Anyone else tired of the MCU?

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
I got bored of the MCU at the end of Phase 3, Thought about watching the later movies but it isn't worth continuing after Far From Home.

So wait have you seen movies and shows after Far from Home or not? Because quite honestly if you decided Far From Home was enough for you and you were done... then you really shouldn't be making this topic because if you're done with the MCU then your past being tired about it and even tired of really talking about it so it feels like you're just trying to pick fights making threads like this. Like if you were still watching and generally trying to be interested but nothing is piquing your enjoyment like previous phases fair enough. But different if you've already given up.

I am starting to get tired of "This is another secret society that has shaped human history for decades/centuries/millennia, but wasn't worth mentioning or showing until now." The Eternals really needs to be the last one of those.

The problem is that Marvel and DC Comics themselves love that trope so when you're adapting their work there are bound to be a lot of those. I admit though that is an aspect they do really need to work around better. Stuff like the TVA and Multiverse Illumanti I'm fine with because they naturally do operate outside of the MCU world so we normally wouldn't hear of it but now that we have a more solid idea of the MCU world and how things operate pulling that sort of stuff constantly is getting pretty old and not enjoyably old either.

The movie slate I get since investors need to know, but the actual stories in relation to other stories don't come across as being planned that far back in advance beyond cursory trivia.

That's not really correct. There are ideas mapped out of how to work into each phase that are thought of a fair amount ahead of time. Like for instance what movies to introduce each of the Infinity Stones in the Infinity Saga. It's just there is a freedom given to the crew working on the movie to do the story they want best and dependent on the movie some notes given of how to best connect it to the other movies in the Cinematic Universe. Thus there are obviously plans that do feed on one another but a fair amount of things naturally are going to be flexible as well.

I was tired of it from the minute I saw Iron Man (2008) in theaters the day it came out with my friend.

... Why? I know the point of the thread is asking if you're tired of the MCU but... did you just see Iron Man and dislike it and not care about what happened next? Feels kind of weak just to say that without any sort of follow up IMHO.

Well, I believe Feige is also good at figuring out how to place things in his plan. I do not believe Black Widow was in his original plan. I think Johansson and fans wanted it. He may have already had plans to use Yelena, so this was the best way to go about it.

Well you have to remember that in the planning of phase 2 and even Phase 3, Ike Perlmutter was in charge of Marvel and he was the sexist/racist d-bag who didn't want movies starring female characters or people of color. He only agreed on Black Panther and Carol Danvers Captain Marvel (movies Feige really wanted to do, wanting to keep introducing new characters to the fold) due to Perlmutter wanting to make an Inhumans movie aka a project no one else at Marvel was interested in. Perlmutter though was thankfully slapped out (I thought for awhile it was due to Age of Ultron not doing as well as Avengers and that giving Feige leverage to have him booted away but turns out it was because Perlmutter had this stupid demand for how Captain America Civil War needed to end neither Feige nor the directors/writers of that movie were on board with thus threatened to walk out if that was kept and that was able to get Perlmutter taken out of that spot) but that was after the Phase 3 plans were already underway and they had to work in Spider Man movies as well as an Ant Man sequel into the mix. I believe Feige did always plan a Black Widow movie but it would have been some time after that but then she died in Endgame so there was probably some figuring out how to make a film work but they pulled out the prequel idea and the movie did come out. And yeah Black Widow wasn't planned when introduced in Iron man 2 to have her own movie (which is a whole story in itself see my Black Widow movie review for that) but again that was more Perlmutter's fault then Feige's.

What Ant-Man debacle?

Long story short; An Ant Man movie was originally planned in the first phase of the MCU to be written and directed by Edgar Wright as yeah the original Avengers movie was suppose to have Ant Man in it since Ant Man (and Wasp who at one point was planned to be introduced in the Avengers movie) were part of the original team line up. However the inner workings of how to get that movie to work and the fine detailing of the script kept pushing that movie back and it kept having to be retooled. Eventually though it was ready to be reworked as the end of Phase 2 films but at that point Marvel team wanted to do another rewrite to the movie to put in elements of the universe into that movie that Wright didn't want to do. Which led to a back and forth and Wright off the project with Peyton Reed taking over. Which was a decent controversey at the time (especially with how beloved Wright was as a director) but again feel like that was more a Perlmutter issue of wanting to force in more connections especially as Perlmutter was behind those "Thor needs to know about the other Infinity Stones to reference the upcoming Avengers film" notes Whedon had to put into his script of Age of Ultron that no one liked.

Not me....but keep in mind, I don't get tired of things easy. If I can watch over 800 One Piece episodes and over 500 Naruto episodes across 10+ years and not get bored of them, it'll probably take a while longer for the MCU....unless the quality majorly drops or something.

