Anime Toys

Latest News & Videos

PicardMan

Staff member
Nov 9, 2016
I think you all know that Toys R Us is dying. Supposedly, Dragonball Super toys are on the shelves, but I tried to take advantage of my store's closing clearance and, there's nothing Dragonball Super related. Maybe they all sold out, but I doubt it. There's no empty shelf with a tag saying "Dragonball Super." It's safe to say that anime toys are only sold in hobby shops. The closing of Hastings a little bit ago was a huge blow as it was practically the only chain with extensive anime, Doctor Who, or Star Trek merchandise. There's definitely no Dragonball Super stuff at my local Wal-Mart. Why is anime merchandise almost impossible to find (except for extremely expensive SH Figarts)?

Zeether

HASSHA!!
Sep 4, 2010
Florida
Normal toy stores aren't gonna carry it because it's a specific niche and some figures are rather risque + get lumped in with those generally. As far as I know most of Super's merchandise figure wise is JP imports through Bluefin or something.

TnAdct1

Ravioli, Ravioli
Aug 3, 2002
Chiyo-chan's America
If you're going to find Dragon Ball figures, they are most likely going to be in the aisle with all the other niche items (i.e. Pop figures, toys based on horror films).

PicardMan

Staff member
Nov 9, 2016
I remember that Toei and Bandai were pushing for Super merchandise to be available in stores. It appears that this push failed. Most anime is pretty niche, but I thought that Dragonball would be an exception. One toy hunter from California found Super stuff . My theory is that a conservative Big 12 country Toys R Us doesn't carry the collector stuff, only the mega mainstream stuff. It's still shocking to see how far Dragonball has fallen as a merchandising icon. Now, it's specialty stores or nowhere when finding them at Wal-Mart used to be common.

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
Mar 8, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
www.411mania.com
The time of analog toys is ending. Merchandise like this will mainly be aimed at the adult collector crowd going forward.

Bandai USA made a retail line of Dragon Ball Super action figures. Never saw them at Toys R Us. I did see them at multiple Walgreens.

But Bandai USA sucks and they deserved to lose the Power Rangers license.

PicardMan

Staff member
Nov 9, 2016
I won't be suprised if SH Figarts becomes the only anime figures around. Of course they are ludicrously expensive. My local Walgreens only has the worst of the worst action figures. Some guy at my local Wizard World was inspired to create his comic/toyline discount force based on what's at Walgreens.

PicardMan

Staff member
Nov 9, 2016
Almost forgot about Figma and Revoltech because they are very similar. All three are expensive, collector oriented anime figures. Okay, Revoltech's usually have more joints and parts that come apart all the time, so there are some differences between the three. The point is that those $20 or less anime figures are going to be a thing of the past. I found one of the old cheap Kakashi figures at a Tokyo Toy Store (a local shop) in 2014, to my shock. They recently stopped stocking all anime figures and pretty much focus exclusively on Doctor Who last time I went. I don't know if they still exist. The point is that finding the affordable figures is going to ridiculously hard now.

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
Mar 8, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
www.411mania.com
A lot of companies are about to take a major hit due to Toys R Us closing. I hope we've seen the last of the bloodshed, but I have no idea.

The market's already getting a lot more collector oriented of late. Case in point, look at Marvel Legends and Star Wars Black from hasbro catering more to the collector side. Even Funko is aiming for the nostalgia adult collector crowd with Savage World and Disney Afternoon Collection.

What I would say is this, if you are a fan and there's a show you like and there are products you like, if you have the spare income, buy those products. If you want more of a certain product, you should buy it because that means we can still keep getting more.

Anime toys though have never been all that mainstream to begin with. Aside from that time Gundams were a thing for a while in the US. And we had a steady stream of DBZ toys from Irwin and then later Jakks. Mattel's Naruto line never did all that well.

PicardMan

Staff member
Nov 9, 2016
I wonder if it would've been easier for Dragon Ball Super's toyline to get into stores if the show wasn't on Adult Swim.
Walking Dead figures are easy to find at some Wal Marts (but not all.) Being anime seems to be the issue. Only the huge brands (Transformers, Power Rangers, Star Wars, Marvel, DC, Walking Dead) seem to be findable at Wal Mart. It appears that Wal Mart doesn't want Dragonball Super.

O-chan

Nov 12, 2004
Honestly I've come across anime themed toys and collectibles in places like Barnes and Noble, Books-A-Million, 2nd and Charles, Target (they have some collectible sections now), Walmart, Meijer, Fye Records, Best Buy, Gamestop, Hot Topic and so on. Not to mention your local comic shops may be willing to order some if you utilize Previews Magazine. Point is while Toys R Us was a nice location to find all that under one roof it's not the end of franchise toys and collectibles when they go under. In fact in my adulthood I've noticed how almost a lot of chains that pander to fandoms have actually made these thing MORE common so I'm not just reliant on online or anime/comic book conventions. Honestly I could stop at a few local places and get some decent One Piece and Dragonball "Japan-only" merch quite easily.

Reactions: TheVileOne

PicardMan

Staff member
Nov 9, 2016
Sounds like there's mixed results as to whether anime merchandise is easy or hard to find. I guess the Wal-Marts in some parts of the country are less anime phobic than others. I'm surprised it's so hard to find anime stuff north of the Red River because Funimation headquarters is like a three hour drive. Maybe I need to go to Texas Wal-Marts.

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
Mar 8, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
www.411mania.com
It's not hard to find really if you are looking for it. It's just not like as easy as say Star Wars, Transformers, Funko Pops, LEGO, etc. But there are a lot anime Funko Pops, which are very popular.

PicardMan

Staff member
Nov 9, 2016
I checked my local Wal Mart's online inventory to look at it's Funko Pop selection. We have Finn and Rey from Star Wars and that's it. I really believe that anime merchandise availability is regional.