Are Dan and Swampy the Butch Hartman of Disney?

Latest News & Videos

OmegaAlpha23

Mar 1, 2018
Everyone knows that Phineas and Ferb was popular when it was new, and everyone loved it. People thought it was a blessing from the animation gods and better compared to everything else that was airing at the time, and some suspected it was the new SpongeBob. But then, popular opinion turned against it in 2012 and people went from loving it to hating it for being formulaic, repetitive, boring, bland, having stereotypical characters, and overexplaining jokes. Some went as far as to refuse to say that they ever liked the show, and that it hadn't aged well. It's popularity faltered so much that it was finished by Season 4. Milo Murphy's Law was never as popular as Phineas and Ferb, but it was critically acclaimed at the beginning for trying something new, and some people were saying it was better than Phineas and Ferb. But recently, people are saying that Milo Murphy's Law has gone downhill for trying to incorporate Phineas and Ferb characters into the show instead of trying to find it's own identity, and be it's own thing.

Even though there is an upsurge in 2000s nostalgia lately, I don't see that many people talk about how great PAF was.

I looked at some old threads on ToonZone, and I've drawn parallels from Dan and Swampy's rise and fall to Butch Hartman's. The Fairly Odd Parents was also popular when it started, and at one point more popular than SpongeBob, and people considered it a blessing compared to everything that aired on Nickelodeon at the time. But after Channel Chasers, interest began to wane because people thought it was repetitive, and one dimensional, and even now, people don't really care about the old episodes a great deal. Danny Phantom was well revered because it was darker, more straight forward and had more depth than The Fairly Odd Parents did, but people thought that it went downhill in Season 3 for becoming more of a comedy than an action show.

Of course, Dan and Swampy haven't made anything as bad as Tuff Puppy, or Bunsen is a Beast, but it seems that while Phineas and Ferb was aimed to be Disney's SpongeBob, it was more their FOP. Your thoughts?

Reactions: Fone Bone

PinkieLopBun

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 14, 2015
Massachusetts
pinkielopbun.carrd.co
I don't think Dan and Swampy are the Butch Hartman of Disney. I wasn't hanging out in any animation circles when Phineas and Ferb was still airing new episodes, so I can't say what the overall reception was like towards the end, but PnF still seems to have a loyal fanbase from what I've seen while a lot of FOP's fans at least from what I've seen seem to have given up on the show towards the end. I have noticed the reception for season 2 of Milo Murphy's Law hasn't been as good as season 1, but I wouldn't say it's terrible. Also, unlike Butch, Dan and Swampy haven't gotten into any controversy as far as I know.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Oct 22, 2012
Belgium
I must admit I rolled my eyes when I saw the thread title, but now I have read your post, I see your point, at least a little.

Last edited:

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA!
Sep 26, 2011
Neo Arcadia, USA
The thing is, for me, Dan and Swampy made shows I'm OK with, at least in the case of Milo Murphy's Law. I only really enjoyed P&F for the Perry and Doof scenarios. Unlike Butch, however, that's still something I liked watching here and there.

Butch is just a hack, IMHO. I can't find a single thing I'd call even OK from him, honestly!

Dan and Swampy - 2
Butch - 0

GAME OVER

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
In a Dream World
Yeah, I don't think that this is a fair comparison either. Dan and Swampy have only made two shows thus far for Disney, so it's not quite the overload of content compared to what Butch Hartman did with Nickelodeon. I can kind of understand the comparison between Phineas and Ferb and the Fairly Odd Parents more by comparison, but I don't think that works well either. I kind of remember the complaints people had for the later seasons of Phineas and Ferb, but I don't think it got to the level of complaints that Fairly Odd Parents had. Granted, the latter lasted longer anyway, but I don't think the backlash towards Phineas and Ferb was quite that intense.

I haven't seen a lot of people complaining about how the series hasn't aged well either. Based on the episodes I have rewatched, it's still enjoyable and has aged fairly well, at least more so than Butch Hartman's series at least. Plus, I saw some people being excited for the crossover with Milo Murphy. I still like Milo Murphy, but I agree that the second season hasn't been as good as the first season thus far. It's still fun, but I don't think that forcing in Phineas and Ferb characters is the only problem I have with it. I can understand the comparisons to a degree, but it mostly feels like a stretch at best to me.

OmegaAlpha23

Mar 1, 2018
The thing is, for me, Dan and Swampy made shows I'm OK with, at least in the case of Milo Murphy's Law. I only really enjoyed P&F for the Perry and Doof scenarios. Unlike Butch, however, that's still something I liked watching here and there.
There is noticeably less backlash towards Phineas and Ferb compared to 2013. People are actually praising the show in good spirits again, and some have nostalgia for it, which is a different world than 2013, where people online were bashing it left and right for it's formula and complained about it overstaying it's welcome.

I suppose time does heal old wounds. It's been away so long that people are able to appreciate it again.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Oct 22, 2012
Belgium
There is noticeably less backlash towards Phineas and Ferb compared to 2013. People are actually praising the show in good spirits again, and some have nostalgia for it, which is a different world than 2013, where people online were bashing it left and right for it's formula and complained about it overstaying it's welcome.

I suppose time does heal old wounds. It's been away so long that people are able to appreciate it again.
People still kept uploading all of those Phineas and Ferb songs in every language possible on YouTube.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Dedicated to everyone who, in these hard pandemic times, try celebrating the Fourth of July while using merpeople as means of escape from all this ruckus.
Asa
Happy Birthday, America!

The best way to celebrate 4th of July
Viper wrote on Light Lucario's profile.
Hi, Light Lucario. I just want to wish you a Happy 4th of July. I'll be having a nice barbecue and then see the fireworks tonight. I hope you have a very safe & Happy 4th of July.
pacman000 wrote on Peter Paltridge's profile.