The Autism Discussion Thread

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
I've been sitting on something that really bugs me, and I don't really have an outlet to vent about it anywhere else. But all of my neighbors who live on the same floor of my apartment building hate and fear me. I get why the fact that I sometimes angrily yelp or talk loudly to myself is off-putting, but did they ever consider I'm equally scared of them? I have stores I go to where people know me, and are perfectly lovely to me, and enjoy my presence and company. And yet, the fact that all of my neighbors believe I am dangerously crazy and do everything in their power to avoid me in the hall makes me feel like utter crap anyways, even if I get along with everyone I talk to elsewhere. If they knew me even a little I wouldn't keep getting contemptuous looks.

Parker-Shepherd

I've been sitting on something that really bugs me, and I don't really have an outlet to vent about it anywhere else. But all of my neighbors who live on the same floor of my apartment building hate and fear me. I get why the fact that I sometimes angrily yelp or talk loudly to myself is off-putting, but did they ever consider I'm equally scared of them? I have stores I go to where people know me, and are perfectly lovely to me, and enjoy my presence and company. And yet, the fact that all of my neighbors believe I am dangerously crazy and do everything in their power to avoid me in the hall makes me feel like utter crap anyways, even if I get along with everyone I talk to elsewhere. If they knew me even a little I wouldn't keep getting contemptuous looks.

Sorry to hear that but it's not uncommon for Autistic people to be mistaken for crazy, aggressive or dangerous.

It's even more difficult when you're not only autistic but also a person of color.
The discrimination is a different story.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Sorry to hear that but it's not uncommon for Autistic people to be mistaken for crazy, aggressive or dangerous.

It's even more difficult when you're not only autistic but also a person of color.
The discrimination is a different story.
I don't want to compare sob stories with other autistic folks. Some have it worse. Some don't. I'm just saying it makes me feel like crap. I know my white privilege protects me from worse. I still feel like crap.

Parker-Shepherd

I don't want to compare sob stories with other autistic folks. Some have it worse. Some don't. I'm just saying it makes me feel like crap. I know my white privilege protects me from worse. I still feel like crap.

It's understandable to feel that way and the stereotypes don't make it any better.

Probably the biggest issue I've seen is ongoing debates about what autism is and what it isn't.

Like there's people who claim Aspergers or so called high functioning autism isn't 'real' autism which is a ridiculous argument because it's a spectrum.

Light Lucario

Staff member
It's understandable to feel that way and the stereotypes don't make it any better.

Probably the biggest issue I've seen is ongoing debates about what autism is and what it isn't.

Like there's people who claim Aspergers or so called high functioning autism isn't 'real' autism which is a ridiculous argument because it's a spectrum.

I remember being taught pretty much right after I got my diagnosis that Asperger's Syndrome wasn't considered the same thing as autism. It was considered a different form of autism, but yet also not really the same thing. I'm not sure if this was something therapists and child psychologists believed at the time or something else, but it gave me the impression that autism was considered worse than Asperger's Syndrome or at least looked more down upon by comparison. Similar to the whole functioning labels, I didn't really start to unlearn that notion for quite some time.

Parker-Shepherd

I remember being taught pretty much right after I got my diagnosis that Asperger's Syndrome wasn't considered the same thing as autism. It was considered a different form of autism, but yet also not really the same thing. I'm not sure if this was something therapists and child psychologists believed at the time or something else, but it gave me the impression that autism was considered worse than Asperger's Syndrome or at least looked more down upon by comparison. Similar to the whole functioning labels, I didn't really start to unlearn that notion for quite some time.

I don't use function labels because they're misleading and offensive.

What I find ridiculous is that there's people who are upset to that anyone with an Aspergers diagnosis gets publicity or highlighted in news or pop culture because according these people it's not real autism and somehow our diagnosis takes away benefits from non speaking autistic people who need more daily support.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
I just had a weirdly positive experience a couple of minutes ago.

