- May 11, 2007
- In a Dream World
What I meant in "reconsidering a theatrical release" was that they would cancel the US straight-to-VOD release and put it in US theatres next year instead, depending on if the film is successful in Canadian theatres.
That might be kind of risky. There's no guarantee that movie theaters are going to be a safer or more viable option. Studios are obviously hoping for that to happen and I can't blame them, but that doesn't mean it's going to happen. Just because the movie does well in Canada doesn't mean that they're going to put it in theaters in the U.S., especially when I assume that cases in the U.S. are much higher than they are in Canada at the moment. Giving this movie the VOD release treatment makes more sense than waiting for it to possibly be safer for theaters next year.
Elijiah Abrams said:Well, the FDA may make an emergency approval soon on a treatment developed by the University of California San Francisco called "AeroNabs", which can be administered in nasal spray and inhaler form. Something before a vaccine comes, and something movie theatres (and any other indoor business) should implement until then.
They ideally need to take the time necessary to do testing for these kind of treatments before making them available to the general public. The idea of having some treatment to make some places safer before a vaccine sounds great. I'd love for people to be safer, for businesses to function more properly and to just have less external and internal stress during this chaos in general. I'd just be very concerned and skeptical over any emergency approval treatment like that. As bad as the situation already is, I'd just be worried if the treatment either proves to be ineffective or causes more side effects and they missed out on learning about that until it's too late because they rushed it out the door.