Anyone care to tell me what happened to The Anime Network?

Latest News

May 17, 2006
Ratings
New Jersey
I was subscribed to it from late 2005 until mid 2006 (temporary switch from Cablevision to DirecTV- who carried it- back to Cablevision),

and I decided tonight to add it back after these years, particularly because the dub site I use isn't running right on my PS4, I thus need a new laptop, and TAN is only $6.95/month.

Ok... so it's no longer a 24/7, it's an SVOD service. It plays only subbed anime, and that's a deal breaker because I grew up on dubs and can't bear to watch subs. The old Anime Network played only dubs obviously. And to make things worse, there are only a handful of series on there, most of them with mediocre reviews online.

What gives? Wth happened? I feel like I just got duped out of $6.95 And there was no information out there for me to know about all of these bad changes. Why did they do all of this?

wonderfly

Shaking things up a bit
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 22, 2002
Ratings
936 16
Springfield, MO
The last time you tuned in was 2006? Didn't the anime market collapse in 2007/2008? The rise of "Crunchyroll" in 2008/2009 probably was also a factor in the decline of the Anime Network.

Man, cable has changed so much since then...

Golden Geek

Gera Gera Po
Dec 31, 2013
Ratings
552 9
United States
I wouldn't be surprised if The Anime Network is completely gone by the end of the year. Back in 2011/2012, I used to watch their free on-demand service, and they had plenty of dubs and rotating old/new shows from Sentai Filmworks. The dubs completely disappeared at one point, and even now we only get maybe one dub a month.

I highly recommend giving HIDIVE a shot. For $4.99 a month you get Sentai's entire back catalog, subtitled and dubbed, as well as new releases/simuldubs.