Animation's role in the streaming wars

The Overlord

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
As we know, the streaming wars are heating up, where various streaming services compete for consumer's dollars.

What role will animation play in the streaming wars?

Disney is making new animated content, like Marvel's What If for Disney Plus. A lot of Cartoon Network content is heading to HBO Max and they are getting the rights to the Studio Ghibli content. Netflix is getting the rights to various anime series and is making experimental animated series for their service, often based on stuff other platforms rejected. Nickelodeon seems to be dividing its animated content between Netflix and CBS All Access, which is rather confusing. I wonder if DreamWorks content will stay on Netflix or move to Universal's new streaming service.

The Master C

Animation will play the role of "differentiator" in the streaming wars. Netflix and HBO Max seem to be ahead of the curve in this regard, with Amazon Prime Video and Disney+ taking their time to catch up.

The Overlord

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
I think an interesting question is how some of the big tech companies will use animation in the streaming wars?

Let's look at say AppleTV+, which only has one animated show, a Peanuts cartoon. Which is not surprising, they only have 11 shows period. They have a ton of money, but really merger content, would they put their vast sums of money into getting more animation on to the service eventually?

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
AppleTV+ is only for Apple users. They can't possibly win the "streaming war" and they are not even trying.

5YearsOnEastCoast

Well animation on streaming is now biggest at Netflix, while others streaming services don't have a lot of cartoons (heck only 1 streaming service has more than 2 original cartoons so far). Also virtually all of the popular cartoons are on Netflix. The only other streaming service that MAAAAAYBE has popular cartoons is Amazon.

Dragnatek

DreamWorks right now is making shows for more then just Netflix as they also have shows on Amazon and have three for Hulu in the works. Seems they want to be everywhere.

Stupid tablet auto-corrected Hulu as Hulk.

Last edited:

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
The territories for the Ghibli Netflix deal include Asia Pacific, Europe, Middle East, Africa, and Latin America. HBO Max has the North America streaming rights.

So that whole "we're not going to stream Ghibli movies" was a great big fosh. Everyone's got a price.

PinkieLopBun

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
So that whole "we're not going to stream Ghibli movies" was a great big fosh. Everyone's got a price.
That statement was actually from 2018. The article that published it right before the HBO Max deal was announced didn't contact anyone for further comment beforehand.

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
That statement was actually from 2018. The article that published it right before the HBO Max deal was announced didn't contact anyone for further comment beforehand.

Polygon said the statement was made in 2019. Also, GKIDS didn't say there was a one year time limit on their statement. So...the spokesperson still technically lied.

Dragnatek

Apple just trying to rely on original content wasn't wise. There is a reason why Disney Plus and HBO Max are much more tempting from the get go, their caste library of existing shows and movies. The new stuff is still a huge draw but the old stuff helps.

Dudley

Staff member
Apple’s problem is that they don’t have a backlog of content. All the good ones are already tied up with other streaming platforms. And anything they could get would expire after a while anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Overlord

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
Apple’s problem is that they don’t have a backlog of content. All the good ones are already tied up with other streaming platforms. And anything they could get would expire after a while anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apparently Apple (and Netflix) are thinking about buying MGM Holdings:

I am not sure how animated content MGM has (I think they made that Adams Family animated movie), but really at this point Apple would need to get something or just give up at this point.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts