century CE and World War I.
1600s would be my guess, since historical pirates were at their prime during that time.

Loverofcomix

Am I the only one who knew the old lady was Morgan Le Fey the second she walked on screen?

An evil sorceress disguised as an old lady? Hmm....that reminds of a certain movie with 7 short men, which is also owned by Disney.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
I thought this was a lot more enjoyable than the last time Thor was turned into a frog in a cartoon (Ultimate Spider-Man season 1).

The pairing of Yemandi and Thor was pretty cool. They had some pretty good chemistry and I was kind of surprised they teased some possible romance in there as well. The nods to The Princess and the Forg, or just fairy tales in general were pretty cute. But there was also enough action to balance
all this.

Also, I was kind of expecting they would follow Klaue's suggestion and have Shuri go on the spiritual journey this episode, just to keep it an "all-girl" episode.

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
Yemandi and Thor's banter was fun, if not slightly repetitive, but man, the ending was so anti-climatic. It seems every time a villains gets their hands on a powerful artifact, they end up losing control of it.

Frontier

Staff member
So apparently the Grizzly, one of the most minor Supervillains in the history of the Marvel Universe, has an ancient ancestor. Who would've thunk it ;)?

Yemandi was pretty cool in this episode, and it was pretty awesome seeing a Wakandan Queen in action. The episode did a good job of showcasing her cleverness, ingenuity, and drive, all traits that T'Challa (and Shuri) have inherited :).

And it was really cool to have the Queen of Wakanda voiced by the first African-American Disney princess, and Anika Noni Rose did a great job displaying Yemandi's confidence and wit as she contended with both Thor and Morgan :anime:.

Yemandi's transforming sticks were pretty cool. Reminded me of Black Panther's energy daggers :cool:.

Y'know, Yemandi wearing the gold mask makes it look more like a mask then when Whitney wears it o_O.

I...wasn't too crazy about the depiction of young Thor in this episode. I mean, for one, Travis Willingham didn't even bother to change the pitch of his Thor voice so he sounded pretty much exactly the same as he always does as Thor. It also felt like his IQ took a massive nosedive, which I guess could be chalked up to inexperience and youth but felt more like making Thor act more like a bumbling oaf sidekick and less like Thor. And his hair and goatee made him look more like a young Fandral then a young Thor. In general not my favorite depiction of Thor in his youth :shrug:.

And was the word "awesome" even invented back then :confused:?

Frog Thor is always fun, although not as fun when he's flying around in full Thor regalia and with Mjolnir in hand :p.

I figured we would see Morgan Le Fay pop up in these time trips after they established her role in this last episode, and I thought she proved a solid antagonist for Yemandi and Thor here. I was also glad that they kept Grey Griffin as her voice, and I think this might be my favorite design for her :evil:.

"Mistress of the Mystic Arts?" So is Morgan now the evil Dr. Strange? She even did his hand signs :eek:!

So apparently Morgan founded the Shadow Council as a means of gaining the crown. So does that make her the Bigger Bad to the entire Shadow Council? Does Killmonger know about her :ack:?

Wow, an actual kiss on the lips in a Marvel cartoon? And it's not even involving the lead character? I mean, sure it started with kissing a frog, but it was still nice to see, especially with the build up to Yemandi and Thor's relationship. Plus I guess they couldn't help themselves with a Princess and the Frog reference :D.

I'm kind of surprised Thor hadn't mentioned Yemandi in his dealings with T'Challa to foreshadow this episode, but I guess an Asgardian prince doesn't kiss and tell...

Looking forward to seeing the story of the OG! Black Panther, Bashenga :proud:.
First kiss on the lips between characters in Marvel Animation in 8 years. :anime:
Actually four years. There was that kiss between A-Bomb and Crystal in that Hulk and the Agents of SMASH episode :sweat:.

Loverofcomix

I...wasn't too crazy about the depiction of young Thor in this episode. I mean, for one, Travis Willingham didn't even bother to change the pitch of his Thor voice so he sounded pretty much exactly the same as he always does as Thor. It also felt like his IQ took a massive nosedive, which I guess could be chalked up to inexperience and youth but felt more like making Thor act more like a bumbling oaf sidekick and less like Thor. And his hair and goatee made him look more like a young Fandral then a young Thor. In general not my favorite depiction of Thor in his youth :shrug:.
I agree. As much as I like Thor, I don't like how intrusive he was in the flashback. He pretty much forced himself into Yemandi's life, which is not okay in my opinion. There's got to be a better way to have Thor join Yemandi without making him come off as a Bill and Ted reject.

Seriously, he reminds me of bumbling sidekick characters from 90s sitcoms. The ones who do something stupid that get the main character in serious trouble. :rolleyes:

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Marvel's Avengers: Black Panther's Quest "Yemendi"

I love Thor. I love Frog of Thunder. I am instantly enchanted with him when he is SO happy he lost a fight that he is actually excited to yield. And him being impressed with sovereigns shows that Young Thor has very different values than our Thor. And the way he says "Thorry" with his tongue hanging out was hilarious. That being said, I had a very unhappy reaction to him wanting to name the adventure. It made me realize the writers had been totally ripping off the persona of Aquaman from Batman: The Brave And The Bold the entire time. Thor turning into a frog and needing to be kissed back makes me forgive it. But I might not have realized it was a rip-off at all if he hadn't tried to name the adventure at the end.

I'm am bothered that like last week, T'Challa is not moved by what he saw about the earlier part of a friend's life. For Captain America, I was angry he didn't show regret. Here I was angry he wasn't amused by Thor. The flashbacks not containing T'Challa fixes a lot of problems that them doing a time travel episode instead would create. But what's the point of putting the other Avengers in the story if it doesn't affect T'Challa at all, or isn't something he thinks is worth mentioning? Thor being turned into a frog is the definition of a "funny story". It is comment worthy. The fact that T'Challa doesn't think so means the producers centered the entire season around a character who is actually a total drip. What a downer at parties T'Challa must be. Did you know feline AIDS is the number one killer of domestic cats? Meow! Meow!

I liked the flashback much more than the wraparounds set in the present. ***1/2.

Frontier

Staff member
I love Thor. I love Frog of Thunder. I am instantly enchanted with him when he is SO happy he lost a fight that he is actually excited to yield. And him being impressed with sovereigns shows that Young Thor has very different values than our Thor. And the way he says "Thorry" with his tongue hanging out was hilarious. That being said, I had a very unhappy reaction to him wanting to name the adventure. It made me realize the writers had been totally ripping off the persona of Aquaman from Batman: The Brave And The Bold the entire time. Thor turning into a frog and needing to be kissed back makes me forgive it. But I might not have realized it was a rip-off at all if he hadn't tried to name the adventure at the end.
The sovereign thing was weird for me because I didn't really get why Thor would be so worked up about Midgard currency unless he'd "gone native" :confused:.

BlackoutCreature

And was the word "awesome" even invented back then :confused:?
Believe it or not this was one of the first things I looked up after I watched this episode. As near as I can tell the word first started getting used in the 1590's in reference to ships that were so large "they inspired awe". So if TheLemsterPju is right about this taking place in the 1600's then it could be plausibly contemporaneous.

Spotlight

Staff online

Latest profile posts

Happy 30th Anniversary to Nintendo Game Boy!
From what I heard, Lincoln Loud and the Ninja Turtles were supposed to appear during this year's KCA, but their scenes were cut for time. If anyone somehow has those clips, please post them for all of us to see. Oh, and Happy Easter!
Happy Easter! Hope everyone has a lovely (warm) spring day with their families.
I don't know if anyone's said this, but Happy Easter!