Animation on FOX Talkback 2019-2020 (Spoilers)

Latest News & Videos

What are you most excited for

• The Simpsons

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Family Guy

• Bless the Harts

• The Great North

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Bob's Burgers

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • Duncanville

Votes: 5 41.7%

• Total voters

PF9

Jul 9, 2008
Ohio
Right now only 4 shows can air from 8-10 because of the NFL.

Come January the 7-8 hour will be open on some weekends. It will probably be open on Wild Card Weekend and perhaps Divisional Weekend depending on when Fox airs NFL playoff games. Fox has the late Conference Championship this season so no Animation Domination that week.

After the Super Bowl is played the 7-8 hour will likely air new episodes on a pretty consistent basis.

Both of the shows slated for midseason, Duncanville and The Great North, are 20th Century Fox productions as is the new show Bless the Harts and the existing shows. Duncanville is additionally co-produced by NBC.

I hope we get another Brian and Stewie "Road To" Episode in the future.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Framingham, MA
Before we begin I want to let everyone know I will not be reviewing Bless The Harts this season or ever. The first episode was almost as bad as Allen Gregory, and I won't be back. It had every single one of King Of The Hill's worst faults and none of that show's unusual virtues. I don't see it lasting long. Hope Fox has a better cartoon replacement in the wings. They will need it soon.

The Simpsons "The Winter Of Our Monetized Content"

Not feelin' it. To be honest, over the summer Al Jean has made some statements and decisions regarding this show that have disgusted me. I'm not as disgusted with the franchise as I am Pixar, but I DID go into this episode a skeptic with hard feelings, and they didn't win me back yet.

The whole outsourcing detention thing is one of the show's biggest weaknesses. They are so hard-up for problems for the characters to go through that they make up their ideas whole-cloth using a ridiculous scenario nobody goes through, and nobody can relate to. I am well aware the show isn't actually satirizing anything. It's making a problem up and satirizing the figments of the writers' imaginations. Let's just say that is an ineffective way to parody and leave it at that.

Who is Mike Mendel?

John Mulaney is pretty funny, but he also doesn't strike me as a voice guy. If a celebrity isn't playing themselves on the show, it helps if their voices lend themselves to animation. Ray Romano is a very good example. As is Amy Poehler. But the show often doesn't do that. If the voice isn't memorable enough, and I have to read the credits to find out who it is, it's not as enjoyable an experience as realizing who the voice is as the episode goes on.

Like that Comic Book Guy still has his girlfriend, and she still hasn't bolted for the door yet. More power to them both.

Moe comes from the sewer. As if we couldn't guess. The dude is the definition of a Chud.

My feelings towards the show are still running cold. We'll see how they do next week. ***.

Bob's Burgers "The Ring (But Not Scary)"

I mostly didn't like that. I saw every bad thing with the ring coming, and I didn't like that they didn't get it back. They played the ending with the birds as bittersweet, but I found it unsatisfying instead.

But there was one thing I really liked. I really like how amazing Nat is. She's like a perfect person, and I want to see even more of her. And it's the fact that she's so great and helpful which is partly WHY I'm do disappointed the search was a bust.

Seeing the way Bob was mad at the kids reminds me that he's NEVER actually mad at them. He doesn't know how to do it right. He says they aren't his kids, and doesn't have the sense to realize that's out of line and walk it back. He doesn't know where the line is because he doesn't ever get mad at them. I am not disgusted with Bob saying that because the guy is so reasonable about all of the crap his kids put him through, and I instantly relate to and understand him not knowing the proper response to actually being mad at all. It actually endears me to Bob even more. How weird is that? A parent telling his kids they aren't his kids anymore is endearing. And in this case it's actually true.

As you can see, there were things in the episode I liked. But not enough to actually recommend the episode as a whole. I was disappointed. **1/2.

