Votes: 0 0.0%
  • F

Votes: 3 25.0%

• Total voters

Chad Bonin

a.k.a. Knux Five
Staff member
Reporter
In the year 2000, a brilliant scientist created the ultimate machine: a thinking, feeling robot with the power to save the world. Now, Earth's only hope against evil is a little boy with superpowers and the soul of a hero. Toonami presents the most legendary animé series of all time, reborn: Osamu Tezuka's Astro Boy!

Despite winning it's timeslot on Kids' WB, the broadcast station decided to pull it for a temporary leave. Cartoon Network swoops in and begins airing the series today. We don't know how far it goes, we can assume that it's the Kids' WB-edited edition, and we DO know it's kicking SD Gundam off the schedule.

Episodes Airing This Week, Thanks to Kaiser
Episode 1: Power Up
Episode 2: Rocket Ball
Episode 3: Destinstion Deimos
Episode 4: Into Thin Air

trunkschan90

Lover of Trunks plushies ^___^
I missed the first episode when it premiered on the WB, this time I'm not going to miss it :p

Kaiser0120

Episode 1 - Power Up

Episode 2 - Rocket Ball

Episode 3 - Destinstion Deimos

Episode 4 - Into Thin Air

I believe they're showing the episodes in order this time around. ^_^

lostrune

Detective Rachel
Knux Five said:
In the year 2000, a brilliant scientist created the ultimate machine: a thinking, feeling robot with the power to save the world.

Well, if you're going by the manga, Astroboy was supposedly built on 2003 (that's why they had that celebration last year at that Japanese town where Tezuka had Astroboy born). Of course, that was back in the 1960s.

I'm not sure in the new anime, but it's sometime in our future. And Astroboy may have the power, but he wasn't exactly built to save the world (spoilerage). :D

Kaiser0120 said:
Episode 1 - Power Up

Episode 2 - Rocket Ball

Episode 3 - Destinstion Deimos

Episode 4 - Into Thin Air

I believe they're showing the episodes in order this time around. ^_^

Yep. Otherwise, Ep #3 would've been about Astroboy's background and Atlas (originally Ep #6), as it was on KidsWB.

If anyone cares to check out, we had those KidsWB Astroboy talkbacks in, I believe, the Anime Forum.

PaQ

Believe it!
I think I'll tape the show and watch it later today.. See if the show is worth the hype KWB gave it before it aired over there..

Hopefully it's good.

PearlRose86

Full Moon wo Sagashite
I didn't watch these episodes when they originally aired on Kids' WB, but I will check them out now, if only for the sole reason that it's replacing SD Gundam. ^^

-Maggie

Chad Bonin

a.k.a. Knux Five
Staff member
Reporter

The promo says 2000, I say 2000.

Well, yeah, there are those talkbacks, but in one week, Toonami's airing more episodes then Kids' WB did at all...

Duke

Truer Words Were Never Spoken
I'm still waiting for a cool 1:30 promo, but I guess it won't be coming since Astro Boy is temporary. Damn.

And technically, Kids' WB! showed 4 episodes as well before taking it off the air (Episode 1 & 2, then the Altas 2-parter).

MattThomasM2B

The End Is Here.
Well......

After watching the opening on TDA, I can add it to the list of cool openings that most people will never see.

It doesn't have the Kids WB opening,(assuming a different one was made for the USA) but that's okay, because I bet it was stupid. Much like the American pokemon intros are stupid compared to the japanese versions.

Now let's hope that this Kids WB version doesn't suck. (Because then I'd have to hope for a good version on DVD)

Duke

MattThomasM2B said:
After watching the opening on TDA, I can add it to the list of cool openings that most people will never see.

It doesn't have the Kids WB opening,(assuming a different one was made for the USA) but that's okay, because I bet it was stupid. Much like the American pokemon intros are stupid compared to the japanese versions.

Now let's hope that this Kids WB version doesn't suck. (Because then I'd have to hope for a good version on DVD)
Much like MegaMan and Yu-Gi-Oh! (aka Rurouni Kenshin without fake religion and philisophical swordplay and with Egyptian crap), the American intro is a techno music montage. It's not very memorable and is standard KWB fare. However, it is notable because at the very end it features the Japanese logo, then it does a spark transition to reveal the U.S. logo.

MattThomasM2B

The End Is Here.

What they did for Rockman EXE's opening should be considered a crime against humanity. But I digress.

30 minutes until Astro Boy.

Anime Guy

grunge music enthusiast
PearlRose86 said:
I didn't watch these episodes when they originally aired on Kids' WB, but I will check them out now, if only for the sole reason that it's replacing SD Gundam. ^^
That's about why I'm checking it out too. Kids WB is just on too early for me to catch.:sweat:

UberMonkey

Pointin' is kinda rude, pal.
Knux Five said:
Huh. Nice music for the intro.

Yea, it's definetely peppy.

EDIT: Really a shame it's edited like this. It seems obvious in a lot of scenes that this is meant to be in widescreen, and the commercial breaks with no commercials are sorta lame.

Chad Bonin

a.k.a. Knux Five
Staff member
Reporter

I can see how the "Million Bucks an Episode" budget was utilized... but is anyone else bugged by how dark/grainy the footage is? Seems like it's from the early '90s, not 2003.

Duke

I love how the CG is in this series. Best I've seen in a TV series since Futurama.

Wow. They put the commercial break early. Reminds me of Season 3/4 DBZ.

I want a transforming egg toy!

I wonder if Magneton is somewhere around here?

I love the Detective's nose & mustache, it friggin rocks. Nothing like having a nose in the shape of a brush!

Love the sense of depth in the show.

Y'know, all these shows with hovercars make me want one even more. Where's our hovercars, Bush!?

As he proves in a few episodes, Tenma friggin rocks. As does his VA.

Gotta love the robots in this series. They remind me of the fire robots from Metropolis. Or something out of MegaMan.

One thing I don't like about the dub is that they make Astro too tough. His facial expression doesn't match "This is your last warning! Stop or else!"

That's different, the overloaded machine doesn't get destroyed. ^_^

And yet another plus to being on Toonami: No squished credits.

MattThomasM2B

The End Is Here.

The animation was great.

The music was lame.

I have the feeling that they screwed with Astro Boy's dialogue to make him more joky and jerky.

B-

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Here's my review of Barbie And Stacie To The Rescue in honor of Cassandra Lee Morris's birthday.
so, with primal screen going down, I wonder how that affected Cartoon Network since they using that studio to do the bumpers for years now, are they going to start working with the animation studio who did the bumpers for adult swim now
It is now officially 20 years since I joined here.
I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!

Featured Posts