Avengers: Black Panther's Quest "The Vibranium Curtain, Parts 1-2" Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate and Discuss this "Avengers Assemble" episode!

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • ****1/2

Votes: 0 0.0%

• ***1/2

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • **1/2

• *1/2

• 1/2

• Total voters

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Avengers: Black Panther's Quest returns tonight on Disney XD, with two episodes starting at 9:00PM ET!

NtouNqC.png
Marvel's Avengers: Black Panther's Quest "The Vibranium Curtain, Part 1"
Episode Debut - January 6th, 2019

Black Panther devises a plan to get the information he needs, but he isn't the only one with a plan.

Marvel's Avengers: Black Panther's Quest "The Vibranium Curtain, Part 2"
Episode Debut - January 6th, 2019

Captured by his enemies, Black Panther must break out of prison with an unlikely ally.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

brodie999

The Captain America funeral scene of Part 1 was really one of the darkest and saddest moments of the series. It was nice seeing Winter Soldier show up here. Cap's "murder" reminded him about what happens when enemies "kill' his best friend. He was even willing to kill Black Panther before Iron Man talked him out of it.

Part 2 officially destroyed everything that made the continuity of the so-supposed Marvel Animated Universe. Again, Spider-Man and Vulture were retooled to look like their Marvel's Spider-Man counterparts. This makes me wonder if they now resembled their MCU counterparts instead, especially since Marvel and Sony co-produced Spider-Man: Homecoming and Far From Home set in the MCU.

The MAU is now officially screwed up to the point where it can't be fixed.

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
I'm mixed on this two-parter. It was generally exciting, the action scenes are well done (Ant-Man surprised me with how good he looked), and even some of the dialogue between the fighters could be good. Also, Klaue is a fun villain.

I just wish this didn't all revolve around a dumb hero vs hero plot that could be resolved if characters would just listen.

TheLemsterPju

The Captain America funeral scene of Part 1 was really one of the darkest and saddest moments of the series. It was nice seeing Winter Soldier show up here. Cap's "murder" reminded him about what happens when enemies "kill' his best friend. He was even willing to kill Black Panther before Iron Man talked him out of it.

Part 2 officially destroyed everything that made the continuity of the so-supposed Marvel Animated Universe. Again, Spider-Man and Vulture were retooled to look like their Marvel's Spider-Man counterparts. This makes me wonder if they now resembled their MCU counterparts instead, especially since Marvel and Sony co-produced Spider-Man: Homecoming and Far From Home set in the MCU.

The MAU is now officially screwed up to the point where it can't be fixed.

Here's my fix: The Beyonder brought over some individuals from MSM's world (not only through space but through time) and merged parts of it with AA/USM/Hulk's world. There's two Spidey's on this world, but I think USM's is retired. (Erasing USM entirely would be one of the dumbest things Marvel could EVER do with any of their continuities.)

MY GUESS. You don't have to agree, but it's the only logical explanation I got.
It's super duper convoluted, but I'm going off of what Harrison Wilcox's own theory about the Beyonder merging both worlds and building from that.

Last edited:

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
I do like that Trevor Devall is making more of a name for himself as a writer.

Loverofcomix

Um...why does Vulture want revenge on T'Challa? He's just...there. :oops:

I have a theory that "Season 4, Episode 25 – All Things Must End" was the final episode of Avengers Assemble, and season 5 takes place in the 2017 Marvel spider-man universe. I like to think the show ended when they defeated The Beyonder.

Funny how Peter/Ock (SPOck) is nowhere in sight when the Avengers are fighting sea monsters. You would think Spider-Ock would try to help giving his ego. ;)

Edit: I commented before watching the entire part 2 episode. Sorry about that.

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
So were those Wakandan-made Iron Man suits that T'Challa was training with or re-appropriated Stark tech? I feel like it's going to be a bruise to Tony's ego either way :sweat:.

I liked Shuri bringing up Wakandan concerns about T'Challa's actions and the effect they have on the governing body of Wakanda, although it still feels like this show is ignoring a lot of the internal Wakandan society and politics that I wish we saw more of :(.

Ant-Man showing up was a nice surprise. I guess he and T'Challa kind of bonded last season, not that I think it mattered much in their interaction here. His characterization was a lot more awkward and softer compared to his depiction last season, and definitely not as jokey, although I thought it worked here. His costume seemed to be more like Eric O'Grady's Black Ant costume then a Scott Lang suit though, which kind of made him look more like a villain. Also, did they forget Scott is a redhead :confused:?

Did anyone miss Wasp being around? Or with Ant-Man? Anyone? Anyone :rolleyes:?

Even T'Challa points out how Black Widow is acting out-of-character. It's almost like she could be...someone else :rolleyes2: ?

I love how the show finally remembered Bucky exists but then ended up recasting him a second time. Although Matt Lanter/Anakin Skywalker as the Winter Solider is kind of hilarious when you think about it, and I thought he did a pretty good job in the role here :cool:.

I also thought it was amusing to see a doggedly determined Winter Solider hunting down Black Panther as the presumed murdered of a loved one since that's a complete reversal of their dynamic in Civil War. I also liked T'Challa focused on protecting civilians from Bucky, especially since there's no way Steve would have approved of all that collateral damage :mad: .

You gotta give Tony credit. T'Challa consistently out-thinks and overpowers him but he still keeps coming. That's Iron Man for you :).

Well, he couldn't get the location in-time and he couldn't outrun Iron Man and Winter Soldier, so I guess getting captured and sent to the same prison as his target works out just fine. Unless T'Challa planned it the whole time, which is entirely possible ;).

Oh look, Crossbones with his MCU scarred face and the same blue prison garb for the Vault as in The Raft from Civil War. Although the former made Crossbones look like discount Two-Face :p.

So Killmonger is after the "Heart of Wakanda?" I wonder if that means the plan was always to bring the Crown to Wakanda? Which actually makes a lot of sense :eek:.

I thought Spider-Man and his show's world was used pretty well in this guest-spot. His and Toomes' characterization were fairly on-point, and I thought they were depicted very fairly against the Black Panther characters, and I liked the connection Peter and T'Challa formed at the end of the episode over their shared misunderstood circumstances and Peter going with his gut in letting Panther go with Klaw. With the show still on break it was also nice to get to hear Robbie Daymond's Spidey again :anime:.

I'm trying to figure out where this episode might fit in Marvel's Spider-Man continuity. Peter is obviously connected with Iron Man now, so it's post-"Stark Expo," but Vulture wasn't in prison around that time. I'm guessing it has to be after the Sinister Six and before Doc Ock destroyed Modell's statue during the season 1 finale :confused:.

Man, Max Modell really doesn't run a very secure school facility. I mean, I guess he can't help that Toomes helped design his security system, but after Toomes went bad Max probably should have thought about changing the security codes to the backdoor (unless he didn't know about it). On-top of the fact that Toomes had his Vulture gear and Vibranium hidden in the school the whole time. Really dropping the ball Max :yawn:.

I loved how Spidey never once bought Vulture's act about being a hero :tweety:.
Here's my fix: The Beyonder merged MSM's world (not only through space but through time) with AA/USM/Hulk's world. There's two Spidey's on this world, but I think USM's is retired. (Erasing USM entirely would be one of the dumbest things Marvel could EVER do with any of their continuities.)
I don't think Marvel is erasing USM entirely when they're uploading full episodes of it on their cartoon-orientied Youtube channel, it's just no longer intended to be in-continuity with the currently running Marvel cartoons.
I do like that Trevor Devall is making more of a name for himself as a writer.
I thought that was cool too. He wrote an earlier episode of this season right? I also think he wrote a Guardians episode too, but I might be thinking of Will Friedle...

Loverofcomix

I loved how Spidey never once bought Vulture's act about being a hero :tweety:.

I don't quite get this version of Toomes. Does he actually believe his own [mess]? At first I thought Toomes was lying to save his own skin. I think this nutcase truly believes he is a noble hero to the city. :rolleyes:

What was his plan after breaking out of prison? Kill bad guys (assuming he thinks he's a good guy)? Rob stuff?

