Animated TV shows that should've been

Latest News & Videos

AdrenalineRush1996

May 13, 2016
IIRC, wasn't it a casualty of the immediate post-9/11 media landscape? I agree that it could've been an awesome action cartoon for Nick. I wish there would be more cartoons with a dieselpunk-ish aesthetic...
There's another reason. According to Micah Wright, network execs including future network president Cyma Zarghami didn't like the premise along with those reports that Nickelodeon was against Wright's attempts to unionise writers from the show.

Frank Coufal

Jul 14, 2016
San Diego, California
Escape from Jurassic Park: Being a big fan of Jurassic Park myself, particularly the first movie, it would've been such an awesome and truly adventurous show to watch. After learning about the concept art and the plot for the planned series, I think it would've been a game-changer for not only television animation, but for prime-time animation, too.

Top Cat reboot series: Apparently Warner Bros. had plans to reboot Top Cat for Kids' WB sometime in the 2000s, but the formation of The CW put an end to those plans. Since I like and admire Top Cat, and given how WB doesn't do much with Top Cat nowadays just because the character and show are more popular in Latin America, I think they probably would have done a great job.

Untitled Gremlins animated series from the early 1990s: Even though there's the upcoming Gremlins prequel animated TV series coming to WarnerMedia's upcoming streaming service, WB and Amblin had plans to make an animated series based on Gremlins in the early 1990s. Even though there was already a pilot made, the planned series was scrapped after Gremlins 2 lost money and got a bad reception. I probably wouldn't have been born had it gotten past the pilot stage, but I think it would have really been something terrific.

The proposed revival of The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle and Friends, called The Secret Adventures of Bullwinkle that Tad Stones and Michael Peraza, Jr. were developing at Disney in the late-1980s before finding out that Disney didn't hold actual rights to the original show; they only had home video rights at the time.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Framingham, MA
Untitled Gremlins animated series from the early 1990s: Even though there's the upcoming Gremlins prequel animated TV series coming to WarnerMedia's upcoming streaming service, WB and Amblin had plans to make an animated series based on Gremlins in the early 1990s. Even though there was already a pilot made, the planned series was scrapped after Gremlins 2 lost money and got a bad reception. I probably wouldn't have been born had it gotten past the pilot stage, but I think it would have really been something terrific.
Gremlins 2 definitely lost money but I don't think it got a bad reception at all. Most critics agreed it was far superior to the original. And it was.
The proposed revival of The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle and Friends, called The Secret Adventures of Bullwinkle that Tad Stones and Michael Peraza, Jr. were developing at Disney in the late-1980s before finding out that Disney didn't hold actual rights to the original show; they only had home video rights at the time.
Never heard of this but I would have loved to have seen it.

Checkerboard

THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS
May 25, 2010
Cartoon Headquarters
Probably money. With each show there was less episodes, less merchandise, less promotion and lower mainstream penetration. The only thing we ever got was a poster back then and a hint in the Thundercats reboot. It's a shame though. ThunderForce looked cool.

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
In a Dream World
There was one Oh Yeah cartoon pilot called Planet Kate that really sticks out to me. I've vaguely remembered it for years, but I didn't remember the name until I looked it up a few moments ago. It has a cool premise, really unique visuals/character designs, Kate herself seemed like a potentially good lead character and it has a nice setup for an on-going storyline. It is a real shame that it wasn't picked up for a full series. I definitely think it had a lot of potential.

Although, after rewatching the pilot for the first time in ages, I can kind of see why it might not have been picked up by Nickelodeon. It might have been a bit too ahead of its time with being a serialized series. There were cartoons with ongoing storylines at the time of course, but most of the shows Nick had were slice of life and/or comedy shows. It might have been a bit too different from the usual kind of shows that they made around that time. I still wish that they had turned it into a series.

Spotlight

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Why did SDCC have to happen during the same weekend as Vinesauce Is Hope?
With how widespread the Joy-Con analog drift issue is, I'm honestly surprised I haven't had that issue yet. I've had my console for almost two years.
Is Nick doing anything for SDCC
I hope Trevor Devall is in the PPG 2016 reboot.