Animated movies in theaters post-Coronavirus

Leviathan

"It's against nature!"
Staff member
That article didn't say anything about the film skipping theatres. It just says that it might have to be delayed again. (Hopefully to September 18th, since Connected vacated that slot to October 23rd.) Decisions like these are also left to Paramount, not Bob Bakish, like in the article.

The article says that the release date has been moved six times already, twice since the pandemic started. That's a lot of rescheduling for one film, even without taking the virus into account.

Given that experts are talking about a death rate reaching the equivalent of 9/11 every day, I REALLY doubt the summer will be a good time to put out a movie parents have to take their kids to.

Light Lucario

Staff member
Yeah, I doubt that theaters are going to be up and running anytime soon. This is why places like theaters are going to be the last things to reopen. It's just too dangerous for everyone involved. I'd be happy to be wrong and things improve faster than expected, but when the experts' estimation is that grim before summer begins, it doesn't make me think that August is going to be safe enough to release the Spongebob movie in theaters proper.

Elijah Abrams

Just deal with it!
Given that experts are talking about a death rate reaching the equivalent of 9/11 every day, I REALLY doubt the summer will be a good time to put out a movie parents have to take their kids to.
I'd be happy to be wrong and things improve faster than expected, but when the experts' estimation is that grim before summer begins, it doesn't make me think that August is going to be safe enough to release the Spongebob movie in theaters proper.
Well guess what? Experts can be wrong, since there are medical breakthroughs happening as we speak.

Dr.Pepper

Yeah, I doubt that theaters are going to be up and running anytime soon. This is why places like theaters are going to be the last things to reopen. It's just too dangerous for everyone involved. I'd be happy to be wrong and things improve faster than expected, but when the experts' estimation is that grim before summer begins, it doesn't make me think that August is going to be safe enough to release the Spongebob movie in theaters proper.
In my state we are opening in three phases. Movie theaters don’t open until the third phase but only at 50% capacity. We are currently in the first and that doesn’t end until the end of the month.

Light Lucario

Staff member
Well guess what? Experts can be wrong, since there are medical breakthroughs happening as we speak.

As much as I love for medical breakthroughs to kick in sooner than we expect, I don't think the odds are in our favor. It's true that the experts aren't perfect and that their estimations might not end up being accurate. However, we are rushing too fast into reopening before it's really safe. I imagine that's a big reason why the experts' estimations for June are so grim. Hospitals are already overwhelmed, masks and other important resources are difficult for essential workers and people in general to get, more places are opening up before they honestly should and more people aren't social distancing, at least in some areas. Most people I see when I go out are wearing some kind of mask and/or staying six feet apart from strangers. I think that the death toll in the U.S. is already higher than it was in Italy too.

I'd love for the experts to be wrong not because it means theaters could reopen properly by August, although that would help more people have steady income, but because that means people would be safe. The prospect of that many people dying per say is absolutely horrifying and terrifying to me. So many people I care about are in the high risk category, especially in my family. If I could go to the movie theater with my parents by August without dreading if they could pick up the virus just by going out of the house, let alone out into a huge public place like a movie theater, then that would be amazing. I'd love to have so less internal and external stress at this point, but I'm not going to be betting any money on any of this happening. As much as people want to go back to normal, that can't happen anytime soon, especially when they do want to avoid a second or third wave of the virus. We can't handle the first wave, so having another wave or two in the future would be even more brutal.

In my state we are opening in three phases. Movie theaters don’t open until the third phase but only at 50% capacity. We are currently in the first and that doesn’t end until the end of the month.

That makes sense. I think that my state has been trying to reopen more places too, although I haven't heard anything about potential theater reopenings. I know that they're trying to get daycares reopen for essential workers and maybe some stores or haircut places too.

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
As much as people want to see movies like Soul and Connected in theaters, I wouldn't be surprised if they came out on streaming instead. Granted, they might announce this closer to their respective dates, but still. It's not the future of movies given that theaters will reopen eventually. It's just the matter of when they'll reopen so as to safely allow large gatherings again.