I was waiting for the elevator in my building and an attractive young woman comes out of the apartment a couple of doors down from me. I slunk away saying, "I'm sorry, you can go ahead of me."

And she says "You're fine."

And I said, "Well, I know a lot of people in the building are scared of me."

And she says "Should I be?"

And I said, "No, but I'm big and I talk to myself and I have Asperger's and I don't want anyone to feel uncomfortable."

She says, "Dude, you're fine. You be you." She said she was visiting her sister, and told me her name, and I gave her mine which I believe is the first or second time I've done that since I've lived here for the last sixteen years. And I hope maybe she might tell her sister about the interaction later and that I am very concerned about scaring other people and I don't want to do it.

It feel nice to be validated by a person who seems perfectly lovely and normal.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
So it seems like people are having difficulty adjusting to social distancing and such but for anyone autistic, there doesn't seem to be a problem since many are already used to it.

I wouldn't be one. There are oddly so many stereotypes and traits that don't fit me. I like being around people, even if I dislike smalltalk. I'm supposed to hate hugs because of my diagnosis, but I am a cuddle bug of sorts (not a good trait to have during a virus outbreak, but I probably won't be seeing any of my con friends until summer when Tokyo in Tulsa happens (A Kon just cancelled). Also, don't get the appeal of Thomas the Tank Engine and Minecraft, which seems to be the equivalent of the chicken and watermelon stereotypes African Americans deal with.

And people also have troubles with not touching their face, but adult autists are more used to controling tics

Well, I have Tourrettes too, so controlling tic;s for extended periods is borderline impossible (but they are mostly hand movements). I've been washing like crazy because I work at Wal Mart.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
I wouldn't be one. There are oddly so many stereotypes and traits that don't fit me. I like being around people, even if I dislike smalltalk. I'm supposed to hate hugs because of my diagnosis, but I am a cuddle bug of sorts
I also like being around people (that make me feel comfortable) and I also like hugging! :D I love getting touched and my non-autistic twin brother hates it. He even hates massages.

Sure, these are typical attributes of an autist, but I wouldn't call them essential. Liking social contact is not the same as being socially capable etc. Put me in a pub and I'm lost. Put me in a job interview and I'm lost, even if I am perfectly fit for the job.

Last edited:

Low Spark of Lyman

Y’know, I think the poor guy's screwy.
Also, don't get the appeal of Thomas the Tank Engine and Minecraft, which seems to be the equivalent of the chicken and watermelon stereotypes African Americans deal with.

I was into Thomas as a kid, didn't know then that it was associated with people on the autism spectrum (or even what autism was). I haven't gotten into Minecraft (in fact, I think this is the first I've even heard of such an association).

I've actually been largely indoors for months, even before the coronavirus outbreak started anywhere. One major reason being an ankle fracture that happened in late summer. It took about three months to heal with a boot/brace, and even now I only go downstairs one step at a time.

Parker-Shepherd

One thing I have noticed when social distancing and lockdown started, was some snarky comments people have made about their kids, both autistic or otherwise being stuck at home because the schools are closed.

I get that the situation is tough and everyone is trying to cope but these are the same people who would've been complaining anyway if their kids were home for Spring break instead of a lockdown.

Parker-Shepherd

And the latest ridiculousness I've discovered is anti-vaxxers and haters saying Autism is the real health crisis instead of Covid-19.

If those people said that to the family and friends of Covid-19 patients, they'd lose their teeth.

Light Lucario

Staff member
And the latest ridiculousness I've discovered is anti-vaxxers and haters saying Autism is the real health crisis instead of Covid-19.

If those people said that to the family and friends of Covid-19 patients, they'd lose their teeth.

That is both pathetic and disturbing that they really think that autism is the real health crisis. That would be bad at any time, but especially now. Autistic people aren't sick from autism or dying from it. It's so offensive that it's mind boggling.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.

Featured Posts