Again I do really feel that the people getting sick of the MCU are mostly people who don't really know or care about how comics or these longer works in media go in general. Like yeah some shows or films have a set amount you shouldn't really go over but if the MCU is representing the comics then the comics continue on having events and having the world go on making new stories even after major reality shifting moments or seemingly conclusive ends. The MCU is better then the comics since they can end certain elements and bits you wouldn't see happen in the comics (where eventually it always shifts back to Tony Stark as Iron Man and Steve Rogers as Captain America which won't be the case for the MCU going forward) but that doesn't mean they aren't taking the ever expanding and adding new elements for various other stories factor the comics have. Stuff like Naruto and One Piece probably have more definite endings (well Naruto had an ending but then due to popularity it had spin offs and sequels that are now their own thing) but I still get the "I'm aware of what I'm enjoying and that it won't have the clean cut ending a lot of other properties do have" feeling Gold Guy.

To others it was a series finale at least as far as whom you may have been invested in. Weird way to go, imho, but those characters have moved on from the franchise. And then the legacy characters are in even weirder situations to where you could question what is the continued investment for?

No it makes sense as actors are going to want to do other things and some of these characters you can only do so much with and want to focus on telling other stories so I get wanting to move on and tell new stories with new characters but using familiar elements. Again the comics do that all the time but the difference is the movies/shows are likely going to stick with those changes. In the comics Sam Wilson was Captain America for awhile... but it eventually went back to Steve Rogers. Do not expect that to be the case for Captain America going forward even if someone else other then Anthony Mackie's Wilson plays the character it won't be Chris Evans/Steve Rogers again.

Well, a lot of people are, especially with those who feel like Avengers: Endgame is their finale to the MCU.

Again more casual movie fans who don't get what Marvel is trying to do. Also the MCU had advertised Spider Man Far From Home after Endgame and obviously that ended on a cliffhanger so that kind of showed "yeah no there's still much more story to be told" about this whole thing.

Mostezli

N0t 4 3very1 & Th@t'$ OK
That's not really correct. There are ideas mapped out of how to work into each phase that are thought of a fair amount ahead of time. Like for instance what movies to introduce each of the Infinity Stones in the Infinity Saga. It's just there is a freedom given to the crew working on the movie to do the story they want best and dependent on the movie some notes given of how to best connect it to the other movies in the Cinematic Universe. Thus there are obviously plans that do feed on one another but a fair amount of things naturally are going to be flexible as well.
You're essentially restating what I wrote. The cursory trivia is what's planned many years in advance.
Long story short; An Ant Man movie was originally planned in the first phase of the MCU to be written and directed by Edgar Wright as yeah the original Avengers movie was suppose to have Ant Man in it since Ant Man (and Wasp who at one point was planned to be introduced in the Avengers movie) were part of the original team line up. However the inner workings of how to get that movie to work and the fine detailing of the script kept pushing that movie back and it kept having to be retooled. Eventually though it was ready to be reworked as the end of Phase 2 films but at that point Marvel team wanted to do another rewrite to the movie to put in elements of the universe into that movie that Wright didn't want to do. Which led to a back and forth and Wright off the project with Peyton Reed taking over. Which was a decent controversey at the time (especially with how beloved Wright was as a director) but again feel like that was more a Perlmutter issue of wanting to force in more connections especially as Perlmutter was behind those "Thor needs to know about the other Infinity Stones to reference the upcoming Avengers film" notes Whedon had to put into his script of Age of Ultron that no one liked.
Oh, I thought it was some other Ant-Man debacle. Well aware of the Wright situation. That's what I don't get since GOTG would be where all the primary infinity stone storylines should have really progressed before the GOTG take center stage for the 2-part finale, but again cursory trivia and all that.
No it makes sense as actors are going to want to do other things and some of these characters you can only do so much with and want to focus on telling other stories so I get wanting to move on and tell new stories with new characters but using familiar elements. Again the comics do that all the time but the difference is the movies/shows are likely going to stick with those changes. In the comics Sam Wilson was Captain America for awhile... but it eventually went back to Steve Rogers. Do not expect that to be the case for Captain America going forward even if someone else other then Anthony Mackie's Wilson plays the character it won't be Chris Evans/Steve Rogers again.
I didn't say "Endgame" being an endgame doesn't make sense. How they went about those closed chapters is weird and made more unusual by the fact of what they established for these actors/characters' returns even if it's "deep-faked"
And then with legacy characters, either the stories are getting too convoluted relative to the previous phases' sequels or the characters are in bizarre predicaments such as Black Panther or Spider-Man.

So wait have you seen movies and shows after Far from Home or not? Because quite honestly if you decided Far From Home was enough for you and you were done... then you really shouldn't be making this topic because if you're done with the MCU then your past being tired about it and even tired of really talking about it so it feels like you're just trying to pick fights making threads like this. Like if you were still watching and generally trying to be interested but nothing is piquing your enjoyment like previous phases fair enough. But different if you've already given up.

