AS Losing Nearly All of their Fox Shows

• Enter to win a $100 or a $50 gift code to FUN.com. Details here.

Latest News & Videos

I.R. Shokew

HAIL NEO ARCADIA!
Sep 26, 2011
Neo Arcadia, USA
Experimental programming just doesn't have the novelty it used to. [as] needs to focus on producing "accessible" shows instead of appealing to a niche audience if they want to survive.
They need to just hire people who can draw and produce shows at a more frequent pace; Venture Bros. Being the best example; don't get me started on R&M, even if that show looks like trash... There's No excuse for these long hiatuses on what can be considered quality products here, really.

Reactions: Radical Buster

Nexonius

Ten, count em', ten years!
Jun 28, 2007
Earth Two
Hell, even the stoner comedies took year or two year long breaks and they were cheap 11 minute series. Robot Chicken, a stop motion show nonetheless, is an exception though even that show has new episodes consistently every year.

Last edited:

Checkerboard

THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS
May 25, 2010
Cartoon Headquarters
I mean, to be fair, they ventured into various side/spinoff projects since the show debuted over the years, but it's quite clear they didn't expect it to become so big and didn't have a longterm plan to begin with. I remember when it came out. It was this underground cult series almost nobody knew about. Then season two came and all of a sudden overnight boom and by season three it became so mainstream that it got somewhat annoying. It was everywhere. It reminded me a lot of the Simpsons. Basically a similar sell out, just burning fuel more quickly. Or Big Bang Theory and any other live sitcom that doesn't know when to stop. Now they suddenly have plans for seven more seasons? Well, great. I'm curious how many of those episodes will actually make sense and be decent. Like, I get it. It's 2019 and we're basically living on Planet Promo and the content won't go anywhere, but come on. You can entertain a thought only so much.

Radical Buster

That's too much, man!
Feb 3, 2018
Gazelle City
Hell, even the stoner comedies took year or two year long breaks and they were cheap 11 minute series. Robot Chicken, a stop motion show nonetheless, is an exception though even that show has new episodes consistently every year.
I don't get this. [as]'s stoner comedies don't even look particularly hard to make. Do they not give deadlines at all?

Reactions: Fone Bone

Zorak Masaki

May 6, 2002
Visit site
Maybe they should pick up Minty Lewis's "Bottom's Butte" show. From the pilot, it looked more like an AS show anyway, and while it wasnt the best pilot, it did show potential, plus, having Minty's name attached might interest some of the Regular Show fanbase.

Reactions: I.R. Shokew

Nexonius

Ten, count em', ten years!
Jun 28, 2007
Earth Two
Maybe they should pick up Minty Lewis's "Bottom's Butte" show. From the pilot, it looked more like an AS show anyway, and while it wasnt the best pilot, it did show potential, plus, having Minty's name attached might interest some of the Regular Show fanbase.
She's working with the Bob's Burgers writers on a new Fox animated series.

kianworld

CN Schedule Archiver
Oct 19, 2015
Feel like we didn't know it at the time, but Rick and Morty getting a 70 episode order was probably a reaction to what they knew was coming.

Reactions: Blipsy

PF9

Jul 9, 2008
Ohio
I wonder how the South Park creators feel about a Family Guy spinoff being on their home network?

They have voiced their displeasure with Family Guy on numerous occasions. So you'd think they'd try to block CC's acquisition of The Cleveland Show.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Framingham, MA
I wonder how the South Park creators feel about a Family Guy spinoff being on their home network?

They have voiced their displeasure with Family Guy on numerous occasions. So you'd think they'd try to block CC's acquisition of The Cleveland Show.
Are you serious? How could they block it?

• Agree
Reactions: MegasMilo379

JTOONSAnimation

Jul 24, 2016
Maybe AS will find another place to acquire shows, like from Hulu or Netflix. I know they acquired "SuperMansion" briefly from Crackle.

M622

Sep 28, 2011
Merrick ny
[AS] has become a failed experiment, as it is... It needs all the help it can get. And just airing anime alone isn't gonna help. I would prefer to see more NEW Western Animation with actual merit to it, thank you very much; shows that actually appeal to everyone, not just stoners who wouldn't know a good cartoon if it him them in their stoned-out faces, honestly.
oh come on, I wouldn't describe AS as a "failed experiment" considering that compared to any basic cable network with their demographic (looking at you,MTV) adult swim is kicking it with their content at the moment. (i would take any stoner cartoon over a trashy jersy shore clone anyday.) and like it or not, not everyone who watches the channel is a stoner. Look, with shows with rick and morty, Venture brothers, Genndy tardakofkys upcoming AS series and the chrunchyroll partnership (lets put it this way, promised neverland has a dub that aired on toonami months after the season fully aired in japan), and Blade runner:black lotus, The channel is doing fine (At the moment.) That being said, the channel losing the fox shows soon will be a problem for them when the time comes. (like it or not, the syndacated stuff is one of the higest rated stuff out there.). Getting rid of adventure time was a bad move IMO. they need all the content they can get if they with to keep the 8-10 time slot. and if they cant? fine. CN can use the space for more original programming and premires. It could be worse, (and this is highly unlikey) CN could go 24/7, with as being related to a streaming service dumped on....THAT is a sign AS has failed. Right now? No, not really.

wonderfly

Is this the future?!?
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 22, 2002
Springfield, MO
Hmm, I always considered the now defunct "G4" to be the "MTV of the 2000's"...I guess I had just viewed "Adult Swim" in the 2000's" to be the replacement for the 90's Sci-Fi channel (but that was mostly in regards to anime).

Yeah, I guess the comedy animation on Adult Swim was low budget "MTV" type stuff as well.