Animated movies in theaters post-Coronavirus

Light Lucario

Staff member
It just means drive in theaters are going to make a comeback. I saw Trolls World Tour in the drive in.

That would be an interesting solution. I'm not sure if all theater chains could financially recover with drive in theaters and I don't know how practical that would be for some areas, but that would be possibly the only way to safely have a theater experience during this time. There used to be a drive in theater in my area many years ago, but it was taken down to make room for a new theater's parking lot.

The Overlord

Yeah, theaters are not going to be opening up anytime soon. It is still far too dangerous and I don't trust people, or most businesses for that matter, to follow safety measures to where I could be safe in theaters. I imagine that some of the big movies like Wonder Woman will still be pushed back in the hopes of making money back, but we might see more movies being released via VOD format in the future.

Looks like California theatres are shutting down.

I live in Canada, but we get the vast majority of our in-theatre films from Hollywood, it looks some theatres may reopen up here, but we will not get any new movies anytime soon:

Also, that article is a couple of weeks old, so the provincial governments of Canada may nix that plan if they think its too dangerous. I question how many theatres will actually open, Ontario currently has a mask in public indoor spaces rule.

Last edited:

The Overlord

Most of them have already been closed since March, anyways.

Sure, this is just a general reopening plan by Canada's main theatre chain. Though apparently theatres have open in Quebec for a while, so Canadians can watch a French dub of Trolls World Tour in threatres.

Light Lucario

Staff member
Looks like California theatres are shutting down.

I'm not too surprised by that. If anything, having indoor restaurants, bars and movie theaters during a pandemic was an incredibly stupid idea to begin with. The amount of people going around without social distancing or wearing masks definitely didn't help matters either. Too many counties within California weren't following regulations or were trying to move too fast to reopening.

I live in California and while I don't see or deal with a lot of the anti-mask crowds in my area, the amount of people I see wearing a mask when I go out still usually varies. I go to a large park to walk my dog Clancy largely because the fireworks have made him afraid to walk around our block. They have a ton of signs that there are no picnic or BBQs allowed and all the picnic areas are closed, but I'll still see people having a picnic on old wooden tables and someone even brought in their own BBQ grill and left it out unattended while it was still hot. That's a fire danger on top of being a potential health hazard. If people can't even bother to stop having BBQs due to this pandemic, they aren't going to be responsible enough to wear masks so that theaters and other places could safely reopen.

The Overlord said:
I live in Canada, but we get the vast majority of our in-theatre films from Hollywood, it looks some theatres may reopen up here, but we will not get any new movies anytime soon:

Also, that article is a couple of weeks old, so the provincial governments of Canada may nix that plan if they think its too dangerous. I question how many theatres will actually open, Ontario currently has a mask in public indoor spaces rule.

That's interesting that Canada could have movie theaters reopened. Even if they have to rely on older movies, there might be enough people interested in going to a movie theater to make it work. Although, the priority should obviously be on making sure it is safe. I hope that Canada is handling the situation better than the U.S. is, so they'll hopefully hold off on reopening theaters if it's still too dangerous. It's also hard to say if that would be enough to help keep theater chains financially stable, especially when it's possible that they'll have to be closed down again if cases start to spike up again.

The Overlord

I'm not too surprised by that. If anything, having indoor restaurants, bars and movie theaters during a pandemic was an incredibly stupid idea to begin with. The amount of people going around without social distancing or wearing masks definitely didn't help matters either. Too many counties within California weren't following regulations or were trying to move too fast to reopening.

I live in California and while I don't see or deal with a lot of the anti-mask crowds in my area, the amount of people I see wearing a mask when I go out still usually varies. I go to a large park to walk my dog Clancy largely because the fireworks have made him afraid to walk around our block. They have a ton of signs that there are no picnic or BBQs allowed and all the picnic areas are closed, but I'll still see people having a picnic on old wooden tables and someone even brought in their own BBQ grill and left it out unattended while it was still hot. That's a fire danger on top of being a potential health hazard. If people can't even bother to stop having BBQs due to this pandemic, they aren't going to be responsible enough to wear masks so that theaters and other places could safely reopen.

That's interesting that Canada could have movie theaters reopened. Even if they have to rely on older movies, there might be enough people interested in going to a movie theater to make it work. Although, the priority should obviously be on making sure it is safe. I hope that Canada is handling the situation better than the U.S. is, so they'll hopefully hold off on reopening theaters if it's still too dangerous. It's also hard to say if that would be enough to help keep theater chains financially stable, especially when it's possible that they'll have to be closed down again if cases start to spike up again.

That is sad news about California. I think if theatres cannot open in California, we will not see any new movies any time soon.

Apparently theatres in Quebec have reopened:

So Canadians can watch a French dub of Trolls World Tour.

I live in the province of Ontario and most Ontario has passed mandatory laws for wearing masks for indoor public places, I am not sure how many people will want to watch a movie wearing a mask the whole time, so the theatres may simply not be popular at the moment.

Elijah Abrams

Just deal with it!
Sure, this is just a general reopening plan by Canada's main theatre chain. Though apparently theatres have open in Quebec for a while, so Canadians can watch a French dub of Trolls World Tour in threatres.
I was talking about California, not Canada.

Light Lucario

Staff member
That is sad news about California. I think if theatres cannot open in California, we will not see any new movies any time soon.

Apparently theatres in Quebec have reopened:

So Canadians can watch a French dub of Trolls World Tour.

I live in the province of Ontario and most Ontario has passed mandatory laws for wearing masks for indoor public places, I am not sure how many people will want to watch a movie wearing a mask the whole time, so the theatres may simply not be popular at the moment.

