Animation Networks That Are Inconsistent or Inaccurate with Ratings

AnimatedFan01

...without a cause of errors/bugs.

Cartoon Network fell victim to this until 2015 when every original series (except Gumball and We Bare Bears) of theirs was rated TV-PG, some even inexplicably. I don't see anything in Uncle Grandpa that warrants anything higher than a Y7-FV. Ditto for Teen Titans Go! (not an original but whatever), Annoying Orange (ugh...I wish I forgot this one existed), Steven Universe and Clarence. I can definitely see why Regular Show and Adventure Time received the rating though, given them containing more mature content than any of CN's past material. And by the logic of TTG!, Uncle Grandpa, and Steven having been rated PG, I'm assuming that's the rating Billy and Mandy, Cow and Chicken, Flapjack, and Johnny Bravo would get if they had premiered in the 2010s.

Qubo is also very inconsistent with rating their programs, often giving preschool education cartoons a TV-G or Y7, and non-educational fare a TV-Y.

Dr.Pepper

I agree with pretty much everything on CN rated TV-PG. Except for Steven Unigerse, which I can kind of see. Seriously what happened on Clarence that you wouldn’t see on Ed Edd n Eddy?

I remember Pokémon being rated TV-Y in syndication and Kids WB, even though it contained a fair amount of violence.

Qubo is also very inconsistent with rating their programs, often giving preschool education cartoons a TV-G or Y7, and non-educational fare a TV-Y.

What preschool show was Y7?

AnimatedFan01

Until 2007, Nickelodeon was definitely guilty of this by rating most of their cartoons TV-Y, a rating now exclusively associated with preschool shows. Rocko's Modern Life and Invader Zim definitely would not be seen as comparable to Blue's Clues and Dora the Explorer back in the day.

Also for some reason MeTV airs Looney Tunes, Tom and Jerry, and Popeye with a TV-PG label despite the airings having been TV-G on Boomerang and CN...unless someone wants to inform me that the shows were edited for content on the latter two networks. Kinda hypocritical to slap a Looney Tunes short with a PG label yet air those western live-action shows with a TV-G when they contain blatant gun usage.

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
Dorothy And The Dorothy Of Oz is rated TV-Y7 in America even though it's a preschool show (it's given a TV-Y rating equivalent in other countries, with Treehouse TV in Canada giving it a TV-Y rating).

Also, on the streaming side of things, both Archibald's Next Big Thing and DreamWorks: Dragons Rescue Riders are given a TV-Y7 rating even though these are DreamWorks Jr shows, meaning they're for preschoolers. What makes this notable is that other DreamWorks Jr shows like Where's Waldo 2019, Madagascar A Little Wild, and Doug Unplugs are rated TV-Y.

Dr.Pepper

Until 2007, Nickelodeon was definitely guilty of this by rating most of their cartoons TV-Y, a rating now exclusively associated with preschool shows. Rocko's Modern Life and Invader Zim definitely would not be seen as comparable to Blue's Clues and Dora the Explorer back in the day.
I thought Invader Zim was always Tv-Y7.

I guess when Magic School Bus was on Qubo, it was TV-Y7.

Low Spark of Lyman

Y’know, I think the poor guy's screwy.
Also for some reason MeTV airs Looney Tunes, Tom and Jerry, and Popeye with a TV-PG label despite the airings having been TV-G on Boomerang and CN...unless someone wants to inform me that the shows were edited for content on the latter two networks. Kinda hypocritical to slap a Looney Tunes short with a PG label yet air those western live-action shows with a TV-G when they contain blatant gun usage.
My guess is that they're thinking about kids when it comes to the Toon In With Me material. Not in a "Cartoons are kids stuff" way, but rather "Kids would be more likely to watch Bugs Bunny than The Rifleman".

AnimatedFan01

Disney Channel has aired most of its animated programs with a TV-G (the same rating as their live-action sitcoms), except for Wander Over Yander and Gravity Falls (though the latter would definitely be in line with TV-PG in my book). However when they first aired Phineas and Ferb in 2007 it was TV-Y7 before it switched to TV-G sometime in 08.

Dr.Pepper

Every Disney Afternoon show aside from Bonkers, Darkwing Duck, Gargoyles, and Shnookems & Meat were TV-Y when they were on Disney and Toon Disney, but they are mostly TV-Y7 on Disney+.
Also many classic shorts are TV-Y7 on Disney+, but they had a TV-Y rating on shows like Quack Attack.

Dr.Pepper

A couple more example popped into my head:
-Recess is TV-Y7 on Disney +, but I’m pretty sure it was TV-G on Disney and TV-Y on Toon Disney and One Saturday Morning.
-Animaniacs is TV-Y7 on Hulu. It was TV-Y on Nick, Nicktoons, and Kids WB. It was TV-G on CN. I don’t know about The Hub.

Erased Paper

A couple more example popped into my head:
-Recess is TV-Y7 on Disney +, but I’m pretty sure it was TV-G on Disney and TV-Y on Toon Disney and One Saturday Morning.
You really want me to go on about this? Fine... (For the ones listed as "varied by episode", I'm trying to figure out which episode is which, but it's hard, since ABC Kids footage is scarce.)

-'90s Spider-Man cartoon:
Fox Kids: TV-Y / TV-Y7-FV (re-rated in early 1999)
Toon Disney, ABC Family, Disney XD: TV-Y7-FV

-The Proud Family:
Disney Channel & Toon Disney: TV-G (all episodes)
ABC Kids: TV-Y or TV-Y7 (varied by episode)

-That's So Raven:
Disney Channel: TV-G (all episodes)
ABC Kids: TV-Y or TV-Y7 (varied by episode: 2003-08) / TV-G (re-rated in 2008)

-Kim Possible:
Disney Channel, Toon Disney, Disney XD: TV-G (all episodes)

-House of Mouse:
Toon Disney: TV-Y (all episodes, except for Halloween with Hades), TV-Y7 (Halloween with Hades only)
Disney Channel: I don't know.
ABC: I don't know. :(

-Even Stevens:
Disney Channel, Disney XD: TV-G (all episodes)

Dr.Pepper

I see that Kablam is TV-G on Paramount +. It was TV-Y7 on Nick and Nicktoons. I’ve also heard that it originally aired with a disclaimer since it was one of the few TV-Y7 shows at the time.

Zorak Masaki

What rating did Steven Universe Future get? That got pretty intense. Of course, Unikitty had some pretty dark humor but still got the Y7 rating.

Dr.Pepper

I’ve been watching Ducktales 2017 on Disney + and it’s rated TV-Y. I could of swore it was TV-G the handful of times I saw it on Disney XD.

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
DuckTales 2017 is actually rated TV-Y7. The TV-Y rating you saw is most likely an error. The original 1987 DuckTales series was rated TV-Y back when the rating wasn't limited to only preschool shows.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Today marks the 5th Year Anniversary of when the HD Double Pack of Final Fantasy X & X-2 was released on the Nintendo Switch in North America. It was nice to be able to play my favorite Final Fantasy game on a Nintendo system.
Alex Dudley's DToons YouTube channel is back after being hacked a couple of weeks ago. Good news.

Take a look at these cool posters.

Rebecca and Ian are LEGENDS!
If you want an example of what truly all-ages animation is, I can't think of a better recent example than Bluey's "The Sign". I have more to say, but you'll be hearing from me again ;)
aegisrawks wrote on Light Lucario's profile.
I loved your post in that Nick thread. I really dislike Nick's mentality of "It didnt outdo the Super Bowl, CANCEL IT NAO" and I am so glad you agree, even if you are more realistic and more wise.

Featured Posts