Are Harvey Beaks and The Loud House the anti Sanjay and Craig and Breadwinners?

Latest News & Videos

TheMisterManGuy

Oct 23, 2014
Nick's two newest shows. Harvey Beaks and The Loud House have been resonating well with critics and audiences, and have been consistently doing well in ratings, even beating SpongeBob a few times. This seems like a stark contrast to Nick's previous animated pair. Sanjay and Craig and Breadwinners. Both shows which were panned by critics (Breadwinners more so, since Sanjay and Craig is more mediocre than outright bad), have gotten lackluster ratings, are ending fairly soon.

To me, Harvey Beaks and The Loud House feel like genuine throwbacks to the classic Nickelodeon style. Meanwhile, S&J and Breadwinners feel like shallow parodies of it. So what do you think?

Last edited:

kanc

Sep 9, 2013
Sanjay and Craig used to do well in ratings for first season, and first half of second season back in 2013-2014, and because of the change in timeslots and long hiatus, ratings had been down, along with Breadwinners.

Breadwinners used to do decent from its start but ratings dropped in 2015 with Sunday night premieres. In other words, Sunday night premieres were the cause for low ratings, except Harvey Beaks.

jaylop97

Staff member
Oct 5, 2014
Austin, Texas
To me they really do feel like remade versions of the former, yet Nick is doing anything right now just to get more viewers.

Freav

BeakFreav
Oct 16, 2015
These are very strong shows that are helping the quality of the network,while the other shows (BW & S&C) are pretty mediocre (like most of modern nick) but I don't see such a strong relation to call them the "Anti-Breadwinners/Sanjay & Craig" (plus, S&C and BW really aren't the only mediocre modern nicktoons). But I do get your point, these 2 newer shows are really good.
(I also have to say that these aren't the 2 newest nicktoons since PGBC came after Harvey Beaks, but I really don't like that one)

rockorockorocko

Nov 7, 2012
United States
I think the newer SBSP, TMNT, AatC, HB and TLH make a VERY nice core group of Nicktoons. Not a fan of PGBC, but it'll apparently be around too and gives Nick ONE gross-out toon, so that's fine.

I didn't think BW was absolute trash... but it had some nice elements. I loved the vibrant/kinetic animation. Also some of the music was catchy. I even felt RI had it's own charm.

However, I am a huge fan of SJC. I still can't believe how much hate the show has gotten, because overall, it has a lot of heart. I still remember "The Giving G" being an absolute gem in dealing with the loss of a love one. If anyone thinks the show only relies on gross out humor, I encourage them to see this episode. Maybe it's just me, but it's an actual tear-jerker.

BW, RI, and SJC all had weeks where they won K2-11... *sigh. Anyway...

chum_chum

Jun 11, 2014
I think with Harvey and Loud House Nick tried to create cartoons for a cult following (just like few examples on CN and DXD) and not exclusivelly for 2-11 audience, like they did with Breadwinners and Rabbids. Even tho, IMHO, it's one of the best Nicktoons ever, Harvey ended up being almost unnoticed by everyone, thanks for bad promo/scheduling. But with the Loud House they actually did a perfect job, the show has both stellar ratings and a strong fan-following that started even before the official premiere. I hope they can cross-promote the second season of HB with TLH and give this show the magical 5PM timeslot, because It will be very sad if a comfy little world like this will end with only 2 seasons
IA with rockorockorocko about Sanjay and Craig, I think the show will be remembered as classic in 10 years, when current crowd of kids will grow up. Yes, the fart humour is not for everyone, but the characters are very well-written.

Reactions: Zanneck
May 20, 2016
Both are good shows for Modern Nick, granted. But HB is not doing well on ratings, and Nick barely shows reruns or even airs episodes (the hiatus ends next month, but I saw almost all of the remaining season 1 episodes already). I fer that the show might get cancelled because of that. TLH is doing pretty well on ratings, so I don't see it being treated poorly too. However, its first month isn't over yet and we have yet to know what the show will do in the future.

May 20, 2016
There is a whole new season

Some international Nick network showed them earlier?
I don't know if they aired on television as I never saw them there, but iTunes France added almost all the remaining episodes in the season. Only 2 episodes are missing, but someone saw them airing in his country, but it's another country. That person probably also saw the season 2 premiere, which is a 44 minutes long TV movie. That's all I know for now.

rockorockorocko

Nov 7, 2012
United States
Regarding HB ratings, it came when Nick - and all three kid networks - were in the limbo of trying to find how to premiere and air shows with the change in the viewing patterns of kids. It's pretty bad nowadays and ratings are down across the board, but in all honesty, Nick has held pretty well. CN's drop has been minor, Disney is pretty horrible.

With that said, AatC on premieres and SBSP on reruns began to show that 5pm is probably Nick's BEST premiere option now, and they tested it with TLH, which had pretty good promotional push. And after three weeks worth of premieres, it's a modest hit if you look at it's 1.7-1.9 ratings, but it's probably THE hit for kid's networks. Funny thing is AatC would be as well, but Nick stumbled upon that 5pm time and the popularity of AatC when it tried to "burn it off" weekdays. At least Nick did it's job and set up TLH at 5pm with premieres of SBSP and AatC for two weeks. TLH stayed on pace all three weeks, and actually outdid SBSP and AatC most days.

I'm hoping Nick gives HB another shot with the 5pm premieres. There's hope for this show, and I think Nick knows it's worth resetting. My fear is Nick still decides to group HB, SJC, PGBC and FOP at a bad time again.

IMO, all Nick premieres should be weekdays at 5pm for an hour.

SparkleMan

May 2, 2016
Lazytown
I think TLH, SJC, FOP, SBSP, AATC, and HB would do well on a saturday morning block. RI and BW could work as bombs (all week and NOT on nicktoons). PGBC could work next to Power Rangers on Saturday Nights once it returns.
To answer your question, nope.

Spotlight

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Happy 51st Birthday to MCU Ant-Man's Paul Rudd
Happy 24th Birthday to Bunk'd star Miranda May
Happy 22nd Birthday to Bunk'd and Jessie's Peyton R. List
Happy Birthday to the great Akira Toriyama!
Today, variety in my country's Cartoon Network's schedule has died.
I'm Planning to make a New Qubo schedule With Several New and Returning Shows (With one of them being Jacob Two-Two), No Paid Programming and the Return of the 4 hour Marathons.
Today marks the 10th Year Anniversary of Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated and the 7th Year Anniversary of its series finale. It ended up becoming my favorite adaptation of the Scooby-Doo Franchise and found out about Lewis Black by name (I had heard his voice in some earlier shows).