Family Guy "Yacht Rocky"

Normally when I give an episode of Family Guy zero stars I have a solid reason for doing it. Perhaps I found the plot offensive. Perhaps one of the deplorable characters like Peter or Brian went too far. There was none of that this episode. It was a normal episode. It just whiffed everything. The one decent thing was Head On A Balcony. And it was only decent. It was no Frog In A Shoebox. I only compare it favorably to the terrible Whale And A Forklift, and Cherrypicker And A Park Bench. Everything else in the episode was just ineffective and unfunny.

What was Bob Welch? Or Tom Welch? Who cares? That joke wasn't funny the first time, much less funny enough to call back to it all throughout the episode. And Bonnie is having an affair. That strikes me as something that does not belong in a throwaway joke, especially considering the things that marriage has gone through. Chris and Stewie as a married couple didn't make a bit of sense either. Brian is the guy Stewie talks that way to. I guess the show just figured that Brian wouldn't be in a scene quite so openly gay. But it just sucked.

Meg and her new boyfriend grated too. Albino poops?

And the Cleveland being an apple expert thing is the kind of minutia the show is great at giving the secondary characters. Except the show is usually wise enough to give the character INTERESTING hobbies and insights. Nobody actually cares about apples.

And am I the only one who is upset that in an episode that references both The Poseidon Adventure and Star Trek IV, there wasn't a single scene of a character being forced to hold their breath underwater for a ridiculously unrealistic amount of time? That's pretty inexcusable, especially for a franchise that claims to be knowledgeable about popular culture.

And was the episode really that difficult to write that they had to go with a non-ending cop-out? Did the writers sincerely believe they painted themselves into a corner with THAT scenario? Because if they did, they are probably pretty lousy writers.

Peter's thing with the umpire bordered on clever but not enough for me to change my grade.

This was a bad night for Fox animation. The Simpsons won, which is alarming. Because that Simpsons episode sucked. But everything else was even worse.

Almost nothing worked in the episode. It was a dud. 0.

Daffyfan2002

$enior member
Feb 7, 2002
Visit site
And was the episode really that difficult to write that they had to go with a non-ending cop-out? Did the writers sincerely believe they painted themselves into a corner with THAT scenario? Because if they did, they are probably pretty lousy writers.
I agree completely. Are they going to do this with every episode now? Have things be resolved with no possible explanation, like they all imagined the whole thing and the Casey Kasem reference? Zoinks!

Reactions: Fone Bone

Mostezli

Corroborating with EVIL
May 28, 2014
Really enjoyed that premiere of Bless the Harts. Can't wait for more.
Haven't bothered with the rest.

Dantheman

Dec 1, 2005
Michigan USA
Sunday's episode of Family Guy convinced me Seth McFarlane is pulling a Wacky Delly-like stunt in order to get Fox to cancel Family Guy. There's no other explanation for that ending.

ToonsJazzLover

Jan 31, 2010
Laredo, TX
Since I'm burned out of both Simpsons and Bob's Burgers, I'm only watching Family Guy and any new animated shows. Just like SpongeBob and South Park, I don't want to support cash cow shows anymore if they're preventing new cartoons from Nick/FOX/Comedy Central succeeding.

Anyway, Yacht Rocky was an okay episode. The only major flaws were the beginning and the ending. The first few minutes was a little obnoxious with the umpire having a loud argument with Peter. As soon as we get to the ship, the episode picked up for the most part. I hate that scene with Bonnie. It's clear Jennifer Tilly just don't want to do Family Guy anymore if her character is going to get worse every passing appearance since Foreign Affairs happened (with some rare exceptions). The jokes peaked in act two, although I don't get why they need to remind us about Bob Welsh. As soon as the episode starts to pull a Poisedon, things went south again. And let me honest right now: ever since Send in Stewie Please came out, the writers has basically gave up at ending an episode. They don't care anymore, and make these random minute long act 4 scenes just to call it a day. Might have to give this one a 5/10, since the flaws are so obvious here, despite rating it a 6/10. Alec Sulkin (current showrunner), please go back to two commercial breaks instead of three.

Full review of Bless the Harts is coming soon, and let just say that it had a better first episode than every single FOX animated pilot in the past 10 years. I'll give it a 6/10 so far.

