SweetShop209

SG-17

I am very excited about this. More Avatar from Bryke that is animated. Can't go wrong.

I had said a few months ago that Nick putting ATLA on Netflix and re-airing the show on Nick and Nicktoons was 100% a way to gauge interest in new animated works.

Last edited:

RainbowCupcake

Finish your dessert and like it!!!
I guess Nick is trying to turn Avatar into a franchise like Star Wars or MCU.

Sounds cool, but...how much is too much?

I'd be fine with shows inspired by Avatar/Korra, but having sequel after sequel might take the magic and spark out of the original shows. Not trying to put a damper on what sounds like cool news for fans, I'm just looking at the announcement from another angle.

Last edited:

SG-17

I'd be fine with shows inspired by Avatar/Korra, but having sequel after sequel make take the magic and spark out of the original shows. Not trying to put a damper on what sounds like cool news for fans, I'm just looking at the announcement from another angle.
I don't think so. The World of Avatar has limitless potential for stories.

Mostezli

N0t 4 3very1 & Th@t'$ OK

It is inspired quite heavily, blatantly by Star Wars and the lore makes it so that you could have a show/movie/miniseries focused on totally new or previously established characters. Heck, pull a Clone Wars and maybe develop Legend of Korra further by going into those characters they introduced for the first time for one season and completely forgot about them the next. Or do something with the classic characters as adults.

Rhaynebow

I'd be fine with shows inspired by Avatar/Korra, but having sequel after sequel make take the magic and spark out of the original shows. Not trying to put a damper on what sounds like cool news for fans, I'm just looking at the announcement from another angle.

Super mega unpopular take, but I’m kinda tired of Avatar. NOT saying it wasn’t a monumental hit, in fact it was a huge inspiration for me as a creator, but I was hoping that Mike and Bryan would have tried making stuff outside of the Avatar Universe. They put in a lot of effort to make this show, so they clearly know how to do the research on world building. And I’ve yet to find another show that went this deep into making their world feel believable. I would’ve loved to see what other worlds they could’ve created, but it’s right back to the world of Avatar and I feel like they’ve put all of their eggs into this one basket that got lucky it premiered during the Anime Boom and when action cartoons could be ACTION cartoons and not slice-of-life with some actiony bits like so many current “action” cartoons are.

I mean, I wish them all of the luck in the world, but I still would’ve wanted to see them leave their comfort zone over this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
Honestly I'm with SG-17 on this; there is really limitless possibilities you can do with the Avatar story. And if you aren't convinced by this by the graphic novels (which some actually have been really good... I admit the Katara pirate one was pretty middling but most of the trilogies have been solid) you would certainly see that reading the Kyoshi books as yeah you could do plenty of series and specials based a lot on what the previous Avatars went through especially since only a fair amount of their stories have been told. Even with the Avatars we do know about outside of Aang and Korra (namely Roku, Kyoshi, Kuruk and Yangchen) there's plenty of tales to tell with them I'd want to see more of. And yeah it is clear Nick wants to set up their own sort of sprawling universe seen with Marvel and Star Wars that you really can't get with a Spongebob but... what's wrong with that? Shows like the Mandalorian have reinvigorated people's love for the franchise and honestly Avatar in terms of it's world building has more potential to tell even more stories so I'm all for more being done.

I do wonder though why try and launch a theatrical animated movie instead of like a streaming series or special. Like I'm down for a GOOD Avatar movie in theaters, you know one done actually overseen by the team behind the original series, but especially right now seems weird that would be their first move. Especially since what story could they start with for an animated movie to appease to fans while also attracting a large audience for a theatrical viewing? Guess we'll see when they reveal details about that but still exited about this idea overall.

Last edited:

SG-17

Korra was already pretty adult, but they could potentially do a Samurai Jack Season 5 type adult action cartoon.

AdrenalineRush1996

I'm happy about the news since there's infinite possibilites on expanding the Avatarverse beyond the comics and I'm all for it.

Light Lucario

Staff member
This was a nice surprise. Given how huge Avatar was for Netflix last year, I figured that it was pretty likely for some new Avatar content besides the live action series to happen, but a whole studios dedicated to the franchise with a theatrical movie on the way is pretty huge. They must have a lot of faith for the series to do well, which makes sense after how its Netflix release basically created an Avatar renaissance.

Personally, I'm pretty happy with this. I do think that there is a lot they could do with the Avatar universe. They can adapt the comics set between The Last Airbender and Korra, they could adapt the Korra comics set after the series, they could expand on some of the past Avatars or they could actually showcase the world further into the future. There are a lot of different directions they can go with this Avatar Studios. With the lore of the series in mind and all of the world building that they've already established in previous series, I think that there is potential to keep expanding the series without making it stale. I'm certainly curious where they'll take the series from this point forward.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

#releasethechriswedgecut (you know, the directors cut of robots that Chris Wedge hinted)
No matter what they write, there will be plenty of comments about irony.

I wish a happy birthday to Tress MacNeille and John Goodman.

Featured Posts