19MagiswordLane

Anime Superhero's Crooner of Carnage, babe!
As much as I love for medical breakthroughs to kick in sooner than we expect, I don't think the odds are in our favor. It's true that the experts aren't perfect and that their estimations might not end up being accurate. However, we are rushing too fast into reopening before it's really safe. I imagine that's a big reason why the experts' estimations for June are so grim. Hospitals are already overwhelmed, masks and other important resources are difficult for essential workers and people in general to get, more places are opening up before they honestly should and more people aren't social distancing, at least in some areas. Most people I see when I go out are wearing some kind of mask and/or staying six feet apart from strangers. I think that the death toll in the U.S. is already higher than it was in Italy too.

I'd love for the experts to be wrong not because it means theaters could reopen properly by August, although that would help more people have steady income, but because that means people would be safe. The prospect of that many people dying per say is absolutely horrifying and terrifying to me. So many people I care about are in the high risk category, especially in my family. If I could go to the movie theater with my parents by August without dreading if they could pick up the virus just by going out of the house, let alone out into a huge public place like a movie theater, then that would be amazing. I'd love to have so less internal and external stress at this point, but I'm not going to be betting any money on any of this happening. As much as people want to go back to normal, that can't happen anytime soon, especially when they do want to avoid a second or third wave of the virus. We can't handle the first wave, so having another wave or two in the future would be even more brutal.

That makes sense. I think that my state has been trying to reopen more places too, although I haven't heard anything about potential theater reopenings. I know that they're trying to get daycares reopen for essential workers and maybe some stores or haircut places too.

True. There's still the issue of how to reopen schools without having kids touch everything, a monumental task as well as how to handle the fact that they possibly can't see or hangout with their friends at recess (or heck, no recess at all).

Light Lucario

Staff member
True. There's still the issue of how to reopen schools without having kids touch everything, a monumental task as well as how to handle the fact that they possibly can't see or hangout with their friends at recess (or heck, no recess at all).

Yeah, some schools, especially really huge high schools and colleges, might have to stick with online courses for at least the next semester. I don't know how or if they could manage having hundreds or thousands of people all within a single school. Even the small amount of children in a daycare might be too risky for them and the staff at this point. Schools are much more of a priority than theaters and if it's still too dangerous for schools to reopen properly, theaters are not going to be back up and running anytime soon.

Elijah Abrams

Just deal with it!
As much as people want to see movies like Soul and Connected in theaters, I wouldn't be surprised if they came out on streaming instead. Granted, they might announce this closer to their respective dates, but still. It's not the future of movies given that theaters will reopen eventually. It's just the matter of when they'll reopen so as to safely allow large gatherings again.
Those films are very far away from now. Too early (and possibly never) to tell.

Dudley

Staff member
Even if theaters open back up, with social distancing causing theaters to limit occupancy, not to mention people being too scared to go in the first place, studios and theaters won’t make as much money from the movies. That will have an impact on how the film’s will be released. Studios will want to delay it until it’s fully safe, to ensure regular level earnings, or just release it straight to PVOD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dr.Pepper

Yeah, some schools, especially really huge high schools and colleges, might have to stick with online courses for at least the next semester. I don't know how or if they could manage having hundreds or thousands of people all within a single school. Even the small amount of children in a daycare might be too risky for them and the staff at this point. Schools are much more of a priority than theaters and if it's still too dangerous for schools to reopen properly, theaters are not going to be back up and running anytime soon.
Not to derail this thread too far, but I heard rumors in my district that next school year we are going to do half day classes. A teacher will get about a dozen kids in the morning and another dozen in the afternoon.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Link?

Edit:

To be clear, you have been posting misinformation about the virus on site this for weeks. If you have read a well-sourced argument from a reputable publication about a potential cure or vaccine you have an obligation to share it with the rest of us.

Last edited:

Elijah Abrams

Just deal with it!
Link?

Edit:

To be clear, you have been posting misinformation about the virus on site this for weeks. If you have read a well-sourced argument from a reputable publication about a potential cure or vaccine you have an obligation to share it with the rest of us.
Then how about looking up remdesivir on Google?

Mostezli

N0t 4 3very1 & Th@t'$ OK
Figured this was relevant.
Scoob! Tops Premium VOD Charts Faster Than Trolls World Tour
The biggest movie to release straight to VOD so far is arguably Trolls World Tour, which had the best digital debut ever when it dropped April 10. It reportedly made a whopping $50 million in its opening weekend on-demand. It even went onto best the first Trolls movie, generating more revenue in its first three weeks of digital than the original did in five months of theatrical release.
Now, the success of Scoob! may further complicate the relationship between studios and movie theaters. According to IndieWire, the new movie hit number one on both Amazon Prime and iTunes charts its first day of digital release. Trolls World Tour didn't make it to number one on Amazon Prime until its second day and never showed up on the iTunes charts.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also, in the news:

“I don’t think you’re going to see more family animated movies because that’s very saturated,” she said. “There will be more R-rated animated movies.” While Sony hasn’t yet made one, she added, “There are a couple we’re working on and we’re really excited about releasing our first one. I think you’re going to see PG-13 animated movies, which is something you haven’t seen before. Harder action-adventure sort of stuff.”

Last edited:

The Overlord

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
I thought this was an interesting article:

With the current spike in cases in the US, it seems unlikely theatres will re-open soon.

The new Spongebob movie is going to VOD:

Light Lucario

Staff member
Yeah, theaters are not going to be opening up anytime soon. It is still far too dangerous and I don't trust people, or most businesses for that matter, to follow safety measures to where I could be safe in theaters. I imagine that some of the big movies like Wonder Woman will still be pushed back in the hopes of making money back, but we might see more movies being released via VOD format in the future.

Leviathan

"It's against nature!"
Staff member
The studios were counting the notion that the virus would be neutralized by the summer heat, which has been totally disabused; We're in the middle of July and the virus is still raging, even more out of control than ever.

The current theatrical movie business, if it survives the virus, will probably be totally different after this. It was in already in a precarious position before.

Light Lucario

Staff member
The studios were counting the notion that the virus would be neutralized by the summer heat, which has been totally disabused; We're in the middle of July and the virus is still raging, even more out of control than ever.

Yeah, I remember hearing a lot of people expecting that the virus would at least be slowed down by the summer heat, but that obviously didn't happen. That might have been more wishful thinking or assuming that this would be more like a regular virus, especially when I read some medical experts saying to not count on the virus to slow down during the summer back in May.

Leviathan said:
The current theatrical movie business, if it survives the virus, will probably be totally different after this. It was in already in a precarious position before.

Even though it will be the result of such a major tragedy and will almost certainly mean more people will lose their jobs, I am kind of curious how theatrical movie business and the movie industry in general will change from this. Studios are used to spending a lot of money on big blockbuster movies expecting to get huge box offices results to make up for it. They might not be able to do that anymore. This might be accelerating streaming becoming the new way to release new movies. It might be awhile before they can even film anything new, although this might vary depending on where studios normally film and if they could possibly manage it safely with fewer people in the area. Even if things weren't as bad as they are right now, theaters are just not going to safe and it's going to be awhile before they are and possibly even longer before more people feel safe going to them.

Media Man

Yeah, I remember hearing a lot of people expecting that the virus would at least be slowed down by the summer heat, but that obviously didn't happen. That might have been more wishful thinking or assuming that this would be more like a regular virus, especially when I read some medical experts saying to not count on the virus to slow down during the summer back in May.

Even though it will be the result of such a major tragedy and will almost certainly mean more people will lose their jobs, I am kind of curious how theatrical movie business and the movie industry in general will change from this. Studios are used to spending a lot of money on big blockbuster movies expecting to get huge box offices results to make up for it. They might not be able to do that anymore. This might be accelerating streaming becoming the new way to release new movies. It might be awhile before they can even film anything new, although this might vary depending on where studios normally film and if they could possibly manage it safely with fewer people in the area. Even if things weren't as bad as they are right now, theaters are just not going to safe and it's going to be awhile before they are and possibly even longer before more people feel safe going to them.

It just means drive in theaters are going to make a comeback. I saw Trolls World Tour in the drive in.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

as a survivor of childhood trauma, I I wish everyone would leave Amanda Bynes alone. she owes us nothing, and I hope she's doing as well as she can possibly be right now.
I think most people are very upset and lamenting the fact that Nickelodeon (NOT including preschool shows nor nick@nite) aren't having regular new episodes since after Transformers: EarthSpark finished the season.

Let's hope we get new promos during watching Sonic the Hedgehog 2 tomorrow night.

I knew about the promotional cans but I'm just seeing this ad for the first time. I love seeing Daredevil pushed by Marvel.
Notable moment from The Rock.
The time when Gunther spoke Dutch in Friends.

Featured Posts