Mod Note: Language.

Last edited by a moderator:

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
I thought that was cool too. He wrote an earlier episode of this season right? I also think he wrote a Guardians episode too, but I might be thinking of Will Friedle...
I remember Devall wrote "The Immortal Weapon", from the previous Season of Avengers (co-incidentally another episode that focused on Black Panther).

TheLemsterPju

I don't quite get this version of Toomes. Does he actually believe his own [mess]? At first I thought Toomes was lying to save his own skin. I think this nutcase truly believes he is a noble hero to the city. :rolleyes:

What was his plan after breaking out of prison? Kill bad guys (assuming he thinks he's a good guy)? Rob stuff?

Theory #2: I assume that since he's now on an Earth that doesn't recognize him as the Vulture (aside from MSM Spidey), he thinks he can get away with doing that and make a name for himself in a twisted way. Who knows how he ended up in The Vault though if that's the case...

Frontier

Staff member

Mod Note: Language.
It's consistent with Toomes' characterization that he's extremely full of himself and hates being regarded as a criminal, so I can see him honestly thinking he could trick Spider-Man and spin that situation to his advantage.

I think his main plan was getting his suit back.

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
Trevor has only written for this series so far. The four shows Will has written for are Girl Meets World (since he's reprising his Boy Meets World role), Teen Titans Go (since he voices Kid Flash), and both Thundercats 2011 and Transformers Robots In Disguise 2015 (since he voices the lead character in both shows).

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
It's funny that when the show's at its best, the Avengers can manage to be a big heap of stupid. Is the big statue of Max weird to anyone else?

Last edited:

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Marvel's Avengers Black Panther's Quest "The Vibranium Curtain: Part One"

"Amazing. Everything you just said is wrong."

--Luke Skywalker. I would amend to the writers of this episode that everything they just WROTE was wrong. I cannot believe I was impressed with the earlier part of the season. This made SO many mistakes, especially regarding how Black Panther treated and was treated by the Avengers.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Black Panther is the leader of a sovereign nation. One with the best military on the Earth. The rules of bringing him in are different than a supervillain. And you'd think since the writers decided to center the entire damn season around him, they'd know that. Frankly, the thing that's inexcusable is that if they DID play it that way, that would be infinitely messier, and automatically more interesting. This is just cliched nonsense.

Can you believe Bucky actually has to be convinced that he shouldn't murder T'Challa? And Tony's argument is that it isn't what Cap would have wanted. Seriously? No, the argument is assassinating the King of Wakanda would lead to World War III. And it's never brought up once.

And what, Tony just puts T'Challa in the Vault and says "Have a nice life"? Are they serious? He's the leader of Wakanda. They will not only want to have a trial, but a public trial to assure both nations they have the right man. I was actually annoyed with T'Challa's actions all throughout the episode. Everyone offered him the chance to surrender, and work everything out. And considering his entire Kingdom is in the crossfire of this misunderstanding, it's actually a smart move. Until they go all Patriot Act on his ass and do a little unlawful rendition. I was looking forward to T'Challa being captured, because then we could actually sit down and figure out what was wrong with Natasha and Bucky. And it's like the series instead turns this outrageous mistake into a supposed Xanatos Gambit of the way T'Challa figures out how to talk to Klaw. It's stupid. It's badly written. It's garbage.

I think the thing I resented most in the episode was the training session. Everything Shuri said was true, and since it was, it means T'Challa is a crap king, and Shuri SHOULD challenge him for the crown. She's all "You haven't spoken to the people yet to reassure them there won't be war, or that if there is, we'll prevail." I was like "He hasn't? After all this time? Seriously?" This dude needs to go. Now. He's literally a worse leader than Trump if that specific thing is true. And since it apparently is, he needs to be deposed immediately. He sucks.

There was one nice touch in the episode that I would be remiss to acknowledge. I loved Natasha telling Thor to let it rain. What's especially provocative is that this insightful moment is given to a character the audience suspects is either an impostor, or being mind-controlled. I like that they gave that to Natasha while we aren't sure. It's a very ambiguous scene because you aren't sure how to feel about it.

