"Aquaman: King of Atlantis (HBO Max)" News & Discussion (Spoilers)

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
AquamanKingOfAtlantis.jpg

Via the Hollywood Reporter, an Aquaman animated mini-series produced by James Wan is in the works for HBO Max.
The three-part series, produced by Warner Bros. Animation, will open as Aquaman takes the throne of the underseas kingdom for the first time and discovers that it’s not easy being in charge — especially with a half-brother trying to take Atlantis for himself, surface dwellers causing problems under the sea, and ancient evils threatening danger perpetually. If Aquaman is to prove that he’s the right king for the job, he’ll have to learn some new skills and trust in the advice offered by scholar Vulko and Mera, the water-controlling princess who also happens to be the hero's on-again, off-again love interest.
King of Atlantis will be executive produced by Wan, Atomic Monster’s Michael Clear, and Warner Bros. Animation’s Rob Hackett, and Sam Register. Victor Courtright (Thundercats Roar!) and Marly Halpern-Graser (Batman vs. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles) will serve as showrunners and co-executive producers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Frontier

Staff member
So this is going to be a direct tie-in to the movie, only aimed for more younger audiences? I was hoping for a full-fledged Aquaman cartoon, but this should be fun :).
A direct animated tie-in to a live action movie is always intriguing at first. And only 3 parts, easy to digest. The immediate question I have is will the movie cast lend their voices?
I would think they wouldn't make it based so much on the movie if they weren't going to try...and Wan is there, so he might be able to make it happen :cool:.

I can totally see Momoa being willing to do it ;).

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
It's cool to see Aquaman get another animated series, even if it's only 3 episodes long. But I presume more might be on the way providing Aquaman 2 is another success. Kind of reminds me of the CW Seed shows in a way, but also the upcoming What If?... in how it's supposedly set in the same continuity as the live-action movie.

Frontier

Staff member
It's awesome that it's happening but I feel like we've seen the Ocean Master conflict every time Aquaman has been animated in the last 20 years. Can I see the Fisherman for once?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I guess if it's in-continuity with the movie, they can't really use Black Manta :confused:.

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
Some of the projects he's done include Archibald's Next Big Thing, Thundercats Roar, Be Cool Scooby Doo (the show was mainly composed by Jake Monaco), Scooby Doo And The Gourmet Ghost (also with Jake), and Puppy Dog Pals (with Andy Bean).

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Despite the tepid reception, I actually enjoyed seeing Argylle in the cinema.
Shania Twain > Taylor Swift. That is all.
I wish the internet would quit pushing sites like Temu and Shein onto me. I can't stand them, for numerous reasons.
I almost forgot to mention, but I'm doing another Media Brackets competition

X-Men '97 is good so far, but don't forget that angst does not automatically equal depth. Just adding swears and piling on cheap tragedies doesn't instantly make your work deep or mature.

Featured Posts