JTOONSAnimation

Jul 24, 2016
Sunday's episode of Family Guy convinced me Seth McFarlane is pulling a Wacky Delly-like stunt in order to get Fox to cancel Family Guy. There's no other explanation for that ending.
Seth hasn't been involved in writing/structuring an episode in nearly a decade, I'm sure he could or couldn't care less if the show ends, and even then the decision would be made by Fox, not him. As for the ending, it was probably likely more due to time, the pre-final scene was already cutting in at nearly 21 minutes, yeah they could've ended it in a more story structural way, but it is Family Guy.

JTOONSAnimation

Jul 24, 2016
*SORRY FOR DOUBLE POST*

Ratings
RankShowViewers
1The Simpsons (8pm)2,329,000
2Family Guy (9:30pm)1,879,000
3Bob's Burgers (9pm)1,817,000
4Bless the Harts (8:30pm)1,815,000

As per usual, The Simpsons and Family Guy were the most watched shows of the night, even in the post-Simpsons slot, Bless the Harts was the least watched show, if Bob's remained in the slot, the numbers might've been slightly higher. If this continues, there might be a shakeup in the lineup.

Last edited:

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Framingham, MA
I'm betting people tuned out of Bless the Harts after five minutes. It was that bad. I only stayed through the entire thing out of a sense of fairness. I don't expect that from anybody else.

Classic Speedy

Yup.
Staff member
Reporter
May 13, 2003
Fone Bone said:
Who is Mike Mendel?
He was a producer on The Simpsons and a number of other animated shows. He passed away recently.

And yeah, Bless the Harts didn't do much for me. Part of what turned me off were the character designs; they're just very unappealing to look at.

Last edited:

copper20

Eric
Jan 17, 2012
Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas
Alec Sulkin (current showrunner), please go back to two commercial breaks instead of three.
Showrunners don't have any control over how many commercial breaks there are, that complaint goes straight to FOX in that case.

I really don't even know why I even watched that episode - Alec Sulkin is making the show even worse in a different way with allowing the writers to drag on scenes as if it wasn't already bad enough; I SWEAR that literally every episode of the 16th and 17th seasons had at least ONE or more parts where it was dragging a scene on for a long time.

Any character who says selfie or anything like that deserves the death penalty. That word makes me cringe just hearing it, and this is coming from someone who can tolerate people using the r-word toward him or calling him autistic.

Then Bob Welch... yes, Bob Welch died. We get it. Why that was even a joke I will never find the answer.

The ending might've been one of the worst in Family Guy history. They're about to drown and then... "Wow! That was weird!" ...really? That should be enough for a writer to be fired on spot. I don't remember any episode in the first four seasons not having bad endings or doing jokes like that.

Here's what needs to happen to make Family Guy better: 1. Fire every writer on the show and replace them. 2. Fire Alec Sulkin. He's a horrible pathetic failure of a showrunner. 3. Kill Brian and Stewie and don't bring them back permanently or give them their own spinoff.

Last edited:

Dantheman

Dec 1, 2005
Michigan USA
About that Casey Kasem ender on Family Guy: I thought they were gonna reference/parody that one outtake of him getting mad over doing a dedication to a dog, but it was about his wife and children's fight over his body, which of course Family Guy would do. I honestly thought they were gonna do the first thing, but talk about subverted expectations.

Last edited:

LinusFan303

A Fan of Linus Van Pelt.
Mar 26, 2018
Colorado
I checked out the 2nd hour (because there's something else I watch during the first hour)
Bob's Burgers :This episode was fine , it didn't really make me laugh or anything but it wasn't anything awful maybe slightly boring but it was fine.

Family Guy: This like the first new Family Guy episode I've watched in maybe 5 or 6 years. Yeah, that was really an experience. I mean they really took somethings and dragged it out like they need to fill time. Did you know Bob Welch died? (Laugh?) Let's repeat that multiple times because comedy or something. A lot of the "jokes" were like that just dragging out something happening for a long time. The only thing I liked was yatch rock. Well, I tried, back to changing the channel when it comes on Sunday Nights again.