But it is literally the only thing I liked. Everything else was hot garbage. 1/2.

Marvel's Avengers Black Panther's Quest "The Vibranium Curtain: Part Two"

There is no denying Spider-Man makes things better. Maybe not his own current crappy show, but this crappy show anyways.

Gee, Tooms, do you know the REAL reason Spider-Man should have known you were lying? He kept subtly changing his innocent story after each misstep he makes. Innocent people don't have to do that. Frankly, I found T'Challa talking to Klaw about their deal within earshot of Spidey quite incriminating, but then T'Challa does what he should have been doing the entire time, and REASONS with Spider-Man, and tries to work it out. And you know what? It was actually successful. I don't get why T'Challa is making this so hard for everyone else. Outside of the saving people thing, he isn't acting like an innocent man at all.

Definitely better than the first part, but that isn't saying much. ***.

Loverofcomix

I don't know much about the Winter Soldier, but was he always this reckless? He doesn't care if he injure/kill civilians as long as he get his target. Captain America would not be cool with this.

Btw, am I the only one who cringed when Ulysses Klaue said T'Challa had money, tech, and good looks? That line felt so awkward to me. That would be like if Penguin admitting to his goons that Batman is handsome, powerful, and brilliant.

As much as I'm loving this season, there are times it feels like I am watching a Hollywood movie written by the hero himself. It's like T'Challa told a Klaue actor to say that line. :p

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Why didn’t Spider-Man lie to Iron Man, saying he got away?
Because Spider-Man's unfailingly honest, even to his own detriment. I would have done the same thing, especially considering T'Challa pointed out to Spidey that he was considered a public menace too.
I don't know much about the Winter Soldier, but was he always this reckless? He doesn't care if he injure/kill civilians as long as he get his target. Captain America would not be cool with this.
There is something wrong with both Bucky and Natasha right now. I suspect mind control.
Btw, am I the only one who cringed when Ulysses Klaue said T'Challa had money, tech, and good looks? That line felt so awkward to me. That would be like if Penguin admitting to his goons that Batman is handsome, powerful, and brilliant.

As much as I'm loving this season, there are times it feels like I am watching a Hollywood movie written by the hero himself. It's like T'Challa told a Klaue actor to say that line. :p
This season is entirely too invested in telling us how awesome Black Panther is. It almost seems to have a chip on its shoulder about it.

Loverofcomix

Because Spider-Man's unfailingly honest, even to his own detriment. I would have done the same thing, especially considering T'Challa pointed out to Spidey that he was considered a public menace too.
There is something wrong with both Bucky and Natasha right now. I suspect mind control.
This season is entirely too invested in telling us how awesome Black Panther is. It almost seems to have a chip on its shoulder about it.

By the way, where the heck is Nick Fury and S.H.I.E.L.D in all of this?! You would think Nick would be interested in capturing a rogue ex-avenger who just "murdered" one of america's greatest super heroes. In fact, every super hero in New York would be after T'Challa, not just the Avengers. An angry Hulk is a lot scarier than an angry Thor.

I'm going to assume Killmonger told Zanda (posing as Black Widow) to stay at Avengers Tower with Ant-Man for...some reason. Either that, or she REALLY loves being Black Widow. She succeeded in turning the Avengers against T'Challa. Why stick around? Mission accomplished, right?

Last edited:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

as a survivor of childhood trauma, I I wish everyone would leave Amanda Bynes alone. she owes us nothing, and I hope she's doing as well as she can possibly be right now.
I think most people are very upset and lamenting the fact that Nickelodeon (NOT including preschool shows nor nick@nite) aren't having regular new episodes since after Transformers: EarthSpark finished the season.

Let's hope we get new promos during watching Sonic the Hedgehog 2 tomorrow night.

I knew about the promotional cans but I'm just seeing this ad for the first time. I love seeing Daredevil pushed by Marvel.
Notable moment from The Rock.
The time when Gunther spoke Dutch in Friends.

Featured Posts