"Apple & Onion" News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

• Enter to win two tickets to MIRAI plus Merch. Details here.

Latest News & Videos

Aug 23, 2017
Ratings
129 1
Just saw the sneak peek. I'm still not very keen on the art style, and the premise doesn't sound too appealing (ha ha, pun), but I can easily see it becoming a spiritual successor to Regular Show, which would likely win me over. The writing already feels very similar to RS in tone, which is a decently good sign.

Also, the theme song is strangely mesmerizing, and I don't know why.
I watched the preview too and it doesn't give regular show vibes at all. More like Uncle grandpa.

Checkerboard

THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS
May 25, 2010
Ratings
2,364 94
Cartoon Headquarters
About the promotion... They're starting to promote it late, BUT maybe they'll be promoting it 24/7 in the coming days before its premiere. Not everything needs to be promoted half a year in advance and not always does it work. Obviously they wanted to drop Unikitty first instead of promoting several new shows at once. And that's fine as long as they'll catch up and give Apple and Onion a chance and won't forget about it like they've sometimes done with certain shows.

About the show... Listen, I'll be honest.

The content itself isn't entirely bad. I could watch it, I guess. Not stellar, but there were worse shows aired on CN over the years - original or not.

The presentation, though? That is something I genuinely have a problem with. It's Problem Solverz all over again and that show didn't last long, because I would argue it was visually off-putting. Apple and Onion similarly invokes that LSD-esque feel. Teen Titans Go! and Uncle Grandpa are colorful, and I find them borderline of what I find watchable, but they're still within the range and not over the top. Apple and Onion, like some shows on Adult Swim, is too saturated for my taste. It's not outright acidic like Problem Solverz, Secret Mountain Fort Awesome, Superjail or Mr. Pickles, but it's getting there.

I don't think it really fits on CN. There's just something "off" about it in the context of everything else CN is airing right now. I'm not expecting more than two seasons at most, sorry.

Aug 23, 2017
Ratings
129 1
About the promotion... They're starting to promote it late, BUT maybe they'll be promoting it 24/7 in the coming days before its premiere. Not everything needs to be promoted half a year in advance and not always does it work. Obviously they wanted to drop Unikitty first instead of promoting several new shows at once. And that's fine as long as they'll catch up and give Apple and Onion a chance and won't forget about it like they've sometimes done with certain shows.

About the show... Listen, I'll be honest.

The content itself isn't entirely bad. I could watch it, I guess. Not stellar, but there were worse shows aired on CN over the years - original or not.

The presentation, though? That is something I genuinely have a problem with. It's Problem Solverz all over again and that show didn't last long, because I would argue it was visually off-putting. Apple and Onion similarly invokes that LSD-esque feel. Teen Titans Go! and Uncle Grandpa are colorful, and I find them borderline of what I find watchable, but they're still within the range and not over the top. Apple and Onion, like some shows on Adult Swim, is too saturated for my taste. It's not outright acidic like Problem Solverz, Secret Mountain Fort Awesome, Superjail or Mr. Pickles, but it's getting there.

I don't think it really fits on CN. There's just something "off" about it in the context of everything else CN is airing right now. I'm not expecting more than two seasons at most, sorry.
I mean not a year in advance but a few months in advance they should have done that.

DeanBurrito25

Jan 15, 2009
Ratings
705 4
mattdeanart.com
Wait a sec, it premieres later this month? Wow. They must be saving the advertising frenzy for Craig of The Creek. Still, the animation pipeline utilizing Flash is less time consuming than "traditional" overseas animation so I get it.

The intro is nice and simple. I enjoy all of the subtle musical flourishes like the alarm increasing in volume at the beginning and the officer tapping on the jail cell to a beat - the latter made me smile. Also, I see CN has opted to using its own logo in the show graphic instead of the "A Cartoon Network Original" byline they've been slapping on their other shows like We Bare Bears, Steven Universe, Adventure Time and Uncle Grandpa. It looks similar to what Nickelodeon and Disney have been doing for years.

Nexonius

Ten, count em', ten years!
Jun 28, 2007
Ratings
640 11
Earth Two
Wait a sec, it premieres later this month? Wow. They must be saving the advertising frenzy for Craig of The Creek. Still, the animation pipeline utilizing Flash is less time consuming than "traditional" overseas animation so I get it.

The intro is nice and simple. I enjoy all of the subtle musical flourishes like the alarm increasing in volume at the beginning and the officer tapping on the jail cell to a beat - the latter made me smile. Also, I see CN has opted to using its own logo in the show graphic instead of the "A Cartoon Network Original" byline they've been slapping on their other shows like We Bare Bears, Steven Universe, Adventure Time and Uncle Grandpa. It looks similar to what Nickelodeon and Disney have been doing for years.

Steven Universe is the only still running CNS show that doesn't have the byline.

DeanBurrito25

Jan 15, 2009
Ratings
705 4
mattdeanart.com
Oh yeah. Well, the 2010 CN logo is compact enough to be used like that. It looks nice.

I could see Apple & Onion becoming a decent successor to Regular Show if the show plays its cards right. It might be too soon to tell right now but it could become a modest hit. Again, I wonder if the scant advertising is due in part to the fact that CN is saving its energy for Craig or Summer Camp Island. I'd place my cards on the former personally, but that's neither here nor there.

Radical Edward

Cartoon shill
Feb 3, 2018
Ratings
1,217 6
It's also worth noting that apparently the show is waiting for a second season pickup. If it was just a miniseries, that wouldn't even be a possibility... I'm confused.
I see two possibilities: Either CN promotes it as a miniseries in order to test the waters before deciding whether or not to renew it, or they've quietly canceled the show without telling the crew in advance.

Last edited:

Spotlight

Staff online

Latest profile posts

♫ Hi, I'm Bruce Willes from Die Hard 7 and you're watching Disney Channel! ♪
Happy 20th birthday to PPG. Even in the good times and the bad times, you're still a show worth watching.
Holy smokes! Churned out 15 freaking pages of the latest Gilda and Meek today! I am in the freaking zone and so happy with how things are going in the final issue I will be posting on Toon Zone.
Asa
Happy 90th birthday to Mickey, 20th birthday to PPG, and 30th birthday to LBT & O&C.
Happy 20th Birthday to the one, the only... THE POWERPUFF GIRLS!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCA1cifF4fY