Anime Conventions and Problematic Individuals

Latest News & Videos

PicardMan

Staff member
Nov 9, 2016
The lady in charge of the OKC Congoers Facebook page has written about the Steven Lin (and accused pedophile Robert Navarro, who happened to have a booth at Anime Oklahoma, even though he wasn't there in person) drama affecting Anime Oklahoma. Anime Oklahoma Drama. Update: Anime Oklahoma. Oddly, Lin hasn't gotten much written about him from the south side of the Red River, as that is him main base of power. In Texas, he seems too powerful to bring down, but other states seem to be resisting having his empire grow.

slai

Reporter
Reporter
Aug 29, 2011
Saint Paul, MN
I finally got a reply from the person I had e-mailed from the local geek community posting board/website. She replied they decided not to write about Kopf's conventions for the main fact that Kopf could sue them basically. I don't see other websites and places who post about Kopf's behavior getting sued though (i.e. Anime News Network). I told her I understand about her concerns, but I really wish they did post something more concrete besides tweeting links to other websites when news of his behavior comes in. I also told her I thought the other 2 staff members of the website basically blew me off on giving me an actual reason as to why they didn't post anything besides tweeted links.

AniMinneapolis recently announced Tia Ballard is returning, so I e-mailed my friend to forward the Anime News Network link to Ballard. I'm not expecting anything to change though since she already booked the appearance.

slai

Reporter
Reporter
Aug 29, 2011
Saint Paul, MN
Anime Midwest, run by Ryan Kopf, just announced a bunch of guests. I see Chuck Huber is going despite what happened during the whole Mignogna trial. I really don't know what his status is at Funimation because of the trial either.

PicardMan

Staff member
Nov 9, 2016
AniMinneapolis recently announced Tia Ballard is returning, so I e-mailed my friend to forward the Anime News Network link to Ballard. I'm not expecting anything to change though since she already booked the appearance.
She already goes to most of the Steven Lin conventions, so she may not be deterred by a con's controversy. Then again, Kopf's allegations seem far more scary than Lin's. It's probably too late now. The word about Kopf does seem to be spreading and it seems like some alleged pedophiles, such as Robert Navarro, have already been ousted by conventions.

slai

Reporter
Reporter
Aug 29, 2011
Saint Paul, MN
I only e-mailed my friend about Kopf to pass on to Ballard AFTER I found out she rebooked for AniMinneapolis, so she’s already contracted to attend no matter what. The other voice actor I had contacted already booked ahead of time for AniMinneapolis 2020 too. I don’t know if any of what I said affected anyone at least for next year or even at all sadly.

slai

Reporter
Reporter
Aug 29, 2011
Saint Paul, MN
Chuck Huber is an official guest of Kopf's AniMinneapolis 2020. I guess Huber's role in the whole Vic Mignogna affair didn't affect him on the convention circuit? On the other hand, Huber is a friend of Kopf too though.

PicardMan

Staff member
Nov 9, 2016
Can we add Kitchner Comic Con's staff to the list of messed up people running cons?

Reactions: Fone Bone

Dragnatek

Apr 21, 2011
Hammond IN
It really sucks that this sort of thing happens. You go to a convention to be yourself, to talk to and befriend people with similar interests to you and people take advantage of you. The smaller cons are the ones who really should care as incidents could potentially destroy them.

PicardMan

Staff member
Nov 9, 2016
The smaller cons are the ones who really should care as incidents could potentially destroy them.
In the case of Steven Lin's Godaikocon and Izumicon after it got bought out, they met their doom. It was sad seeing the new Izumicon owner kill a beloved event and rob people of thousands of dollars (still not enough for the feds to care and rumors say she fled across the state line after taking all that money for a cancelled con and not giving refunds).

slai

Reporter
Reporter
Aug 29, 2011
Saint Paul, MN
I just heard Chuck Huber’s voice on the recent season 4 dub of My Hero Academia. Does this mean Huber is still employed with Funimation despite his testimony at the trial?

PicardMan

Staff member
Nov 9, 2016
I just heard Chuck Huber’s voice on the recent season 4 dub of My Hero Academia. Does this mean Huber is still employed with Funimation despite his testimony at the trial?
I would assume so as he was still in MHA. Looks like he hasn't gotten a big role recently.

PicardMan

Staff member
Nov 9, 2016
Even with cons cancelling, controversy is still happening. Fans are still demanding that Steven Lin and Robert Navarro be completely banned from Anime Oklahoma, including not being allowed to vend.

Pretty soon, famous Youtuber Red Bard will release an Izumicon documentary in August, explaining the biggest scam in American anime convention history. That should be interesting.

PicardMan

Staff member
Nov 9, 2016
The revolt over Steven Lin finally spilled over to Texas and Ikkicon in Austin collapsed.