Wearing a mask would also make it difficult for theaters to make money off of food and drinks too. The health and safety of their customers should be more important, but I can understand the financial stress they're dealing with. Theaters are some of the many businesses that might not be able to recover from this situation, so they're feeling the pressure. I don't know how theaters are maintained in Canada or if people there are generally okay with wearing a mask, but how well they're able to keep things clean between screening and keep people six feet apart from each other are other important details that they hopefully kept in mind.

Ah, I see, that article seemed to imply some theatres were recently reopened, but they will be closed again.

I haven't heard of any theaters in my area reopening prior to this news. I suspect that they were at least in the process of reopening. In spite of the increase in cases, they were trying to have theaters open again this month and now it's pushed back to August. They're definitely not going to be open in August. I can't blame movie studios and theater chains for wanting to reopen, but it is wishful thinking that we could have theaters up and running again this year, let alone next month. They aren't going to be safe anytime soon.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
They're definitely not going to be open in August. I can't blame movie studios and theater chains for wanting to reopen, but it is wishful thinking that we could have theaters up and running again this year, let alone next month. They aren't going to be safe anytime soon.
Quite right, it is indeed wishful thinking and I fear that they're not going to reschedule it again, thus risking it like Disney has done with their theme parks in the USA.

Light Lucario

Staff member
Quite right, it is indeed wishful thinking and I fear that they're not going to reschedule it again, thus risking it like Disney has done with their theme parks in the USA.

I'm not sure if they'll be able to just risk theaters reopening in August. In order for theaters to reopn everywhere in the country, I assume that all of the state governments would have to agree to do so and I don't think that's going to happen. It boggles my mind that Disney would want to reopen their theme parks at this point and the people would actively want to go in the mist of a pandemic, but I suspect it will be a matter of time before they have to close down their theme parks again.

The Overlord

Apparently the thrid Spongebob movie will be released in Canadian theaters soon:

I will say animated kids films playing on VOD for 20 bucks is likely a boon to parents, for single adults renting a movie for 20 bucks can seem like a rip, but for parents with kids, that is a good price.

Asa

Apparently the thrid Spongebob movie will be released in Canadian theaters soon:

I will say animated kids films playing on VOD for 20 bucks is likely a boon to parents, for single adults renting a movie for 20 bucks can seem like a rip, but for parents with kids, that is a good price.
I wonder which Canadian theaters will screen the film?

Elijah Abrams

Just deal with it!

Light Lucario

Staff member
Sponge on the Run is number 1 at the Canadian box office, grossing $900,000. Let's hope it picks up in the coming weeks as more cinemas in Canada reopen, so ViacomCBS can reconsider a theatrical release for the film in the United States (in early 2021 at least).

I don't think that they'd reconsider a theatrical release of the movie. They could potentially get more money, but I don't think that they'd put to the movie on VOD and then release it in theaters a few months later. Plus, I highly doubt that theaters are going to be safer by early 2021 at this rate. Other countries have started to reopen theaters, but the U.S. is still dealing with a lot of cases and wearing a mask is still unfortunately a point of controversy. Theaters are still a huge health risk in general, but it might be less so for countries that don't have huge all time highs of cases, have better safety measures in place in theaters and more people accept wearing masks.

Since it isn't safe for schools to resume on campus classes, theaters are definitely not safe and they're much less of a priority by comparison. I wouldn't expect family films like Sponge on the Run to be released in theaters within the near future.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Can't they reopen theaters in parts of the USA? It looks stupid to me to have the same rules for, say, Alaska and New York.

Dr.Pepper

Can't they reopen theaters in parts of the USA? It looks stupid to me to have the same rules for, say, Alaska and New York.
Exactly. I honest think that the mask issue must be a regional thing. I live in Washington state and whenever I’m in public virtually everyone is wearing a mask.

note: I’m not saying that everything needs to open right now.

Light Lucario

Staff member

I've heard of some theaters reopening in some states, but I'd say it's still a risk. Maybe not as much if people within the area are wearing masks or if they aren't a hotspot, but it's still something that puts both employees and customers at risk. Going to the grocery store is a necessary risk since we need to eat. Movie theaters are not a necessity. Opening theaters in California at this point would be a disaster.

Exactly. I honest think that the mask issue must be a regional thing. I live in Washington state and whenever I’m in public virtually everyone is wearing a mask.

note: I’m not saying that everything needs to open right now.

I wish I saw more people wearing masks here. I live in California and I don't usually see that many people wearing masks in general. If I go to a small local park or walk around my block, most of the people are wearing masks, but when I go to a bigger park to walk my dog, most people aren't wearing them.

Elijah Abrams

Just deal with it!
They could potentially get more money, but I don't think that they'd put to the movie on VOD and then release it in theaters a few months later.
What I meant in "reconsidering a theatrical release" was that they would cancel the US straight-to-VOD release and put it in US theatres next year instead, depending on if the film is successful in Canadian theatres.

Light Lucario said:
Plus, I highly doubt that theaters are going to be safer by early 2021 at this rate. Other countries have started to reopen theaters, but the U.S. is still dealing with a lot of cases and wearing a mask is still unfortunately a point of controversy. Theaters are still a huge health risk in general, but it might be less so for countries that don't have huge all time highs of cases, have better safety measures in place in theaters and more people accept wearing masks.

Since it isn't safe for schools to resume on campus classes, theaters are definitely not safe and they're much less of a priority by comparison. I wouldn't expect family films like Sponge on the Run to be released in theaters within the near future.
Well, the FDA may make an emergency approval soon on a treatment developed by the University of California San Francisco called "AeroNabs", which can be administered in nasal spray and inhaler form. Something before a vaccine comes, and something movie theatres (and any other indoor business) should implement until then.

Last edited:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts