Any Autistic Fans Out There?

Latest News & Videos

Aug 8, 2019
West Coast
I'm studying for my exams and wondering why I didn't study more in the last 2+ months. Oh, right, I remember. I was too busy with homework... including the "all field trips are cancelled so here's even more homework" kind.
Yikes!

I'm ok, it's not ideal circumstances but I've found I have more time than I previously had, perfect for working on some projects.

Reactions: Red Arrow

PicardMan

Staff member
Nov 9, 2016
Working at Wal Mart sucks during the pandemic. Noticed that aside from Anime Matsuri, October is the earliest time that a central US con. Have to be patient and hope things are safe. Still have no idea what Anime Matsuri is thinking considering every other summer con in Big XII land is cancelled.

Aug 8, 2019
West Coast
Working at Wal Mart sucks during the pandemic. Noticed that aside from Anime Matsuri, October is the earliest time that a central US con. Have to be patient and hope things are safe. Still have no idea what Anime Matsuri is thinking considering every other summer con in Big XII land is cancelled.
The Coachella music festival was moved to October too but that might go virtual if things haven't changed by then.

Comic Con is going virtual this year but no word on how they plan to go about doing it.

Low Spark of Lyman

The only movie in the entire world.
Apr 7, 2018
New Hampshire, U.S.
garfield.fandom.com
I don't mind staying home for the most part. Sure, I'd like to go out to places like before (among other things involving other people), but I'd also like to not potentially spread/get the disease.

More worrisome is how the disease appears to be getting worse in some parts of the country, even though that currently doesn't include my state.

Reactions: Fone Bone
Aug 8, 2019
West Coast
I don't mind staying home for the most part. Sure, I'd like to go out to places like before (among other things involving other people), but I'd also like to not potentially spread/get the disease.

More worrisome is how the disease appears to be getting worse in some parts of the country, even though that currently doesn't include my state.
I know what you mean, the number of new cases is disturbing.

I've also noticed a lot of people have gone overboard with getting pets since this crisis started.

Reactions: Low Spark of Lyman

TsWade2

Apr 5, 2015
Even though I sometimes have a hard time accepting myself being autistic, but I’ve been doing a musical theatre once a year helps me become a different person. Acting in drama really helps me to overcome of my autism.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fone Bone

glennbyrnes

Jul 30, 2018
SYLMAR
Just thought I'd post an Autism related thread.

I don't know if anyone else here has talked about this here.

Ever since I got diagnosed two years ago, I notice a lot of people on sites like fanfiction.net are Autistic.

Nothing wrong with that, I'm glad there's others out there like me.

There's also a lot of like-minded people who attend Comic Con and other events.

Like for example, at one Comic Con, voice actress Tara Strong spent time with a fan who was Autistic and Deaf.
It was a great moment.
I'm autistic.

Aug 8, 2019
West Coast
Anyone ever had those moments where you have a conversation about autism and somebody tries to compare you to their relative or some other autistic person they know?

It's like people forget it's a spectrum.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Anyone ever had those moments where you have a conversation about autism and somebody tries to compare you to their relative or some other autistic person they know?

It's like people forget it's a spectrum.
You can't expect a person who doesn't have autism to know as much about it as someone who does. Comparisons are all most people have to go by.

Aug 8, 2019
West Coast
You can't expect a person who doesn't have autism to know as much about it as someone who does. Comparisons are all most people have to go by.
I think you misunderstood my post. What I meant by comparisons is when someone says something like: " Oh, my friend's kid is autistic, you're nothing like him".

People don't realize how offensive that sounds to an autistic person.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
I think you misunderstood my post. What I meant by comparisons is when someone says something like: " Oh, my friend's kid is autistic, you're nothing like him".

People don't realize how offensive that sounds to an autistic person.
I don't find it offensive it all. I assume everyone else is dumb about stuff like that. If I took offense at every ignorant thing said by a person who doesn't understand autism, I'd be a very unhappy person. Usually what makes me offended is if the statement is malicious or designed to insult me and people with autism and Asperger's such as "vaccines cause autism", "autism is bad", or "autistic people are dangerous and should all be locked up." A person expressing surprise at the differences in the spectrum usually amuses rather than offends me.

Here is something we all need to learn. Instead of using a person saying something dumb about autism as an excuse for a confrontation, use it as an excuse for a teaching experience. Your life will be better for it.

Aug 8, 2019
West Coast
I don't find it offensive it all. I assume everyone else is dumb about stuff like that. If I took offense at every ignorant thing said by a person who doesn't understand autism, I'd be a very unhappy person. Usually what makes me offended is if the statement is malicious or designed to insult me and people with autism and Asperger's such as "vaccines cause autism", "autism is bad", or "autistic people are dangerous and should all be locked up." A person expressing surprise at the differences in the spectrum usually amuses rather than offends me.

Here is something we all need to learn. Instead of using a person saying something dumb about autism as an excuse for a confrontation, use it as an excuse for a teaching experience. Your life will be better for it.
I've gone back and forth about autism stereotypes before but it sometimes goes downhill. There's been articles about this.

The point of why autistic people find it offensive when we're compared to others is it continues to circulate the stereotype that all autistic people are the same when in reality it varies from person to person.

Like for example there's a stereotype that if a person can talk, write and even remotely seem 'normal' then they're not really autistic which ridiculous because once upon a time, many autistic people were non speaking as kids but eventually changed.