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
May 18, 2006
East Northport
Showrunners don't have any control over how many commercial breaks there are, that complaint goes straight to FOX in that case.
The ending might've been one of the worst in Family Guy history. They're about to drown and then... "Wow! That was weird!" ...really? That should be enough for a writer to be fired on spot. I don't remember any episode in the first four seasons not having bad endings or doing jokes like that.
I'd argue the first really bad ending was "Jungle Love" which was uber rushed, just a reference and an unfunny Meg death (which at least at the time was kind of shocking just killing off one of the main characters especially in a not cutaway before they made suicide a running gag and do it enough that it just becomes obnoxious, especially when paired with a scene that's supposed to be more plot releveant. See "The Unkindest Cut") but at least in retrospect had some kind of ending. Heck even the first super big cop out episode "Lois Kills Stewie" had at least an actually decent joke about it plus you know was actually a big and important enough concept that would warrant some sort of "let's just pretend this didn't happen wrap up." This... yeah just felt lazy and they've ended episodes lazy before so just doing so here doesn't count as a joke in and of itself.

Then again the entire structure of this episode felt so haphazard. Something like "You Can't Handle The Booth" at least had the benefit of a terrible plot because there was a more interesting gimmick going around it; this is just a standard episode and nothing connects. Like we knew Peter wouldn't get fired from the brewery (even though let's face it there really is no reason for him to be there at this point. Like the only reason they had him at the brewery for so long was because of Carrie Fisher voicing Angela but... they could of had Peter had any other job to work with if they just wanted Nicey Nash and Bryan Cranston to do guest voices. Seriously I know they threw away the original plans of Peter switching actual jobs from the original run but not like the brewery still has good gags to use anyway so move on when the big reason you stayed with a spot is GONE) but even the Simpsons does better plot passes then "oh you're stressed listen to this music that now has a cruise to go along with it." And really feels like the only reason they made ANOTHER cruise episode is because they realized they didn't have one that wasn't a spoof on the Poseidon Adventure so... now they do. I guess the Bob Welch jokes were because of his part of "Yach Rock" but yeah even the one with the captain wasn't funny and honestly felt like they put that in because though they repeated jokes they did before about Hall and Oates (though I admit Chris telling Peter "he is a millionaire. You are NOTHING" was worth a laugh) and Michael McDonald and yeah the whole Star Trek IV bit with the whales should of been the absurdity to end this one but no it kept going. I admit Brian being mad and splashing on them could of been funny if it was done harsher but... yeah just sort of lame as a result. Really this is just an uninteresting waste of an episode without any idenity or anything interesting about it. The Simpsons "The Winter Of Our Monetized Content" though having a terrible subplot at least had some funny bits about viral videos and Bart and Homer actually becoming more friendly getting their anger out for money is at least a unique way to tell that kind of plot. And i like how in Bob's Burgers you for once felt sort of sincerity in the kids apologizing to Bob and his whole speech to the water park owner and wanting the ring for Lynn really remind you "oh yeah there is actually a nice main lead in a Fox sitcom. Sometimes with Homer and especially Peter's shennigans it's hard to remember that" which is nice. And still waiting on seeing Bless the Harts to get a take on that but yeah not a good week for this season of Fox. Hopefully the simpsons at least has some solid holiday episodes as we're coming up not only on the 30th Treehouse of Horror episode but official 30th anniversary of the show so that should be something worth celebrating.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

If Flintstones = Grand Dad, what does Yogi Bear equal? Grand Bear?
It took me all day and most of the month, but I finally got my 2 laptops upgraded (SSD, new RAM, replaced any and all broken parts, full cleanup of useless programs and salvaging useful ones). It was rough work, but I enjoyed every minute of it!

Someday, I'm gonna do this for a living, honestly.
Asa
What is with Nickelodeon US refusing to air the Pineapple RV episode of SpongeBob? It's already been aired in some countries, how come America didn't get it yet?
Tex Avery's MGM Cartoons are finally getting a blu-ray release after years of us waiting, at last!
#RIPKobe, Gigi, and the others in the helicopter.