Not really picking fights as you're overracting. I quit back in 2019 as it was really ridiculous with its plot twists. I made this thread as it was rather overdo also from how much people were making a big deal out of the phase 4 films on random Non-MCU topics, I have not watched those phase 4 films but became aware when everyone would get excited and they derailing other topics for the sake of it with major spoilers. It's been driving me nuts lately, why would they go off-topic just to blab out the MCU?.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
I got bored of the MCU at the end of Phase 3. Thought about watching the later movies but it isn't worth continuing after Far from Home.
About Far from Home, I always see it as the start of Phase 4 instead.
Again more casual movie fans who don't get what Marvel is trying to do.
Except said casual fans do get what they're trying to do and are just not interested plus there are indeed MCU fans who decided not to see anymore stuff from the franchise after Endgame.
Also the MCU had advertised Spider Man Far From Home after Endgame and obviously that ended on a cliffhanger so that kind of showed "yeah no there's still much more story to be told" about this whole thing.
Yes but the cliffhanger ending of Far from Home felt more like it was the start of Phase 4 than the end of Phase 3 since Endgame felt more like it was the final story for Phase 3.

the greenman

Just curious what the next trend will be after this Multiverse saga. I have a feeling it might be playing with the Prehistoric.

For Marvel: Devil Dinosaur and Moon Girl/Boy and Kazar.

For DC: Unsure.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

Ed Nygma

Very tired of it at this point. Feige thought he was invincible and got cocky and is now pushing through projects for reason that have nothing to do with quality. What was once his biggest strength- not rocking the boat, meaning he didn't push Iron Man 2 or Thor to be better because he realized it wasn't the hill to die on, keeping the trains running was- is not his biggest liability as there's no quality control.

The tv shows have really been the death of it. Even the few I found not ghastly, like Loki- they pulled that nonsense about death being meaningless. Everyone was shocked when Own Wilson was disintegrated in episode 4 of Loki because we had just gotten to know him and like him, and it seemed like a given he'd be in all 6 episodes. Then they ruined it as usual. I miss when it was one or two a year with no shows.

The best I think it ever was was when they weren't connected and we got that amount- the year with X2, Daredevil and Hulk was about perfect. Even the year with Iron Man and Incredible Hulk was too much, because we also had Dark Knight (and Hancock, and Hellboy) all pithing one three month span. It was then that I realized they had gone too far, because other studios will always release their own movies irrespective of their schedule. If MCU is to get back on track they need to go back to marquee characters like FF and X-Men only, and release just two a year again.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Very tired of it at this point. Feige thought he was invincible and got cocky and is now pushing through projects for reason that have nothing to do with quality. What was once his biggest strength- not rocking the boat, meaning he didn't push Iron Man 2 or Thor to be better because he realized it wasn't the hill to die on, keeping the trains running was- is not his biggest liability as there's no quality control.

The tv shows have really been the death of it. Even the few I found not ghastly, like Loki- they pulled that nonsense about death being meaningless. Everyone was shocked when Own Wilson was disintegrated in episode 4 of Loki because we had just gotten to know him and like him, and it seemed like a given he'd be in all 6 episodes. Then they ruined it as usual. I miss when it was one or two a year with no shows.

The best I think it ever was was when they weren't connected and we got that amount- the year with X2, Daredevil and Hulk was about perfect. Even the year with Iron Man and Incredible Hulk was too much, because we also had Dark Knight (and Hancock, and Hellboy) all pithing one three month span. It was then that I realized they had gone too far, because other studios will always release their own movies irrespective of their schedule. If MCU is to get back on track they need to go back to marquee characters like FF and X-Men only, and release just two a year again.
The TV shows do seem to have been a turning point. Granted they are much better than the Jeph Loeb Marvel Television stuff. But that crap I felt comfortable ignoring. The Marvel Studios TV shows being shady and being so tied to the canon isn't helping things.

When the thread was posted I thought the question was ridiculous. Now it's like "Maybe?"

Daikun

Long Live the Fighter!
Staff member
My problem with the MCU is how so much of it is released within a short time span, and they expect viewers to just keep up with everything, even if they don't want or aren't able to.

When I dedicated myself to following the MCU, I decided to relegate myself to just the movies and ignore the TV shows so I wouldn't be so saturated with it.

Then Loki started the origin of the multiverse (I wasn't watching it, but I learned about it from a YouTuber who watched the series) and I was like, "Oh, crap! I have to pay attention to THIS now, don't I?" And then the events of WandaVision tied in to the new Doctor Strange movie and now it's just frustrating.

I feel like the MCU is far too saturated for anyone to keep up with. I was fine when it was just a movie or two every year, but now I feel like I have to pay for a subscription service and pay attention to the lore of other media I didn't want to follow in the first place. Marvel should've either just stuck to movies, or kept the TV shows separate from their cinematic universe. It's too much.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I'm not tired of the MCU itself, I'll keep consuming it forever but like others I dislike how oversaturated it's become with the # of releases per year, I'm not sold on their expansion into animation yet, I'm still into physical media and it's irksome that not everything is out on Blu-ray, and I'm so over Sony having Spider-Man and the non-spidey movies they're making. I still think it should all be under one roof.

JMTV

The Adorkable One.
As someone who wasn't a superhero fan, I don't mind the Marvel Cinematic Universe films. It just that the oversaturation of so much content has become a problem in recent times.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts